PDA

View Full Version : Island Roster

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 01:03 PM
How about a simple roster, or list, of call signs and preferred first names. It is nice when you can address someone by the name that they like. Some folks even use a nickname, or something other than that which is on their FCC License or the ULS. It's also a good way to get to know the new people, of which there have been quite a few, lately, and it would be nice to have one place to go, or to have a list to print out. Maybe even do a list of Call-First Name-State.

After all, we have more of a family atmosphere on the Island than any other site, and it's all about family. Do it for the children.

Or, in my case, for the old farts that can't remember someones name and have to fake it. Hell, at times, I can't even remember my own name, and it would be nice not having to try to remember where I left my wallet and drivers license.

WØTKX
06-17-2012, 01:15 PM
I will occasionally allow the use of my middle name if there are too many Davids.

Of course, that never happens in the 4th dimension.

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Image/NewsImage/4/74669/178508/1

NQ6U
06-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Excellent idea. Not that I ever get anyone's name wrong, Bob.

N2CHX
06-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Excellent idea. Not that I ever get anyone's name wrong, Bob.

You get names wrong all the time, Willard. You need to put away the bong so you remember things better.

NQ6U
06-17-2012, 01:40 PM
You get names wrong all the time, Willard.

That's not true, Kathy.

You need to put away the bong so you remember things better.

I'm not using a bong anymore. I can't remember where I left it last time.

N2CHX
06-17-2012, 01:49 PM
That's not true, Kathy.

I'm not using a bong anymore. I can't remember where I left it last time.

It's next to the crack pipe on the coffee table, George.

KG4CGC
06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Key%20West%202012/dd4f582a.jpg

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder if you call it a crack pipe because of what's in it, or where he puts it?

NQ6U
06-17-2012, 02:39 PM
It's next to the crack pipe on the coffee table, George.

Oh, hey, you're right! Thanks, Karen.

XE1/N5AL
06-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Any Bentleys on the Board?

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Don't know about Bentleys, but I know several are bent from time to time.

NQ6U
06-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Don't know about Bentleys, but I know several are bent from time to time.

Or should get so.

W4GPL
06-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Could we just used the member list and add a few profile categories? http://forums.hamisland.net/memberlist.php

http://forums.hamisland.net/memberlist.php?do=search

You can do a fairly advanced search, so any data we want to add to the profile, we can..

ki4itv
06-18-2012, 06:15 AM
How about a simple roster, or list, of call signs and preferred first names. It is nice when you can address someone by the name that they like. Some folks even use a nickname, or something other than that which is on their FCC License or the ULS. It's also a good way to get to know the new people, of which there have been quite a few, lately, and it would be nice to have one place to go, or to have a list to print out. Maybe even do a list of Call-First Name-State.

After all, we have more of a family atmosphere on the Island than any other site, and it's all about family. Do it for the children.

Or, in my case, for the old farts that can't remember someones name and have to fake it. Hell, at times, I can't even remember my own name, and it would be nice not having to try to remember where I left my wallet and drivers license.

I like this approach and often try to use a persons name around here. One of the few places I bother to do it.

W4GPL
06-18-2012, 06:22 AM
As I said.. we can add "preferred handle (first name)" to the list.. we might even be able to add things like phone number, etc if y'all are interested.

Point being.. vBulletin can probably accommodate this idea. Just let me know what y'all want and we can make it happen. :)

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Well, if the list had the call sign, preferred handle, email address, and maybe the City and State, that would suit me, and as you all should know by now, it's all about me, anyway. Maybe the city and state ins't so necessary, but I'm always curious to know where folks live. Any other info is good, too. However, I don't know if a phone number would be necessary. If someone need to call another, that info could be passed along when necessary. Maybe make it optional.

Anyway, Jeff was kind enough to entertain the idea, and I thank you. I know it would be helpful for me, because I like to use a first name from time to time. It makes things a little more personal and friendly, and to me, that's what this place is all about. Unlike the others.

So what say the rest of you? Ya bastids

NQ6U
06-18-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm with Eddie—call sign, preferred handle, email address, and the City and State. I don't think I want my phone number hanging out there for just anybody to call.

N2CHX
06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
How about frequencies/bands/modes/rigs frequently used?

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 11:41 AM
How about frequencies/bands/modes/rigs frequently used?

And make sure Echolink is available as a preferred mode. As well as WinLink :lol:

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 11:43 AM
And make sure Echolink is available as a preferred mode. As well as WinLink :lol:

That oughta draw Chuckles to our happy shores.

N8YX
06-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Chuckles will only hang out in a place where he's assured a 'victory' upon proselityzing his arguments. Won't happen here; he knows it and we knows it.

KB3LAZ
06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Last I knew we had a member list. However, a more detailed profile and or bio would be something that I personally would use. It seems that others would as well.

NY3V
06-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Who'se first?

Aardvark or Asshat? ;)

VE7DCW
06-18-2012, 09:33 PM

I'm wondering if there any Bartholomews out there ..... :spin:

VE7DCW
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM

....or that Bonnie Crystal (KQ6XA) .....she's always good for a few laughs on anything ALE or Winlink related!

KC2UGV
06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
....or that Bonnie Crystal (KQ6XA) .....she's always good for a few laughs on anything ALE or Winlink related!

That website is a hoot. Trying to hard to make it look "high tech". She ripped an LCARS theme and used it.

ki4itv
06-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Bonnie's been here and failed already (I think I remember that? could have been 30MDG?). Chuckles, on the other hand...
But, anyway, bless Winlink all you want. The Winlink Network is not at all about ham radio. It's a utility.

W5GA
06-21-2012, 11:53 PM
All ya gotta do is ask.

N2CHX
06-22-2012, 06:28 AM
All ya gotta do is ask.

So that's what that is. Some douchebottle driving one of those cut me off yesterday, hardcore. Good thing I was in a good mood, because otherwise I would have accidentally planted my Chuck Taylor in his door and my hand almost had an intimate encounter with his side mirror.

N8YX
06-22-2012, 09:08 AM
So that's what that is. Some douchebottle driving one of those cut me off yesterday, hardcore. Good thing I was in a good mood, because otherwise I would have accidentally planted my Chuck Taylor in his door and my hand almost had an intimate encounter with his side mirror.
Please search for and listen to "If I Had A Rocket Launcher" - by Bruce Cockburn - on YouTube.

That is all.

Ren prefers a ball-peen hammer, by the way.

W5GA
06-22-2012, 10:59 AM
yup, all 1/4 mil worth of it.

KG4NEL
06-30-2012, 11:29 PM
The only way to successfully drive in areas full of both affluence and stupidity is in something that's worth about as much as their lugnuts alone.

It's incredibly freeing - I figured if anyone wanted to play tag with my pile of rust, I figured I'd at least give them a big target to aim for. Keep the vehicles you care about at home, hidden away for the weekend :cool2:

W5GA
07-07-2012, 01:38 AM
The only way to successfully drive in areas full of both affluence and stupidity is in something that's worth about as much as their lugnuts alone.

It's incredibly freeing - I figured if anyone wanted to play tag with my pile of rust, I figured I'd at least give them a big target to aim for. Keep the vehicles you care about at home, hidden away for the weekend :cool2:
I always wanted some junker so that if a person did something stupid, I could step on the gas.