PDA

View Full Version : Good AM/FM BC Radio

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 05:04 PM
A bit off the beaten track...

I'm looking for a [really] good AM/FM portable radio. Purpose: to sit on a table in the cabin for vacation. Needs to sound good for music, but have a decent tuner on both BC bands. No need for any AUX-IN or iPod crapola. Analog or digital tuning is fine, stereo is a "don't care" but portability is a higher need. Needs to run on 110, but battery operation would be a great option to have. Budget? Gotta be able to do this right for under $200, right?

I did some reading on the GE/RCA Superradio a year or two ago, and that seemed perfect. Bought a new one (RCA) and it's total crap. Apparently some cost-cutting really affected that model (or I got a lemon). Probably the worst radio I've ever owned (anyone want it?). Should I look for an older one on eBay, or is there something a bit more modern that would fit the bill? Was looking at some Tivoli stuff, but that seems a little flamboyant for my simple needs.

Thoughts?

KG4CGC
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
For between 100 to 130 you can pick up a Tecsun PL660. Loud enough to hear but we ain't talking about room filling sound like Bose advertises for the wave radio. It covers all bands that a portable LW/MW/AM/FM/SW/AIR band radio would.
Check out Amazon for all of Tecsun's offerings. Amazon is priced better than ebay on many items including this.

ETA: Comes with rechargeable batteries and charger, earbuds, antenna extension and case.

KJ3N
06-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I would suggest the Kenwood R-5000 I just finished fixing, but it's probably a wee bit more than you want to spend, and it doesn't do FM BC. ;) :lol:

NQ6U
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
I bought one of these for the MIL a few years back:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JKE6P7QJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tivoli Model One.

They're considerably more expensive now (~$150) and no internal battery power option (although you can feed them from an external 12V source) but they do sound very nice.

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
For between 100 to 130 you can pick up a Tecsun PL660. Loud enough to hear but we ain't talking about room filling sound like Bose advertises for the wave radio. It covers all bands that a portable LW/MW/AM/FM/SW/AIR band radio would.
Check out Amazon for all of Tecsun's offerings. Amazon is priced better than ebay on many items including this.

ETA: Comes with rechargeable batteries and charger, earbuds, antenna extension and case.

Will look into that. Thanks!!

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I would suggest the Kenwood R-5000 I just finished fixing, but it's probably a wee bit more than you want to spend, and it doesn't do FM BC. ;) :lol:

I've done this with the IC-7K. Was just playing with it, and on FM-BC, the 15KHz filter isn't wide enough to get audio. AM-BC works, but sounds like shit on the tiny speaker. Pfffft. Still kicks ass on 40 CW with a good pair of headphones, though. :yes:

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 06:20 PM

Tivoli Model 1.

They're considerably more expensive now (~$150) and no internal battery power option (although you can feed them from an external 12V source) but they do sound very nice.

Was looking at those -- definitely under consideration. Would jump on a Tivoli long before Bose.

KJ3N
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
I've done this with the IC-7K. Was just playing with it, and on FM-BC, the 15KHz filter isn't wide enough to get audio.

You're doing something wrong. The 7000 was an FM-wide mode. When you're in AM mode, hold down the mode button for at least one full second. It will toggle to FM. Release the button and hold down again until it goes to FM-wide. That should give you the full 200 kHz bandwidth.

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 07:03 PM
You're doing something wrong. The 7000 was an FM-wide mode. When you're in AM mode, hold down the mode button for at least one full second. It will toggle to FM. Release the button and hold down again until it goes to FM-wide. That should give you the full 200 kHz bandwidth.

That worked, Jim. Thanks! 103.5 is +60 and I have audio now. Still sounds like shit, though.

KJ3N
06-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Still sounds like shit, though.

An external speaker will fix that.

N8YX
06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Radio Shack once offered a "Long-distance AM/FM portable" (or such was stated on the package) for the princely sum of $30. I bought one for my mother a number of years back to replace a faulty Sears unit - and that set worked rather well.

When we donated many of her personal effects to charity, the radio was included - else you would have gotten yourself a freebie.

Let me see if I can come up with any documentation on the thing and point you to an eBay sale.

KG4CGC
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Sometimes there is an adjustment out of wack. If the inside of the RCA looks like I think it does, it missed a step in QA/QC before it left the factory.
There should be a trimmer cap in the front end/tuning section of the unit, possibly 2, one for each band. Tune to an FM station of known moderate reception quality. Turn the trimmer until the station comes booming in and test it for a few minutes and see how it holds.
I have done this to a couple ''quality'' radios as well as a pair of Sony analog FM tuners of 80s and 90s fame. I think I even made this adjustment on a Sony tuner with a digital readout.

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
An external speaker will fix that.

Plugged in my homebrew comm speaker (built from an article in QST), still sounds like shit, but a lot better than the internal deal. But this speaker wasn't designed for classic rock.

Hmmm.. there may be a solution here -- need to try a different speaker; something with a bit of bass that isn't filtered for SSB. Having the Icom serve double-duty on this wouldn't be a bad way to go at all.

Worthy of some experimenting. :chin:

KG4NEL
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I had a Tivoli Model Two for a few years (basically the Model One with an extra speaker), bought it while I was an undergrad and didn't have a real stereo rig at the time. Used it as the external speakers for my laptop as well.

A big Kenwood multi-ganged-front-end beast from the '70s would trounce it in selectivity for DXing, but for listening to a local station that didn't use a ton of compression, it was pretty nice :) May get another one in the future for just that purpose.

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Sometimes there is an adjustment out of wack. If the inside of the RCA looks like I think it does, it missed a step in QA/QC before it left the factory.
There should be a trimmer cap in the front end/tuning section of the unit, possibly 2, one for each band. Tune to an FM station of known moderate reception quality. Turn the trimmer until the station comes booming in and test it for a few minutes and see how it holds.
I have done this to a couple ''quality'' radios as well as a pair of Sony analog FM tuners of 80s and 90s fame. I think I even made this adjustment on a Sony tuner with a digital readout.

Kewl! (Just need to manufacture some time). Looks like there are some real options here. Never had the thing open and right now, I'd junk it. If I get to it, I'll even take pictures. Do you know if this is a design problem with the newer Superradios, or just a QC issue? I had heard that the earlier versions were the bees knees, but more recent versions had design problems that ruined the reputation.

Kinda Sony adverse these days -- they're assholes and I avoid that brand.

KG4CGC
06-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Yep. Sony is asshole zombie.
I don't know about the design issues, just that they used cheaper parts.

KJ3N
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Plugged in my homebrew comm speaker (built from an article in QST), still sounds like shit, but a lot better than the internal deal. But this speaker wasn't designed for classic rock.

Hmmm.. there may be a solution here -- need to try a different speaker; something with a bit of bass that isn't filtered for SSB. Having the Icom serve double-duty on this wouldn't be a bad way to go at all.

Worthy of some experimenting. :chin:

Believe it or not, but this MFJ speaker (http://hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006387) has some good low end.

KG4CGC
06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
I should add here, the design problems in the newer ones was probably the new factory they were made in. The design being a faster and not well tested line on the floor.
Here in America ... I've seen the company I worked for spend up to $100K to fly in a guy from Germany to fix a machine made there that we bought second hand from Kodak. The internals or, ''sub menus'' for us hamfolk, needed set up and testing for what we intended to do with it.

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Believe it or not, but this MFJ speaker (http://hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006387) has some good low end.

Not at all opposed to MFJ, but where are the frequency response graphs on that unit? They look a lot like the back channel JBL's I have in the living room.

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
I should add here, the design problems in the newer ones was probably the new factory they were made in. The design being a faster and not well tested line on the floor.
Here in America ... I've seen the company I worked for spend up to $100K to fly in a guy from Germany to fix a machine made there that we bought second hand from Kodak. The internals or, ''sub menus'' for us hamfolk, needed set up and testing for what we intended to do with it.

I'd heard that they did some cost cutting that didn't work out. Not sure.

You're right about factory stuff, though. Been there (a lot). Been yukking it up a bit with my brother on high speed factory machines. He recently retired from a well-known name brand last year and has actually been paid to watch start-up on a factory that makes tampons. They gotta come from somewhere, right? It's pretty amazing when you think about it, and kind of surprising that any of it works (when you REALLY think about it).

KG4CGC
06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd heard that they did some cost cutting that didn't work out. Not sure.

You're right about factory stuff, though. Been there (a lot). Been yukking it up a bit with my brother on high speed factory machines. He recently retired from a well-known name brand last year and has actually been paid to watch start-up on a factory that makes tampons. They gotta come from somewhere, right? It's pretty amazing when you think about it, and kind of surprising that any of it works (when you REALLY think about it).

Going off course a bit. The more things get automated, the less employees they'll need and thus less people available to actually buy anything.
OK. I'm done.

KJ3N
06-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Not at all opposed to MFJ, but where are the frequency response graphs on that unit?

I have no idea and, quite frankly, I don't care. I own one and I'm happy with it. Then again, I'm not some audiophile and my hearing is pretty much intact. I also haven't used it on anything other than an Icom R-75, a Kenwood R-599D, and an Icom 7000.

:dunno:

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
I have no idea and, quite frankly, I don't care. I own one and I'm happy with it. Then again, I'm not some audiophile and my hearing is pretty much intact. I also haven't used it on anything other than an Icom R-75, a Kenwood R-599D, and an Icom 7000.

:dunno:

Have you played music on it? Seriously, I'm about half deaf these days (but can still hear Jethro Tull nuances when played on good equipment). I'm easy.

KJ3N
06-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Have you played music on it? Seriously, I'm about half deaf these days (but can still hear Jethro Tull nuances when played on good equipment). I'm easy.

I'll have to wire it back up (it only has screw terminals) and plug it back into the 7000. I have an FM BC station less than a 1/2 mile away.

I'll get back to you.

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 09:58 PM
I'll have to wire it back up (it only has screw terminals) and plug it back into the 7000. I have an FM BC station less than a 1/2 mile away.

I'll get back to you.

No worries (unless your interested). I've got an old rear-deck speaker out of a Nissan that will prove/disprove the 7000. After that, any reasonable hi-fi speaker should work, I'd think.

The MFJ thing might be a sleeper, though. The price is right.

KB3LAZ
06-21-2012, 04:19 AM
Hum, I dont think that FM BC sounds too bad on the 7000. By no means does it sound great but its acceptable. I have no need to use it for this but I have in the past just for shits.

N8YX
06-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Going off course a bit. The more things get automated, the less employees they'll need and thus less people available to actually buy anything.
OK. I'm done.
Funny...I've been saying the same thing for years, as have a number of my friends - some of which are high up their various corporate ladders.

But do you think those above them are listening?

WØTKX
06-21-2012, 06:33 AM
No, "those" are above it all. They manage money, which by definition is "We the People".

KK4AMI
06-21-2012, 07:07 AM
If you want an excuse to go to a hamfest, look for an old transistor Zenith Transoceanic 3000. I've collected a few. They sound good, have full coverage FM-AM-SW and have great reception. Problems? Well tonnage comes to mind with a full load of D Batteries. But they can be house powered to. Plus you have a great American made collectable radio! Check Ebay, there are a million of them.

WØTKX
06-21-2012, 07:15 AM
I used to have a GE Super Radio "one". It got beat up and finally quit. Damn nice tho.

KC2UGV
06-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Funny...I've been saying the same thing for years, as have a number of my friends - some of which are high up their various corporate ladders.

But do you think those above them are listening?

The higher-ups are sorta listening:
http://www.naturalnews.com/034002_artisan_foods_marketing.html

kf0rt
08-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Closing the loop on this one a bit. Ended up buying a Sangean PR-D5 for $65:

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D5-Portable-Digital-Tuning/dp/B005GTO0DI

Just fell off the UPS truck here and it looks like this will do the job "right nice." Small, reasonably cheap, sounds great and the receiver seems real sensitive (decoding RDS in the basement here without extending the antenna). It's supposed to be real DXable on AM, too.

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Closing the loop on this one a bit. Ended up buying a Sangean PR-D5 for $65:

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D5-Portable-Digital-Tuning/dp/B005GTO0DI

Just fell off the UPS truck here and it looks like this will do the job "right nice." Small, reasonably cheap, sounds great and the receiver seems real sensitive (decoding RDS in the basement here without extending the antenna). It's supposed to be real DXable on AM, too.

Interesting looking box. Hope you enjoy it.

KG4CGC
08-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Nice find. :)
Did you get a chance to screwdriver the old radio and see if it was what I thought it was?

kf0rt
08-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Nice find. :)
Did you get a chance to screwdriver the old radio and see if it was what I thought it was?

Haven't done that, but will give it a shot. As-is, the thing is headed for the trash, so there's nothing to lose. :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
08-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Let me know how well it works out for you after running it through it's paces.

NQ6U
08-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Sangean makes pretty good stuff. I have an old ATS-803A general coverage portable that's been a real workhorse. Sounds surprisingly good for a portable, too.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/ats803a.jpg

W1GUH
08-06-2012, 09:40 AM

Tivoli Model One.

Yes, they do sound great. I've had a Model Two (same thing, only stereo) for about 12 years. But how's your MIL's doing today? Mine has developed the "scritchy FM tuning syndrome." Seems they used a poor quality tuning cap and there's quite a buzz on the 'net about that. I'm just now starting to search out replacements...will report what I find. The good news is that once a station is tuned in, it's fine.

Also, I have the sub-woofer for that radio. It sounds really good but it, too, has a quality control issue. The power transformer opened up. Easy to work around -- it takes 12VDC & I power it with yeat another wall wart. I called Tivoli Radio and found out that they stock no spare parts!! And I've already found a substitute -- picked up a new looking 25VCT transformer that's about the right size.

