PDA

View Full Version : Woman Suffers Burns Trying To Hide Fireworks

W3WN
06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Another potential Darwin Award candidate here folks!
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/woman-suffers-burns-hiding-fireworks-from-pittsburgh-cops-640897/
A woman faces criminal charges after a fireworks mishap at a North Side home late Sunday, Pittsburgh police said today.

Amanda Kenneally was treated for second degree burns at Allegheny General Hospital.

It happened about 10 p.m. at a home in the 1300 block of Halsey Place. Police said Ms. Kenneally was about to shoot off a Roman candle when she spotted a squad car and put her hand over the firework to try to stifle it. Her left hand was seriously burned.

Police said she faces charges of possessing illegal fireworks.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Another potential Darwin Award candidate here folks!
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/woman-suffers-burns-hiding-fireworks-from-pittsburgh-cops-640897/
A woman faces criminal charges after a fireworks mishap at a North Side home late Sunday, Pittsburgh police said today.

Amanda Kenneally was treated for second degree burns at Allegheny General Hospital.

It happened about 10 p.m. at a home in the 1300 block of Halsey Place. Police said Ms. Kenneally was about to shoot off a Roman candle when she spotted a squad car and put her hand over the firework to try to stifle it. Her left hand was seriously burned.

Police said she was caught red-handed.

FTFY. ;)

n2ize
06-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I don;t know what the laws are like there but if it were to happen here I would just let it go off. The worst the cops will do is tell me that they are "technically illegal" and I am not supposed to be using them here. In the best case scenario if the cops aren't responding to a fireworks complaint they'll simply watch the thing fire off and be on there way.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 05:53 PM
I don;t know what the laws are like there but if it were to happen here I would just let it go off. The worst the cops will do is tell me that they are "technically illegal" and I am not supposed to be using them here. In the best case scenario if the cops aren't responding to a fireworks complaint they'll simply watch the thing fire off and be on there way.

Around here, they'll fine you a kilobuck for illegal fireworks. But generally, they won't even respond unless there's a complaint. Once a complaint is filed, you're on your own.

The 4th is a fun day to have a trunked scanner. And drink beer at home.

n2ize
06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Around here, they'll fine you a kilobuck for illegal fireworks. But generally, they won't even respond unless there's a complaint. Once a complaint is filed, you're on your own.

The cops are pretty cool around here... most of the time. They won't hassle you for fireworks. If you are firing them off and they respond to a complaint they will usually just ask you to "cool it" and remind you that they are illegal. As long as you are polite and respectful, and an adult it nearby they will usually leave it at that. Then again I haven't used fireworks here in quite a number of years. A while back I helped a pyro-technician put on a manually ignited class B professional display and that pretty much cured me of my desire to shoot off fireworks. We spent an entire blazing hot 4th of july day in the hot sun digging mortars into the sand and loading them with shells. Then we spend about 20-30 minutes lighting the with highway fusees and reloading and lighting etc. Finally we lit the finale. When it was over I notice I had lost about 80% of my hearing. Then we spend another 2 hours removing the mortars and loading them back onto the truck. I regained my hearing but probably not all of it. Since that day I haven't even so much as lit off a firecracker.

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 07:12 PM

We don't even need a trunked one here...

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 07:31 PM
The cops are pretty cool around here... most of the time. They won't hassle you for fireworks. If you are firing them off and they respond to a complaint they will usually just ask you to "cool it" and remind you that they are illegal. As long as you are polite and respectful, and an adult it nearby they will usually leave it at that. Then again I haven't used fireworks here in quite a number of years. A while back I helped a pyro-technician put on a manually ignited class B professional display and that pretty much cured me of my desire to shoot off fireworks. We spent an entire blazing hot 4th of july day in the hot sun digging mortars into the sand and loading them with shells. Then we spend about 20-30 minutes lighting the with highway fusees and reloading and lighting etc. Finally we lit the finale. When it was over I notice I had lost about 80% of my hearing. Then we spend another 2 hours removing the mortars and loading them back onto the truck. I regained my hearing but probably not all of it. Since that day I haven't even so much as lit off a firecracker.

Probably about the same here, but they've been cracking down a bit more the last few years. Be a little responsible and you'll probably get away with it. But, you'll probably have to buy the "good stuff" across the state lines. Recent fire ban here has the cops checking the shops and you can't buy anything that requires a match to light. Seriously -- not even sparklers this year. Legal: those little confetti party poppers and the cap + rock things you throw at the ground. That's about it.

'Bout a hunnert miles north, just inside the Wyoming border lies Alice's Restaurant, though. You know the lyrics.

