PDA

View Full Version : FLEA at MIT Sunday June 17th 2012

TESLA
06-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Come to the city for a great flea - plenty of free parking.

MIT's electronics and ham radio flea will take
place on the third Sunday of each month this summer,
April thru October.

There is tailgate space for over 600 sellers!

Buyers admission is $5 (you get $1 off if
you're lucky enough to have a copy of our ad)
and sellers spaces are $20 for the first and
$15 for each additional at the gate.

Early Bird Buyers admission is $15, allows
entry after the prepaid sellers ~ 7:15AM
See registration form for season rate.

The flea will be held at the corner of Albany and
Main streets in Cambridge; right in the Kendall
Square area from 9AM to 2PM, with sellers set-up
time starting at 7AM.

KC2UGV
06-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Does this forum post count as one of your ads? :D

TESLA
06-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Does a PSA count as an ad? I'm trying to get people to go, I'll be there, will you?
;0

KC2UGV
06-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Does a PSA count as an ad? I'm trying to get people to go, I'll be there, will you?
;0

Nah, Massachusetts is a bit of a drive :)

XE1/N5AL
06-16-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm 2,800 miles away, but I would definitely go if I were a little bit closer.

n6hcm
06-17-2012, 03:42 AM
i never went when i lived in boston and worked at mit. was probably a good idea not to go, as i had a teeny tiny apartment back then.

ab1ga
06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
i never went when i lived in boston and worked at mit. was probably a good idea not to go, as i had a teeny tiny apartment back then.

I never even heard about it until after I graduated, which was probably what kept me from going down in flames.

TESLA
06-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Great flea today, nice weather, lots of great deals!!!!!

n6hcm
06-18-2012, 03:30 AM
I never even heard about it until after I graduated, which was probably what kept me from going down in flames.

honestly? i'm amazed that anyone graduates from there. there's so much awesome stuff to do ...

KC2UGV
06-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Great flea today, nice weather, lots of great deals!!!!!

Pics? Of the flea or your loot?

ab1ga
06-18-2012, 02:21 PM
honestly? i'm amazed that anyone graduates from there. there's so much awesome stuff to do ...

In my day the MIT Mantra was called the Four Gets:

Get in,
Get through,
Get out,
Get a job!

It was torture, but if I could go back for another round, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and do it better this time.

wa6mhz
06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
So what did I miss? At the CHINO HILLS Swapmeet (same time) I scored a cable for a Motorola Mitrek, and 3 (possibly defunct) Micor audio boards. Also gotta VLF ARC 5 receiver for $10. Not much else there. I did see someone haul off a MultiElmac AF-68 missing the cabinet. And one clown had a nice Natl NC-300 but he wanted $225 for it.
Empty trunk!!! SO what did I miss at MIT? Only woulda been a 6800 mile roundtrip to go there!

ab1ga
06-18-2012, 03:42 PM
So what did I miss? At the CHINO HILLS Swapmeet (same time) I scored a cable for a Motorola Mitrek, and 3 (possibly defunct) Micor audio boards. Also gotta VLF ARC 5 receiver for $10. Not much else there. I did see someone haul off a MultiElmac AF-68 missing the cabinet. And one clown had a nice Natl NC-300 but he wanted $225 for it.
Empty trunk!!! SO what did I miss at MIT? Only woulda been a 6800 mile roundtrip to go there!

There are some very eccentric people at the flea.
I've heard of a dude whose display table is an old door with stacks of SX-88s as makeshift table legs.
At every flea, one of those rigs is dropped from the top of the Vassar Street garage strapped to a piano.
The trick is to not break the egg inside the SX-88.

But I could be mistaken.

n6hcm
06-20-2012, 01:51 AM

Get in,
Get through,
Get out,
Get a job!

It was torture, but if I could go back for another round, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and do it better this time.

at the time i was glad to only be staff--i got to mooch off the institute's good name on my resume :). the cool thing was that there were resources to be had to do cool things if you had a cool thing to do. you didn't even have to look too hard for this.

it's probably the best place in the country for truly intellectually-curious people to get their s.b.

n2ize
06-23-2012, 06:08 PM
M.I.T is awesome. Probably one of the best of it's kind in the world. I love MIT's Open Course-ware Offerings, video lectures, notes, recitations, course material, etc. On a few occasions I have consulted with MIT professors and have found them to be extremely knowledgeable, professional, and very helpful and without any attitudes. And why not ??MIT brings out the best.

W1GUH
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Get in,
Get through,
Get out,
Get a job!

Back in the day when drinking was a part of everyday life and the Institute encouraged drinking it was better. In those days there were no rules at all. Living groups were run completely autonomously and the very first thing that happened to incoming freshman (if the wanted to) was rush week. I moved directly into a fraternity and never had to deal with the dorms. If you were having a party, you hired an MIT cop to protect you from the Boston and Cambridge cops. Literally true.

But that was then. Now...that student freedom is a thing of the dim, dark past. Somewhere along the way the 'tute lost something it used to have - the ability to call its own shots. Different time, different place. Now, ALL freshmen are required to live in a dorm and they did very little to help the fraternities out with how that cut into their income.

One of the most growth-inducing aspects of going to school there was that freedom. Sadly, that is no more, AFAIK. Of course there's still drinking (probably lots), but it's not totally out in the open, even at school events like it was.

The good news is that it sounds like the academic standards haven't suffered at all. I had the good fortune to drink with a coujple of recent alumni a while back and hearing them talk made me believe that it's still the BITCH of a place to get out of. No wonder our mantra in the 60's was, "We gotta get outta this place." Not to mention IHTFP. (The Institute Has The Finest Professors)

Back to tha hamfests there -- 'ga forgot to mention that it's in a parking garage, so it's covered. No wx worries about that!

W1GUH
07-25-2012, 08:22 PM
M.I.T is awesome. Probably one of the best of it's kind in the world. I love MIT's Open Course-ware Offerings, video lectures, notes, recitations, course material, etc. On a few occasions I have consulted with MIT professors and have found them to be extremely knowledgeable, professional, and very helpful and without any attitudes. And why not ??MIT brings out the best.

You've touched on something there that I LOVED and still love about that place. It's "without any attitudes." There aren't any there* and it's the most democratic institution I've been a part of. You couldn't get admitted just because your mommy and daddy are rich and/or powerful -- nobody is given any slack at all wrt academic standards. I suppose that offspring of alumni get a break (don't really know) but only after it's been determined that they pass all the requirements for admissions. And, once admitted, it's easy to stay in. If you're struggling with your course work, the Institute will provide all the extra help a student may need. The school accepts a significant responsibility in enabling one to graduate. And, of course, those 3 letters on a resume work wonders.

*Well, in the administration and faculty. The undergrad student body is another story altogether.

n6hcm
07-29-2012, 06:05 AM
And, of course, those 3 letters on a resume work wonders.

true even if you only worked there ... i'm reworking my resume and i'm looking to keep my MIT experience on my resume even though it was in the late 1980's-early 1990's.

W1GUH
07-29-2012, 01:36 PM
true even if you only worked there ... i'm reworking my resume and i'm looking to keep my MIT experience on my resume even though it was in the late 1980's-early 1990's.

Did you take any courses as a "special student?" Back in the day, that was an awesome benefit of working there - tuition was free. Some even used good performance as a special student to get admitted to the graduate school.

K7SGJ
07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I wonder how much mileage I would get on a resume by putting dow that I went to a hamfeast at M.I.T.