PDA

View Full Version : OK, now I'm about as impressed with Android as I've ever been with technology...

W1GUH
06-10-2012, 03:25 PM
It continues to blow me away. Is Android watching me?

The latest delight is learning how good the GTA III port to Android is. It's beyond what I could have expected. First of all, it's the complete game, and it's playing exactly like on a PC. Maybe better. Graphics are stunning, performance is perfect. Add to that....

I can use a USB controller. I'm using the MS wireless XBOX 360 controller and that's seamless. And with the Android, a new USB device doesn't result in the "Searching for driver, etc." bs from the OS. I plugged in the receiver & it was ready to go instantly. (+ a whole bunch of merit.)

And then, the thing I didn't ever dare to expect....

IT DOES 3D STEREOSCOPIC GRAPHICS!!!

Again, transparently. Didn't have to do a thing but plug the Transformer into my 3D monitor. Soon's the 3D graphics started in the game, it was stereo. No fanfare, to BS messin' around with settings. No nothin'. Just great 3D graphics. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTA with 3d vision. I'm in heaven.

Not only because I can do that, but with Android in general and how active it is and how much energy is going into it. So Android, in general, is what I wished for when I was messing with Ubuntu. It's a commercial device (with the testing and development that goes along with that) using linux. And that world seems to a large extent tuned into technology like yours truly. That I GOTTA love.

Maybe a footnote.....

I was messin' around in some app menu and saw the GTA III app I'd already installed, and it looked different. Told me that it can do USB controllers and 3D vision. Don't recall seeing that a few days ago, I believe this a new version. But I didn't actively upgrade the app I have and it still had that update. Dunno about this, but if it WAS an update, even THAT was very well done, quickly and transparently.

But dark side? "The Cloud" has its hooks into me pretty severly here. I haven't spent the time to turn this stuff off, but I believe my Transformer is being backed up in Google's "cloud." Not really comfortable about that. Is this the price of awesome mobile capabilities?

K7SGJ
06-10-2012, 04:32 PM
You know, it's kinda funny you should mention all that, for I, too, am amazed with some of the stuff you can do with the Android platform. It's size vs it's ability to do so much, so well, is really cool. And yes, they are watching YOU. In fact, in the Google app store they have an interesting, multi-level game they just put out. It's call "Ham Hippie Geek Pilot". The first level, you try to get a ham license, and go to as many ham fests as possible. The more you go to, and the more old shit you buy, the more extra lives you get. If you eat anything, drink the coffee, or shower, you lose a life. When you've done all the fests on the East coast, you move up a level. Level two is kind of boring. All you do is let your hair grow, and clog up the drain. However, if you get a DIY roto rooter from a local hardware store, and clear the drain, you get to move up to Geek level three. Here you try to buy one each of every kind of computer that will play MS Flt Sim. The object is to become so proficient, you can fly to the West coast, non stop, and safely land at Lindbergh field; where you meet up with a couple of ham characters. One in a pointy hat, and one driving a Town Car with fake bullet holes in it. Now, the object on this level is to hit as many fests on the left coast as possible in one weekend, and pick up more old shit. I haven't finished this level, but it seems the object is to load your DC-3 (that has nose art of a black widow spider) with all the old shit you buy out west, and then try to get home. If you have too much stuff, you crash in the Rockies because you've overload the plane and didn't account for the thin cold air, which we all know reduces lift. The only way to survive is to toss out some of the radio equipment before you crash. The problem is, your co pilot is from Crest, and he won't throw out anything. Like I say, I'm still stuck on level three because the carbs are icing up.

Anyway, it is a fun game, and plays well in 3D.

And you think no one reads your posts, ya long hair hippie bastid. :rofl:

NQ6U
06-10-2012, 04:38 PM
That game would be enough to make me ditch my iPhone for Android, Eddie.

W1GUH
06-10-2012, 04:47 PM
'SGJ:

:clap::lol::rofl::cheers:

Charles, set this man up with anything he wants! Just outstanding! Hope you didn't spend TOO much time on it. Freakin' great! Is this app available yet?

Since starting this thread I plugged in my USB hub that has a disk and a wireless keyboard/mouse receiver and all is just as if I plugged it into a laptop only better...no friggin' around with drivers. Is the anything that damn table won't do? Haven't found anything yet. Can I get to morph into a 19 year-old....no...that'd probably kill me!

So....going huntin' for a convenient portable keyboard. The one in the docking station works, but it's not full size and it'd be good to get something else.

KC2UGV
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
...clip...
But dark side? "The Cloud" has its hooks into me pretty severly here. I haven't spent the time to turn this stuff off, but I believe my Transformer is being backed up in Google's "cloud." Not really comfortable about that. Is this the price of awesome mobile capabilities?

You can gut that, if you like. