PDA

View Full Version : I F$king hate this part of Ohioc

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 12:01 AM
I hope I get the job in Cleveland. I could dig being neighbors with N8YX, and the lovely DSG. I had a horrible day. I just got home today. I cleaned up the yard mess, and then a horrible storm moved in with 30 minutes of sustained 60-80 MPH winds. For once, I am lucky. I am not hurt, and my house sustainedinal damage. My neighbor has a tree in their living room and dining room. There have been half tracks filled with solders going up and down my road. The gubnah has declared my county and many others in a state of emergency. I am using my I phone g3 to post this. This beats the damage of the hurricane winds of 2008.
I am sooooo outta here!!!!

PA5COR
07-02-2012, 12:28 AM
At least you are safe aand sound, the rest is covered in insurance i hope, take care and stay safe...

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 06:07 AM
The power came back on after a 13 hour downtime. Those utility guys are amazing. The Ohio National Guard drove up and down my road several times last night. Like I can't deal with looters my way?:twisted: I have a helluva mess to clean up. There is someone's chimney cover in my front yard.

KB3LAZ
07-02-2012, 06:25 AM
In that area you would not have been too far away from me either. If you move that way I will have to give you a shout when I come to visit my parents next season.

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 06:34 AM
That is cool. Having neighbor's like N8YX, and his associates is awesome. I have some friends up there. That is where I stayed last weekend. Fred would not allow me to drive home 3 hours after what we drank!! He makes good instant coffee. I like the area, the folks up there are not as uptight as the folks here near Dayton for some reason. It would be good to meet another Islander.

n2ize
07-02-2012, 06:39 AM
The problem is this type of weather can happen almost anywhere you go. Especially during these record breaking heat waves, Most people complain about winter weather. But IMHO summer is much nastier.

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 06:54 AM
This area I live in has the most extreme weather i have ever seen. My house has been flooded out about 7 times. I am not near a creek, river, or stream. 4 days of continuous rain (happens alot) the 2 sump pumps cannot keep up. I have replaced the furnace 6 times in 18 years due to flooding. 5, or 6 sets of washer/dryers. My roof shingles have been replaced 5 times in 18 years. I lost a standard 60' tower, and a Rohn 70' tower that was guyed. i have lost an A3 tribander, and a Mosley tribander +WARC. I normally can sit on my front porch and witness at least 2 funnel clouds roll by every year, and that is when I am at home. I am moving, at my age I don't need the stress that the weather brings here.

N8YX
07-02-2012, 07:11 AM
July 4, 1969 - our area had a derecho event:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/jul41969page.htm

I was 7 at the time and remember looking at the sky all afternoon long, remarking to my family that something bad was coming...but who pays attention to a kid? My aunt's place had three big walnut trees blown down; the largest was close to 100ft in height. The westernmost one of the group fell at an angle which was roughly 90 degrees to the direction of the gust front. Strange.

The whole affair was one hell of a blow job. Naturally, my uncle and two oldest cousins were down on the riverbank - catfishing and drinking beer. They didn't break camp even when the worst of it rolled through, as some things simply cannot be interrupted. Funny thing is that my uncle pulled in a very large channel cat shortly after the storms had departed the area.

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 07:30 AM
There is what used to be my neighbor's house under this.

This is my other neighbor's front yard.

I remember the Xenia, Ohio tornado of 1974 (two combined F5 tornados) The damage was maybe 2 square miles. This shit here is everywhere. I have never seen this kind of a weather event before. I have lived through 2 tornados. They only last a minute or so. The sustained wind yesterday was over 30 minutes. I am a happy camper now that the power is back on.

W3WN
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM
That is cool. Having neighbor's like N8YX, and his associates is awesome. I have some friends up there. That is where I stayed last weekend. Fred would not allow me to drive home 3 hours after what we drank!! He makes good instant coffee. I like the area, the folks up there are not as uptight as the folks here near Dayton for some reason. It would be good to meet another Islander.N8YX & 'DSG are good neighbors to have.

