PDA

View Full Version : Who's Doing FD?

KG4CGC
06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Field Day is always the fourth full weekend of June, beginning at 1800 UTC Saturday and running through 2059 UTC Sunday. Field Day 2012 will be held June 23-24, 2012.
That's from the ARRL website.

I'd like to get out and sling some wire in the air but I'm not sure what will happen on my end.

Who's going to get out and do Field Day?

N8YX
06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
I can't get out to a remote location (logistics and all) but I'm going to put a tent up in our back yard and run either the Omni VI/253 or an IC-751A/AH-2 combo into a temporarily erected wire. Might run the station on battery power too.

KG4CGC
06-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Might park the truck out back and run off the battery while it's running. Is that considered mobile?
What are and how are the prefixes or designators used? I've asked before but the last field day I attended was 2009.

KC2UGV
06-12-2012, 02:12 PM
I might. Will have to dig stuff out, but I may be able to swing it (Even though I say that every year, Saturdays fill up fast).

NQ6U
06-12-2012, 02:37 PM
I'll be with my club up on the eastern edge of the Cuyamaca Mountains, elevation 6000 ft. Really looking forward to it, had a great time last year.

N8YX
06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Might park the truck out back and run off the battery while it's running. Is that considered mobile?
What are and how are the prefixes or designators used? I've asked before but the last field day I attended was 2009.
1A is portable; 1B is battery portable. I think mobile operation falls under class A but you might want to check the ARRL's site just to make sure.

And by the way...In Before Still More Contest Whining.

X-Rated
06-12-2012, 02:56 PM
... I think mobile operation falls under class A but you might want to check the ARRL's site just to make sure.

And by the way...In Before Still More Contest Whining.

"C" Señor.

KG4CGC
06-12-2012, 03:06 PM
I'd be happy operating from the shelter beside the lake that has 120VAC piped right in.

KC9ECI
06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm out this year due to family obligations.

X-Rated
06-12-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm out this year due to family obligations.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/10/8/1254999539142/Marlon-Brando-in-The-Godf-001.jpg

Never ever forget family obligations.

W4GPL
06-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm joining a few guys who are setting up in a local park. They're not club affiliated, just a group of like minded pot heads & alcoholics. :shhh:

KJ3N
06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
..... just a group of like minded pot heads & alcoholics. :shhh:

I like them already. ;)

KC9ECI
06-12-2012, 05:13 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/10/8/1254999539142/Marlon-Brando-in-The-Godf-001.jpg

Never ever forget family obligations.

I just hope they don't want me to blow up another car. I burned my lips on the exhaust pipe the last time.

X-Rated
06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
I just hope they don't want me to blow up another car. I burned my lips on the exhaust pipe the last time.

That had to hurt.

KG4NEL
06-12-2012, 08:13 PM
That's from the ARRL website.

I'd like to get out and sling some wire in the air but I'm not sure what will happen on my end.

Who's going to get out and do Field Day?

I'll be on 40 and 15 meters phone, W4UNC. We'll have stations on from 80 to 6, all QRP...

After years of dipoles, going to tempt fate this year and try a full-size wire beam on 40 - he who dares, wins? Or ends up putting up the dipole again...

:-D

W3WN
06-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I'll be on the late evening/overnight shift at N3SH, 4A WPA.

You may also find me on my own early Sunday morning (after I return home); I usually do a few Q's just for fun before I wear out.

NQ6U
06-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Forgot to mention that my club call will be K6SEE. I'll be working PSK-31 on 20m.

rot
06-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Hell..I might even do a minimal 897/Frontporch/WireIntree/25WPhone/GetoffmyLawn/BarkinDog/PaperLoggin/TakeaNap/StayupLate type of GOTA station.
It's been a while.
w4rotFM06FDhoot,NC
rot

N7YA
06-13-2012, 06:40 AM
I may jump in for a bit, look to fill out my WAS spread sheet a bit. Ill be signing 1D NV.

suddenseer
06-13-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm joining a few guys who are setting up in a local park. They're not club affiliated, just a group of like minded pot heads & alcoholics. :shhh:My kind of people.

suddenseer
06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
W8OG 1A Oh.

N7YA
06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
A oh? A-A-A-oh?

....daylight come and me wanna go home.

wa6mhz
06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
For about the 40th time in 40something years, I will be with the Amateur Radio Club of El Cajon WA6BGS, this time at Santee Lakes. Not a particularly good radio location, but it will do for HF. Should suck for VHF. I will have my Hallicrafters SR-400 Cyclone all fired up and working the country with probably a 3 element Tribander up oh maybe 40 feet. They have these Military portable towers. If they need it, I will also supply a Swan 250C for 6M, an Icom IC-745 and a Kenwood TS-830S for more HF.

I don't last the whole 24 hours. I go home at sunset after a long day of working stations and let the NIGHT CREW take over. Hopefully they won't blow up my Hallicrafters. They tried to last year, but the rig held in there. Today's new Hams have no idea about "TUNING UP" a rig. They wanna just SQUEEZE THE PICKLE and talk. So I hafta hope Sunday morning I will come back and find it still working. Then I will run Sunday until 11AM and that will be it. Take my radios home and park them till NEXT year. Fortunately, they are doing it in a Parking lot instead of a FIELD so we won't get to DUSTY. Might be kinda hot, so I hafta hope for some marine layer before getting ROASTED in the afternoon. NO AC on Field Day!!!!

suddenseer
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Oh Pat, us young guys do get the 'plate', and 'load' knobs. Opps, I said "knobs". Sounds like a good station. I always bring my 6M rig, and ringo. For some reason, the magic band is totally dead the days surrounding FD, and I usually log 500 contacts on the event. Our FD is in the middle of a farm field, we rent a portapotty, I get very stoned in the evening. I turned on the old geezers in my club to hashish last year. They all loved it, it was the first time most have these guys have been stoned.

ki4itv
06-13-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm joining a few guys who are setting up in a local park. They're not club affiliated, just a group of like minded pot heads & alcoholics. :shhh:

I like them already. ;)

My kind of people.

Yea, so when do we meet our new friends? :)

w2amr
06-14-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll be with my club up on the eastern edge of the Cuyamaca Mountains, elevation 6000 ft. Hope you get to hit something big.

kf0rt
06-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Which park? :whistle:

I'm actually thinking of doing fixed station/battery from home. Done that before, but both of my batteries are shot and will need to be replaced AND charged. One car battery, one marine. Last used in 2007 (yeah, they're shot).

Weekend time here is all FU lately, so might not even get the chance.

But just in case, just received an SM-30 microphone from Universal for the 7K. Almost forgot about that.

w0aew
06-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I'll set up in my back yard with a battery and a portable antenna. Is that 1B or do I sign 1E?

KJ3N
06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I'll set up in my back yard with a battery and a portable antenna. Is that 1B or do I sign 1E?

1B, AFAIK.

W3WN
06-21-2012, 09:12 AM
I'll set up in my back yard with a battery and a portable antenna. Is that 1B or do I sign 1E?1B.

Reason: You're not operating your home station, as it sits on the shelf or table or bench, with your regular antennas, from emergency power. You're setting up a transceiver in the yard, running off a battery, and running off an antenna you're putting up specifically for the purpose.

In short, 1E would be a 'normal' station on emergency power; 1B would be a portable station, 1 individual operating.

You'll be 1B

wa6mhz
06-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Oh Pat, us young guys do get the 'plate', and 'load' knobs. Opps, I said "knobs". Sounds like a good station. I always bring my 6M rig, and ringo. For some reason, the magic band is totally dead the days surrounding FD, and I usually log 500 contacts on the event. Our FD is in the middle of a farm field, we rent a portapotty, I get very stoned in the evening. I turned on the old geezers in my club to hashish last year. They all loved it, it was the first time most have these guys have been stoned.
WISH I was visiting YOUR Field Day!!! I haven't had a PUFF in probably 20 or 30 years! I FORGET what it was like, just remember I sure liked it!

KJ3N
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
You're setting up a transceiver in the yard, running off a battery, and running off an antenna you're putting up specifically for the purpose.

I did this back in 2005. Setup consisted of an IC-703, AH-4, camera tripod, four radials each 40 feet log, an MO-2 Hustler fold-over mast, double female 3/8-24 coupler, and an MFJ 12 foot telescoping antenna. Wasn't much for "local" comms, but I made it out to the West Coast with 10 watts SSB.

N8YX
06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
That's pretty neat, and is reminiscent of the setup we used at my in-laws' place a number of times. Never did get to try out the big honkin' tree-supported, top-loaded wire vertical idea I had before father-in-law passed away and the place was sold.

W3WN
06-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Very nice.

One of the guys in the WACOM club did an article on a similar setup for 20 meters. Main support for the antenna was a fishing pole. Worked quite well, as I recall. I'll have to see if I can dig it out of the archives.

NY3V
06-21-2012, 04:52 PM
I volunteered to help set-up and operate the Charleston Amateur Radio Club ( WA4USN ) stations on the USS Yorktown (CV10) Museum near my QTH this weekend.

Say, has anyone operated 160 meters during Field Day?

According to the ARRL rules, it is allowed. I just never heard of any club doing so.

http://www.wa4usn.org/

http://www.patriotspoint.org/

N8YX
06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
According to the ARRL rules, it is allowed. I just never heard of any club doing so.

W8RCC - B&W ARC. The shack was located in a trailer sited next to a 90ft tall, steel-skinned building. A TH6 was installed atop a 60ft tower on its roof and multiple 160-80-40M slopers - all switch-selectable for direction - had their high ends tied off at the top of the tower.

With the building's skin acting as a reflector, we owned the low bands - even without an amp. Operated 160M during FD a number of times from there.

KJ3N
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Say, has anyone operated 160 meters during Field Day?

I'm game if you are.

Phone, of course. ;)

NY3V
06-21-2012, 05:28 PM
W8RCC - B&W ARC. The shack was located in a trailer sited next to a 90ft tall, steel-skinned building. A TH6 was installed atop a 60ft tower on its roof and multiple 160-80-40M slopers - all switch-selectable for direction - had their high ends tied off at the top of the tower.

With the building's skin acting as a reflector, we owned the low bands - even without an amp. Operated 160M during FD a number of times from there.

That sounds Kool!
Too bad most of the original radio equipment was removed from the ships here long ago.

I can't remember the Navy designation on the old WRT1 type 500 watt xmtr I repaired while on
the USS Cony (DD508) in 1966. That would be great to use for FD.

No, on second thought, it would be a bear to provide the needed 400 cycle 3-phase juice from a battery generator. HiHi

KC2UGV
06-21-2012, 06:30 PM
No, on second thought, it would be a bear to provide the needed 400 cycle 3-phase juice from a battery generator. HiHi

Just find an old Aircraft Maintenance ground hog. They have a 400 Hz, 120V, 3-phase household outlet.

K8LET
06-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Not sure what I'm doing exactly, probably throw up the J-Pole in a tree at my parent's campsite Saturday afternoon and see what's cooking on 2m, then swing by the local club's site sometime (later) Saturday evening. Sunday is "Clean the Garage" day... >.>

Oh, and hi all. Was looking for a good, active ham forum and stumbled on this one.. seems nice.. thinkin' I'll hang out for a bit.

NQ6U
06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Welcome, Michael! The barkeep will be along shortly; have him pour you the drink of your choice and put it on my tab. And go for the top-shelf stuff because I never pay it anyhow. Last time I checked it was about equal to the GNP of Uruguay.

KG4CGC
06-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Not sure what I'm doing exactly, probably throw up the J-Pole in a tree at my parent's campsite Saturday afternoon and see what's cooking on 2m, then swing by the local club's site sometime (later) Saturday evening. Sunday is "Clean the Garage" day... >.>

Oh, and hi all. Was looking for a good, active ham forum and stumbled on this one.. seems nice.. thinkin' I'll hang out for a bit.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/636685dd.jpg
WTTI!

N8YX
06-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Welcome! You're in Eastlake; not too far from me. I'm currently in shack renovation mode, my co-pilot/logger has to work and I don't know how much time I'll actually get to spend working the event. Maybe Saturday night if I can get a steady supply of booze to the ops...

K8LET
06-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Welcome! You're in Eastlake; not too far from me. I'm currently in shack renovation mode, my co-pilot/logger has to work and I don't know how much time I'll actually get to spend working the event. Maybe Saturday night if I can get a steady supply of booze to the ops...

*sipping on the cold drink he was offered*

Yep! Not too far at all, in fact my parent's live in Wadsworth, so I'm down that way quite a bit. Working on getting Dad his license next.

Thanks for the welcome all!

N7YA
06-22-2012, 05:06 AM
I was driving to work tonight, and a truck passed me going the other way covered in antennas...complete with a full sized tribander!

Im guessing he is doing FD.

w2amr
06-22-2012, 05:13 AM
1B.

Reason: You're not operating your home station, as it sits on the shelf or table or bench, with your regular antennas, from emergency power. You're setting up a transceiver in the yard, running off a battery, and running off an antenna you're putting up specifically for the purpose.

In short, 1E would be a 'normal' station on emergency power; 1B would be a portable station, 1 individual operating.

You'll be 1B
What is normal station on normal power be?
Think I'll jump in and give some points

KJ3N
06-22-2012, 05:16 AM
What is normal station on normal power be?
Think I'll jump in and give some points

Operating from home on AC mains is 1D.

N7YA
06-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Ill be jumping on from the home station, 1D NV. But eventually i will do some mountain topping or mobile stuff during FD. Its fun.

w2amr
06-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Operating from home on AC mains is 1D.TNX

N8YX
06-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Bear in mind that D-class stations cannot work other D-class stations for points...the contact counts as zero. Every other class can work a D for points, though.

N7YA
06-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Truth be told, im working them for band states.

ki4itv
06-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Bear in mind that D-class stations cannot work other D-class stations for points...the contact counts as zero. Every other class can work a D for points, though.

