PDA

View Full Version : I went out junkin today

K7SGJ
06-16-2012, 03:08 PM
And found a few old clocks and odds and ends; but look what I got for thirty bucks, for both. Man what a deal

W5GA
06-16-2012, 03:20 PM
And found a few old clocks and odds and ends; but look what I got for thirty bucks, for both. Man what a deal

The radio is cool, but why the Pachinko machine?

K7SGJ
06-16-2012, 03:37 PM
The radio is cool, but why the Pachinko machine?

Because I don't have one.

Actually, my wife likes to play and says I never buy her anything. What she really wants is a Centipede game, cocktail table style. I think I'm going to build her that around a MAME system. I just about have the furniture part figured the way I want it. As soon as I finish up the kitchen cabinets, I'll get started on that. Hopefully, the pachinko will keep her amused till then.

n2ize
06-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Years ago I found that same radio in a backyard junkyard at some guys place along a dirt doad in the backroads of the Adirondacks near the Canadian border. He let me take it for free. But, it was so badly rotted, probably from sitting out in the rain and snow for ages, that it literally fell apart in my hands. I did collect the old tubes and some of the rarer parts in the event I find one in better condition.

K7SGJ
06-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Other than being dusty and missing the chassis bolts, It appears to be in pretty good shape. The wood is in excellent condition. It should be fun to restore it. The last one I did was an old farm style radio. We have several old radios around the place and a shitload (metric) of old clocks. I guess I'm going to have to start parting with some of the clocks because I probably don't have all that much time left. (pun intended)

n2ize
06-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Other than being dusty and missing the chassis bolts, It appears to be in pretty good shape. The wood is in excellent condition. It should be fun to restore it. The last one I did was an old farm style radio. We have several old radios around the place and a shitload (metric) of old clocks. I guess I'm going to have to start parting with some of the clocks because I probably don't have all that much time left. (pun intended)

I'm always interested in old travel clocks and watches with authentic radium dials. I love that nice steady blue-green scintillating glow. So much nicer than that fake radium.

N7YA
06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
I like the pachinko game. My dad used to have one in the livingroom, i used to play it all the time...especially when they were trying to sleep.

w2amr
06-16-2012, 05:14 PM

6066Outstanding!:clap:

w2amr
06-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Hey Ed, ever see one of these? My dad got it out of the trash when I was a kid. I'm thinking it may be a memento of one of byrd's polar expeditions. To start the clock you spin the prop on the plane, and it continues to spin as the clock runs. Also on the front are the words Polar Bird.

N7YA
06-17-2012, 05:12 AM
That clock fucking rocks! I would actually defy my wifes request to "Get that ugly thing outta here!"...and place it proudly in the shack, out of her view, of course. I think its beautiful!

w2amr
06-17-2012, 05:24 AM
That clock fucking rocks! I would actually defy my wifes request to "Get that ugly thing outta here!"...and place it proudly in the shack, out of her view, of course. I think its beautiful!Tnx Adam. Maybe our clock guy will come along and give us some info in it.

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Hey Ed, ever see one of these? My dad got it out of the trash when I was a kid. I'm thinking it may be a memento of one of byrd's polar expeditions. To start the clock you spin the prop on the plane, and it continues to spin as the clock runs. Also on the front are the words Polar Bird.

Totally awesome. I've never run into one of those before, but being an airplane nut and clock fanatic, it's just my kind of clock. I'll do some sniffin around to see if I can find any info on it. Needless to say, we have at least a hundred clocks around here. I've always been partial to the old kitchen clocks, cuckoo clocks, the little Lux Keeblers, the really old and the unusual. I just finish rebuilding the movement from the 7 foot hand carved oak Grandfather clock my my gave me when we got married. Love the sound.

w2amr
06-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Totally awesome. I've never run into one of those before, but being an airplane nut and clock fanatic, it's just my kind of clock. I'll do some sniffin around to see if I can find any info on it. Needless to say, we have at least a hundred clocks around here. I've always been partial to the old kitchen clocks, cuckoo clocks, the little Lux Keeblers, the really old and the unusual. I just finish rebuilding the movement from the 7 foot hand carved oak Grandfather clock my my gave me when we got married. Love the sound.So at the top of each hour you run for the ear plugs?:mrgreen:

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 09:36 AM
I learned two things, long ago, 1. don't wind them all at once 2. don't set them all to the same time.

w2amr
06-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Totally awesome. I've never run into one of those before, but being an airplane nut and clock fanatic, it's just my kind of clock. I'll do some sniffin around to see if I can find any info on it. Needless to say, we have at least a hundred clocks around here. I've always been partial to the old kitchen clocks, cuckoo clocks, the little Lux Keeblers, the really old and the unusual. I just finish rebuilding the movement from the 7 foot hand carved oak Grandfather clock my my gave me when we got married. Love the sound.
Here is a close up

w2amr
06-17-2012, 09:41 AM
I learned two things, long ago, 1. don't wind them all at once 2. don't set them all to the same time.Ha!

