PDA

View Full Version : TM-V71 echolink issues

KD0JZX
06-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Hello all, I have an interesting issue what I am not able to find an answer for after hours of Googling and searching forums.

I have a Kenwood TM-V71a and I'm trying to turn it into an Echolink Sysop node. I have (at least I think) setup Echolink correctly, so I don't need help there. I believe the issue is in the radio or a setting in the radio.

I have the radio hooked up to the computer with the serial link for control and the audio cable for both TX and RX, when NOT in Echolink I can get audio on the computer just fine. I can hear anything I receive on the A side just fine, so I know the sound card and hookup are good.

When I put it into Echolink mode however I do not get any audio from the radio to the computer. When I connect with another Echolink computer to the node I can hear the audio from Echolink to RF just fine, it keys up and everything from the computer to the radio is perfect. The problem is from the radio to the computer, Echolink gets keyed up (so the other station is receiving something), but there is no audio at all. I can hear the audio on the radio being received, but the radio is NOT passing it along to the computer.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? It's almost as if the radio has audio out disabled in Echolink mode, outside of Echolink mode the audio out works just fine.

I have performed a full reset of the radio and it has the latest firmware version from the Kenwood website.

Answer: After lots of searching I found it was an adjustment in the software (MCP-2A), not the radio. In the Data Terminal Adjustment section, the PR1 pin volume needs to be set to 8 or 9, not 3 as is the default. Once that was changed and sent to the radio everything is working great. I thought I would put it out here for anyone that has run into the same issue.

Thank you to those who PM'd me about it :D