Didn't know that??
Never did Field day from home before...

KJ3N
06-22-2012, 07:05 AM
If the solar numbers stay where they are right now, FD could be a bust on any band above 20m.

SFI:98 A:3 K:1

N8YX
06-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Didn't know that??
You can work 'em, but the contact doesn't count. Thus, most D-class ops won't respond to calls from such. Something to keep in mind if you think you're not being heard by one.

N8YX
06-22-2012, 07:09 AM
If the solar numbers stay where they are right now, FD could be a bust on any band above 20m.

This means the contestersField Day participants will cluster around 14.300, correct?

WØTKX
06-22-2012, 07:13 AM
I'm so ridiculously busy it was hard to get a reservation, but yesterday it came through. I'll be at Golden Gate State Park, at the Reverends Ridge Campsite. Permission was granted to use the tennis ball cannon for antenna launching. :clap:

Plan is to use the (Inrad filtered) FT-857, and I may bring the Corsair along to tinker with. All band 135' doublet with a tuner, and a short push up mast mast for the YP-1 Superantenna. Battery power, with two systems. DC for the radios, new pure sine inverter for the laptop and other goodies, like decent music.

Have had zero time to get things setup much, so I'll be spending time doing wiring and stuff before I can get on the air. Causual, gonna do some mountain bike riding and fishing as well as radio. Oh, and I need a nap. Or six. ;)

KJ3N
06-22-2012, 07:17 AM
This means the contesters Field Day participants will cluster around 14.300, correct?

One can only hope. :twisted:

W3WN
06-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Welcome! You're in Eastlake; not too far from me. I'm currently in shack renovation mode, my co-pilot/logger has to work and I don't know how much time I'll actually get to spend working the event. Maybe Saturday night if I can get a steady supply of booze to the ops...Fred, I know you're not close enough for the trip to be worth it, but you still have a standing invitation to join N3SH in South Park.

And that goes for everyone. Even Burt.

...sorry though, no steaks for dinner. Deadline was last night, Carol's buying them today. Have to settle for burgers, hot dogs, and chicken. And maybe some kielbassa...

W3WN
06-22-2012, 07:26 AM
This means the contestersField Day participants will cluster around 14.300, correct?You are a troublemaker, aren't you?

NY3V
06-22-2012, 07:30 AM
...Oh, and hi all. Was looking for a good, active ham forum and stumbled on this one.. seems nice.. thinkin' I'll hang out for a bit.

Welcome. Enjoy the fauna & flora while our bartender serves you.

N8YX
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
You are a troublemaker, aren't you?
No, I'm a Ten-Tec repairman. Pix of the relay buffer board I've been working on are forthcoming; seems one needs to physically disconnect the newly incorporated power divider when using a secondary receiver.

And an FYI: Should you ever use the Aux RX Ant connection on your Omni VI, put a scope on it and see what's present when you transmit on 15M and up. You may not like what you find.

WØTKX
06-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Oh, that's weird. I've only used the RX antenna on my old Omni's tho... that worked very well.

W3WN
06-22-2012, 07:58 AM
No, I'm a Ten-Tec repairman. Pix of the relay buffer board I've been working on are forthcoming; seems one needs to physically disconnect the newly incorporated power divider when using a secondary receiver.

And an FYI: Should you ever use the Aux RX Ant connection on your Omni VI, put a scope on it and see what's present when you transmit on 15M and up. You may not like what you find.Oh? That's very odd. I've never heard of that before.

Speaking of TT Repair, interested in a 2591 that may have a fried processor? With a parts-rig to go with it?

N8YX
06-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Oh, that's weird. I've only used the RX antenna on my old Omni's tho... that worked very well.
That it does...but the signals from the RX Filter and TX Filter boards don't appear to be completely suppressed at the Aux Ant connector during transmit - even on an unmodified rig. I'm going to do some more testing this evening then incorporate the board I designed and see if this addresses the issue.

N8YX
06-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Speaking of TT Repair, interested in a 2591 that may have a fried processor? With a parts-rig to go with it?
Conversely, are you interested in a working but slightly worn pair of DJ580s along with all accessories?

NQ6U
06-22-2012, 08:42 AM
I was driving to work tonight, and a truck passed me going the other way covered in antennas...complete with a full sized tribander!

Im guessing he is doing FD.

Either that or he's trying to stay in touch with the Mother Ship.

KJ3N
06-22-2012, 08:47 AM

http://i.qkme.me/35o3vr.jpg

kf0rt
06-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Didn't know that??

1D <-> 1D in Field Day is the "thanks for nuthin" contact.
Much better to switch over to batteries if you can -- then you can work anyone for points.

KJ3N
06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
1D <-> 1D in Field Day is the "thanks for nuthin" contact.
Much better to switch over to batteries if you can -- then you can work anyone for points.