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 09:43 AM

Look on the back and let me know if it has Hammond or New Jersey Clock Co. or both on it.

ETA From the NAWCC site, they say Hammond made the motor, and that particular clock was made for a few years between 1920 and 1941. I'll see if I can locate any more on it, or a value. If you like, I can make a formal request for information from the research folks at the museum. It doesn't appear there are large quantities of them, but serveral are still around. The whole deal about spinning the prop to start the electric motor is quite cool. It looks like there are a few variations of the clock as to color and the scene.

w2amr
06-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Look on the back and let me know if it has Hammond or New Jersey Clock Co. or both on it.

ETA From the NAWCC site, they say Hammond made the motor, and that particular clock was made for a few years between 1920 and 1941. I'll see if I can locate any more on it, or a value. If you like, I can make a formal request for information from the research folks at the museum. It doesn't appear there are large quantities of them, but serveral are still around. The whole deal about spinning the prop to start the electric motor is quite cool. It looks like there are a few variations of the clock as to color and the scene.I would love to know the history behind it. The case seems to be bakelite, and there are no markings on the clock other than the front. I'll take the case off of it and see if there is anything printed inside.

w2amr
06-17-2012, 12:20 PM
The only markings on the inside are on the motor.
Hammond lot no 1499
then a pat #

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 12:29 PM
That pretty much confirms what I found. Here are a few other pix I found. Do these look like it?

w2amr
06-17-2012, 01:02 PM
That pretty much confirms what I found. Here are a few other pix I found. Do these look like it?

Damn, that's it. But the ID badge is missing from mine. Did you find a date Ed?

K7SGJ
06-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Nothing specific. Just the range of about 1920-1940. Definitely pre WW2. The only other way to get a closer idea is from the motor data. Is there any other info besides the Hammond and the 1499 lot #? What is the patent # or #s. If there are more than one it might help date it.

kb2vxa
06-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Interesting it would have a Hammond motor made by the Hammond Clock Company of Chicago between 1928 and 1941. Yup, same Laurens Hammond who invented the organ. The name Polar Bird is the biggest clue, note the airplane, a Fairchild FW2W2 named Stars and Stripes and the ship, the motor schooner City of New York. The clock commemorates Admiral Richard E. Byrd's 1928-1930 Antarctic expedition.

KK4AMI
06-17-2012, 07:49 PM
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/early-polar-bird-artic-animated-airplane-chronart

w2amr
06-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Great stuff Guy, thanks!

kf0rt
06-18-2012, 05:47 AM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=polar+bird+clock&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

There have been a couple on eBay recently.

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=polar+bird+clock&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

There have been a couple on eBay recently.

Well, there you go. Looks like it's value is around that of a mint Ts 440SAT.

N7YA
06-18-2012, 07:48 PM
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/early-polar-bird-artic-animated-airplane-chronart

I was tooling around that site. Very cool. I have a bunch of old stuff that i never thought i would want to part with, but i need to part with it as a concession to my wife so i can buy more old junk.

If you have a particular interest, i have old junk, i can take a look and see whats down in the junk room.

K7SGJ
06-18-2012, 07:59 PM
I was tooling around that site. Very cool. I have a bunch of old stuff that i never thought i would want to part with, but i need to part with it as a concession to my wife so i can buy more old junk.

If you have a particular interest, i have old junk, i can take a look and see whats down in the junk room.

Pix plse

suddenseer
06-18-2012, 09:02 PM
George, remember Adm Byrd was like Neil Armstrong to that era. He was a national hero. He still is in my lexicon. You should take that piece of Americana to Antiques Roadshow (one of my favorite TV shows). Well done Sir, well done. :clap:

w2amr
06-19-2012, 04:05 AM
George, remember Adm Byrd was like Neil Armstrong to that era. He was a national hero. He still is in my lexicon. You should take that piece of Americana to Antiques Roadshow (one of my favorite TV shows). Well done Sir, well done. :clap:When I was a kid, my dad was in charge of the road dept here in town. Part of his job was to drive the trash truck 3 days a week. This gave him access to whatever treasures he saw sitting at the curb, including the Byrd clock.

w2amr
06-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Pix plseYes Adam, show us your junk!

KG4CGC
06-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Yes Adam, show us your junk!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/walnuts.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/sausage_vienna1.jpg

K7SGJ
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Took the family to Prescott yesterday. We ended up going junkin downtown fo awhile. Saw one of these for $40. Just couldn't get him to budge. Of course, as was brought to my attention, I don't need another effin radio.

NQ6U
06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Of course, as was brought to my attention, I don't need another effin radio.

You always need another effin radio. One cannot have too many effin radios.

NA4BH
06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
We have an auction locally every second Saturday. They are having an additional one this weekend. Check it out http://www.gilbertandco.com/ see anything you'd be interested in let me know and I'll bid for you. They also have some of the stuff online so you can bid (live). I've gotten some old tube AM radios and a couple of clocks. I was bidding on an old crank type Victrola that had the original wooden shipping crate, it got a bit rich for my blood.

w2amr
06-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Took the family to Prescott yesterday. We ended up going junkin downtown fo awhile. Saw one of these for $40. Just couldn't get him to budge. Of course, as was brought to my attention, I don't need another effin radio.

6221For $40 I might have sprung if it was in decent shape.

KG4CGC
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
For $40 I might have sprung if it was in decent shape.

I think those held up better over the years than did the 300 or the 302. I've tried to bid on a 302 over the past 4 years but $150 for an old radio that has a 50/50 chance of of suffering from the dreaded CPU failure or general abuse isn't worth it. What else I found to be very interesting about the DX-302 is the Wadley (sp)(???) filter and the bottom end of the frequency range, 10kHz.
In searching for something RS of that vintage, the DX-200 is a good compromise as the most it may need would be a simple alignment ... possible caps aside if it was in a humid region.

wa6mhz
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't have one of those. I'da bought it for $40!

KG4NEL
06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
You always need another effin radio. One cannot have too many effin radios.

Meh :quiet:

K7SGJ
06-27-2012, 03:12 PM
For $40 I might have sprung if it was in decent shape.

Actually, it was in excellent condition. The plastic dials had no damage, the lens had no scratches, and even the little plastic tabs that you use to slide the cross hair a little for calibration were there. They are what usually break off. Usually when I see stuff like that, it's all beat to hell. I figure I'll see if it's still there in a couple of weeks when we go back. Maybe he'll have something else, and I can do a little bundling.

w2amr
06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Actually, it was in excellent condition. The plastic dials had no damage, the lens had no scratches, and even the little plastic tabs that you use to slide the cross hair a little for calibration were there. They are what usually break off. Usually when I see stuff like that, it's all beat to hell. I figure I'll see if it's still there in a couple of weeks when we go back. Maybe he'll have something else, and I can do a little bundling. If it's in that kind of shape it might be gone.

w2amr
06-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Actually, it was in excellent condition. The plastic dials had no damage, the lens had no scratches, and even the little plastic tabs that you use to slide the cross hair a little for calibration were there. They are what usually break off. Usually when I see stuff like that, it's all beat to hell. I figure I'll see if it's still there in a couple of weeks when we go back. Maybe he'll have something else, and I can do a little bundling.I picked up one of these at an estate sale years ago. Put a new tube in it and the damn thing works.
http://www.stonevintageradio.com/description.php?II=758&UID=20120627133256

K7SGJ
06-27-2012, 03:55 PM
If it's in that kind of shape it might be gone.

I doubt it. I have it so well hidden, I may have trouble finding where I stuck it.

kf0rt
06-27-2012, 05:16 PM
I picked up one of these at an estate sale years ago. Put a new tube in it and the damn thing works.

Yikes. That thing looks like it really does run on magic smoke.

KG4CGC
06-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Yikes. That thing looks like it really does run on magic smoke.

$450! Yikes indeed! What was it? AMBCB/SW?

w2amr
06-28-2012, 03:52 AM
$450! Yikes indeed! What was it? AMBCB/SW?:mrgreen:Just a one tube regen BC receiver.

N7YA
06-28-2012, 04:30 AM
I picked up one of these at an estate sale years ago. Put a new tube in it and the damn thing works.

Thats a fun site to peruse, a little too rich for my blood, unfortunately.

w2amr
06-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Thats a fun site to peruse, a little too rich for my blood, unfortunately.Paying Retail is always a buzz kill.

w2amr
06-28-2012, 04:39 AM
At the estate sale where I got the little Crosley , I also picked up this gem.

N7YA
06-28-2012, 04:40 AM
Thats cool!

Damn, George! You are kicking serious ass in the clock game these days. :yes: