PDA

View Full Version : Power Supplies

KK4ICV
06-17-2012, 11:39 AM
I was looking to get a bigger power supply. Several people have told me to stay away from switching supplies and only use regulated supplies. And vice versa some people have told me the opposite. I was just wondering what is your opinion and experience with them. I have also had several people reccommend these power supplies to me they use them and have had no problems. Here is a link to the one that is being reccommended:
http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=102771

They are certainly a good price. I just dont know.
Thanks,
Daniel
KK4ICV

WØTKX
06-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Cheap switchers make noise, better ones don't or a least let you "shift" the hash noise frequency. All power supplies for ham radio use are regulated, non-switchers need a bigger transformer. A used non-switcher is a good bet, might need the electrolytic caps replaced. I'd look on your local Craigslist for a good used one.

For the short term, you can use a lower wattage cheapie if you turn the transmit power down on the radio. Some people have had luck combining or bridging throw away computer supplies, but they tend to be noisy. If you have a good car battery, use that, and charge it when you don't have the radio on.

KJ3N
06-17-2012, 12:11 PM
I see a lot of cheap Chinese crap on that site. I prefer to stick to name brands like Alinco, Astron, etc. Never "cheap out" where it counts.

In order of preference for switching power supplies:

1) Alinco DM-330MVT
2) Astron SS-30
3) MFJ-4245MV

I have all 3. I can detect no RFI from any of them.

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Cheap switchers make noise, better ones don't or a least let you "shift" the hash noise frequency. All power supplies for ham radio use are regulated, non-switchers need a bigger transformer. A used non-switcher is a good bet, might need the electrolytic caps replaced. I'd look on your local Craigslist for a good used one.

For the short term, you can use a lower wattage cheapie if you turn the transmit power down on the radio. Some people have had luck combining or bridging throw away computer supplies, but they tend to be noisy. If you have a good car battery, use that, and charge it when you don't have the radio on.

Welcome to the Island Daniel. The bartender will be along shortly. The first one always goes on Carl's tab. Of course, he never pays it anyway, the Bastid. If things are tight, or you want to get the most bang for the buck, the car battery + charger is a good way to go until you find a good AC supply. There are many SLA batteries out there that would do a good job, too, and they are quite inexpensive and safe.

If size and weight are not a consideration, I would personally prefer the analog (non-switching) supply. Like was mentioned above, the switchers can cause noise at RF frequencies, and with my luck, it is usually the frequency I want to use. I believe some of the "ham" stores carry the switchers that are least likely to cause a problem. Take your time and I would almost guarantee a good deal will present itself when you least expect it. Another possibility is to consider a swap if you have something of about equal value you no longer need. Good luck with your quest.

PA5COR
06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Besides a gaggle of homebrew PSU's running 40 - 80 amp i have 2 SEC 1223 switchers that produce no hf junk, work since years as they should, and made several trips from the Netherlands to France hobbling in the van to feed the FT 847 or FT 100 whichevr i took me then.
23 amps, rock solid and cheap.

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but he probably doesn't have a van.

KG4CGC
06-17-2012, 12:48 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/636685dd.jpg

NQ6U
06-17-2012, 01:01 PM
I kick myself in the ass every time I think about how I passed up on that 100 amp industrial battery charger that I could have had for nothing from my last employer. It didn't work properly (bad rectifier, I think) but the big old honkin' transformer was still good and it would have made the heart of a killer analog PS.

PA5COR
06-17-2012, 01:06 PM
I used to make a bridge recifier from alternator diodes good for 125 amps for that and a softstart to charge the 500.000 Micro Farad electrolitic capacitors for that...
7 2N 3772 transistors on a 2 foot heatsink with 2 each 5 inch fans temperature controled keeps them cool.
Used to deliver 80 amps from 3 volt to 24 volt 24/7 if need be.

The SEC 1223 has a fan that only starts to work when the PSU is really hot.

ki4itv
06-17-2012, 01:17 PM
i have 2 SEC 1223 switchers that produce no hf junk, work since years as they should,...

I also have one of these and it works finebidness.
Pretty cheap too.

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 02:00 PM
I kick myself in the ass every time I think about how I passed up on that 100 amp industrial battery charger that I could have had for nothing from my last employer. It didn't work properly (bad rectifier, I think) but the big old honkin' transformer was still good and it would have made the heart of a killer analog PS.

Let us know if you need any help with that kick in the ass thing. I'm sure the list of volunteers would be long, and distinguished.

WØTKX
06-17-2012, 02:12 PM
I have two of those Samlex 1223 units. And a Powerwerks supply. They all work well.

KG4CGC
06-17-2012, 02:33 PM
4 Chinese guys jump out of a supply closet and yell:
SUPPLIES!

W3WN
06-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I was looking to get a bigger power supply. Several people have told me to stay away from switching supplies and only use regulated supplies. And vice versa some people have told me the opposite. I was just wondering what is your opinion and experience with them. I have also had several people reccommend these power supplies to me they use them and have had no problems. Here is a link to the one that is being reccommended:
http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=102771

They are certainly a good price. I just dont know.
Thanks,
Daniel
KK4ICVWelcome to the Island, Daniel. I understand that the first round from our barkeep has been put on Carl's tab, I'll pick up the second one.

Regarding power supplies: I'm not familiar at all with the brand that the 409Shop is selling, but I'd certainly be cautious. That's an AWFULLY good price on a 29 amp supply... assuming that it performs as advertised. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but having been burned a few times, if the price is too good to be true, there must be a reason.

That said... except for the dedicated supplies that came with each of my Ten-Tec HF rigs, all of my power supplies at present are Astrons. I'd had a small switching Astron at one time with a dual-band rig I had to sell, never had an issue with that. The other guys are all the old-fashioned brute-force ones. Outside of a regulator chip going bad on my RS-20A (never did fix that, found an RS-35A at a hamfest for less than the cost of a replacement board from Astron... and this was a 20 year old supply), haven't had an issue.

You ought to be able find a used Astron RS-20 at a hamfest in the $50 range, RS-35 in the $60 range, depending on condition. Now, some people will ask for more, but as a practical matter, from what I've observed, that's the going rate.

You won't go wrong with an Astron. (They're the OEM for certain Kenwood PS's, incidentally)

kf0rt
06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
I use a small Astron switcher (SS-25). It doesn't put out any noise, but is a little susceptible to stray RF. Too much RF and it powers down. Other than that, works fine. :dunno:

As long as I keep it separated from the radio a bit, no problems.

KJ3N
06-17-2012, 04:29 PM
I use a small Astron switcher (SS-25). It doesn't put out any noise, but is a little susceptible to stray RF. Too much RF and it powers down. Other than that, works fine. :dunno:

As long as I keep it separated from the radio a bit, no problems.

:chin:

I've run a kilowatt at times and I've never had any of my 3 switching power supplies shut down.

KA9MOT
06-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Look at the specs of that supply you linked to. 12V @29A. At 12V many rigs will shut down, and all rigs will be starved creating performance problems. Whatever supply you chose, make sure it is a 13.8V supply.

I have an Astron 35A PS that performs flawlessly.

KC9RFO
06-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I have to give a thumbs up to Astron also. Running a 35A that i got used from someone on Craigslist several years ago. Very solid PS that never complains :)

NQ6U
06-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Let us know if you need any help with that kick in the ass thing. I'm sure the list of volunteers would be long, and distinguished.

Well, you got the long part right anyhow. Bring a lawn chair and a good book to pass the time.

KC9ECI
06-17-2012, 06:33 PM
I've been using the Alinco for nearly a decade now, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another if I needed one. http://www.alinco.com/Products/DM330MVE/

KG4NEL
06-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but he probably doesn't have a van.

I'd sell mine. :-D

KA9MOT
06-18-2012, 12:47 AM
I have to give a thumbs up to Astron also. Running a 35A that i got used from someone on Craigslist several years ago. Very solid PS that never complains :)

Howdy Neighbor! Welcome to the Island!

KC9RFO
06-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks appreciate it :)

Howdy Neighbor! Welcome to the Island!

N8YX
06-18-2012, 08:36 AM

I've run a kilowatt at times and I've never had any of my 3 switching power supplies shut down.

I have two Icom PS-30s (switchers) in the lineup. One was used to power an IC-751A, slaved R-71A and an AT-500 which were being run in conjunction with an IC-2KL.

Zero noise and zero problems when the whole ensemble was running QRO.

Icom's switchers aren't cheap but apparently you get what you pay for.

KK4ICV
06-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks to all your posts. I must say that I have really enjoyed the comments. (Much better than some other site) I really like the atmosphere here. I have have decided on a Astron 35 amp metered power supply. Which I picked up for $60 in nearly new condition.

PA5COR
06-19-2012, 05:46 PM
It will serve you well, and some capacity to spare as well, always a good idea ;)

ki4itv
06-19-2012, 05:48 PM
:agree:
Nice.
Stick around, we got girls with fruit on their heads...somewhere around here, anyway... don't be a stranger. :)

NA4BH
06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
It will serve you well, and some capacity to spare as well, always a good idea ;)

There's a place in Chattanooga that sells what you need (1 hour away).

C.T. Morgan & Associates
2300 E. 34th St.
Chattanooga, TN 37407
423/629-7911

Good folks, I bought my AL80B from them. It's not hard to find, it's just hard to recognize as a business. :lol:

http://www.ctmorgan.com/

I guess I should read the whole post. For your future needs go see C.T. Morgan

kf0rt
06-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks to all your posts. I must say that I have really enjoyed the comments. (Much better than some other site) I really like the atmosphere here. I have have decided on a Astron 35 amp metered power supply. Which I picked up for $60 in nearly new condition.

Good choice, I think.

(I must have a lemon.)

KC9ECI
06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
:agree:
Nice.
Stick around, we got girls with fruit on their heads...somewhere around here, anyway... don't be a stranger. :)

Yeah, that was me. I got in to the shine again.

NQ6U
06-19-2012, 09:55 PM

Score! Great deal, glad you found it.

KG4CGC
06-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Oh look what I found! http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/power-management/switching-mode-power-supply/basics-tutorial.php

WØTKX
06-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Good choice, I think.

(I must have a lemon.)

I have one of those Astrons, it did the same thing a few times and crapped out. It's in the "roundtuit" pile.

Rather spend my (recently limited) time fixing radios than power supplies, but I'll put it to use when I do fix it.

Nothing is a problem with the application of sufficient funds, eh? :lol:

KA9MOT
06-20-2012, 04:49 PM

Awesome! If the Meters are lit when the power is on, then it is a newer PS. The nice thing about the Astron Linear supplies is that they are easy to work on, and you can get parts and schematics for them. Not like my old Pyramid 36AMP.... That thing was a pile of crappola!

WØTKX
06-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Pyramid scheme (atic).

KA9MOT
06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I see you spell better than I! :lol: I'll go fix mine now......

WØTKX
06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Pun-eeeeeeee shit! ;)

K7SGJ
06-21-2012, 07:52 PM

Smokin deal. You won't be disappointed.