PDA

View Full Version : This might be of interest to some here...

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 10:50 AM
I figured lots of us here have use for fuel to use in stoves, or looking for an alternative energy source (Non-grid tied). I was fiddling around the house, trying to look for a method to dispose and recycle a ton of paper I am generating from shrinking the house in prep for packing.

I stumbled onto this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVGUui9XdgI

I figured I can press out some bricks, maybe sell some off for like $0.50 a pop, get rid of my paper in a secure fashion (Lots of bank statements and whatnot), and whatnot.

Instead of paying $30 for a pro unit, I figured I piddle around, and see what I can "reclaim". Final result: a used crushed pineapple can, a hammer, a nail, and my fists.

End result: I've got about 10 little pucks of pressed paper drying out right now.

Turns out, you can do this with basically anything: Leaves, grass, paper, sawdust, etc etc. Just pulp them up, press the cake, and let them dry. Works better with a proper press, you want as much pressure as you can get. High enough pressure and you don't even need to add water to pulp it. Just grind it, and then press.

Put this together with either a boiler-generator system, or a gasifier, and you have a near limitless fuel source to generate electricity. Or, just use them in your fire pit :)

W5GA
06-18-2012, 05:26 PM
If you take your pucks, and add some parafin, you'll have some really great fire starters for a woodstove or fireplace. We do that with dryer lint.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 05:59 PM
As a kid, we used to make logs from rolled-up newspaper. They worked, but not well. The difference here is soaking them loose and a better compression mechanism.

Burned or recycled... which is better on the ecology? Financially? Can't we somehow start some partisan friction here? And would THAT start a fire?

ad4mg
06-18-2012, 06:05 PM
As a kid, we used to make logs from rolled-up newspaper. They worked, but not well. The difference here is soaking them loose and a better compression mechanism.

Burned or recycled... which is better on the ecology? Financially? Can't we somehow start some partisan friction here? And would THAT start a fire?

They should be soaked in used motor oil, and then burned. We have a GD Ice Age right in front of us that we need to stop. Huge, additional subsidies for big oil is the only solution. It goes without saying that the wealthiest (CEO's) will require more tax breaks borne on the backs of the working man.

And pee-pees. Don't say vagina, either. That is all.

:twisted:

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 06:30 PM
You win, Luke. :rofl:

I apolize.

Vaginas, though. Not sure what to make of that these days.

n2ize
06-18-2012, 06:45 PM
You win, Luke. :rofl:

I apolize.

Vaginas, though. Not sure what to make of that these days.

Vaginas ?? Ain't that the name of a state ?? Oops, thats Virginia. Sorry bout that, my error. Hmmm... "Vaginas" ?? That sounds like some kinda devils work .

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Vaginas ?? Ain't that the name of a state ?? Oops, thats Virginia. Sorry bout that, my error. Hmmm... "Vaginas" ?? That sounds like some kinda devils work .

Well yes. You may be right. Prolly depends on your perspective, though.

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Yeah, from what I gather, rolled up newpapers only worked if you rolled them very tightly, and bound them. Pulping, and then compressing them basically makes pressed wood.

Depends. Oft times, the recyclers just take it to the landfill anyways. Burning is carbon neutral as most paper comes from farmed trees now, however, it does create quite a bit of particulate.

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 06:54 PM
If you take your pucks, and add some parafin, you'll have some really great fire starters for a woodstove or fireplace. We do that with dryer lint.

I'm going to experiment, after I (move and then) build a press for it (Or get a shop press). I've read you can add veggie oil to the pulp, which also aids burn.

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 08:06 PM
How about rolling up a bunch of vaginas, real tightly, and, and....................never mind.

KG4CGC
06-18-2012, 08:11 PM
vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina

NA4BH
06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
AM=\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^na_i=\frac{a_1+a_2+\cdots +a_n}{n}= VAGINA.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, from what I gather, rolled up newpapers only worked if you rolled them very tightly, and bound them. Pulping, and then compressing them basically makes pressed wood.

That's what we tried and it didn't work real well. I think the pulping is the secret.

Or maybe it needs more vaginas. Dunno.

NQ6U
06-18-2012, 09:32 PM
They should be soaked in used motor oil, and then burned.

The oil should have PCBs added first, then be thinned with trichloroethylene.

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 09:40 PM
That's what we tried and it didn't work real well. I think the pulping is the secret.

I think someone is telling you some things that aren't true. It sounds to me like pulping fiction.

n2ize
06-19-2012, 03:35 AM

Okay, so now we know that tightly rolled up newspapers make people think of vaginas. Hmmmm... wonder what the connection is there. Tis a strange world indeed. ;)

n2ize
06-19-2012, 03:39 AM
The oil should have PCBs added first, then be thinned with trichloroethylene.

Well, I should have plenty of PCB's on hand. Mostly inside of old condensers and transformers, ,many of which are still in use..

Actually one way they destroy PCB's is by incinerating them, under proper conditions.

VK3ZL
06-19-2012, 04:54 AM
vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina vagina

I could poke a lot of holes in that argument Charles....:stickpoke:

Bob..VK3ZL..

N8YX
06-19-2012, 06:29 AM
This thread has it all: Logs, vaginas and lube... :whistle:

VK3ZL
06-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Dirty minded lot of buggers...

Bob..VK3ZL..

NQ6U
06-19-2012, 09:05 AM

You gotta problem widdat??

K7SGJ
06-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Bob..VK3ZL..

You gotta problem widdat??

Looks like Carl and I are the only ones willing to weaqr that badge proudly.

suddenseer
06-19-2012, 09:19 AM
And pee-pees. Don't say vagina, either. That is all.

:twisted:You say VAGINA, I say ANGINA, you say VAGINA, I say ANGINA.
VAGINA, ANGINA, VAGINA, ANGINA....let's call the whole thing off.

You say Reagan, I say Raygun.....

KB3LAZ
06-19-2012, 09:33 AM
This thread has it all: Logs, vaginas and lube... :whistle:

Now it has blue waffles and pink socks. Enjoy the mental image.

K7SGJ
06-19-2012, 09:38 AM
It's like smokin a joint, without all the smoke and shit.

KG4CGC
06-19-2012, 11:51 AM
I could poke a lot of holes in that argument Charles....:stickpoke:

Bob..VK3ZL..

Following in the Footsteps of Buster Hymen?

VK3ZL
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Following in the Footsteps of Buster Hymen?

Buster is a cousin of mine..

Bob..VK3ZL..