Wifey and me plan on spending the 4th at Grand Lake: west side of Rocky Mountain National Park for youse who haven't been there. Supposed to be one of the better fireworks shows in the state, and they launch from a barge on the lake, so we're hoping they're exempt from the bans. Pics to follow, iff'n I don't screw it up.

And I'm half deaf anyway. Feels about right, all things considered. ;)

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 07:31 PM
We don't even need a trunked one here...

Breaker one-nine?

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Breaker one-nine?

Yeah, they don't have a trunked system here yet, it's all plain-ole repeater work.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah, they don't have a trunked system here yet, it's all plain-ole repeater work.

Any 108" whips in the fleet?

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
This one is close

n2ize
06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
This one is close

Ahhhh... That will do me fine !!!!

NA4BH
06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
She'd kill ya John. :lol: :lol: :neener:

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM

He'd love every minnit of it, though.

KG4CGC
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Vagina.
Fajita.

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Vagina.
Fajita.

And roll em up tight.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Tastes like chicken?

KG4CGC
06-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Tastes like chicken?

0_o Sloppy Joe.

NQ6U
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM

Trunked system:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/03/elephants_spreads02.jpg

KG4CGC
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/post-3-12423683177685.jpg

n2ize
06-18-2012, 10:03 PM

That will do me fine... Can't think of a better way to go. :neener:

W3WN
06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I don;t know what the laws are like there but if it were to happen here I would just let it go off. The worst the cops will do is tell me that they are "technically illegal" and I am not supposed to be using them here. In the best case scenario if the cops aren't responding to a fireworks complaint they'll simply watch the thing fire off and be on there way.Ah. I should explain:

North Side is one of the neighborhoods of Pittsburgh. The City of Pittsburgh is quite draconian when it comes to fireworks; even sparklers are illegal. So, if she'd been caught, er, red-handed, she would have been in a world of schiet.

Now, she's in the hospital, injured, and still in a world of schiet.

...meanwhile, out here in the suburbs, Phantom Fireworks packages are openly for sale in the supermarkets. You see, you can legally buy them... you just can't legally use them. Oh, how the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania works...

KG4CGC
06-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Bottle rockets, the little ones, were outlawed here a few years ago. The big ones, perfectly OK.
Kids used to have bottle rocket wars. Now they point mortars at each other.

NQ6U
06-18-2012, 10:49 PM
...meanwhile, out here in the suburbs, Phantom Fireworks packages are openly for sale in the supermarkets. You see, you can legally buy them... you just can't legally use them. Oh, how the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania works...

The entire state of Missouri works exactly the same way.

n2ize
06-19-2012, 02:43 AM
Ah. I should explain:

North Side is one of the neighborhoods of Pittsburgh. The City of Pittsburgh is quite draconian when it comes to fireworks; even sparklers are illegal. So, if she'd been caught, er, red-handed, she would have been in a world of schiet.

Basically that is the way NY State works except they are completely illegal to buy, sell,posses, or use statewide. AQll my fireworks purchases as a kid were considered illegal. How strict you are dealt with here if you do use them depends on the local jurisdiction. Some places very strict, other places pretty easy going. My local area used to be pretty easy going, cops would more or less look the other way unless they were answering a complaint. But these days I do not know as I haven't tried using them in a long time. I hear a lot less backyard fireworks here these days than in the past so perhaps they are more strict these days. On the other hand I have seen people using them last year and never saw the cops hassling anyone. Another factor is that kids may not be as into them these days as they were when i was a youngster. Back when i was a kid we'd already be stocking up our fireworks arsenals. Another factor is that there are a lot more professional displays in the local area these days. So perhaps more people get their annual fireworks fix that way nowadays.

W3WN
06-19-2012, 07:59 AM
The days of Jean Shepard's famous (and now politically incorrect title) "Ludlow Kissel and the Dago Bomb that Struck Back" are now long gone.

The story is in his first collection In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash.

KB3LAZ
06-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Ah. I should explain:

Like going across the border to buy them in OH. You have to sign a form that you will not take them out of state and that you will not use them in state. And you have to give an out of state address to buy them. Meanwhile the building is literally feet away from the border.

The best part is that at this particular place, the state cops sit there during the day and watch everyone.

Gotta love it.

KC2UGV
06-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Any 108" whips in the fleet?

I think they dunked those ones, I don't even think OH State Police monitor CB anymore. They've "upgraded" here to 440MHz (Well, it's like 446 or something close).

n2ize
06-20-2012, 07:09 PM
In this area (and apparently other areas as well fireworks were like a kids first introduction to the black market and the underworld. There was such a thrill involved with getting your hands on the "forbidden fruit". Same deal with other illegal things I suppose