PDA

View Full Version : My Frankenstein Computer lives with a Fedora 17 OS.

KK4AMI
06-29-2012, 05:22 PM
The best thing about volunteering for an organization like Computers for Kids is all the junk I get to work with. Businesses give us most of our donations. Yes we have a lot of old Dell Desk Tops that were the king in 2003, but they can be made to work and we use them, but borrring! Every once in a while we get an unusual (Mac, HP, Toshiba) system that comes in from some private user.

Being a light week, we had all our repairs and refurbs done, so in order to avoid stuffing envelopes for the Organization, I decided to build something with Linux installed. We are limited to building licensed WINXP units only for the kids. I found a new looking CPU (Gateway DX4720, Year 2008 in the pile and noted that the operating system was VISTA. Great we can’t and won’t touch vista with a ten foot pole. I cleaned the CPU, wiped the 640 Gig SATA drive and tested it. Looked good, so time to gather the peripherals. We had a great flat screen (Dell 23 inch Monitor). The monitor had a DVI-D connector though, which I couldn’t use with the Gateways NVIDA GeForce 7100. No problem I thought. I went through all the crappy Dell business video cards until I found it! Not top of the line, but far better then anything I ever owned, an EVGA NVIDA GeForce 9400 GS with 1 Gig memory and a DVI-D connector! Ya! I even found an old surround sound speaker system.

I put that all together and then I had to decide what to use for an operating system. I chose to go with Fedora 17 (Latest and Greatest, right). I couldn’t get it to load for trying. After spending hours on the internet, I learned I had a “noapic” issue, so I learned how to modify the Grub file? Sweet Jebus, it all works. I ran a number of HD video commercials through the computer and surround system. I’ve never seen video (1920x1080) or heard sound reproduced like that before, at least not on the 12 year old crap I own. Best video was that Absolut Vodka video with the racing mechanical dogs.

Moral of the story, all the kids that saw it wanted it, our Boss said no, it’ll start a fight with the kids. She told me to put it up on the shelf until she figures out what to do with it (Probably take it home). I can’t believe somebody got rid of this thing. It’s a great media and 3D rendering computer. It’s old 2008 technology but still far better technology than I ever had to deal with or own. It must be nice to be able to throw stuff out like that, wonder what he has now? So far Fedora is running on it like a greased pig. Good Bye MicroSoft!

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx-4720-03/4507-3118_7-33317067.html

http://www.cnet.com/graphics-cards/evga-e-geforce-9400/4505-8902_7-33282604.html

W4GPL
06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
I approve. ;) I have to run out to feed the meter, but I do have additional thoughts/advice/pontification.

NQ6U
06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
I do have additional thoughts/advice/pontification.

Thoughts and advice are fine but leave the Pontificating to me.

--Pope Carlo I

KK4AMI
06-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I approve. ;) I have to run out to feed the meter, but I do have additional thoughts/advice/pontification.

I hope that's advice on Linux stuff. I got so confident with Fedora on that big computer that I loaded Xubuntu 10.10 on my old IBM T23 Laptop. That's an old computer, but I love it cuz it is small enough to almost be called a Netbook and it was still assembled in America. No problems at all loading and running it but it won't play any sort of videos off the Internet. I think that is an Adobe Flash Player vs Firefox issue.

n2ize
06-30-2012, 01:23 PM
How is Fedora 17 ? I'm running version16 on one of my newest systems. Which desktop are you using. I prefer KDE but the new GNOME looks pretty good too. U usually install several desktops so I can switch from one to the other. This system I am using at the moment is still running Fedora 11. I'm overdue for an upgrade, maybe this weekend. Actually it's going to be a new installation because I'm putting a new hard drive in here. So I'll install the new Fedora and then transfer over the /home, /usr/local. /mnt/temp , etc. directories from the old drive to the new drive.

BTW, when I put Fedora 16 on a new Dell 64 bit machine it worked fantastic. Everything worked right out of the box. Sound worked fine, video was set up right, networking perfect set up. Other than setting up the printer and setting up VNC and a few custom apps there was no tweaking or configuration required. Seems like Fedora is got it down right.

KK4AMI
07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
The copy they had there has xfce for the desk top. I haven't really done anything with the computer yet to say ya or nay on the Desk Tops. I think my boss wants to set up a video lab with HD cameras. She is eying that Gateway Machine. I'd like to take it home, but it will come at the price of a large donation to C4K.