PDA

View Full Version : Okay all you Apple Gurus out there

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Here's the deal. I have three Android based tablets, the Kindle Fire, another 7 inch, and a Colby 10 inch that I just picked up. (Also a buch of desktop units that we don't use any more, and a slew of laptops, PDAs, etc) I really have fun with them, and learning the OS is also fun and easy. None of them required a major expense, so the cost vs fun ratio is well worth it. The Kindle is for books and a few games, and maybe an in-bed movie if I can't sleep. The other 7 inch and the 10 inch, I use for service work, since hard copy stuff is getting harder to find, or gets FU after a few uses, drops on the floor, etc. The electronic equipment documentation is, for the most part, easy to find, but the PDF versions are often free and readily available. It's also nice to be able to magnify a particular part of a schematic or text if necessary. And obviously, storage of many many manuals takes up no space at all. The other 7 incher has a front and rear camera which can be handy. The front facing is a 5MP which is nice for Ebay photos, or for clock work. I do, however, use my Canon camera for taking clock photos when documenting the dis-assembly is important, and hi-res closeups are necessary. When working on the tractor or anything else mechanical, I just put the 7 inch in a zip lock bag, and I can access the info I need and not get grease all over the thing. It does, however, make the capacitive touch screen a little challenging to use at times.

Since the dog likes to use this folding table, the one with my 18 inch laptop that is my main unit on it, as a dog house, and puts the computer in jeopardy, I thought maybe a "good" tablet, like an Ipad, would be in order for most of my serious computing. I have a few questions for those of you that have, have had, or have used one, and are somewhat familiar with them.

What is battery life in the real world?

I would definitely go 64Gb memory/storage, but I'm not sure about which model to go with. Are any of the features on the new Ipad worth the extra cost. I know the major difference is the screen resolution, and wonder if it is really worth the extra $$?

How responsive is the touch screen?

Anyone tried the photography kit that uses the expansion port for USB and facilitates the use of external SD memory? Any other accessories worth considering whether OEM or third party?

And, any other general comments on how well you like it, some of it's strong points as well as weak points? Any recommendations as to software that you like and use often?

And, any other considerations that I may have overlooked.

Thanks for the input

NQ6U
06-17-2012, 02:38 PM
What exactly are you intending to use it for? If you're thinking of it as a replacement for your laptop, you may be disappointed. For Web browsing and e-mail, just the basic iPad should be sufficient. Screen responsiveness is excellent, Apple really excels at that sort of thing. The "Retina Display" is very nice, my iPhone 4 has one and it's a huge improvement over the display on my old 3G. Given the type of use you plan for it, it's probably worth the extra bucks.

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks Carlo. I'd probably be using it for things just like you suggested, but I only want the wi-fi version as I can't afford the additional monthly charges. I just want to get rid of this table, (that would thrill the wife) and put the laptop somewhere safe. It's an 18 inch unit and I bought it as a desktop replacement, but it is a little awkward to use on the lap. It does, however, do a terrific job for me in place of a desktop. As far as the Apple goes, I think for the extra $$ I will consider the new hi-res unit. With more and more hot spots showing up, I usually carry the 7 inch tablet with me, so if I drop or lose it, no big deal. The Ipad would be strictly home bound. I'm really getting to where I like using a tablet, and I never though I would.

Since my daughter is here from Tx for a couple of weeks, we are going to go to Laughlin for a few days, and I just know I'll win more than enough for an Ipad or two. Actually, I'll be lucky to be able to afford a pad of paper and pencil.

Thanks again for the input. I think I have resigned myself to slowly osmos to Apple since the more Windows matures, the more I hate it. Although it does work well for digital ops and solitaire.

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Don't you also do photog stuff? I seem to recall you are quite the photog or musician (I could be way off). But, if you are either, then the iPad (Whatever the new one is) would most certainly be a great call.

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 09:52 AM
I do dabble in photography, but the only thing I play is the radio. I do have my old 12 string and a few six strings around, but haven't picked them up in years. It's starting to look like the Island HOA will be requiring not only a valid ham license, but ownership of at least one guitar, bass preferred, of course.

I plan on upgrading my camera stuff before my wife retires later this year, and hope to do a little traveling and clicking.

But, yes, I think you are spot on about the Ipad. I know if I buy the standard model, I'll be wishing I'd bought the new one.

KJ3N
06-18-2012, 10:05 AM
It's starting to look like the Island HOA will be requiring not only a valid ham license, but ownership of at least one guitar, bass preferred, of course.

Then I'm in serious trouble..... :shifty:

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Then I'm in serious trouble..... :shifty:

Aw, you can pick up uke at a yard sale for a couple of bucks, and you'd be in like Flynn. (BTW who the hell IS Flynn, anyway?)

ETA Checks in the mail. Mahlo Nui Loa.

NA4BH
06-18-2012, 11:18 AM
The wife and I each have an iPAD. Hers is just for ordinary stuff, I use mine for work. We love them.

Mahlo Nui Loa (Never could understand French) :lol:

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 11:41 AM
The wife and I each have an iPAD. Hers is just for ordinary stuff, I use mine for work. We love them.

(Never could understand French) :lol:

Thanks, good to know.

Pourquoi?

NA4BH
06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Pourquoi?

I don't know, that's just the way it is.....

n6hcm
06-20-2012, 01:54 AM
As far as the Apple goes, I think for the extra $$ I will consider the new hi-res unit. With more and more hot spots showing up, I usually carry the 7 inch tablet with me, so if I drop or lose it, no big deal. The Ipad would be strictly home bound. I'm really getting to where I like using a tablet, and I never though I would.

this is exactly what i ended up doing ... no regrets. i am, however, going to a conference on thursday and am thinking of bringing my ipad since it is better for note-taking.

WØTKX
06-20-2012, 07:03 AM
I want an iPad, but my new Lumia 900 has a pretty freaking big screen for a smartphone Maybe later.