Or gas up the generator. 1E should be good for all contacts.

W3WN
06-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Conversely, are you interested in a working but slightly worn pair of DJ580s along with all accessories?Well, my IC-W32A still works quite well, and I have plenty of batteries for it. I got the 2591 more for the sake of nostalgia (I always wanted one) and acquired the other two along the way. (And I have too many projects sitting on the bench as it is)

I'm not quite sure what I'd do with the DJ580s.

w2amr
06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
You can work 'em, but the contact doesn't count. Thus, most D-class ops won't respond to calls from such. Something to keep in mind if you think you're not being heard by one.
Got it tnx

N7YA
06-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Nah, we all know that real aliens hang out on 2 meters. ;)

wa6mhz
06-22-2012, 05:32 PM
The REST of the club is all out today in the hot sun putting up FD antennas, while I am here in cold AIR CONDTIONING at work.

Sucks having to work!

KG4CGC
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
The REST of the club is all out today in the hot sun putting up FD antennas, while I am here in cold AIR CONDTIONING at work.

Sucks having to work!

No worries, Pat. They'll have you on point in short order tomorrow. BTW, if you have a cooler you don't mind gutting and a 12VDC fan and a power supply and don't mind spending on a little frozen water, or freeze some jugs tonight ... Put 2 holes in the lid of the cooler. Make one hole big enough to accommodate the fan. Mount the fan to blow in. The other hole is exhaust and a bent pipe mounted on it pointing towards you is cool. Put ice or frozen jug inside cooler. Place in front of your operating position under table. Turn on. Enjoy.
You could pipe the air to your face if you wanted to.

N7YA
06-22-2012, 06:07 PM

Someone say Field Day??

N8YX
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM

Someone say Field Day??
I'm not quite there yet vis boat anchors but my solid-state stuff could give that ensemble a good run for its money! :lol:

kf0rt
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM

Someone say Field Day??

Looks like it might fit in a double-wide. Hell yeah!

N7YA
06-22-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm not quite there yet vis boat anchors but my solid-state stuff could give that ensemble a good run for its money! :lol:

Wait a minute, this isnt your secondary shack??

ki4itv
06-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Someone say Field Day??
That's serious business.
Step 1: plug in headphones
Step 2: lube club provided urinary catheter
Step 3: ...tune to 14.298
Step 4: start calling

N8YX
06-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Wait a minute, this isnt your secondary shack??

I've got three shelves downstairs, plus two dutch closets upstairs full of gear. And no room to set most of it up though we're working towards that. Even so, I'm going to sell off a number of duplicates and things which don't quite fit into the shack scheme.

Both TS-940S fit that description: Wonderful radios but 110/220v only - whereas the Paragon, Omni and the Hercules II amps can be run from a 12V source. My goal is to get the entire shack (save a couple pieces of test gear) on a big battery array in the future.

KG4CGC
06-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Looks like it might fit in a double-wide. Hell yeah!

Have you seen the whole room? Look up his call on his QRZ page. 3 more rows at least not including the 2 shorter walls.
What is his callsign anyway?

kf0rt
06-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Have you seen the whole room? Look up his call on his QRZ page. 3 more rows at least not including the 2 shorter walls.
What is his callsign anyway?

What's his call? At first, I thought it was the Drake guy, but there's way too much non-Drake stuff in the pic.

kf0rt
06-22-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm so ridiculously busy it was hard to get a reservation, but yesterday it came through. I'll be at Golden Gate State Park, at the Reverends Ridge Campsite. Permission was granted to use the tennis ball cannon for antenna launching. :clap:

Plan is to use the (Inrad filtered) FT-857, and I may bring the Corsair along to tinker with. All band 135' doublet with a tuner, and a short push up mast mast for the YP-1 Superantenna. Battery power, with two systems. DC for the radios, new pure sine inverter for the laptop and other goodies, like decent music.

Have had zero time to get things setup much, so I'll be spending time doing wiring and stuff before I can get on the air. Causual, gonna do some mountain bike riding and fishing as well as radio. Oh, and I need a nap. Or six. ;)

Way cool, Dave. Zero time here, too, but I've got two new car batteries, fully charged.

Would love to make it up to Rev' Ridge, but it's always iffy. How early you gettin' up on Sunday?

KJ3N
06-22-2012, 08:53 PM

It's only getting worse. :(

SFI:88 A:5 K:1

I think 10m and 15m are going to be very quiet tomorrow.

N8YX
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
It's only getting worse. :(

SFI:88 A:5 K:1

I think 10m and 15m are going to be very quiet tomorrow.
The 'Bowl is rolling pretty decently here at the moment - maybe some sporadic E will allow 10M to be marginally useful.

