PDA

View Full Version : CO's amateur radio operators fill-in wildfire radio gaps...

W4GPL
06-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Since Saturday, he has been managing operators staffing eight-hour shifts around the clock. They're doing such things as setting up portable radio repeaters and relaying messages between the fire lines and command posts. About 40 operators have volunteered.

A 5:15 a.m. phone call Sunday asked amateur radio operator Randy Long to find more volunteers to aid communication in the High Park fire zone — and warned him to evacuate his home.

Long, an Amateur Radio Emergency Service coordinator for Larimer and Weld counties, fled his house southeast of Buckhorn Mountain and started rallying more licensed ham operators to work the fire.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20852619/colorados-amateur-radio-operators-fill-wildfire-coverage-gaps
(http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20852619/colorados-amateur-radio-operators-fill-wildfire-coverage-gaps)
And at least they're modest: "We're kind of the unsung heroes," said Robert Wareham, Colorado section emergency coordinator. :lol:

N8YX
06-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Up until that last sentence, all notions of "jump teams" were absent from my mind.

KC2UGV
06-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Ugh...

Good on them for helping in a time of need, but geebus man. If you aren't out there huffing smoke through a breather mask, you aren't a "hero".

ki4itv
06-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Almost. Almost made it through to the end without....awww geeez.

W3WN
06-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Aw, nuts. A flourescent green ARES hat and vest, and an attempt to look 'cool' in those shades. Looks like a whacker.

(At least the hat and jacket appear 'clean' -- as in recently laundered, unlike some of the local whackers I could name)

KC9ECI
06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Ugh...

Good on them for helping in a time of need, but geebus man. If you aren't out there huffing smoke through a breather mask, you aren't a "hero".

Don't bet on it. One of my heroes was a little old white haired lady that came up to me one night with a cup of coffee so thin you could see the bottom of the cup through it. I don't think I've had a better cup of coffee or a more well timed cup of coffee. It was so cold that my boots literally froze to the ground if I stopped moving for more than a few seconds. Heroes are everywhere.

kf0rt
06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Don't bet on it. One of my heroes was a little old white haired lady that came up to me one night with a cup of coffee so thin you could see the bottom of the cup through it. I don't think I've had a better cup of coffee or a more well timed cup of coffee. It was so cold that my boots literally froze to the ground if I stopped moving for more than a few seconds. Heroes are everywhere.

I like the way you think, Tom. ;)