PDA

View Full Version : QSL card thread....

N7YA
06-29-2012, 07:45 AM
If you hate qsl cards, or think that exchanging or enjoying your cards is stupid, this might not be the thread for you.

But i was scanning my representitive DXCC cards so i had an online record. in doing so, i pondered on some of them, how cool the qso was, or how long the battle was to get that particular card and thought it would be cool to share some of my better ones with you...please, post your favorites. If you get a new one, post it here. Also, its as good a place as any to post a scan of your own card so we can see what ya got. We can only post 5 at a time, so thats what ill put up. Hope you like...

This was the first activation of Chesterfields, i got them with an indoor antenna and 100w, i was quite stoked to make it through.

I know we all have Finland...but look at that thing!! These are also the DX Summit guys. By the way, yes, thats a tower for 160...made out of other towers.

I also know most of us have C6, but i posted this as a tribute to these three gentlemen who perished in a small plane crash as they were headed out to put this station on for one of the contests. Death visits us all, and thats when i think of their families. They were great ops, much respect.

Clipperton 2000, i missed them in '84, even when i was using WL7E's shack to get them...the pileup was huge. I missed twice more over the years, but finally got them, and seeing this card in the mailbox was a small victory for me.

This one is a prize to begin with. I was using that 100w/indoor setup i mentioned before...lucky to pull them in at all.

Ill post more. I just ordered a small stack of current IRC from the USPS, i have to try and get about 10 more verified...some ive been chasing for many years.

Like i said, please post your faves, it doesnt have to be DX, it could be that SK elmer that really helped you out, one of those titty cards from Japan, or just weird and unusual cards...or DX, wouldnt hurt my feelings at all. I just really enjoy this aspect of the hobby.

N8YX
06-29-2012, 08:18 AM
What would The Island look like if it actually existed? Whose gear would we use ('murrican vs Japanese)? Would half the residents walk around quoting Rush and the other half spew Maddow/Olbermann? (Not likely, as there is a population disparity of sorts here.)

And who am I going to piss off if I post a scan of the Radio Israel QSL I got as an SWL from their operation on 29.750MHz in the late 70s? I guarantee you'll not get the chance to pull that one in again. :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
06-29-2012, 08:24 AM
What would The Island look like if it actually existed? Whose gear would we use ('murrican vs Japanese)? Would half the residents walk around quoting Rush and the other half spew Maddow/Olbermann? (Not likely, as there is a population disparity of sorts here.)

And who am I going to piss off if I post a scan of the Radio Israel QSL I got as an SWL from their operation on 29.750MHz in the late 70s? I guarantee you'll not get the chance to pull that one in again. :mrgreen:

If Charles does his job PROPERLY, it won't matter. Clear thinking and intelligible speech will be a thing of the past.

W3WN
06-29-2012, 08:26 AM

And who am I going to piss off if I post a scan of the Radio Israel QSL I got as an SWL from their operation on 29.750MHz in the late 70s? I guarantee you'll not get the chance to pull that one in again. :mrgreen:I'd love to see it... I have a small collection of SWBC QSL's from the late 1960's & early 1970's, from my SWL pre-Novice days, I ought to do that as well.

BTW, for those who'd love to display their cards but have too many to fit on a wall, or too many to choose from... get a digital picture frame and a small scanner. DX Engineering sells a combo just like that, picked it up at Dayton last year. Great idea! (Especially considering I now have over 4K DX cards, plus at least 1K domestic cards, sitting around)

N7YA
06-29-2012, 04:55 PM
I saw those, i think its very cool...but needing a battery to look at your cards is a very modern day issue. :lol:

As for the other things...well, post those Israeli cards and see what happens. :)

N7YA
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Ok, ill do a few more....:snicker:

No special story with this one...just bragging. :-D

Come on in, the waters fine...nobody will get you in trouble. :lol: I like those old vintage SWL cards too, would like to see a few.

KG4CGC
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM

Are you sure this one isn't from The Super Adventure Club?
South Park reference.

N8YX
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
About 99% of my old stuff is from my former call - seems everyone went electronic this time around. I'll have to do some hunting and scanning.

N7YA
06-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Cool....yeah, many of my cards will have up to 4 different calls on them. Ive had this one since the mid 90's and im keeping it. Im also the first one to have it so its more motivation to keep it.

W3WN
06-29-2012, 07:34 PM
OK, let's see...
I think the reason I like this card should be pretty obvious!
I like the view shown on this one
A few minutes into the IARU that year, snagged him on 20 -- right before the pileup started, since he represented (at the time) a brand new DXCC entity
Dave is retired now, lives in WVa not too far from me. I run into him at hamfests every now & then

N7YA
06-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Are you sure this one isn't from The Super Adventure Club?
South Park reference.

Im actually not sure im not going to be arrested for CP considering our overzealous obsession with justice these days.

N7YA
06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Yep, Ron, you have a couple there i still need. Very nice.....and KH6 from the east coast on 160...nice job!

W3WN
06-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Can't get these anymore. Bob is still around, but his long time QSL manager is a SK... confirmations via Logbook of the World are all you'll get anymore.
What's unusual about this card? Look at the date... this was back when KH7 (& AH7 NH7 & WH7) was still reserved exclusively for Kure, before the prefixes (except for the 'K' suffix calls) were reassigned to Hawaii
Here's another one that can be a little tough to come by in the future
You see? Puzant DOES QSL, if you can get past the mail thieves
For a long, long time... if you wanted to work Guam in a contest, this is who you usually worked

W3WN
06-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Yep, Ron, you have a couple there i still need. Very nice.....and KH6 from the east coast on 160...nice job!One of the two best DX I've ever gotten on 160. What was funny was that 10 minutes before, he'd worked my friend Bill W3WH (I heard the QSO), so until I got the confirmation, I was scared that he'd thought that one of us was a busted call!

NQ6U
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Here's one of my favorites. Not exactly rare DX or anything but the card is great—in a weird sort of way:

KG4NEL
06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Much cooler to browse through a thread like this than listen to those who feel the need to list off the last two dozen DX stations they worked on every net :-D

I have nothing cool confirmed yet...maybe Greenland on 6m :quiet:

W3WN
06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention above on Joel's QSL... many of the Guam calls that are now held by overseas nationals used his PO Box for FCC purposes -- without his permission. Which is technically illegal & could give the FCC warrant to cancel the calls & return them to the Group A pool. KH2D, who used to run one of the DX reflectors, used to kvetch long, hard & loud on this... but nothing was ever done.

A couple more...
This was one of the early trips to Desecheo, back before USF&WS decided to make it & Navassa off-limits to the general public... but they allegedly have their own private beach parties on both, which is another story...
Another one you could count on working in almost every contest (although a previous -- not the current -- QSL manager could be a real jacka$$ about confirmations). I read somewhere recently that the station is being dismantled for a variety of reasons, so the Galapagos could be a lot tougher to work in the future.

And finally (for tonight):
Right after I got this call, my friend KQ3DX (now NB3C) emails me & tells me he spotted this gem on eBay. Of course, I just HAD to have it (I've since picked up a couple more). This is from the original W3WN (I don't know if he was 3WN before, though); I'm the second one.

N7YA
06-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Ron, i also worked Rick, KH6JEB/KH7...i have the same card...but without the seals. I worked him in '84, so he probably added them later. I got him from KL7-land, so i still need them down here, i missed them on the K7K operation, its the last KH i need. Its cool to see that card. :)

And what magic trick did you have to perform to get Puzants card??! Ive never badmouthed him online, i never sent nasty notes, ive always enclosed plenty of return postage and my writing was clear enough to read...still no card, many years later...i just gave up.

N7YA
06-30-2012, 04:23 AM
Might as well do a few more because, as was stated, this thread is more fun than complaining...or making a panini out of your hand, this is definately more fun than that.

N7YA
06-30-2012, 05:06 AM
I like this one...always have. ;)

Got quite a few of the Gitmo cards.

I only scanned the front of this one. I got them with 5w and a makeshift wire. I was pretty happy with that.

ki4itv
06-30-2012, 05:23 AM
Yep, Ron, you have a couple there i still need. Very nice.....and KH6 from the east coast on 160...nice job!
That one stood out for me as well. Nice shot, Ron.

ki4itv
06-30-2012, 05:28 AM
So why is it that, on average, the typical whacker outweighs your average DX'er by about 120lbs?
:lol:

N7YA
06-30-2012, 05:37 AM
So why is it that, on average, the typical whacker outweighs your average DX'er by about 120lbs?

:rofl:

Excellent point and observation.

n2ize
07-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Have any of you gotten QSL cards from non-hams ? Back in the 1980's and early 90's when I was on the air a lot I was occasionally pulling in cards from SWL's. In those days I was mostly on AM and I had a pretty good signal so I guess I was pretty easy to find. Even the simplest and most basic receiver can pull in AM. But most of the SWL's who sent me cards were using pretty sophisticated HF receivers for the time. They were mostly devout SWL hobbyists. Still it was fun exchanging QSL cards with non-hams.

As far as my ham QSL cards, they were mostly from CW contacts. Nothing too tough, mostly domestic and Canadian a few European, Japan, and maybe very few rarer countries. Nonetheless I always enjoyed exchanging the cards and it matters little to me in the person is a rare contact in some far off place or right next door. I always gave all QSL cards the same priority no matter who sent them.

W3WN
07-01-2012, 11:49 AM
:lol:Dx'ers do.

Whackers... whack off?

NQ6U
07-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Have any of you gotten QSL cards from non-hams ?

Yeah, I once got an eQSL from an SWL in the Netherlands. I send him back a real card with a long note on the back and he wrote back via e-mail a few months later to tell me he'd gotten his ticket.

N8YX
07-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Whackers do double duty as road barricades. Reflective vest, flashing helmet lights and all.

N7YA
07-01-2012, 05:41 PM
They act as pylons around real emergency centers too. Doing important roles such as...keeping the donut tray lightened up, breathing heavy while hovering over peoples shoulder, stinking like BO, offering opinions when not asked for them.

Important things like that.

n2ize
07-01-2012, 06:49 PM
They act as pylons around real emergency centers too. Doing important roles such as...keeping the donut tray lightened up, breathing heavy while hovering over peoples shoulder, stinking like BO, offering opinions when not asked for them.

Important things like that.

The ARRL shoukld come up with a new product line... Soap, shampoo, and deodorant.

K7SGJ
07-01-2012, 07:01 PM
The ARRL shoukld come up with a new product line... Soap, shampoo, and deodorant.

From the HAMFEST collection?

NQ6U
07-01-2012, 08:15 PM

That's a great idea, John! They could call it Whacker Pour Homme or something.

N7YA
07-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Kerchunk! by Newington (Newington...newington......)