PDA

View Full Version : New Law making Ebay Illegal ??

n2ize
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I just received a telephone message from a friend who was tellimg me about a supposed new law they want to pass that would make it illegal to re-sell items made in foreign countries. As usual I have some doubts and reservations. I suspect there may be some new bill or proposal but it may be being vastly misinterpreted by otherwise well meaning folks on the Interrnets. He claims the law would do away with sites like ebay and/or even local yard sales. Guess it would make it illegal to buy and sell most modern day ham radios.

Anyone heard of anything like this lately ? He didn;t give me a bill # or anything and I haven't heard of any such thing.

wa6mhz
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Since almost ALL of the Ham gear is made in Japan and China, and certainly all the computer parts are, that would make reselling ANYTHING but TenTec and Elecraft ILLEGAL!!! OH, MFJ too. Wonder if MFJ is lobbying for this legislation? It would ALSO make virtually ALL Hamfest sales illegal too! Let them just TRY!!!! Atleast Heathkits, Drakes, Nationals and Hallicrafters will still be LEGAL!!

XE1/N5AL
06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Maybe he was referring to an upcoming Supreme Court review of the "First-Sale" copyright doctrine and it's broader-reaching implications: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/04/scotus-first-sale-revisted/

KG4CGC
06-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Didn't they try this in Mississippi and Louisiana already?

N7YA
06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Its just a gateway law to see how far they can push it. Perhaps making it to the White House, then they can finally run that Commie Kenyan terrorist out of the White(mans) House.

n2ize
06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe he was referring to an upcoming Supreme Court review of the "First-Sale" copyright doctrine and it's broader-reaching implications: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/04/scotus-first-sale-revisted/

My guess is that this is probably what he is talking about. However, he probably got his info from one of those conspiracy theorist gossip sites that tend to stretch the truth. They are mistakenly interpreting it to mean that there is anew law thar forbids anyone to resell anything that was ever made outside the USA.. Meanwhile I'll drop him a call later and find out exactly.

W3WN
06-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Since almost ALL of the Ham gear is made in Japan and China, and certainly all the computer parts are, that would make reselling ANYTHING but TenTec and Elecraft ILLEGAL!!! OH, MFJ too. Wonder if MFJ is lobbying for this legislation? It would ALSO make virtually ALL Hamfest sales illegal too! Let them just TRY!!!! At least Heathkits, Drakes, Nationals and Hallicrafters will still be LEGAL!!And Flex.

But I have a hunch that there's some mis-interpretation that went on, somewhere before 'IZE's friend called him.

N8YX
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
We'll all be radio outlaws in the end.

No excuses.

n2ize
06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Actually the first sale doctrine needs to be put to the test. Technically if not upheld can be considered illegal to resell foreign made items that contain a copyright without the holders permission. A lower court actually denied the doctrine with regards to Costco's sales of Omega watches. So in a way it is possible for it to be considered a violation to resell a radio l that was made in China without permission from the copyright holders. However, it is unlikely they will be shutting down hamfestsd and forbidding radios to be sold on ebay anytime soon. Nonetheless, the worries of my friend do have some merit.

KG4CGC
06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Actually the first sale doctrine needs to be put to the test. Technically if not upheld can be considered illegal to resell foreign made items that contain a copyright without the holders permission. A lower court actually denied the doctrine with regards to Costco's sales of Omega watches. So in a way it is possible for it to be considered a violation to resell a radio l that was made in China without permission from the copyright holders. However, it is unlikely they will be shutting down hamfestsd and forbidding radios to be sold on ebay anytime soon. Nonetheless, the worries of my friend do have some merit.

If they can confiscate Gibson guitars at concerts .....

K7SGJ
06-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Finally, the solution to get this country out of this financial crisis, and back into productivity. More jobs, more prosperity, a new world order. Boy, those legislators really have their fingers on the pulse of the nation. Bless them, bless them one and all. The Bastids

NY3V
06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Just what the lawyers cooked up to lobby Congress to pass so they can get more Fat fees, just like Abramoff did with the Indian Tribes.