PDA

View Full Version : My time off...a report.

N7YA
06-20-2012, 07:09 AM
My wife and i took a well needed and deserved vacation from work this last week and a half.

It started with a couple of nights at a hotel in the mountains up the road from the house, but far enough away to not see the city at all. We watched a few movies and had some killer chicken wings. We were on a package deal so we also got a dinner and a breakfast in the resturant, with a great view of the mountain. We got up early on the third day and drove to Phoenix and got the adorable kitten ive been posting pictures of in every thread. We ate food that was bad for us, but really good. Came home, did some contesting during All-Asia, got a new band country too. Did a lot of relaxing. Both my wife and i did a couple of art pieces each. Fathers day we went to a nice japanese resturant, took my son to see Prometheus...it was ok, but i promise ill forget that i saw it in a few months. Bought that new bass i posted pictures of. Got some yard work done....ok, maybe not so much, the HOA told us to replace a missing plant in our front yard, i think they can go fuck themselves, so we went a bought a cheap plastic plant, stuck it in the ground and it looks great sitting out there. ;) We sat at home a lot and watched some Ghosthunters, the first Lord of the Rings, and the first two Harry Potter films. Played a lot of video games. Started planning our next vacation...likely KH6, and likely a hamcation...i love my wife! Didnt clean out the downstairs like i said i would...and i dont care.

Last night, we went to see Penn and Teller at the Rio. We really liked the show overall. We walked in and there were all these people milling around on the stage beforehand, they were signing up to be part of the acts...hell no we didnt go sign up! They had a jazz duo, piano and upright bass, playing off to the side...i think i was the only one who noticed the bass player was Penn. Hes a killer jazz bass player...i had no idea! Then the show got started, and they were pulling people out of the crowd every other routine, and i figured i wouldnt be called up since the guy directly behind me was already pulled up...sure enough, here comes Penn, he points right at me and asks my name, i told him, then he said "Adam, come on up". I walk up the steps, huge theatre, packed house. I walk over and Teller is waiting, he shakes my hand and then starts quietly directing what i need to do while Penn is talking to the audience. Teller gets into this big plastic bag and i help Penn tie it off and fill it with helium in an attempt to kill Teller with poisonous gas. All i remember was that i knew how to stand on a mark and not block or upstage the main performers, Penn was talking to me and saying im doing great (he was struggling with everyone else as they were not plants, they really randomly picked folks out), the next thing i knew i was holding a big helium balloon and Teller was out of the bag...that was it. I didnt sign up or anything...i can only guess the reason i was picked was because everyone around me was either too hyper or trying to hide their face. I stared at him calmly. Either way, that was a lot of fun and was a perfect cap to a great week off. I had a perfectly capable sub covering my main gig, the bass player for Colin Hay and Paul Gilbert, then i subbed out a corporate to another solid bass player...i was never able to do this before because they didnt have anyone to cover me. They have several killer players...that just opens up the world for vacation time if i can afford it.

Today, my last official day off, i am heading over to lay down audio tracks for our fifth parody video. We are doing a song making fun of Pitbull and how he is in every song known to mankind. I will be doing the overly sexy R&B choruses that every song seems to have and Pitbull's trademark howl...which every song seems to have. We will start shooting that video in a couple of months. Then i will come home and watch Ghosthunters reruns since new episodes dont start until september. I hope the new ones dont suck, either way, no skin off my ass. Thursday, its back to work...rested, happy and better equipped than before because im going to take my new bass on its maiden run.

All in all, it was a great vacation...finally. :)

W3WN
06-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Sounds like you've had a great time Adam.

Two things:

Who or what is Pitbull?

And when am I working you on 160?

PA5COR
06-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Looks like you both needed a holliday ;)
Thanks for sharing, it is good to read you all had so much fun time to spare.
Keep repeating that often.

N8YX
06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Who or what is Pitbull?

(UrbanDictionary)"My pitbull dint do nuffin!"(/UrbanDictionary)

kf0rt
06-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Way cool, Adam. Sure sounds like you've earned the break. We're looking forward to a couple of get-aways yet this summer. Wish we didn't have to come back.

KG4CGC
06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm ready to head back to the Keys. Something about being so close to the Ley Lines has a weird affect on several chakras. Taking my scooter though.

N7YA
06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Pitbull is a Cuban rapper from the R&B/Club dance stuff that wins all the Grammys and VMA's these days. Hes great at what he does, but it gets seriously old. As for 160m, im not sure when that will ever happen as i live in an HOA occupied territory. I only have one contact on 160 myself, and thats Utah. I need literally everything there!

We went a long time without a break, we are going to try not to do that again.

KC9ECI
06-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a good time was had. My time off started this afternoon at 2:30. Sort of. I may pop in to work for half a day in the morning. Then I've just got to get through an emergency management meeting and then we're on the road traveling around WI and IA until next Wednesday.

W3WN
06-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Pitbull is a Cuban rapper from the R&B/Club dance stuff that wins all the Grammys and VMA's these days. Hes great at what he does, but it gets seriously old. As for 160m, im not sure when that will ever happen as i live in an HOA occupied territory. I only have one contact on 160 myself, and thats Utah. I need literally everything there!

We went a long time without a break, we are going to try not to do that again.Ah. Well, I'm not into rap (I barely escaped Disco and Country), so that explains that. Should have asked Little Miss Field Day, she probably knows all about him.

Couldn't resist teasing on 160. Hopefully, with the inverted "L" getting repositioned later this summer (the tree that's hosting it will soon have to come down, my neighbor actually apologized to me for it) and that may give me a better signal westward on 160.

N7YA
06-21-2012, 04:37 PM
I play dance and hiphop for a living, i dont listen to it in the car on the way home, thats for sure! :lol:

And dont get me wrong, i would love to get on 160m, its a forbidding and mysterious place to me. Maybe once i get a new rig, ill toss it in the truck with a longwire and head to a hilltop and log a few, if that happens, i will definately let you know. :yes:

K7SGJ
06-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Glad you had such a good time. It is very important to get away when and if you can. It seems to help our sanity, at least whatever is left of it. Next time you guys are in the Phoenix area, give a shout or a heads up. There is a place called Rock Springs right off I-17 on the way north. It's about 60 miles north of Phoenix, and not too far from here. They have the best home made pies around. Be a great place for an eyeball QSO, and to stretch your legs. And I'll treat.

N7YA
06-22-2012, 03:54 AM
Well hell! That sounds like a great deal. Not sure when we will be out that way again, but i can sure tell you, we like pie! And ill be honest, i havent met another ham face to face in years, it would be a nice opportunity to do so. :)