One P-II fully converted with the T/R sequencer addition; the other on the bench waiting for the RTV which holds its sequencer and the splitter to the case walls to set up and it can be finished tomorrow morning. Going to get an early start on the Omni VI so it can be done in time to play.

KJ3N
06-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Here's one guy (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?350992-Field-Day-at-Home-Thread&p=2580364#post2580364) who apparently won't be doing FD.

Seriously? :wtf:

N8YX
06-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Here's one guy (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?350992-Field-Day-at-Home-Thread&p=2580364#post2580364) who apparently won't be doing FD.

To be honest - I have on occasion ordered wire antennas....

...when the price was discounted below the figure that the components would cost. Things like the A-D slopers or loaded dipoles. I've homebrewed similar constructs in the past and your break-even point is around $60 - especially if you use high-quality insulators.

Still, there's no reason the guy cannot run an "in a pinch" antenna - sort of a "what if?" contraption. Someone ought to point this out to him...

KJ3N
06-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Still, there's no reason the guy cannot run an "in a pinch" antenna - sort of a "what if?" contraption. Someone ought to point this out to him...

Someone did. Not that it will do any good.

I suspect the response (if any) will be more excuses and/or I'm a meanie for picking on a newbie. :roll:

KJ3N
06-23-2012, 07:53 AM
.... and/or I'm a meanie for picking on a newbie. :roll:

Wow, I'm the Amazing Kreskin (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?350992-Field-Day-at-Home-Thread&p=2580508#post2580508)....

http://mikecane2008.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/kreskin001.jpg

I didn't realize a dipole was so challenging...

N8YX
06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
I didn't realize a dipole was so challenging...

It's only challenging when UPS ain't delivering.

Just got full QSK on each of the Paragon II/Omni and R-71A pairs. Everything's hooked up and ready to go; I'm going to take a shower then play lots of radio.

N8YX
06-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Just thought of something:

If 1D stations only count as a point to non-'fixed' operations...and running QRO results in less points...and 1D-1D contacts count as zero, is it possible for a fixed station to run high power and subtract points from every 1D you work? :snicker:

ki4itv
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Everything's hooked up and ready to go; I'm going to take a shower then play lots of radio.

Certainly you don't expect to do well in the event with such a non-hammy approach? :nono:

N8YX
06-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Certainly you don't expect to do well in the event with such a non-hammy approach? :nono:

So that's why conditions are dismal here. The bands appear broken for the most part: 40M is workable; 20M is lighter than I've heard it in a while...and 10? Fagedaboutit.

w2amr
06-23-2012, 03:37 PM
So that's why conditions are dismal here. The bands appear broken for the most part: 40M is workable; 20M is lighter than I've heard it in a while...and 10? Fagedaboutit.I worked some ground wave stuff on 6, but that's about it so far.

KG4CGC
06-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Nothing here. Like someone turned the switch off.

ki4itv
06-23-2012, 04:52 PM
That's how it was when I visited W4ZA (RATS effort?)...
I'm going back around 2AM and see if I can help them make up some lost time.

KG4CGC
06-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Quiet as a tit mouse, sans the motorboating from the giant thunderbumper that just rolled through.

ki4itv
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM
^^^Must have been signaling the end of happy hour... I almost hate those hapless bastards.

*typical rag topper response, eh?

KJ3N
06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Looks like a slight change in plans. One of the local groups is short on manpower. I'll probably be doing part of the night shift at KC3AM (2A DE). I'll more than likely focus on 75m, since I won't be getting there before 9pm.

KJ3N
06-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Just thought of something:

If 1D stations only count as a point to non-'fixed' operations...and running QRO results in less points...and 1D-1D contacts count as zero, is it possible for a fixed station to run high power and subtract points from every 1D you work? :snicker:

:rofl:

N8YX
06-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Worked a bunch of stuff on 40M; 10 finally got its act together into Puerto Rico...and as fast as the stations appeared they were gone.

MMSN is complaining about the contesters.

Will try to put you folks in the log a little later, if anyone's working the event.

ki4itv
06-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm just about to start my field day...
always did the overnights in radio.
Funny, that it started that way as a SWL too.

K8LET
06-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Just swung by the local club's FD site. Everyone on radios.. was hoping to find some people just hanging out, but alas. Seemed pretty intense though, lots of complaints about propagation (or lack there of). CW guys seemed the happiest and most relaxed.

KB3LAZ
06-24-2012, 02:52 AM

I thought that building a dipole was one of the very first things that every ham learned. I know it is one of the first things that I have taught to many new hams that I have helped in the hobby. I remember when KB3BEY first became interested in AR, I only had to show him how to solder once..after that I gave him a few spools of wire and the next thing I knew, I had dipoles laying EVERYWHERE! Seriously, my garage looked like an antenna factory.

N8YX
06-24-2012, 08:15 AM
20M is lighter that I've ever heard it as far as the number of signals are concerned.

Put the (K)C0W in the log on 14.241 about 15 minutes ago.

KJ3N
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Spent about 3 hours last night on 75m, with a little bit of 40m. Left the FD site about 1 AM. Went back this morning around 7 AM to work 40m with a little 75m thrown in. Also made one 15m contact. Left around 11 AM.

Now I'm at home, pointing the 15m beam west to see what I can work.

KJ3N
06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Made 20 contacts on 15m. I'm done.

N8YX
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
There were a bunch of CW stations on 15 - I found propagation to be rather light. What were your experiences, Jim?

w0aew
06-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Here's my FD station:
* TenTec Argonaut V at 20w CW
* Buddipole

I worked 50 stations on 20 and 36 on 40 meters in about 5 hours of operating Saturday afternoon and again in the evening. I'm probably not gonna total up points or submit a log...just did it for grins. The chickens were a big "help".

W3WN
06-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Someone say Field Day??Holy guacamole, Batman! Who's shack/museum is that?

W3WN
06-24-2012, 03:42 PM
I've got three shelves downstairs, plus two dutch closets upstairs full of gear. And no room to set most of it up though we're working towards that. Even so, I'm going to sell off a number of duplicates and things which don't quite fit into the shack scheme.

Both TS-940S fit that description: Wonderful radios but 110/220v only - whereas the Paragon, Omni and the Hercules II amps can be run from a 12V source. My goal is to get the entire shack (save a couple pieces of test gear) on a big battery array in the future.
Reminds me... I got to play last night with K3VX's TR-7, out at N3SH; first time I've ever had my hands on one.

Nice little rig. I see why you like them.

N8YX
06-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Reminds me... I got to play last night with K3VX's TR-7, out at N3SH; first time I've ever had my hands on one.

Nice little rig. I see why you like them.
Here's a neat trick:

Slave one of those to an R-7 then connect two sets of paddles or two keyboards to the CW Key jack. With both rigs being operated in CW mode, two ops can hunt and pounce in the same band - the person with the receiver taking control of the transmitter by engaging its "RCT" switch then releasing it when the contact is complete.

Works good with a microphone too. 'DSG and myself used this arrangement to our advantage in 2010 while running the event from her parents' place.

N7YA
06-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Holy guacamole, Batman! Who's shack/museum is that?

Havent got a clue, just found the pic online...not seen anything quite like it.

N8YX
06-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Havent got a clue, just found the pic online...not seen anything quite like it.
Guy's in 9-land and has a bed-and-breakfast. Licensed hams may operate the radios during the stay.

N7YA
06-24-2012, 04:13 PM
And when you want to go mobile in a ridiculous way....

N8YX
06-24-2012, 04:18 PM
We were going to take that same picture a few years ago when at Dayton. Got close to the car when some fat-assed, foulmouth, beat-with-an-ugly-stick 3-land whale started screaming about us being in "her" spot.

(News, sunshine: You had things for sale there. Anyone could walk up and inspect them.)

N7YA
06-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Should have got an excited look on your face and pointed past her and said..."OOOH, FRENCH FRIES AND CHEESE!!"...then snapped your pic as she goes thundering off into the distance looking for her fabled prize. :yes:

N8YX
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
'DSG came damn close to stepping off into the broad but I told her that it wasn't worth it...and any potential diversion of gear money into bail money wouldn't make for a pleasant day. :rofl:

N8YX
06-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Here's my FD station:
* TenTec Argonaut V at 20w CW
You and 'AMI have those rigs. Talk to me about its CW performance...

KJ3N
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
There were a bunch of CW stations on 15 - I found propagation to be rather light. What were your experiences, Jim?

At the FD site, or at home?

N8YX
06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
At the FD site, or at home?

At home on 15. Signals were present but IIRC weaker than in past years.

KJ3N
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
At home on 15. Signals were present but IIRC weaker than in past years.

Given that it took me about an hour of S&P to make the 20 contacts from home, I'd say it was light to pitiful on 15. West Coast was down almost below s4 in quite a number of cases. It was rare to hear a signal louder than s7, no matter who it was.

I worked mostly 6s and 7s, with a small showing of 5s. Some were pleasantly surprised to work DE. ;)

N8YX
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM
My experiences mirror yours, although I used the 'BTV and an inverted vee on 15. Most of the stuff I heard wasn't even moving the Paragon's S-meter. It needs another trip to the bench for an overall sensitivity check and meter adjustment, but 20 and below were registering just fine in the signal-strength department.

Methinks the upper bands were broke.

KJ3N
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM

As, I believe, I predicted (http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/21797-Who-s-Doing-FD?p=445550&viewfull=1#post445550). :whistle:

KG4NEL
06-24-2012, 07:24 PM

Definitely for the first few hours - last year, I didn't even move to 40 until after dark, while I didn't even hear a peep on 15 until much later in the evening this time. Once it opened, it held for a few hours, though. Opened to the West Coast this morning, but the QSB was hideous.

I'm just glad the 3-element wire beam on 40 worked. Meant that we had a lot more interference from the 40 CW guys that were planted right in the middle of the pattern, but hearing "Stand by, I'll take the W4 first..." was pretty cool considering we were QRP :-D

Was also my first time using a K3 for a decent amount of time. Far too much radio for me, but if the KX3 even comes close for the filtering ability, I really want one now...I'll post some pictures later.

KJ3N
06-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Was also my first time using a K3 for a decent amount of time. Far too much radio for me, but if the KX3 even comes close for the filtering ability, I really want one now...I'll post some pictures later.

And I, unfortunately, had to suffer with an FT-757GXII on 40m and 75m. :yuck: :vomit:

Having owned a K3 for about 4 years, it was a big adjustment having to deal with adjacent stations that, at home, are usually not an issue. It really slowed me down and just made listening to the bands that much less enjoyable.

If I go back to this group next year, I will not be using the 757 or the TS-530 they usually have. NFW! :hand:

w0aew
06-25-2012, 07:52 AM
You and 'AMI have those rigs. Talk to me about its CW performance...

Love it. I especially like being able to quickly dial in a filter from 200 hz up to 3 khz (6 khz on AM). Strong signals close to your frequency can be an issue, but it's a great CW rig that's ideal as well for the digital modes.

KB3LAZ
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I have not done FD in a few years but the last two times I did I was alone. Patio table top QRP with a car battery. One year a 703 and the other year with an 817. Before that I did FD with the 730 I have boxed up. The 730 is not a great rig...hell it isnt even a good rig IMO but it was the best 40$ I ever spent at a hamfest. Actually I bought 3 of them from the same guy for 120$. All in good shape. Two were given to new hams and the other was a backup to my backup (718).

wa6mhz
06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
From CA, we had very poor propogation to the far East Coast. 90% of the stations worked were in the Rockies and Central Midwest. They drowned out the East Coast stations who were down at the noise level. I still worked MOST of the states and sections, but it took some doing. When running pileups, the East Coast was completely drowned out by the midwest, so I appologize to all the Hams who so wanted a contact with California. Maybe the Bay area had better prop.

N7YA
06-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Its was crap out here in the Southwest, for sure. Im listening to nothing on the air right now...so im going to bed.

wa6mhz
06-25-2012, 08:35 AM
We were most fortunate to have a FD site with absolutely NO NOISE whatsoever. So we could copy signals that were S ZERO!
and with our great setup, if we could even HEAR them at all, we WORKED THEM! The SR-400 is incredibly sensitive! And that is 1965 Technology!

kk4fpx
06-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Our club had 3 qrp stations a nd one high power.The qrp phone had logged two pages by 6:30 I left early so don't know how the rest did.I'll find out tomorrow at our club meeting.

NQ6U
06-25-2012, 09:01 AM
From CA, we had very poor propogation to the far East Coast. [...] so I appologize to all the Hams who so wanted a contact with California.

We did okay from our site, Pat, but you're right, the northern part of the East Coast was not as evident as usual—we mostly worked the Midwest and Southeast. However, that worked out pretty well for me when I switched over from 20m to 40m at about 0700 UCT Sunday morning because there was an opening to the NE and I found myself on the receiving end of a pile-up for the first time since I got my ticket. East Coast stations were lining up to type at me!

wa6mhz
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
I saw the 40M station pretty busy Sunday morning but didn't investigate what was happening. When I headed toward the FD Site I listenned on 20M and it was STONE DEAD! So I lollygagged around work for awhile till the band started to open. The first few minutes on 20M had a hard time finding contacts until the band fully openned, but then it was to the Midwest. I hope the 40M ops took advantage of the openning like U found and filled the log!

NQ6U
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
BTW, Jeff, I wanted you to know that I ran my digital modes station entirely with Linux on my MacBook Pro the entire weekend. It worked great.

W7XF
06-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I was driving across Nebraska and Iowa Saturday and Sunday... Saturday was almost 100% West Coast stations. Sunday...sucked.
1C

kf0rt
06-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Made 9 contacts in two short sessions, all 20m SSB. Conditions were bad on Saturday and by the time things improved on Sunday, I was off to other things. Even wore my High Plains Drifters t-shirt.

Didn't even make it to Dave's Campsite <tm>. (But still awaiting a review.)

Assume he got laid.