PDA

View Full Version : College hacks drone in front of DHS

W5GA
06-29-2012, 08:08 AM
I'd call this a bit too easy for comfort.
http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-1000-us-government-906/

K7SGJ
06-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Man, that's scary. Cool, but scary.

n2ize
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
No surprise there and nothing really all that new . For years some RC aircraft enthusiasts and rc clubs all over the world have been experimenting with stuff like this and even pouring more than $1000 into it. Putting video downlinks into RC aircraft so they can be flown POV and beyond line of site and even zoom in on stuff that's on the ground as well as putting GPS, night vision, etc into these things. The technology is out there and its inexpensive. Depending on how much you want to spend it's pretty easy to build a simple short range spy drone that will definitely work. And the more money you are willing to put into it the more sophisticated and powerful it can be. Much of this technology is well within the reach of the average person.

ab1ga
06-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Wasn't this precisely how the Iranians managed to capture one of our drones? I can't remember all of the details.

KK4AMI
06-29-2012, 03:46 PM
More far reaching then you can imagine. It will be mostly an issue with civilian GPS systems. Military has been aware of GPS jammers and Spoofers for a long time.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/02/uk-research-measures-growing-gps-jamming-threat/

n2ize
06-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Well, its not surprising. As GPS is used more and more to spy on persons and track their movements in order to squeeze every last penny they can out of them its no surprise that people are going to look for ways to thwart the technology, including purchase of these rogue devices which cause problems in other areas. In some ways I can't entirely blame them except that it causes headaches above and beyond what these people are trying to thwart.

N7YA
06-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Ill be honest, when i saw "College hacks drone in front of DHS"....i thought it was going to be about some very boring, and very undeserving college students giving a speech to a high school, and that it went on waaaaay too long. Im not kidding, i was wondering how that became a story. The real story is far more interesting, thankfully.

K7SGJ
06-30-2012, 12:40 PM
It's that pesky comma thing, like helping my uncle jack off a horse.

N7YA
06-30-2012, 05:09 PM
It would require some help, have you seen one of those things??!!

W5GA
06-30-2012, 06:24 PM
It would require some help, have you seen one of those things??!!
There's a reason the military refers to a (3' long) stick of bologna as "horsecock".

True story:
My daughter was raised in Hawaii by her mother/stepfather. She came to live with us her senior year in HS here in Oklahoma. Many of you know that we have horses, one of which is a stud. One of daughters chores was to fill the water troughs in the evening before dark. She came running up to the house not long after moving here, completely out of breath. I asked her what the problem was, and she looked at me with eyes the size of saucers and said "Daddy, I thought hung like a horse was just an expression!"

N7YA
06-30-2012, 06:34 PM
:lol:

Nope, its very real. The lowly, yet dependable donkey can be even more impressive!

Its even a common term in my line of work. At concerts, all equipment on stage runs to one central terminal called the "Snake", this is run directly to the soundbooth out in the middle of nowhere. Thats a lot of signal to send a long way through a high traffic area, so the cable is particularly huge...if you say 'horsecock' to a soundman or experienced musician, they know its the snake feedline. Wrapping up the horsecock at the end of a show is no ones favorite job!

kf0rt
07-01-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm not sure just who, but somebody here deserves the "hijack of the year" award. :snicker:

n2ize
07-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Question I have is since the university hacked their own drone how similar is the guidance and anti-hack technology of the universities drone to those of the drones used by Government and military. Do the drones used by DHS, Military, and law enforcement have added safeguards ? Or are they about the same with regards to hijacking ?

K7SGJ
07-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure just who, but somebody here deserves the "hijack of the year" award. :snicker:

Welcome to the study of internet osmosis. I think that would be osmosology, not sure.

N7YA
07-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Question I have is since the university hacked their own drone how similar is the guidance and anti-hack technology of the universities drone to those of the drones used by Government and military. Do the drones used by DHS, Military, and law enforcement have added safeguards ? Or are they about the same with regards to hijacking ?

Oh, way to go and tie the thread back into the original post, John. We're talking about horse penis right now....well, for the time being...may change again, who knows.

K7SGJ
07-01-2012, 05:29 PM
And speaking of vaginas......

NQ6U
07-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Oh, way to go and tie the thread back into the original post, John. We're talking about horse penis right now....well, for the time being...may change again, who knows.

I thought we were talking about cable bundles and 3' long sticks of bologna.

N7YA
07-01-2012, 05:32 PM
See? Shit changes like Boston weather around here! :lol:

n2ize
07-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Maybe well hung horse drones ??

KA9MOT
07-02-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm waiting for one to come by my back yard. I'll bet I can hijack it with my $200 shotgun....... I'd be a freaking hero!

N7YA
07-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Maybe well hung horse drones ??

There ya go! :yes:

Imagine THAT hovering above your head.

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 06:22 AM
I'm not sure just who, but somebody here deserves the "hijack of the year" award. :snicker:I love the implied island's policy of encouraging thread hijacking.

suddenseer
07-02-2012, 06:24 AM
:lol:

Nope, its very real. The lowly, yet dependable donkey can be even more impressive!

Its even a common term in my line of work. At concerts, all equipment on stage runs to one central terminal called the "Snake", this is run directly to the soundbooth out in the middle of nowhere. Thats a lot of signal to send a long way through a high traffic area, so the cable is particularly huge...if you say 'horsecock' to a soundman or experienced musician, they know its the snake feedline. Wrapping up the horsecock at the end of a show is no ones favorite job!I have been stuck with that job several times. There is a trick to it actually.

N7YA
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah, get a googan to do it! :lol:

K7SGJ
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, get a googan to do it! :lol:

Racist

N7YA
07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Racist

Sorry....i should have said "Get one of those drunken, lowly Irishmen to do it!" ....oh, wait, thats me....

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Sorry....i should have said "Get one of those drunken, lowly Irishmen to do it!" ....oh, wait, thats me....

Huh. I don't recall ever seeing an Irishman that wasn't drunk. It's not a bad thing....just sayin

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Huh. I don't recall ever seeing an Irishman that wasn't drunk. It's not a bad thing....just sayin

By the way, your Callsake just made a 3hr hop E-W. Nice plane. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7YA

KB3LAZ
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm waiting for one to come by my back yard. I'll bet I can hijack it with my $200 shotgun....... I'd be a freaking hero!

Or you would piss off the farmer. Whats the matter with you, shooting his prided stud horse in the cock with a shotgun?

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Or you would piss off the farmer. Whats the matter with you, shooting his prided stud horse in the cock with a shotgun?

I guess that's where the expression "going off half cocked" comes from, eh?

X-Rated
07-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I guess that's where the expression "going off half cocked" comes from, eh?

Hee Haw.

Gloom despair and agony on me
Deep dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for half cocked, I'd have no cock at all
Gloom despair and agony on me.

N7YA
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
By the way, your Callsake just made a 3hr hop E-W. Nice plane. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7YA

I aspire to buy that plane one day...just for the tail number. :yes:

X-Rated
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/327/327853.jpg

Mine is a little performance prop plane. Yours is pretty cool too.

X-Rated
07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
She's a dupe.

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 08:18 PM

I doubt that I'd ever be able to afford more than 3 or 4 minutes of jet blast from something like that.

N7YA
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
I aim pretty high...now, lets see if i can 'cover song' myself to the top. :lol: