PDA

View Full Version : Colorado wildfires

N8YX
06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Dave and Jeff, are you guys safe?

Last I heard, 37,000 acres and 0% under control.

N8YX
06-11-2012, 04:25 PM
This is centered on Horsetooth Rock, across the reservoir from Ft. Collins, I assume Denver is a safe distance away...

http://i46.tinypic.com/33m54s4.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/33m54s4.jpg

kf0rt
06-11-2012, 04:29 PM
That fire (High Park) is about 15 miles west of Ft. Collins -- a good 75-80 miles from Denver. The Denver metro area never gets "wildfires." Lots of bigass fire departments in the city - fires don't have much of a chance. Here's the daily updated "large incident" fire map from the Forest Service: http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/

kf0rt
06-11-2012, 05:12 PM
100 structures destroyed or damaged now.

Some pictures: http://www.9news.com/news/article/271879/71/High-Park-Fire-caused-by-lightning-strike

N8YX
06-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Sorry I didn't include you in the heads-up, Rob - thought you were farther away from it yet.

There was a newscast a few minutes ago from the fireground area, which I caught. On another board a number of Colorado residents have commented about the fire and the overall condition of the forests themselves. Seems the area has had severe beetle kill and coupled with the temps you folks have been experiencing, it's not a rosy scenario.

kf0rt
06-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah, we usually get a couple of these bad fires every year. It's hell on the rural mountain folks because if you protect your place from the fire, you lose the reason you bought it (close proximity to trees). The last bad fire we had was a "controlled burn" that got out of control -- killed three people and destroyed 23 houses. That was in March. Guess it's kind of a "fact of life" thing.

W4GPL
06-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I'm not worried about my area, too much concrete and brick to burn like that... and as Rob said, it's a good 75 miles as a crow flies. I was outside most of the day though and the smoke sure plays hell on your breathing. Denver isn't exactly known for the cleanest air in the first place..

NQ6U
06-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I like how this thread appears on the index page:

"Colorado wildfires
Started by N8YX"

KG4CGC
06-11-2012, 06:56 PM

"Colorado wildfires
Started by N8YX"

"Wet Toilet Paper Trick. Details at 11."

WØTKX
06-11-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm west of Denver in Evergreen, at Bett's place... It could be dangerous here, needs a little more work on defensible place, but it's better than many. That first fire this year, her best friend had to evacuate. I worked in Woodland Park the year of the infamous Hayman fire. That was freaking scary.

Most of her beetle kill trees have been removed, there are maybe a dozen more, with a few close to the house. Timberrrrrrrr! I do pretty good with dropping trees. If we stay, that will be one of the first things I do. About 12 years ago I was working my ass off with a crew spraying trees for pine beetle. Those that pay, the trees will stay.

I may very well spray some of the trees here, but luckily... there is more diversity here, with a variety of pine trees and quite a few aspens. The Pine beetles really like the lodgepole pines.

N8YX
06-11-2012, 07:14 PM

"Colorado wildfires
Started by N8YX"
There once was a man from Bombass,
Who had balls that were made out of brass.
When they clanked together,
They played "Stormy Weather"...
...and lightning shot out of his ass.

Yep, I think that's what did it.

KG4CGC
06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
There once was a man from Bombass,
Who had balls that were made out of brass.
When they clanked together,
They played "Stormy Weather"...
...and lightning shot out of his ass.

Yep, I think that's what did it.

Naw. Out of work firefighters due to teaparty raping and pillaging.

W4GPL
06-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Update as of 0300 UTC: The High Park Fire is now at 41,140 acres and growing significantly, with zero percent containment. Larimer County says 400 personnel are fighting the blaze. Monday afternoon, officials said at least 100 homes have been damaged or destroyed by the fire in the Rist Canyon area.

Local news coverage: http://www.9news.com/news/article/271879/71/41140-acres-burn-in-High-Park-Fire-1-dead

Fire & EMS Scanner for Larimer County: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=7897

KG4CGC
06-11-2012, 10:40 PM
You guys need rain and Louisiana, Mississippi and parts of Florida are under water.

W4GPL
06-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Important Communication Towers Threatened: http://www.9news.com/news/article/271955/188/High-Park-Fire-threatens-communication-towers

Hope there's no very infrequently used amateur repeaters up there, that would be devastating to the one guy who uses them..

N8YX
06-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Important Communication Towers Threatened: http://www.9news.com/news/article/271955/188/High-Park-Fire-threatens-communication-towers

Hope there's no very infrequently used amateur repeaters up there, that would be devastating to the one guy who uses them..
What you did there...

kf0rt
06-12-2012, 06:43 AM
There are at least a few: http://www.ncarc.net/node/2

A number of the higher-profile 2-way commercial comm sites along the front range started out as ham repeater sites. I'm not sure of the history of Buckhorn/Horsetooth though.

W4GPL
06-12-2012, 06:49 AM
:-| Well.. Now I sorta feel bad.

Obviously I take no joy in seeing any property damaged. I'm just frustrated by how little VHF/UHF repeater activity there is in a region full of awesome repeaters. Perhaps such commentary should be kept away from a thread involving thousands of people losing their homes. </eof> My bad. :)

kf0rt
06-12-2012, 07:01 AM
:-| Well.. Now I sorta feel bad.

Obviously I take no joy in seeing any property damaged. I'm just frustrated by how little VHF/UHF repeater activity there is in a region full of awesome repeaters. Perhaps such commentary should be kept away from a thread involving thousands of people losing their homes. </eof> My bad. :)

Meh... You're right about the use. Denver has some of the best repeaters in the country - due to the topography, you can work from Cheyenne to Colorado Springs on a HT. I think cell phones did 'em in -- they were sure popular back in the 70's and 80's.

A club I helped start (Aurora Repeater Ass'n) was the first to put a repeater on Guy Hill, above Golden Gate Canyon. Excellent coverage. Last time I was up there, they had outbuildings housing repeaters for everything from the FBI to the local hospitals. Quite the operation, and from the pictures on TV, Buckhorn is about the same.

W4GPL
06-12-2012, 07:11 AM
I really don't want to derail this thread, but I'll comment once more and we can start a new thread if needed.. but when I came to Denver for the first time ~3 years ago, the repeaters were packed with good QSOs and generally nice guys. I can put my call out there 12 times a day and no one ever comes back to me. Do I smell bad? :(

kf0rt
06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
It's been about that long since I've tuned across that particular band. Wonder what changed.

In other news, just got back from a Dr. appt. up in the Flatirons Mall area (Broomfield). Pine is thick in the air that-a-way. Guessing visibility out my office window in Westminster is no better than 2 miles. I can usually see the mountains clearly (10-12 miles). Smells like campfire here, too, and we're a long way from the fire.

X-Rated
06-12-2012, 12:11 PM
I really don't want to derail this thread, but I'll comment once more and we can start a new thread if needed.. but when I came to Denver for the first time ~3 years ago, the repeaters were packed with good QSOs and generally nice guys. I can put my call out there 12 times a day and no one ever comes back to me. Do I smell bad? :(

Chicago is like that as well. Very little repeater activity for the third largest metro area in the US.

N8YX
06-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Akron area too. We've gotten sick of the shenanigans and most have gone to FM simplex or to SSB.

n2ize
06-12-2012, 03:37 PM

It's the same out here. A lot of our major repeaters that were constantly active in the 80's and 90's are dead these days. You find more activity on some of the smaller repeaters than the big ones. The only exception is the Long Island LIMARC machine. That machine has wide coverage and near constant activity.

N7YA
06-13-2012, 04:51 AM

"Colorado wildfires
Started by N8YX"

Goes along with 'Seaman reservoir'....we now know how the fire was truly started.

Jokes aside, im glad you Colorado guys are ok.

WØTKX
06-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I was a regular on a couple of (Front Range, Denver) repeaters around here for a few years. There were some good QSO's. However, the repeater politics got a little nasty, and more than once. Just try saying anything about progressive views. :lol:

Moved to simplex and SSB for VHF. And very rarely now. Just don't care much anymore. One of the best periods was when a bunch of us met on 144.275 +/- using SSB and sometimes AM. We got quite philosophical, which continued to annoy the same characters that didn't like us on the repeaters...

But, I could be convinced to get back on there Jeff. I'll be off the early AM shift the first week of June. We should start something. ;)

kf0rt
06-13-2012, 07:02 AM
I was a regular on a couple of (Front Range, Denver) repeaters around here for a few years. There were some good QSO's. However, the repeater politics got a little nasty, and more than once. Just try saying anything about progressive views. :lol:

Moved to simplex and SSB for VHF. And very rarely now. Just don't care much anymore. One of the best periods was when a bunch of us met on 144.275 +/- using SSB and sometimes AM. We got quite philosophical, which continued to annoy the same characters that didn't like us on the repeaters...

But, I could be convinced to get back on there Jeff. I'll be off the early AM shift the first week of June. We should start something. ;)

There's no end to the repeaters we could take over, if we wanted. ;)

W4GPL
06-13-2012, 07:07 AM
I've been rag chewing at around 4am on the 146.940 with AC0IV..

As for the politics.. let them chase us away. If they want their repeaters to be silent, so be it. I'm very respectful on the air.. if someone wants to take issue with my opinions, that's their problem, not mine. And it's not like you, me, and Rob are extremists..

WØTKX
06-13-2012, 07:19 AM
If I put a radio in the Miata, that would be commute time right now.

N8YX
06-13-2012, 07:29 AM
If I put a radio in the Miata, that would be commute time right now.
Your Miata would frown atfrom your shenanigans should you do it.

WØTKX
06-13-2012, 07:35 AM
I dunno. NMO mount on the fender opposite the AM/FM antenna would look OK. The FT-857 could fit pretty easily.
But, I'd rather rock (jazz) out with tunes. Just upgraded the door speakers with some excellent Polk units. Wow.

kf0rt
06-13-2012, 05:56 PM

As for the politics.. let them chase us away. If they want their repeaters to be silent, so be it. I'm very respectful on the air.. if someone wants to take issue with my opinions, that's their problem, not mine. And it's not like you, me, and Rob are extremists..

I get up about 4, drive time for me starts at 5. And I'd need a radio in the car. :lol:

W4GPL
06-13-2012, 09:33 PM
I get up about 4, drive time for me starts at 5. And I'd need a radio in the car. :lol:Do you have an HT? I bought this [ http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/3084.html ] a few weeks back, works really well for local repeaters.. no fuss, easy to slide on and off.. It's not perfect, but it sure is convenient.

kf0rt
06-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Do you have an HT? I bought this [ http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/3084.html ] a few weeks back, works really well for local repeaters.. no fuss, easy to slide on and off.. It's not perfect, but it sure is convenient.

Had a VX-7R, but sold it awhile back (it wasn't getting used -- once a year, I'd charge it up, play with it for 10 minutes and put it back till next year -- seriously). I wouldn't mind an excuse to put a good 2m/70cm rig in the car, but wonder if I'd ever turn it on. I remember one of the CRA repeaters being pretty active just a couple years ago (145.145?). What happened with that? Doing permanent NMO mounts never bothered me much -- I probably have the parts here to do a Larson dual-band setup. I removed the factory double-DIN radio in my current car and replaced it with a single-DIN Alpine unit. Really wanted to mount the '996XT scanner in the other half, but that's an odd radio. The radio "box" meets all the standards, but the faceplate is oversized in such a way that the install would be butt-ugly without a lot of custom dash work. Anyone seen a flush-mounted '996 in a mobile installation? Has it ever been done?

Have an IC-7000, but no desire to put it in the car. And a really old IC-228(?) that's 2m FM only. Still works! I was looking at the Kenwood TM-V71A today. Maybe that'd fit.

There's no shortage of great repeaters we could "take over." :evil:

N7RJD
06-15-2012, 09:40 PM

I am as guilty as anyone else on that part. I am in Denver more than I am home (As in everyday, I work down here.) I have never keyed a radio down here. I have heard all of the Denver and vicinity guys on this board on the radio at least once but am usually short hopping from one place to the next and don't have the luxury of time on my side.

N7RJD
06-15-2012, 09:44 PM

Yep, I heard the two of you on there this morning.

kf0rt
06-23-2012, 05:44 PM
High Park Fire is now at 75,000 acres and 45% contained. It was 55% contained yesterday and they were predicting full containment mid-July. Today will set that back.

Drier than a popcorn fart out there and 100 degrees here in town.

A new fire today near Estes Park has burned 6 homes up that way and is now pulling resources from High Park.

W5GA
06-23-2012, 06:37 PM
I wish you guys luck, you're in a pretty bad way up there.

W7XF
06-24-2012, 12:40 AM
I was in Cheyenne this morning....my lungs were burning from.all the.smoke.

kf0rt
06-24-2012, 06:32 AM
This morning's report says the Estes Park fire is in "mop up." It's good to have a huge team of firefolks nearby. Containment on High Park (that which was burning your lungs, Kevin) has been pushed back to July 30.

WV6Z
06-24-2012, 09:33 AM
"Wet Toilet Paper Trick. Details at 11."

Oh shit, there's no 'like' button....... damn...... Uh hem...... Jolly good show publican, very good show indeed guv!

KG4CGC
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Good Morning, Tom. Hope all is well and that your life is now less complicated.

W4GPL
06-26-2012, 08:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Yj0VU.jpg
Sent by a friend. Now it's windy as hell.. I'm sure that's helpful. :-|

NA4BH
06-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Think of the money that you will save. Turn off the lights at night. Still looks like daylight. :stirpot:

kf0rt
06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Taken off the deck here, mere moments ago:

http://westton.com/misc/fire1.jpg

Too far south to be a Boulder deal.

W4GPL
06-26-2012, 08:28 PM
That's troubling.

N8YX
06-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Is the fire spreading south?

KC2UGV
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah, wild fires are some nasty chit. Had a couple while on Fire Fighting Detail on Fort Hood. Once those winds kick up, it's time to call in the water buckets. We even had one where they started having to call in the local Forestry Service to assist :(

Nasty chit it is.

W4GPL
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Is the fire spreading south?Not "spreading".. just new fires..

kf0rt
06-26-2012, 08:50 PM
That's troubling.

Where we're at, that's pretty much a clear shot over Rocky Flats. Just went out; don't see any smoke now.

The news is now reporting fires in cigarette butt-cans. We're "sensitized." According to the news, over half of our national wildfire resources are now in Colorado. The small stuff goes down pretty fast when the resources are there. In a normal season, the smaller stuff never makes the news.

Got a status update from my pal in Rist Canyon today that said he might be allowed back on his property to see what survived. He's been evac'd for about two and a half weeks now and has no idea what he's going to see. A lot of the residents are upset with the Larimer County Sheriff's Dept. True Catch-22... they're busting ass to save property and can't do it all.

I have a new appreciation for the hurricane ravaged SE these days. This is a "barn burner" season for Colorado.

W4GPL
06-26-2012, 09:05 PM
I keep getting inquiries from friends & family in FL.. "are you ok!?!" -- "are the fires.." blah blah blah?.. And of course, their concern is appreciated, but it's like.. my only impact is some hazy skies and the smell of smoke. Meanwhile they're getting flooded out, the Withlachoocee River is cresting in their neighborhood.. after a 5 year draught. Mother Nature is a real bitch. *sigh*

kf0rt
06-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I keep getting inquiries from friends & family in FL.. "are you ok!?!" -- "are the fires.." blah blah blah?.. And of course, their concern is appreciated, but it's like.. my only impact is some hazy skies and the smell of smoke. Meanwhile they're getting flooded out, the Withlachoocee River is cresting in their neighborhood.. after a 5 year draught. Mother Nature is a real bitch. *sigh*

No joke, man.

And people know the risks. I've known more than a few mountain folks (it's why people move here) and they all know the dangers of wildland mountain fires. Cross your fingers and buy insurance; it's usually worth it. Probably the same deal with the weather in Florida.

Ya pays yer money and ya's spin the wheel. I'd fucking *love* to have a small place among the timbers myself. It's tough risk management any way you cut it.

KC2UGV
06-26-2012, 09:27 PM

It's the same as when we get a big dumping of snow, and some power outages. People from all over ask,"You ok?", and I'm like,"Well, yeah. This happens every year." Fortunately, I don't believe most other people get bad weather the same time as we do here.

ab1ga
06-27-2012, 08:11 AM

Talked to my parents in Loveland last night. I was worried for a while because I couldn't get through; turns out my mother was talking to her sister in Florida, comparing notes. :)

Mom's biggest complaints are the heat (seems it's hit daytime highs over 100), the smell of smoke (no haze yet), and the wind. Dad's got emphysema, but wind direction seems to be favorable, so he's not breathing any harder than he usually does. This seems to be a very hot fire due to burning of beetle-killed dry timber, making fighting it all the harder.

N8YX
06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Fire is getting close to the Air Force Academy. Surrounding areas have been put under an evac notice; 32K people displaced at present.

wa6mhz
06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
They just said it was caused by a FIREFIGHTERS TRAINING EXERCISE!!!!!

don't they know better than to PLAY WITH FIRE????

SOMEONE needs to be SUED!!!

kf0rt
06-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Fire is getting close to the Air Force Academy. Surrounding areas have been put under an evac notice; 32K people displaced at present.

Lotta expensive houses turned to ash in that one last night. They're saying it could be the most damaging fire in state history. :(

Denver Post has some amazing photos here: http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/06/photos-waldo-canyon-fire-near-garden-of-the-gods/38318/

KG4CGC
06-27-2012, 12:36 PM

I said earlier it was out of work FFs looking for temp jobs who were displaced due to austerity measures taken by state gooburnurs.

kf0rt
06-27-2012, 01:00 PM

SOMEONE needs to be SUED!!!

Where'd you hear that, Pat?

I'm kinda doubting it, but anything's possible.

WØTKX
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
An earlier fire this year in Confer was caused by a controlled burn that got away.

Mistakes were made in that one for sure. The latest ones are from lightning mostly.

Possible arson case for a smaller one.

PA5COR
06-27-2012, 02:29 PM
I heard that shooters were responsable firing on explosive targets.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0623/Too-many-wildfires-caused-by-gun-owners-says-Utah-governor-video
http://politics.slashdot.org/story/12/06/24/0038249/fires-sparked-by-utah-target-shooters-prompt-evacuations
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_178488d3-e540-572a-a4c8-85989445763c.html

wa6mhz
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Where'd you hear that, Pat?

I'm kinda doubting it, but anything's possible.
Thats just what they said on the NEWS Radio here (KOGO 600 AM radio)

N8YX
06-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Lightning set High Park ablaze. As was pointed out in the Slashdot article, if you are under a Red Flag warning you leave potential ignition sources at home and out of susceptible areas.

W4GPL
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
It's been thundering and lightning for over a hour, but no rain. :-|

N8YX
06-27-2012, 04:54 PM
It's been thundering and lightning for over a hour, but no rain. :-|
Virga - moisture falling from a thunderstorm into a dry, hot layer of air immediately above the ground evaporates before reaching it, and lightning emanating from the storm strikes without the rain wetting flammable timber stands. That's the kind of situation which lights most wildfires.

W4GPL
06-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Obama Will Tour Colorado Fires, Thank Firefighters -- fsck off, would ya? I like the President and I know he'll be criticized no matter what he does (like right now :lol:).. but c'mon. Send a muffin basket and a postcard, would ya? We don't need the traffic jams & other distractions, yo. Every time he comes to town it's a friggin' nightmare. Hopefully he's flying directly into Colorado Springs or Ft. Collins and staying the hell out of Denver.

When I lived in Florida, we used to hate when POTUS came to town after a hurricane. We know you're supportive, go away. :)

kf0rt
06-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Obama Will Tour Colorado Fires, Thank Firefighters -- fsck off, would ya? I like the President and I know he'll be criticized no matter what he does (like right now :lol:).. but c'mon. Send a muffin basket and a postcard, would ya? We don't need the traffic jams & other distractions, yo. Every time he comes to town it's a friggin' nightmare. Hopefully he's flying directly into Colorado Springs or Ft. Collins and staying the hell out of Denver.

When I lived in Florida, we used to hate when POTUS came to town after a hurricane. We know you're supportive, go away. :)

:rofl: Truth.

W4GPL
06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Life in a swing state, eh? *sigh*

kf0rt
06-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Life in a swing state, eh? *sigh*

Yup, and FWIW, I can't see Denver being involved unless he makes it home base for a long helicopter ride. With the focus now on Colorado Springs, I'm betting on Peterson AFB down there. I'd rather see the money spent on more tankers.

N8YX
06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Obama can do one of two things to help the situation:

1) Stay in Washington, STFU NOOB, authorize emergency manpower and equipment funding for the National Forest Service's firefighter brigades;

2) Show up incognito at Fire Command, in turnout gear and with shovel and chainsaw in hand then help battle the fires.

Anything else is obstructionist and can be construed as showboating.

N7YA
06-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Nah, firefighters are too macho to not think he will just get in the way there too...and they'd probably be right.

WØTKX
06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Obama needs a VX8? :omg:

ki4itv
06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Obama can do one of two things to help the situation:

1) Stay in Washington, STFU NOOB, authorize emergency manpower and equipment funding for the National Forest Service's firefighter brigades;

2) Show up incognito at Fire Command, in turnout gear and with shovel and chainsaw in hand then help battle the fires.

Anything else is obstructionist and can be construed as showboating.

Kinda be fun watching the circus surrounding option two.
Y'all got enough Colorado hookers on standby?

KG4CGC
06-27-2012, 08:09 PM

Is Colorado known for their hookers?

ki4itv
06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't know Colorado for its hookers.
But, then again, I didn't know the secret service liked to party like that either.

NA4BH
06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Is Colorado known for their hookers?

Mile high hookers Local 1479.

KG4CGC
06-27-2012, 09:50 PM

W4GPL
06-28-2012, 02:27 AM
*sigh* Now it's getting political. The Weekly Standard has criticized Obama for cutting tanker funding.. and then the press pushed Gov. Hickenlooper on the issue. "Were these the same conservatives that were so worried about the Obama administration spending too much money, or were these different conservatives?" Hickenlooper said.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20955042/colorado-gov-hickenlooper-defends-obama-over-reduced-air

Fucking put out the fires. Measure your tiny dicks later.

N8YX
06-28-2012, 03:09 AM
Fucking put out the fires. Measure your tiny dicks later.

InBev could donate some Budweiser to me and the crew and we'd piss 'em out right quick.

CO gets fires extinguished;

InBev gets good press;

We get a decent buzz out of the deal...with an epic hangover after the fact.

On second thought - never mind. I quit drinking a lot of the mass-produced stuff for a reason.

W4GPL
06-28-2012, 03:12 AM
This is Colorado, if we're going that route.. we're going to raid Coors in Golden, CO.

N8YX
06-28-2012, 03:12 AM
At a meeting yesterday one of the attendees stated that manatees were being found in the flooded streets - and that front-end loaders with sponge-cushioned buckets were being employed to return the animals to their normal habitats.

Of course, this made for some interesting jokes.

N8YX
06-28-2012, 03:14 AM
This is Colorado, if we're going that route.. we're going to raid Coors in Golden, CO.
Budweiser or Busch works better in the pass-through department. Trust me on this.

VK3ZL
06-28-2012, 03:57 AM
My thoughts go out to any of you who are affected by the fires...I have a lifetime of experience with wild fire and know first hand the devastation it causes to life and property....I wish you all well and hope that some relief comes sooner than later..

Bob..VK3ZL..

N7YA
06-28-2012, 04:29 AM
^^^^ Concur! Take care, you guys. I can smell those fires all the way into SoNev. They are pretty bad.

kf0rt
06-28-2012, 05:50 AM

Colorado Springs is the RWN hotbed for the state. Remember Ted Haggard?
Not sure about quantity, but I bet they have the best hookers down there. :omg:

ki4itv
06-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Colorado Springs is the RWN hotbed for the state. Remember Ted Haggard?
Not sure about quantity, but I bet they have the best hookers down there. :omg:

That makes sense. Somewhere in the wayback machine, I had some friends who parents were big time Christian Scientist and they had close ties to Colorado Springs for some reason.
They weren't from there or anything...and I vaguely remember it being about the church.

WØTKX
06-28-2012, 06:30 AM
http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/69733642.html
(http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/69733642.html)

kf0rt
06-28-2012, 07:05 AM
That makes sense. Somewhere in the wayback machine, I had some friends who parents were big time Christian Scientist and they had close ties to Colorado Springs for some reason.
They weren't from there or anything...and I vaguely remember it being about the church.

Here's another biggie down there (I say that like it's vagina or something):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_on_the_Family

KC2UGV
06-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Have they called in fire support from surrounding states? I do recall Texas having a sizeable wild fire service there. Not sure if it was Fed or State, though. And, are they talking NoGo activations yet?

kf0rt
06-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Have they called in fire support from surrounding states? I do recall Texas having a sizeable wild fire service there. Not sure if it was Fed or State, though. And, are they talking NoGo activations yet?

Way past that. We've got over half of the national teams here (+ their equipment and air tankers), Kansas NG, Nebraska NG, etc. It's a happenin' kinda place. Everything according to protocol, as is usual.

What's a NoGo activation?

KC2UGV
06-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Way past that. We've got over half of the national teams here (+ their equipment and air tankers), Kansas NG, Nebraska NG, etc. It's a happenin' kinda place. Everything according to protocol, as is usual.

Ah, wasn't sure of the whole scale of what's going on so far.

What's a NoGo activation?

National Guard :)

kf0rt
06-28-2012, 07:25 AM
National Guard :)

Yeah... In a lot of cases, I think the NG is handling road blocks. But they're pretty active on the aerial fire lines too. Seems they have some bigass helicopters (& talent) that work well for this sort of thing. I was just looking at a pretty cool Colorado NG photo blog yesterday that's full of recent fire pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/conationalguard/

KC2UGV
06-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Yeah... In a lot of cases, I think the NG is handling road blocks. But they're pretty active on the aerial fire lines too. Seems they have some bigass helicopters (& talent) that work well for this sort of thing. I was just looking at a pretty cool Colorado NG photo blog yesterday that's full of recent fire pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/conationalguard/

The CH47's can handle a water "bucket" the size of a corten steel shipping container, and drop it to within a couple 10's of meters too...

And, those HEMMTs are pretty sweet trucks. You can move nearly anything with them.

N8YX
06-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Third-hand report from one of the scanner feeds yesterday that a couple of kids were observed setting fire to a field and were being chased.

N8YX
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Now the midwest may get in on the fun:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/fire_wx/fwdy1.html

kf0rt
06-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Some aerial pictures of the Waldo home damage (Colorado Springs): http://wark.photoshelter.com/gallery/Waldo-wildfire/G0000pfdsjLJOg7I/'

They're now estimating about 300 homes burned (yeah, a new state record -- last record stood for about a week). These aren't as expensive as I imagined, given the location. Here's the area, on zillow: http://www.zillow.com/homes/Colorado-Springs-CO_rb/#/homes/for_sale/Colorado-Springs-CO/house_type/4172_rid/38.926631,-104.862313,38.919503,-104.879415_rect/15_zm/0_mmm/

KG4CGC
06-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Have you guys tried Frog Weddings?
http://news.sky.com/story/954438/farmers-desperate-for-rain-stage-frog-wedding

kf0rt
07-03-2012, 06:39 AM
High Park fire now 100% contained. My buddy up there (evacuated for 2.5 weeks) reports that both of his houses survived; lots of ash, lots to clean up. Says his views weren't affected as bad as expected. (Up there, views ARE your property value.)

Waldo fire in Colorado Springs is 70% contained.

"Monsoon season" (really?) begins soon.

W4GPL
07-08-2012, 02:00 PM
The Waldo Canyon Fire has reached 98 percent containment as firefighters continue to patrol the area and damp down hot spots, according to fire officials.

http://www.denverpost.com/wildfires/ci_21031998/waldo-canyon-fire-near-colorado-springs-reaches-98

Woohoo! :) This was the particularly destructive fire y'all saw on the national news, albeit smaller in size. Proving yet again, it's not the size but how you use it. :shifty: This is excellent news.. temps in Denver have been easily 15 to 20 degrees cooler in the last several days and yesterday we had some crazy ass rains -- I almost got washed away driving south on I-25.

N8YX
07-08-2012, 02:13 PM
You folks definitely deserved a break - glad you got one.

N7YA
07-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Finally, monsoon season has arrived. If only it would have been a few weeks early for you guys.