But Cleveland?

KK4AMI
07-02-2012, 07:36 AM
TA DA! I'm back, but still up on my 8ooo watt generator. Charlottesville received a major blow Friday of 60 to 80 mile an hour winds. Still no power and 100 degree heat! We are on a well, so I needed the generator anyway. I power the well, the A/C, freezer and a few other things by moving my extension cords around :) We have major tree clean up. I do a little each morning while its cool (80 degrees F). I don't expect we will have power back until 11 JUL. I never saw my wife so happy to go to work as she was this morning!

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Gotta go where the job opportunities are. This is a good international company, almost recession proof as they are the only place in the world that does what they do.

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
TA DA! I'm back, but still up on my 8ooo watt generator. Charlottesville received a major blow Friday of 60 to 80 mile an hour winds. Still no power and 100 degree heat! We are on a well, so I needed the generator anyway. I power the well, the A/C, freezer and a few other things by moving my extension cords around :) We have major tree clean up. I do a little each morning while its cool (80 degrees F). I don't expect we will have power back until 11 JUL. I never saw my wife so happy to go to work as she was this morning!Glad to hear you are dealing with this shit well. I need a generator as the power in the rural area where I live probably drops out about 6-7 times a year. The longest was 7 days back in the 2008 hurricane wind storm. yeah, who woodda thunk hurricane winds in Ohio?

KC2UGV
07-02-2012, 07:51 AM
TA DA! I'm back, but still up on my 8ooo watt generator. Charlottesville received a major blow Friday of 60 to 80 mile an hour winds. Still no power and 100 degree heat! We are on a well, so I needed the generator anyway. I power the well, the A/C, freezer and a few other things by moving my extension cords around :) We have major tree clean up. I do a little each morning while its cool (80 degrees F). I don't expect we will have power back until 11 JUL. I never saw my wife so happy to go to work as she was this morning!

Glad to hear you're ok :) Drink water from your nice, cold well; and don't push yourself too hard in the heat. 100 Deg F: 45 minutes on, 15 minutes off.

W5GA
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Glad you're ok, Tim. Remember, this too shall pass.

K7SGJ
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Glad to hear you're ok :) Drink water from your nice, cold well; and don't push yourself too hard in the heat. 100 Deg F: 45 minutes on, 15 minutes off.

I don't think I was ever able to go 45 on 15 off.

KK4AMI
07-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Glad to hear you are dealing with this shit well. I need a generator as the power in the rural area where I live probably drops out about 6-7 times a year. The longest was 7 days back in the 2008 hurricane wind storm. yeah, who woodda thunk hurricane winds in Ohio?

Thanks all. I'm doing fine. I'm on a well and way out in the forests of Virginia. All of our power lines run through heavily forested areas which always fall apart during storms. After going through gallons of bottled water during our last two hurricanes because of loosing power, I went to Lowes and bought the cheapest Generator I could find to power the Red Head well pump. I put in a cut off switch and external plug to hook it into a well. That Generator has been sitting in my garage for 4 years, unused except for testing. Now, oh what a relief it is!

PS- I also have a situation where I inadvertently created a solar water heater. My water tank is in a closet in my garage. Its stinking hot in that garage so I still get warm showers without powering the water heater!

KK4AMI
07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
One more item.

LESSONS LEARNED

1. I hardwired the water pump circuit so I can plug the generator into it from outside the house.I chose to use extension cords for everything else. Why because I'm lazy and cheap. I ran two extension cords into the garage to power a refrig and freezer. I also ran one extension cord and a 220V extension cord into our enclosed patio (serves as our family room). Those power the home entertainment stuff and a portable heat pump/AC unit. Seemed easy in principal, but after three days of tripping over them, the wife "SUGGESTS" I hardwire them to! Plus the heavy cables are doing damage to the door they pass through. Its amazing how two old people and two dogs don't pick up their feet when they walk. The Dogs trip over them as much as we do!

K8LET
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
N8YX & 'DSG are good neighbors to have.

But Cleveland?

Nobody actually lives in Cleveland. When people say "Cleveland" they mean "the suburbs".

K7SGJ
07-02-2012, 12:24 PM
One more item.

LESSONS LEARNED

1. I hardwired the water pump circuit so I can plug the generator into it from outside the house.I chose to use extension cords for everything else. Why because I'm lazy and cheap. I ran two extension cords into the garage to power a refrig and freezer. I also ran one extension cord and a 220V extension cord into our enclosed patio (serves as our family room). Those power the home entertainment stuff and a portable heat pump/AC unit. Seemed easy in principal, but after three days of tripping over them, the wife "SUGGESTS" I hardwire them to! Plus the heavy cables are doing damage to the door they pass through. Its amazing how two old people and two dogs don't pick up their feet when they walk. The Dogs trip over them as much as we do!

I used to do that, too. Then, after the pack rats committed suicide several times by chewing my xtension cords, I decided the hell with it. I just back fed the main panel with 220 from the generator. That way I can run the well until the tank is charged, then run the fridge/freezer until the compressors shut down, and then, run the ac for awhile. I just have to remember to throw that pesky main disconnect first.

W3WN
07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Nobody actually lives in Cleveland. When people say "Cleveland" they mean "the suburbs".That's OK then.

X-Rated
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/Weathercycles.png

We had some bad weather yesterday. Not as bad as you guys, but it tore down some trees. Paul was right. The weather did come riding cycles.

n2ize
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
This area I live in has the most extreme weather i have ever seen. My house has been flooded out about 7 times. I am not near a creek, river, or stream. 4 days of continuous rain (happens alot) the 2 sump pumps cannot keep up. I have replaced the furnace 6 times in 18 years due to flooding. 5, or 6 sets of washer/dryers. My roof shingles have been replaced 5 times in 18 years. I lost a standard 60' tower, and a Rohn 70' tower that was guyed. i have lost an A3 tribander, and a Mosley tribander +WARC. I normally can sit on my front porch and witness at least 2 funnel clouds roll by every year, and that is when I am at home. I am moving, at my age I don't need the stress that the weather brings here.

This area I'm in is (knock on wood) pretty good when it comes to weather. Sounds like your main problem is the flooding. The severe weather will show up almost anywhere. Come east and you'll be dealing with hurricanes and nor'easters. There is little one can do to avoid severe weather. But flooding, yeah, a change of location can often solve that problem.

n2ize
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/Weathercycles.png

We had some bad weather yesterday. Not as bad as you guys, but it tore down some trees. Paul was right. The weather did come riding cycles.

Most we got here was a light sprinkle for a minute or two. Didn't even hear a clap of thunder.

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Well, it looks like I will have to get accustomed to 'lake effect' snow. I just got off the phone, and found out the director of the division I interviewed for told them to make me an offer. I am entering step one of the many steps to leave this awful place.

X-Rated
07-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Well, it looks like I will have to get accustomed to 'lake effect' snow. I just got off the phone, and found out the director of the division I interviewed for told them to make me an offer. I am entering step one of the many steps to leave this awful place.

as long as you're Not Eight Toledo Bound. Congrats.

NQ6U
07-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Congrats, Tim, and good luck! Hope it all works out for you.

K7SGJ
07-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Duckin fupe.

K7SGJ
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Best of luck. If you need personal references, send them to: www.hamisland.net (http://www.hamisland.net) :rofl:

N8YX
07-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Here's their HR director. He's gonna make you an offer you can't refuse:

N8GAV
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Good luck Tim, hope all works out for you. You get up this way you, me, Fred and his wife will have to get toghter, I'm only an hour from them.

X-Rated
07-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Good luck Tim, hope all works out for you. You get up this way you, me, Fred and his wife will have to get toghter, I'm only an hour from them.

That is so cool you guys are all getting together like this.

Tim. What about your new Beau?

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
That is so cool you guys are all getting together like this.

Tim. What about your new Beau?We don't get to spend much time together anyway. He teaches part time, and does some kind of monogramming full time, and has is own IT thing going on. When we do get some time, his cell phone is going off every 10 minutes with a call, or a message. We went to dinner last week, and he allowed himself to be interupted about 5 times. Might have been doomed anyway.

KG4CGC
07-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Duckin fupe.

Yeah! Congrats, Tim! Fuckin Dope!

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah! Congrats, Tim! Fuckin Dope!That's me all right.

suddenseer
07-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Good luck Tim, hope all works out for you. You get up this way you, me, Fred and his wife will have to get toghter, I'm only an hour from them.I will more than likely be 45min to an hour from Fred. The company is in Euclid. I am excited because this place has 90% of the world market cornered on their products. No job is recession proof, but this is the closest I have ever seen. From 2008-2012 they have grown 30% profit while the global economy tanked. I hope this is my last job. I have to supervise a staff of 7 people on night shift, while I do programming.

PA5COR
07-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Hope things work out for you, looks like a stable employer to me then ;)

N8YX
07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
We have a setup which is close to that of the 7/4/69 derecho going on at the moment. Hard to see in this graphic but the latest feed from NWS shows a pronounced bow component to the portion of the line which will eventually impact the CLE/AKR area:

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/Radar/day.gif

n2ize
07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
This area I live in has the most extreme weather i have ever seen.

Minus the flooding it sounds like my kinda place.

KG4CGC
07-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Considering how far north the jetstream is ...

n2ize
07-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Considering how far north the jetstream is ...

And in the winter it will be way south giving us yet another tropical winter season. Ah well, at least the stink bugs will love it.

KG4CGC
07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
And in the winter it will be way south giving us yet another tropical winter season. Ah well, at least the stink bugs will love it.

Not exactly. If it's north again in the Winter, warm air from the south will be further north. When the JS dips down in the Summer a temperate zone is created just above it.

n2ize
07-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Not exactly. If it's north again in the Winter, warm air from the south will be further north. When the JS dips down in the Summer a temperate zone is created just above it.

You sure ??

KG4CGC
07-03-2012, 08:27 PM
You sure ??

Are you sure?

suddenseer
07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
The storms have gotten worse each year for the last 40 years. Cycle? I don 't know. Something is up. Look up the insurance companies metrics.

N8YX
07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
The storms have gotten worse each year for the last 40 years. Cycle? I don 't know. Something is up. Look up the insurance companies metrics.
Could also be that cheaper construction techniques used in modern homes makes it easier for a storm to demolish them, while the older designs prove more difficult to destroy.

Case in point: The '69 event I posted. My aunt's farmhouse didn't lose so much as a shingle during that storm, while derechos of recent times have literally blown the roofs off some newer homes in the area.

suddenseer
07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Could also be that cheaper construction techniques used in modern homes makes it easier for a storm to demolish them, while the older designs prove more difficult to destroy.

Case in point: The '69 event I posted. My aunt's farmhouse didn't lose so much as a shingle during that storm, while derechos of recent times have literally blown the roofs off some newer homes in the area.You have a point here. My roof is in pristene condition. My neighbors brand new roofs are all fu$ked up.

KC2UGV
07-03-2012, 08:56 PM

Case in point: The '69 event I posted. My aunt's farmhouse didn't lose so much as a shingle during that storm, while derechos of recent times have literally blown the roofs off some newer homes in the area.

That's one reason I looked for an older home. They were just built much better, and if well maintained, will outlast many a McMansion-era home.

n2ize
07-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Are you sure?

Nope

KG4CGC
07-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Nope

Then do the math.

n2ize
07-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Then do the math.

... OK

KC2UGV
07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Vagina. Case closed.

suddenseer
07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
i am not crazy. they told us to stop driving until they could get the power lines off the roads.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/ap/financial-services/ohio-hit-hard-by-2-damaging-storms-in-4-years/nPk9h/
The Ohio National Gard is still out here driving around. We have power, much better than last night.