PDA

View Full Version : Bug-out bag knife choice

KC2UGV
06-23-2012, 09:29 PM
So, trying to figure out what knife/sword-like/blade tool would be "The One True Knife" to make sure you have in any and all emergency scenarios. My choices (That I have on hand) are:

* US Military Issued Survival Knife
* Leatherman Multi-tool
* Gerber Machete
* UC M48 Axe

OR

* Something I don't have (Please explain)

I guess, which do you think is the "Must have tool", and why? I'm leaning more towards the M48 or the Leatherman. The M48 has the axe and blade, which would make a great tool for hunting/self defense/tool usage; or the Leatherman multi tool, as it has tonnes of utility to it.

But, maybe there's something I'm missing.

KG4CGC
06-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Colombian banana knife. It's like a small machete. Banana pickers used them to harvest bananas. It will chop a coconut and remove bodily limbs if you're not careful. Priced for the poor and middle class.

WN9HJW
06-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Deleted

KB3LAZ
06-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Im not much of a doomsday preparer type person however I have found my leatherman to be a useful tool in a lot of situations over the years.

PA5COR
06-24-2012, 03:04 AM
I have the multi tool pocket other brand leatherman, sold here for sailing boats, cost less, locks the tools really fixed, and is of better quality as well.
More tools, thicker handle and good quality pouch for the belt, excellent for daily use, knife, saw for branches, pliers, several screwdrivess, awl, etc.
It locks the tools in place, you need to release a catch to get them back into the handle.
I have a gaggle of pocket knives here from Buck knives, SOG knives, Al Mar knives, Spiderco knives, got them from a family member that passed away.

All high quality knives the SOG knives are quite large and very thick, so meant for serious work like the others.

The Spyderco is the Police type in G2 stainless. most come with 4 inch blades.
All can be carried on the belt and have them with you at all times, most use sees the multi tool with wirecutters and knife etc.

N7YA
06-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Corey, i really like the look of your list...a good standard combat knife for the rough work, a leatherman is always a great bet, a machete for underbrush and thick branches...and NEVER go out into the woods without an axe!

Of course, i will have to concur with 'HJW, if you are headed out to the sticks, bring a good rifle and maybe at least a .45, i love me some .45! Also, stop by the military surplus store aznd grab yourself a good little folding shovel, they should have boxes of them.

Oh...and duct tape. ;)

....vagina....bring one of those along too.

N8YX
06-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going, I carry a Leatherman on my belt, Gerber or similar drop-point knife for skinning game and a larger blade/machete for general campsite duties.

A service-issue Ka-Bar is tough to beat for general-purpose stuff. But no single tool 'does it all'. Load your bag accordingly, depending on the length of time you may need its resources.

W5GA
06-24-2012, 08:39 AM
If I was limited to only one blade in the bag, I think it would be something about the size of a Buck 110, but as Fred mentioned it would have a drop point. Big enough to be useful, small enough to carry and not get in the way. Locking blade is a must.

KC2UGV
06-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Corey, i really like the look of your list...a good standard combat knife for the rough work, a leatherman is always a great bet, a machete for underbrush and thick branches...and NEVER go out into the woods without an axe!

Of course, i will have to concur with 'HJW, if you are headed out to the sticks, bring a good rifle and maybe at least a .45, i love me some .45! Also, stop by the military surplus store aznd grab yourself a good little folding shovel, they should have boxes of them.

Oh...and duct tape. ;)

....vagina....bring one of those along too.

Well, having a gun is great and all, but, bullets run out. And, they go a lot faster than one would surmise. People lived for a long time without bullets. So, while I'll have a gun (Should the even arise), I don't see it as necessary, but a luxury item.

In all honesty, I think if one leans on projectile weapons for SD, then a crossbow, or normal bow would be better. Their bullets are reclaimable :)

I was thinking an etool as well, and I might add that anyways, as the case attaches right to the rucksack.

suddenseer
06-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I go camping several times during summer, usually in state forests. I have my trusty Swiss army knife, an axe, machete. I have yet to need beyond those three.

KG4CGC
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
I go camping several times during summer, usually in state forests. I have my trusty Swiss army knife, an axe, machete. I have yet to need beyond those three.

But, but, what about the homeless and transients living off the grid in the forests waiting for tourists to rape and eat? :-?

kf0rt
06-24-2012, 12:59 PM
But, but, what about the homeless and transients living off the grid in the forests waiting for tourists to rape and eat? :-?

Don't forget the hippies! Or is that redundant?

KC2UGV
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM

So, you would say take the multi-tool, axe, and the machete; not just one, correct?

KA9MOT
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
The Boogie Man too!

http://youtu.be/RKoZMke594A

Lions, Tigers and Bears! OH-MY!!!!!

Leatherman, for whatever you do!

suddenseer
06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
So, you would say take the multi-tool, axe, and the machete; not just one, correct?I cannot get by with one tool. I guess I could get by with one if forced to. My life has never been a hypothetical situation.

N8YX
06-24-2012, 03:36 PM
I cannot get by with one tool. I guess I could get by with one if forced to. My life has never been a hypothetical situation.
Ergo, my comments about what I carry.

That Leatherman is a good substitute for a motorcycle tool kit - at least for making simplistic repairs. If I'm woods camping I'll take a hatchet or axe, good long knife and some way to skin and prepare game and/or fish.

N7YA
06-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Well, having a gun is great and all, but, bullets run out. And, they go a lot faster than one would surmise. People lived for a long time without bullets. So, while I'll have a gun (Should the even arise), I don't see it as necessary, but a luxury item.

In all honesty, I think if one leans on projectile weapons for SD, then a crossbow, or normal bow would be better. Their bullets are reclaimable :)

I was thinking an etool as well, and I might add that anyways, as the case attaches right to the rucksack.

Im just thinking of portability, stopping power, etc. I never want to shoot anything, let me just get that out in the open, but if its me or a bear...a crossbow is bulky and the bear wont wait for me to load one single bolt at a time. Growing up in Alaska, the shit up there is big and aggressive. I know that the probability of needing to shoot an animal in defense is slim if you simply know how to read the terrain and pay attention to your surroundings, not to mention steering clear (i am on their turf, afterall), but these types of situations happen by accident more often than not, unfortunate as they may be. You already know my stance on guns and more importantly, the attitudes of gun ownership.

I agree with Tim in that i have not needed much beyong a good axe, a standard knife and a multitool, but its just a smart move to have a weapon close...especially in rutting season.

N8YX
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I agree with Tim in that i have not needed much beyong a good axe, a standard knife and a multitool, but its just a smart move to have a weapon close...especially in rutting season.
You're in brown bear country, you had better pack spray and a large-caliber sidearm. Think 460 or 500S&W, maybe a 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh...480 Ruger. I've heard tales of pissed-off bruins taking the almighty 44 Mag as a bad joke then subsequently killing the shooter before they expired.

N7YA
06-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Heard.

Spray is a great idea too, but those Brownies are scary bastards to be near...been close to one before. Blackies are more hyper and inquisitive though, at least in my experience. The worst, however, is a bull moose in mating season...most dangerous animal by far!

N8YX
06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Blackies are more hyper and inquisitive though, at least in my experience.
Brown bears are merely territorial, and protective of their cubs. You're part of the black bear's food chain and I trust those b@st@rds about as far as I can throw one.

N7YA
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Correct! Not many people know this....this is why i will be armed when in bear country. Theres no other choice.

W5GA
06-24-2012, 06:21 PM
If you're in bear country, quit bringing toys to the fight. I'd want a .338WM at a minimum, and I'd prefer a .458WM.

KK4AMI
06-24-2012, 06:21 PM
You guys have great ideas but what will the actual world turn into? Assume a calamity drives the population into the forests. If the human population takes to the woods, we quickly become the most feared species in the woods. The human population will expend ammunition on every living edible thing in short order. Won't be deer, elk, moose, bears or mountain lions left. That will be followed by the disappearance of small game a few years after that because they are harder to catch or shoot. My kit will include one of those Marine Corp Multi-Axes, a knife with a four inch blade, a String Saw and snare wire. Maybe one Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag or a Stainless 12 Gauge pump shotgun .

ab1ga
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I shall remain holed up in my quiet little house, growing asparagus and potatoes.
I shall kill and eat those who would do harm to me, my asparagus, or my potatoes.
In my spare time I shall endeavor to learn Latin, Greek, and quantum chromodynamics.

N8YX
06-24-2012, 08:38 PM
My kit will include one of those Marine Corp Multi-Axes
Check.

a knife with a four inch blade
Check.

a String Saw
Check.

snare wire.
Check.

Stainless 12 Gauge pump shotgun
Check.

Maybe one Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag
If weight were an issue and I already had the 12GA, I would gravitate towards something a little easier to feed...22LR, 9mm or 45ACP semiauto. Maybe a switch-slide rig: I can throw a 22LR upper on the 1911 and hunt small game, or change over to the large-caliber upper and use it for larger animals - or self defense.

KA9MOT
06-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I shall remain holed up in my quiet little house, growing asparagus and potatoes.
I shall kill and eat those who would do harm to me, my asparagus, or my potatoes.
In my spare time I shall endeavor to learn Latin, Greek, and quantum chromodynamics.

YUUUP! ^^^^^ What he said! ^^^^^

N7YA
06-25-2012, 12:39 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of buying an abnormally huge pickup truck that i need a chrome plated ladder to get into, plastering it with angry bumper stickers proclaiming my sociopolitical affiliations, and then drive through peoples flower beds because i hate all things deemed "pretty" or "sensitive". YEAH!

I actually, in real life, prefer your way of thinking...i dont have a major concern how it looks to other manly men, i dont get a woody about shooting or killing anything besides static targets. I also love asparagus....but i will grow them in a greenhouse.

My endeavor is to learn whatever i can from the books i buy from the clearance aisles at B Dalton.

suddenseer
06-25-2012, 03:44 AM
You're in brown bear country, you had better pack spray and a large-caliber sidearm. Think 460 or 500S&W, maybe a 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh...480 Ruger. I've heard tales of pissed-off bruins taking the almighty 44 Mag as a bad joke then subsequently killing the shooter before they expired.These guys are now a reality to campers in Ohio.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/ExperienceWildlifeSubHomePage/kidspagesplaceholder/kidsblbear/tabid/6460/Default.aspx

I have never seen a bear, but I have seen a mountain lion. I have a CCW permit to carry a firearm concealed. I often do.

N8YX
06-25-2012, 05:27 AM
I have never seen a bear, but I have seen a mountain lion. I have a CCW permit to carry a firearm concealed. I often do.
I've observed/smelled big cats marking on the Ohio-Erie Towpath Trail, roughly 15mi south of the trailhead where we get on. Another spot was found approximately three miles south of the first, so this tells me a male is laying claim to the territory.

Doesn't surprise me in the least: There's a metric shit-ton of whitetail in the area and none of the land owners are willing to let hunters control the problem. Unfortunately for them, mountain lions have been known to snatch things other than deer when they become hungry.

ab1ga
06-25-2012, 07:04 AM

I actually, in real life, prefer your way of thinking...i dont have a major concern how it looks to other manly men, i dont get a woody about shooting or killing anything besides static targets. I also love asparagus....but i will grow them in a greenhouse.

I may have fired a weapon twice or three times in my life, much to the relief of the flora and fauna around me, so that's one less thing I'd worry about.

I'm not a big fan of asparagus, but it grows like a weed around here, and potatoes will even grow in New Brunswick, so I'm confident that I could make a success of those crops.

I picked QCD as the reading topic because my physics knowledge isn't even close to that level; it'll take years of other reading just to get ready to start, which solves the spare time problem.