Makes me wonder if the resemblance to KLH stuff from the 60's is anymore than skin deep. But not sure I care -- the KLH styling is to die for!

As for Bose....when I bought the Model Two at a high end stereo shop and made a comment about Bose, the guy said that stands for "Better Off with Something Else!" Guess they do sound good, but they're way, way overpriced - a Bose hallmark.

K7SGJ
08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes, they do sound great. I've had a Model Two (same thing, only stereo) for about 12 years. But how's your MIL's doing today? Mine has developed the "scritchy FM tuning syndrome." Seems they used a poor quality tuning cap and there's quite a buzz on the 'net about that. I'm just now starting to search out replacements...will report what I find. The good news is that once a station is tuned in, it's fine.

Also, I have the sub-woofer for that radio. It sounds really good but it, too, has a quality control issue. The power transformer opened up. Easy to work around -- it takes 12VDC & I power it with yeat another wall wart. I called Tivoli Radio and found out that they stock no spare parts!! And I've already found a substitute -- picked up a new looking 25VCT transformer that's about the right size.

Makes me wonder if the resemblance to KLH stuff from the 60's is anymore than skin deep. But not sure I care -- the KLH styling is to die for!

As for Bose....when I bought the Model Two at a high end stereo shop and made a comment about Bose, the guy said that stands for "Better Off with Something Else!" Guess they do sound good, but they're way, way overpriced - a Bose hallmark.

There is a Bose outlet store not too far away. Stopped in one day out of curiosity. Everything was higher than giraffe nuts. I think the one unit called the "WAVE" should be re-named the "Finger Wave". The biggest problem I have is that their phone number is so close to ours, we get several calls a day looking for them. I have resorted to answering the phone in a heavy Chinese accent, and telling the callers we make these products in cargo containers on the way to the US. Sometimes I tell them to go to some of the yard sales in Sun City. Most everyone there has at least one or two Bose products for sale cheap. Bastids

W1GUH
08-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I suppose that my animosity towards Bose is an adverse reaction to being subjected to this in college.....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/717DiZl7R2L._SL500_.jpg

kf0rt
08-06-2012, 10:04 AM
There is a Bose outlet store not too far away. Stopped in one day out of curiosity. Everything was higher than giraffe nuts. I think the one unit called the "WAVE" should be re-named the "Finger Wave". The biggest problem I have is that their phone number is so close to ours, we get several calls a day looking for them. I have resorted to answering the phone in a heavy Chinese accent, and telling the callers we make these products in cargo containers on the way to the US. Sometimes I tell them to go to some of the yard sales in Sun City. Most everyone there has at least one or two Bose products for sale cheap. Bastids

In circles where folks know their audio, BOSE commonly stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment. This article nails it better than most: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

It's not horrible stuff, but it is WAY overpriced.

WX7P
08-06-2012, 04:22 PM
In circles where folks know their audio, BOSE commonly stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment. This article nails it better than most: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

It's not horrible stuff, but it is WAY overpriced.

Interesting article. The mention the $500 Wave radio as an overpriced alarm clock. So true. I have the Henry Kloss version in our kitchen that sounds better than any Wave radio I've heard. It cost me $20 at the flea market...

I had a pair of 901 series 6 speakers. I found a cheap pair of Klipsch LaScalas which blew the 901s out of the water. Away the 901s went.

mw0uzo
08-06-2012, 05:39 PM
+1 for Tecsun, I've got a PL600 and its pretty good. Not great if there's masses of noise or uber-crowded bands on ssb, but its great for night-time listening around the ham bands, even on its telescopic antenna

KG4CGC
08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
+1 for Tecsun, I've got a PL600 and its pretty good. Not great if there's masses of noise or uber-crowded bands on ssb, but its great for night-time listening around the ham bands, even on its telescopic antenna

Got the 660! It's no desktop unit but it's a hell of a performer ☺

kf0rt
08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Interesting article. The mention the $500 Wave radio as an overpriced alarm clock. So true. I have the Henry Kloss version in our kitchen that sounds better than any Wave radio I've heard. It cost me $20 at the flea market...

I had a pair of 901 series 6 speakers. I found a cheap pair of Klipsch LaScalas which blew the 901s out of the water. Away the 901s went.

When I was new and dumb (whut, 5-6 years ago?), I stepped into a serious audio forum thinking I'd like to buy Bose.

Those guys ripped me a new asshole. Seriously.

Ended up spending about a grand on JBL's Venue series (no longer made). Kind of low-end for JBL, but it kicks ass. Set up for 7.1 now, driven with a Yamaha RX-1800.

If I could just get these kids off my lawn...