PDA

View Full Version : wierd FF behavior

W5GA
06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Not sure if this is FF or Win7. Every few seconds FF will lose its focus, requiring me to click somewhere on the screen to make it active again, which is most annoying. Anyone have a clue?

K7SGJ
06-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Not sure if this is FF or Win7. Every few seconds FF will lose its focus, requiring me to click somewhere on the screen to make it active again, which is most annoying. Anyone have a clue?

Old age, or you're caught in your zipper. Or both.

XE1/N5AL
06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
It might be a faulty program, or service which is stealing the focus from Firefox. You might try this procedure, from Microsoft, to see if you can narrow down which program is causing the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

W4GPL
06-27-2012, 11:57 AM
You might want to see if a Firefox add-on (extension) is causing the problem. Under Start/Programs/Firefox.. there should be a 'safe mode' Firefox option. Choose that and see if to doesn't still happen.

If you can't find that option.. do this: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Safe+Mode#w_how-to-start-firefox-in-safe-mode

XE1/N5AL
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Try Jeff's (W4GPL) suggestion before mine, especially if the lost-focus problem is confined to Firefox.

ki4itv
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
You know Jeff, Google still thinks I'm in Vancouver, Canada from the Ipv6 switchover thingaroo.
Anybody else here have that going on?

NQ6U
06-27-2012, 09:07 PM
You know Jeff, Google still thinks I'm in Vancouver, Canada from the Ipv6 switchover thingaroo.
Anybody else here have that going on?

According to Google Maps, I'm several hundred miles west of the African coast in the southern Atlantic Ocean.

ki4itv
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
:lol:
Well, Howdy sailor!
figured I wasn't the only one. I am learning bunches about Vancouver on google news. :yes:

W5GA
06-27-2012, 10:25 PM
According to Google Maps, I'm several hundred miles west of the African coast in the southern Atlantic Ocean.
ZD7?

W5GA
06-27-2012, 10:26 PM
OK Jeff, did as you suggested, no change. Any other ideas?

ki4itv
06-27-2012, 10:42 PM
ZD7?

:lol: Yea, Pope Carlo just became really popular. Wake up and get your logging fingers ready. You ain't in 6land no mo'.

XE1/N5AL
06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
According to Google Maps, I'm several hundred miles west of the African coast in the southern Atlantic Ocean.Google has located me at 600 hundred miles due South of the U.S. border. My neighbors: Enrique, Alejandro, Luis, Octavio and Benito seem to be having the same problem!

W4GPL
06-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Anybody else here have that going on?You're like one of 2 people on the forums who have IPv6. So.. I doubt it. ;)

W4GPL
06-28-2012, 02:28 AM
OK Jeff, did as you suggested, no change. Any other ideas?Are you running the latest stable version of Firefox? You could try to get the latest beta, it's running well for me..

I assume you're running Windows.. [what?]

Sounds to me like it's probably something outside of Firefox trying to snag your focus. Are you running any sort of aggressive 'web protection' software like Norton's crap or otherwise? Something beyond a basic AV?

W5GA
06-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Are you running the latest stable version of Firefox? You could try to get the latest beta, it's running well for me..

I assume you're running Windows.. [what?]

Sounds to me like it's probably something outside of Firefox trying to snag your focus. Are you running any sort of aggressive 'web protection' software like Norton's crap or otherwise? Something beyond a basic AV?
Running Avast, nothing else. Machine is W7, w/all updates, and the latest iteration of FF/with adblocker.

WN9HJW
06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Deleted

kf0rt
06-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Try Chrome. It's how I fixed all my FF problems. :evil: :yes:

W4GPL
06-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Try Chrome. It's how I fixed all my FF problems. :evil: :yes:Funny enough, I had been using Chrome for awhile and was chased back to Firefox after an exorbitant number of JavaScript issues in Chrome. Firefox has also made quite a bit of progress in the last few releases in terms of fixing memory leaks and other performance issues.

Also -- I just don't trust Google. ;) Their browser is pretty transparent, but it still gives me the creeps.

kf0rt
06-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Haven't seen any real issues with Chrome yet, but most of my use is limited to a few sites. The caching/memory leak thing with FF finally pushed me over the edge.

Anyone really tried IE lately? (Er, for Windoze). I haven't.

WØTKX
06-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I use IE, FF, and Chrome. Sometimes at the same time. :-D

A site that gives me crap will usually work OK with another browser.

NQ6U
06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Also -- I just don't trust Google. ;) Their browser is pretty transparent, but it still gives me the creeps.

Ditto. Plus, Chrome just seemed a bit flaky to me. I went back to FF. The memory leak problems appears to be limited to the Windows version, which I pretty much use only for browsing the Island when I'm in the shack, and is easily worked around by closing and reopening the app anyhow.

kds
07-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Once I get my bookmarks straightened out, I'm moving from Chrome to Firefox. Chrome seems slow to me and it crashes frequently.

TESLA
07-08-2012, 07:15 PM
OPERA for the win!!!!!1