PDA

View Full Version : I think I found the smart phone I want....(OUCH!)

W1GUH
06-12-2012, 09:27 PM
The Asus Padfone (http://www.asus.com/Mobile/)

Don't know anymore than what you see in the pictures when you open that page. Don't think I really need to know anything more. It's pricey now (I saw the figure $859 for the phone plus the tablet dock), but considering it's brandy-new, cutting edge, and Asus' very aggresive pricing, I fully expect that to come down.

Or...might Asus have an app up it's sleeve that lets you do the same with the phone plus a tablet (like my Transformer)?

That's probably a phone for which I'll gladly get a contract for if the price is right. No...I don't work for Asus! But the wheels are turning about looking for work there.

KC2UGV
06-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I've been waiting on this one for a while. Can't wait!

K7SGJ
06-13-2012, 11:19 AM
The more of this I see, confirms my suspicions that payphones at convenience stores are on the way out; and I have a boatload of quarters just for that purpose. What a Pisser. I'm going to miss them, a lot.

W1GUH
06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Rarer and rarer here, too. In fact, I was up in Boston yesterday and walking through Chinatown (all one block of it), and the Asian styled phone booths were all gone. Pity -- lent so much character to the area.

And of course, we're all deprived of the thrill of achieving dial tone by paying for it and risking disease when we could use our own phones for free and be safe!

W1GUH
06-13-2012, 11:31 AM
One noet about that link....is that a Windows screen they show? I've lost track of what's windows and what's Android.

Maybe, given what I reported about google's aggressiveness, I'd be happy to dump Android for Windows? MS was NEVER as bad as google in this department.

KB3LAZ
06-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Rarer and rarer here, too. In fact, I was up in Boston yesterday and walking through Chinatown (all one block of it), and the Asian styled phone booths were all gone. Pity -- lent so much character to the area.

And of course, we're all deprived of the thrill of achieving dial tone by paying for it and risking disease when we could use our own phones for free and be safe!

Our own phones are far from free. Also, we can get disease when we go to a restaurant. The risk of life. xD

KG4CGC
06-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Pay phones have been a dollar here for a long time but if you use a pay phone you become suspect of dealing drugs.

W1GUH
06-13-2012, 12:31 PM
And sometimes you just can't achieve dial tone no matter how you put your finger in the operator's hole and dial it.

KG4CGC
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
And sometimes you just can't achieve dial tone no matter how you put your finger in the operator's hole and dial it.

I know quite a few people like that.

n2ize
06-13-2012, 07:50 PM
The Asus Padfone (http://www.asus.com/Mobile/)

Don't know anymore than what you see in the pictures when you open that page. Don't think I really need to know anything more. It's pricey now (I saw the figure $859 for the phone plus the tablet dock), but considering it's brandy-new, cutting edge, and Asus' very aggresive pricing, I fully expect that to come down.

Or...might Asus have an app up it's sleeve that lets you do the same with the phone plus a tablet (like my Transformer)?

That's probably a phone for which I'll gladly get a contract for if the price is right. No...I don't work for Asus! But the wheels are turning about looking for work there.

Hey man, I thought you were a hippie. What is with all these "dark side" establishment run mobile devices and contracts from the establishment ? We've gotta resist the establishment stuff and build our own devices and set up a free peoples network. It's got to be long haired , barefoot and down to earth !! :lol:

n2ize
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Well, I hope you at least pick a good looking operator !!! :-D

TESLA
06-13-2012, 08:19 PM
I want the new Galaxy Note!

http://www5.pcmag.com/media/images/279616-samsung-galaxy-note-for-at-t.jpg

n6hcm
06-17-2012, 03:59 AM
i have one and i love it! it's the escalade of mobile phones but i don't care.

W1GUH
07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Why can't they put a smart phone in a package that flips closed? Do people actually like having their screens unprotected? Guess butt-dialing has been dealt with by using a lock feature -- but what about butt-answering? The way I stuff my phone in my pocket, the screen'd be one big scartch, at least, in no time. Besides, a flip-phone is so seductively like a communicator! (No...not like that so-called "great communicator", but the one the Kirk and Spock and all them used.)

Oh, wait, I get it. "They" make big money replacing screens. Question answered!

OTOH, my 5 year old RAZR still has a pristine screen.

W1GUH
07-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey man, I thought you were a hippie. What is with all these "dark side" establishment run mobile devices and contracts from the establishment ? We've gotta resist the establishment stuff and build our own devices and set up a free peoples network. It's got to be long haired , barefoot and down to earth !! :lol:

Well, the Transformer is linux-based with Android (Neglecting, of course, the "dark side" nature of Google. And it does Wi-Fi, not 4G or whatever that expensive data thingie is these days. OTOH, AFAIK, the GPS function downloads the maps, so if you're not in a Wi-Fi spot, GPS is pretty much useless. Sigh.

KB3LAZ
07-27-2012, 06:31 AM

o0 I would not carry that thing, it may throw my back out!

n6hcm
07-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Why can't they put a smart phone in a package that flips closed?

the samsung galaxy note has a "case" which does exactly this: it replaces the back cover with a back cover hinged into a front cover.

most people use screen protectors on their smart phones. i kinda hate them--they never apply correctly, and they feel funny.

K7SGJ
07-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Here's my choice.

KG4CGC
07-29-2012, 09:58 AM
As to the ASUS, I have an Atrix that can connect to a specific laptop designed for it and was the brains of the unit. That laptop, sans phone was $500. I can pick one up now for about $79. I don't know how good a laptop it is. I would need it to do photoshop and movie editing.