And the fundamental issue, that of a collapsing society, has already been addressed at great length over the centuries as follows:

a. Society collapses and marauding bands of armed men scour the countryside looking for loot and territory.
b. Asparagus/potato farmer hides enough crop to survive, continues about his business.
c. Marauding band approaches peasant, says "We rule here now."
d. Peasant says, "OK".
e. Marauding band gets bored, or sick of asparagus and potatoes, and seeks new lands to conquer.
f. New band shows up, repeat ad nauseum.

:)

N7YA
06-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Aaaah. Very well then. :)

I was born north of Presque Isle, potatoes were kind of a thing up there. But i digress.

NQ6U
06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
There are mountain lions and bobcats all over San Diego County—they come down out of the hills to snatch people's chihuahuas on a regular basis. They've been known to kill hikers, too.

KK4AMI
06-25-2012, 09:53 AM

Aww heck! A realist in the group. Yes, since I have evolved from sentient to sedentary, my first choice is to hold the home fort. I already grow russet potatoes, beans, peppers, cucumbers and most of the other salad fixin's. I'd get started raising chickens as well.

Playing the survivalist is a young mans game I guess. My thought on the shotgun was that I could carry 25 12 GA hulls, a Lee 12 GA Handloader, primers, a bullet mold for slug and buck, plus a one pound can of Blue Dot powder. Finding lead, nails, etc along the way, I could shoot and reload about 1000 rounds that way. That to me is better then carrying a cross bow or bow. Arrows and bolts fired from draw weights of 65# to 200# tend to shatter when they hit bone and bury themselves deep in the ground when you miss. I think you would run out of those in short order.

KC2UGV
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Aww heck! A realist in the group. Yes, since I have evolved from sentient to sedentary, my first choice is to hold the home fort. I already grow russet potatoes, beans, peppers, cucumbers and most of the other salad fixin's. I'd get started raising chickens as well.

Playing the survivalist is a young mans game I guess. My thought on the shotgun was that I could carry 25 12 GA hulls, a Lee 12 GA Handloader, primers, a bullet mold for slug and buck, plus a one pound can of Blue Dot powder. Finding lead, nails, etc along the way, I could shoot and reload about 1000 rounds that way. That to me is better then carrying a cross bow or bow. Arrows and bolts fired from draw weights of 65# to 200# tend to shatter when they hit bone and bury themselves deep in the ground when you miss. I think you would run out of those in short order.

Instead of carrying all those tools and materials to make bullets; wouldn't it be easier to just carry a knife and whetstone, and then manufacture your ammunition from there?

For me, it's merely a thought exercise at this point. However, I am considering a "Bush trip" in a couple of years, to test myself.

KK4AMI
06-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Instead of carrying all those tools and materials to make bullets; wouldn't it be easier to just carry a knife and whetstone, and then manufacture your ammunition from there?

For me, it's merely a thought exercise at this point. However, I am considering a "Bush trip" in a couple of years, to test myself.

I assume you mean "whittle up" your own arrows? Try that and see how it works out for ya. On a bow with 65 lb draw weight most of your arrows will shatter the moment you release if they are not perfect. Wear a steel arm guard.

KC2UGV
06-25-2012, 10:35 AM
I assume you mean "whittle up" your own arrows? Try that and see how it works out for ya. On a bow with 65 lb draw weight most of your arrows will shatter the moment you release if they are not perfect. Wear a steel arm guard.

I've made my own arrows, and even my own bow... You don't "whittle up" arrows, you split them, straighten them, nock them, coat them, then fletch them. And, no need for a steel arm guard. Leather works fine.

ab1ga
06-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Aaaah. Very well then. :)

I was born north of Presque Isle, potatoes were kind of a thing up there. But i digress.

Digression is the first step toward discovery, digress with pride!

NORTH of Presque Isle? Young man, there ain't much 'Merika left in that direction, you sure you ain't CANADIAN?

Any connection to Loring/Limestone, if I may ask?

.dale.

KA9MOT
06-25-2012, 10:55 AM

That is probably why early man had to go to Cabella's to buy their bows, arrows, stone axes and spears. Everybody knows you can't make your own.......

KC2UGV
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
That is probably why early man had to go to Cabella's to buy their bows, arrows, stone axes and spears. Everybody knows you can't make your own.......

If one whittles their arrows, that's the most likely reason they shattered on impact :)

KK4AMI
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
I've made my own arrows, and even my own bow... You don't "whittle up" arrows, you split them, straighten them, nock them, coat them, then fletch them. And, no need for a steel arm guard. Leather works fine.

Whittle was just a generic term. You have made your own arrows without power tools? Where do you get the wood, nocks and tips? Gonna make them outta flint? I don't know. I think it would be easier to carry shotgun shell reloading gear. The Lee handloader only weighs about a pound.

N8YX
06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Whittle was just a generic term. You have made your own arrows without power tools? Where do you get the wood, nocks and tips? Gonna make them outta flint? I don't know. I think it would be easier to carry shotgun shell reloading gear. The Lee handloader only weighs about a pound.
When I was growing up and of the age to get into trouble I made my own bows, arrows, broadheads, nocks and string from anything I could lay my hands on which was up to the task.

A series of cat-tail stalks placed one inside the other and held together with pitch, tree sap which is fire cured, leftover construction adhesive or epoxy approximates the stiffness of a modern-day graphite shaft. Make your own nocks with a section of hardwood that's glued into the back of the shaft and the head ferrule can be improvised from things at hand...as can the point itself.

Fletching is from discarded bluejay, crow or duck wing and tail feathers. The shafts may be slit to accommodate the feathers then bound at the nock, or the feathers may be glued on...whatever you have available will dictate the choice of construction.

I have no doubt whatsoever that one of my homebrew shafts - when equipped with the proper head and propelled from a 5ft or better recurve - will penetrate almost any ballistic vest which isn't carrying trauma plates.

And this is why you don't let precocious youth out to forage in an urban/wood mix scenario.

KC2UGV
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Whittle was just a generic term. You have made your own arrows without power tools?

Yes. It's not rocket science.

Where do you get the wood,

Saplings.

nocks

Um, a knife blade...

and tips? Gonna make them outta flint? I don't know.

You can make tips out of many things: Glass, stone, flint, bone, seashell.

I think it would be easier to carry shotgun shell reloading gear. The Lee handloader only weighs about a pound.

And, you said it's a 1000 rounds. What are you going to do after that? Make black powder from scratch? Smelt ore to get lead?

N7YA
06-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Digression is the first step toward discovery, digress with pride!

NORTH of Presque Isle? Young man, there ain't much 'Merika left in that direction, you sure you ain't CANADIAN?

Any connection to Loring/Limestone, if I may ask?

.dale.

Im not sure im not Canadian to begin with. :lol:

Yep, nailed it, i was born on Loring in '66. My dad was stationed there with SAC. I have always loved the north, New England and trees, water, etc...i long to return. My wife came here from Brunswick, mid coast.

ab1ga
06-25-2012, 08:28 PM
The border is rather... theoretical in that vicinity.

Pardon me for being nosey, but Brunswick rang a bell, and I had to check. Is your wife Navy or Bowdoin, or neither?

This part of the country does have a certain attraction, I'll have to say. What you can see through the cloud of black flies is truly gorgeous, and if you can't get there from here you can go somewhere else just as pretty. Lots of folk come here for college, but what's amazing is how many just don't ever want to leave, yours truly included.

When you do come back, let us know and we'll keep a spot near the stove open for you. The Pepperell Donut Shop Mafia and Nashoba Valley Auxiliary Regional Government in Waiting (Just In Case) welcomes all for bad coffee and good conversation.

suddenseer
06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Us gay guys giggle at these last term guys live their lives. We like lots of ammo. We like firearms, and lots of ammo. this should make up any difference.

N7YA
06-26-2012, 02:01 AM
The border is rather... theoretical in that vicinity.

Pardon me for being nosey, but Brunswick rang a bell, and I had to check. Is your wife Navy or Bowdoin, or neither?

This part of the country does have a certain attraction, I'll have to say. What you can see through the cloud of black flies is truly gorgeous, and if you can't get there from here you can go somewhere else just as pretty. Lots of folk come here for college, but what's amazing is how many just don't ever want to leave, yours truly included.

When you do come back, let us know and we'll keep a spot near the stove open for you. The Pepperell Donut Shop Mafia and Nashoba Valley Auxiliary Regional Government in Waiting (Just In Case) welcomes all for bad coffee and good conversation.

Black flies, skeeters, large critters sniffing around, spiders, etc...all ok by me (except those GD black flies, they suck). My wife was Army, but not up there, she was just a normal civi. She did her schooling at UC Irvine, but it didnt hold the charms of the northeast.

It would be great to meet up with other new englanders once we make the push north, could be a couple more years, but im sure ill still be on this board. :lol: It would be our pleasure to have some bad coffee with you, trust me, my wife works at Starbucks right now...there is no coffee on earth worse that Starbucks sludge!

KK4AMI
06-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Well, I'm impressed with you guys. Yes I know ancient man could make his own bow and arrows, but I kind of figured that art died. I'll still go with the shot gun. I figure 100 rounds a year for hunting, so 1000 rds would go 10 years. Plenty of time to find more powder and primers. But now that you mention it, I can make blackpowder pretty easily. I did that as a kid by buying saltpeter at a drug store. Hmm, maybe my Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle would be the better way to go? Lead is easy to get in this world. There are lead wheel weights on every car. All I need is a melting pot and a fire.

Oh, did you ever see the movie "A Boy and his Dog." I'll need a Beagle also for hunting but he doesn't have to talk :).

KC2UGV
06-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Well, I'm impressed with you guys. Yes I know ancient man could make his own bow and arrows, but I kind of figured that art died.

That's kinda why I like the whole "TEOTWAWKI" thought experiment. Most people today wouldn't (And don't) know how to fashion even a rudimentary bow and arrow, or how to make fire using a variety of methods. It just never comes up for most.

I'll still go with the shot gun. I figure 100 rounds a year for hunting, so 1000 rds would go 10 years. Plenty of time to find more powder and primers. But now that you mention it, I can make blackpowder pretty easily. I did that as a kid by buying saltpeter at a drug store. Hmm, maybe my Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle would be the better way to go? Lead is easy to get in this world. There are lead wheel weights on every car. All I need is a melting pot and a fire.

And, yet another reason I like this experiment. I never had thought to use the lead weights on car wheels, if needed :) And, I would suppose, as time progresses, the flintlock would indeed be the best choice for a gun, since you know how to make black powder. Your powder would obviously not be as high quality as machine processed, so it would most likely cause a newer-type weapon to foul up quickly. However, a flintlock would be happy as could be with any powder charge.

Oh, did you ever see the movie "A Boy and his Dog." I'll need a Beagle also for hunting but he doesn't have to talk :).

Yeah, I saw it. Good movie :)

W5GA
06-26-2012, 07:30 AM
If you want lead wheel weights, better start gathering now. They are being replaced by zinc, and visually are pretty hard to tell apart. The other thing to consider is that before they'll do you a bit of good, you need a bullet mould, some sort of bullet lube, and a way to size the bullets after they come out of the mould. This only applies if you're using something besides round balls.

KK4AMI
06-26-2012, 08:15 AM
If you want lead wheel weights, better start gathering now. They are being replaced by zinc, and visually are pretty hard to tell apart. The other thing to consider is that before they'll do you a bit of good, you need a bullet mould, some sort of bullet lube, and a way to size the bullets after they come out of the mould. This only applies if you're using something besides round balls.

Plenty of Grease and Animal Fat. I have molds for Foster Slugs and Buckshot. I won't need much resizing. There is so much scrap lead out there, I'll just add zinc to make harder alloys.

W5GA
06-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I'll just add zinc to make harder alloys.
Can't do that....see this:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-442704.html