PDA

View Full Version : Crest Radio Museum... for real...

W3WN
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
OK, as most of us here on our little tropical sanctuary know, Pat WA6MHZ has quite a collection of gear stashed in his home, garage, and workplace. While Pat fondly refers to it as the 'Crest Radio Museum'... no offense Pat, but the equipment (as impressive as it all must be) as currently displayed doesn't exactly look like a museum.

(By way of comparison, look at Chuck Dachis' vast collection at http://www.hallicraftercollector.com/hallicrafters_museum.htm , although these photos are about 4 years old, so I don't know if it still looks like this)

Now, in other threads over yonder, Pat has mentioned, ah, family difficulties (I'm not going into it here, the purpose of this is not to rehash that story). And, that there is an existing house for sale right by his, plus a vacant lot.

So: The thought occurs to me... what would it take to acquire said house and/or said lot, and turn one or the other (or both) into an actual museum? What I'm thinking is that it couldn't cost THAT much to purchase said house, and install some proper shelving and display areas, including more than a few working/operational stations (equipment could be rotated, of course). The garage area could be used for storage of items not ready for display, a basement (if there is one) could be an ongoing work bench for rehab of equipment.

And, naturally, there'd be plenty of room for antennas, at least enough to demonstrate the working equipment.

I know, I know. We all kid Pat about his collection, and more than a few have implied (and not always in a nice way) that it boarders on hoarding. And, obviously, he'd have to agree to this, I don't know if he would or not. So this might be a moot point.

Still... what would it take? $250,000 to acquire the property? More? (I don't know real estate values in Crest, I'm guessing) Another what, $50,000 for shelving and displays? And what would the annual upkeep cost?

All academic questions at this point, and clearly, a formal group would have to be put together to handle fund-raising, acquisition, and ongoing operation. Still... it could be something positive, if it's done right. And, as a side benefit, it gets Pat some peace of mind (and space) at home & at work. Regardless, I know that this would be a long-shot...

but still, one wonders: what would it take?

Thoughts?

wa6mhz
06-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Sounds great to me!!! If there is a place to put them, I got the radios to fill it! Virtually ALL the Heathkits, Drakes, Hallicrafters, Johnsons, WRLs, Nationals, Hammarlunds, etc. All in pristine shape. I just needa place to put them. The idea is to make a NATIONAL AMATEUR RADIO MUSUEM, and get them out of my house and work. Think of them here as just STAGING before the move. Just need a place to move them to, where they will NOT be put on Ebay!

NA4BH
06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
IF such museum was ever to be built, it would be nice to have an area for the visitors to have hands on (supervised) involvement in restoration of the old equipment.

KJ3N
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
We all kid Pat about his collection...

I don't.

Given the pictures I've seen, I call it an unhealthy obsession, bordering on OCD and/or hoarding.

Just my opinion....

W3WN
06-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't.

Given the pictures I've seen, I call it an unhealthy obsession, bordering on OCD and/or hoarding.

Just my opinion....OK, fine, some go further than "kid." I was trying to be nice.

KJ3N
06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
OK, fine, some go further than "kid." I was trying to be nice.

I *am* being nice.

NY3V
06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Sounds great to me!!! If there is a place to put them, I got the radios to fill it! Virtually ALL the Heathkits, Drakes, Hallicrafters, Johnsons, WRLs, Nationals, Hammarlunds, etc. All in pristine shape. I just needa place to put them. The idea is to make a NATIONAL AMATEUR RADIO MUSUEM, and get them out of my house and work. Think of them here as just STAGING before the move. Just need a place to move them to, where they will NOT be put on Ebay!

You need to set up an Amateur Radio Museum non-profit corporation and sell shares to members to raise the money for the museum and operating costs. (Maybe located off shore at Terra Del Fuego)

Also, consider renting out insured museum objects for members to drool over and operate, kind of like a lending library of equipment instead of just books.

W3WN
06-18-2012, 03:29 PM
I *am* being nice.The point remains, the collection exists.

Now, do we try and help Pat do something positive with it, or wait until an 8 foot tall pile of boat anchors lands on him, and the El Cajon club cleans out the house & depreses the market for classic radio gear on eBay?

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 03:59 PM
The point remains, the collection exists.

Now, do we try and help Pat do something positive with it, or wait until an 8 foot tall pile of boat anchors lands on him, and the El Cajon club cleans out the house & depreses the market for classic radio gear on eBay?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. You know, I never have considered the implications of all those radios hitting the market at the same time. Interesting concept, indeed.

KJ3N
06-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Knock yourself out. I don't share the fascination that others seem to have about 45+ year-old equipment. :hand: Never did.

Maybe it has something to do with my not being quite old enough (I'll be sure to get off your lawn), or maybe it has something to do with my not entering the hobby until I was 30. I never spent my childhood playing ham radio. Nobody in my family is, or was, a ham, either.

Give me a modern 12VDC rig any day. The only tube gear I care to own are amps.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 04:01 PM
You need to set up an Amateur Radio Museum non-profit corporation and sell shares to members to raise the money for the museum and operating costs. (Maybe located off shore at Terra Del Fuego)

Also, consider renting out insured museum objects for members to drool over and operate, kind of like a lending library of equipment instead of just books.

He could start a Boat Anchor Rental Facility?

NA4BH
06-18-2012, 04:02 PM
(Maybe located off shore at Terra Del Fuego)

Or Duluth

KJ3N
06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
He could start a Boat Anchor Rental Facility?

BARF? ;)

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Give me a modern 12VDC rig any day. The only tube gear I care to own are amps.

Y'know... As much as I really appreciate the the old glowing stuff (and those who collect it), I had a somewhat recent affair with a Drake 4C line (oh, the romance of yesteryear!) and came to the same conclusion. It's just hard to beat a rig that goes everywhere instantly and is already tuned when it gets there.

N8YX
06-18-2012, 04:21 PM
In terms of overall performance in high static or high RF fields it's darned hard to beat certain Collins, Drake or Racal equipment - or its more obvious clones. But that's where the attraction stops - if one is into rapid QSY or using modes which demand a stable tuning reference.

For the guy whose only activity is the daily 40M SSB traffic net check-in, a KWM-2 is a fine set. For those doing anything else in hamdom, it flatly sucks.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
In terms of overall performance in high static or high RF fields it's darned hard to beat certain Collins, Drake or Racal equipment - or its more obvious clones. But that's where the attraction stops - if one is into rapid QSY or using modes which demand a stable tuning reference.

For the guy whose only activity is the daily 40M SSB traffic net check-in, a KWM-2 is a fine set. For those doing anything else in hamdom, it flatly sucks.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the old stuff. Appreciate it even, and understand the allure of the glow. The restoration stuff is great even. Operationally... got back into this a bit in 2004 with a TS-570SG and a bit later, an IC-7000. HAD to have a Drake line. The 4B's and S-lines were the currency of a REAL station in the mid-70's. Loved 'em then. Operated a lot of Drake stuff in contests and really loved it. What I found upon obtaining a 4C line (2006?) is that it's exactly like it used to be. Great stuff, but for the "occasional" op like me, it's a lot of work compared to the modern solid state stuff. Smaller shacks and all that...

Oh, and you've earned your Extra, Fred. I just took a test. ;) I think the guys who have a passion for the old stuff are amazing. You guys know your schidt and I'm often in awe.

NQ6U
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I like the old stuff—I've (mostly) restored a set of Drake A-Series twins and love playing with them—but my IC-736 is the rig I turn to for any real operating.

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 07:26 PM
I like the look and feel of older gear; but my goal for a matching transmitter/receiver pair is to have it on a shelf for looks, mainly.

W3WN
06-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Well, I miss my HT-37 / SB-301 / HT-41 combo, later a SX-111 instead of the '301. Odds are fairly good that I'll never see a working setup like those again, not unless a goodly number of shekels fall into my hands.

And I really am looking forward, for nostalgia's sake, in getting that Swan 3Drifty on the air again.

Would I turn down an S-Line, or a KWM-2A, or a Drake C-Line (with Sherwood filters & mods) if offered to me? Hell no.

But for day-to-day operation, let along serious contesting (yeah, I know Burt, you don't have to say it) or DX'ing... if you think I'm giving up my Omni VI+, or my backup Corsair II, you're nuttier that Jim thinks Pat is.

Still, I appreciate the older gear, and it is a shame that a collection like Pat's is stacked up and pretty much unavailable for those who do appreciate the nostalgia, and the state-of-the-art in it's day.

So, for those who don't care... no problem, no offense taken. I'm simply looking for a positive spin. While Pat is still with us to enjoy the appreciation from those who do.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I'd (seriously) play with the Drake stuff more, but have too many other things going on (that's rationalization, not justification). The guys who are good at this stuff manage their time a lot better than moi and I love reading about it vicariously.

Neat Ham Radio Shit is in my top three for retirement. Playing Bass is in the top five now -- am I screwed yet?

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 07:48 PM
I'd (seriously) play with the Drake stuff more, but have too many other things going on (that's rationalization, not justification). The guys who are good at this stuff manage their time a lot better than moi and I love reading about it vicariously.

Neat Ham Radio Shit is in my top three for retirement. Playing Bass is in the top five now -- am I screwed yet?

No, but you're getting there.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 07:49 PM
No, but you're getting there.

Life will never allow me such luxuries. Trust me on this.

NA4BH
06-18-2012, 07:51 PM
One more and you earn the lifetime membership award for the Island. Ukelele?

KG4CGC
06-18-2012, 08:20 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/200803051430.jpg

Island Radio. KOCO radio.

I'm wondering, you buy the property next door, I think the wife, the kids and the grandchild commandeer the new property and leave you with old house, the pitbulls and the poop.

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
One more and you earn the lifetime membership award for the Island. Ukelele?

Do ukelele's have frets? Swear, that was the first thing I thought of, and I don't know a fret from Jeeebus.

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, just don't you fret over it.

N7YA
06-18-2012, 10:13 PM
The way i see it, i really love the look and feel of the old gear. I like how it sounds on the air (when properly maintained), but i prefer new, modern gear for my own operating position because i have different demands and uses than ragchewing, collecting, nostalgia, etc.

That said, i need to point out that this is a hobby. An enjoyable obsession that we all share. Something fired it up in us all to go out, study and get a ticket. The great thing about this hobby is that theres something for everyone, and lets face it, hams are not normal people in general. Some of us are clean freaks, some of us are hoarders, some are super nice and others are opinionated loudmouths. We come in all forms too...big, small, white, black, gay, straight, male, female, you name it...we are a big dysfunctional family.

If Pat wants to collect THAT many rigs, i say go for it. I also appreciate the preservation of history, no matter how insignificant it may seem to others. Its a quiet and unobtrusive practice. I see Pat as a caretaker of our history in some way. I collect keys...how insignificant is that? Very. I was on the Zed when our own Tom, 'ECI, started the SKCC, and all of us CW enthusiasts and key collectors came out of the woodwork to join...we were berated by a certain ham because it was "just a switch". I know its 'just a switch', but i also know i enjoy using them, collecting them and learning about their history. I also know that i dont give a shit about his opinion, i like keys.

We should all enjoy the hobby how we like while we still have the opportunity. Life is too fleeting not to.

NQ6U
06-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Nicely said, Adam. And even though my CW skills suck, I've got a small collection of keys started as well.

VE7DCW
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/200803051430.jpg

Island Radio. KOCO radio.

I'm wondering, you buy the property next door, I think the wife, the kids and the grandchild commandeer the new property and leave you with old house, the pitbulls and the poop.

I won't laugh at this one........ the professor did it all the time with a few coconuts and some jungle vines on Gilligan's Island !! so of course I have to believe !!!

KG4CGC
06-18-2012, 10:46 PM
I won't laugh at this one........ the professor did it all the time with a few coconuts and some jungle vines on Gilligan's Island !! so of course I have to believe !!!

... but he couldn't fix a phoquing hole in a GD boat.

wa6mhz
06-19-2012, 07:56 AM
That house across the empty lot is only 545 square feet with a 2 car garage. My son doesn't want because the clods behind that house shoot off fireworks all the time and his stupid pit bulls go CRAZY with the sound of fireworks. That is when they CHEWED UP the door to the DOG room! It is currently going for $140K, which is ridiculous for a 545 square foot house. in comparison, our house is listed as 1800 square feet plus the 2 car garage. And 1799 of those square feet are TAKEN!!!
So I don't see how I could squeeze 1799 square feet of junk (PLUS another 500 square feet of junk here at work) into a 545 Sqft house. If my house is PACKED now, this house would be just insane! And we would have to do alotta upgrades to it, like put bars on the windows and iron doors to keep the RAt BASTARD METHHEADS up here out of it from ripping it all off.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/128-Holly-Rd-El-Cajon-CA-92021/17051154_zpid/

KB3LAZ
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
That house across the empty lot is only 545 square feet with a 2 car garage. My son doesn't want because the clods behind that house shoot off fireworks all the time and his stupid pit bulls go CRAZY with the sound of fireworks. That is when they CHEWED UP the door to the DOG room! It is currently going for $140K, which is ridiculous for a 545 square foot house. in comparison, our house is listed as 1800 square feet plus the 2 car garage. And 1799 of those square feet are TAKEN!!!
So I don't see how I could squeeze 1799 square feet of junk (PLUS another 500 square feet of junk here at work) into a 545 Sqft house. If my house is PACKED now, this house would be just insane! And we would have to do alotta upgrades to it, like put bars on the windows and iron doors to keep the RAt BASTARD METHHEADS up here out of it from ripping it all off.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/128-Holly-Rd-El-Cajon-CA-92021/17051154_zpid/

Because it would not longer be a house. You gut it, put up shelving, organize it, etc.

N7YA
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
545 sq feet?? Thats not a house...thats a bathroom.

KB3LAZ
06-19-2012, 08:07 AM

Exaggeration, though my bathroom in the states used to be two guest rooms. Well, one and part of another. The remaining space was used to build a walk in closet.

wa6mhz
06-19-2012, 08:13 AM
I need a bigger bathroom so I can put a WHIRLPOOL in it. I don't do OUTDOOR HOT TUBS outside cuz the Black Widders all get under them and then crawl up the sides at night when U are trying to enjoy a soak. WAY WAY too many WIDDERS here in Crest to even THINK of going outside at night! Also, I don't hafta put on a SWIMSUIT if I had a Jacuzzi in my bathroom!

KC2UGV
06-19-2012, 08:19 AM
I need a bigger bathroom so I can put a WHIRLPOOL in it. I don't do OUTDOOR HOT TUBS outside cuz the Black Widders all get under them and then crawl up the sides at night when U are trying to enjoy a soak. WAY WAY too many WIDDERS here in Crest to even THINK of going outside at night! Also, I don't hafta put on a SWIMSUIT if I had a Jacuzzi in my bathroom!

Clear out some radios, and you'd be able to build jacuzzi room...

KB3LAZ
06-19-2012, 08:20 AM
I dont like spiders.

N8YX
06-19-2012, 08:43 AM
What's the black widow's natural predator? Seems the Crest area is a little short on them...

W3WN
06-19-2012, 08:44 AM

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/128-Holly-Rd-El-Cajon-CA-92021/17051154_zpid/1. Housing costs are going up.
2. So don't put the boy in the house, put the radios in the house
3. So not everything goes on display at once. Can you say "addition"? I knew you could. To say nothing of upgrading an attic (put on a dormer, for one thing).
3a. Besides, floor to ceiling shelving... and not just on the walls, but in the rooms as well.

Pat, like I said earlier over yonder, and others have said... you have a collection, not a museum. To have a museum, you must have displays. Here's your chance.

Can you do everything at once? No. Did you build your collection all at once? No. But you HAVE to start somewhere.

W3WN
06-19-2012, 08:49 AM
What's the black widow's natural predator? Seems the Crest area is a little short on them...Iron Man and the Avengers, but that was before she defected. Probably her ex, the original Red Guardian.

KC2UGV
06-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Pat, like I said earlier over yonder, and others have said... you have a collection, not a museum.

A collection is something that can be enjoyed; even if for nothing else but looking at. This is an obsession, and some would say unhealthy.

But, I agree: I'd convert this obsession into something enjoyable, either by setting up a proper display of sorts; or downsizing, so one can enjoy what one has.

KB3LAZ
06-19-2012, 09:05 AM
What's the black widow's natural predator? Seems the Crest area is a little short on them...

Some wasps, types of mantis, and centipedes or millipedes I believe.

K7SGJ
06-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Raid

wa6mhz
06-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Actually, we need more TOADS and Lizards!!! They eat the WIDDERS! SEND US YOUR FROGS!!! WE NEED FROGS!!! MORE FROGS!!!! HELP!!! QRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the Gieco Gecko when you need him?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AoS9kfI89Q4/TT6LwmUe70I/AAAAAAAAAwY/ltrO4KrI8-4/s1600/African+bullfrog.jpg

K7SGJ
06-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Actually, we need more TOADS and Lizards!!! They eat the WIDDERS! SEND US YOUR FROGS!!! WE NEED FROGS!!! MORE FROGS!!!! HELP!!! QRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the Gieco Gecko when you need him?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AoS9kfI89Q4/TT6LwmUe70I/AAAAAAAAAwY/ltrO4KrI8-4/s1600/African+bullfrog.jpg

On a zip line with the fu(king pig.

KB3LAZ
06-19-2012, 09:17 AM

No toads for you! All your neighbors will be licking them.

kf0rt
06-19-2012, 09:32 AM

No joke. You'd have to go outside to change your mind.

K7SGJ
06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
No joke. You'd have to go outside to change your mind.

Yeah, that's true. But look at the bathroom. Whata time saving concept. Shit and shower, at the same time.

KB3LAZ
06-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah, that's true. But look at the bathroom. Whata time saving concept. Shit and shower, at the same time.

Shit! I got that beat. If I get a hang over or the flu I can shit and throw up at the same time without getting it in the sink! I knew the bidet would be good for something.

K7SGJ
06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Shit! I got that beat. If I get a hang over or the flu I can shit and throw up at the same time without getting it in the sink! I knew the bidet would be good for something.

Bidet? When my kids were little, I told them it was a drinking fountain.

wa6mhz
06-19-2012, 09:58 AM
BIDET??? I need somethiing like they have at the DIY CAR WASH!!!! But I do wonder what the WAX cycle would do to my ass!

K7SGJ
06-19-2012, 10:00 AM
BIDET??? I need somethiing like they have at the DIY CAR WASH!!!! But I do wonder what the WAX cycle would do to my ass!

They don't hold THAT much wax.

KG4CGC
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
They have exterminators for Black Widows. I'd double check but I think it's legal to shoot meth heads now.

wa6mhz
06-19-2012, 11:55 AM
METHHEADS are like ZOMBIES on CRACK!

KG4CGC
06-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Considering that the new cases in the news are about the people on bath salts, it's a wonder they can get them considering that all that shit was supposed to be pulled off the shelves nationally. Perhaps Mexico kidnapped the chemist and he's working for them now. Most meth heads hated the bath salts so I guess if both were available on the BM the market would dictate that bath salts are not profitable enough.

N8YX
06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Bath salts + trunking scanner + 7/4 + a bottle or two of booze is going to make for some interesting PS listening.

kf0rt
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Bath salts + trunking scanner + 7/4 + a bottle or two of booze is going to make for some interesting PS listening.

Throw in a Bidet and...

N7YA
06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
METHHEADS are like ZOMBIES on CRACK!

They arent 'like' them, they ARE them!

kf0rt
06-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Went to a "seminar" a couple years ago at work (free and optional) put on by an identity theft expert from one of the local sheriff departments. Dude said that nearly 100% of the ID theft in the Denver area is meth related. A lot of checking account thefts, mostly. Steal, wipe (or forge) and re-use.

KG4CGC
06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Went to a "seminar" a couple years ago at work (free and optional) put on by an identity theft expert from one of the local sheriff departments. Dude said that nearly 100% of the ID theft in the Denver area is meth related. A lot of checking account thefts, mostly. Steal, wipe (or forge) and re-use.

While I'm sure that did happen, that type of identity theft is part of an arm of organized crime syndicates from around the world.

kf0rt
06-19-2012, 06:41 PM
While I'm sure that did happen, that type of identity theft is part of an arm of organized crime syndicates from around the world.

I don't doubt that. Does the syndicate include meth?

KG4CGC
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't doubt that. Does the syndicate include meth?

I'm sure it does but what I'm saying is that the way you described it is that the police said meth head=identity thief. To me anyway.
Identity theft for the sake of accessing bank accounts though is a billions dollar industry worldwide.

kf0rt
06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm sure it does but what I'm saying is that the way you described it is that the police said meth head=identity thief. To me anyway.
Identity theft for the sake of accessing bank accounts though is a billions dollar industry worldwide.

I'd guess he was saying identity thief = meth head. Subtle distinction, I grant you. Lots of talk about how checks are swiped at restaurants, mailboxes and such. The hint was that you're doing good if you can avoid checks as much as possible, particularly in any public place. Similar deal with credit cards, but a lot more protection there.

I still know people who refuse to buy on the Internet for fear of ID theft.

WØTKX
06-20-2012, 10:46 AM
... but he couldn't fix a phoquing hole in a GD boat.

Or Ginger's, either. :whistle: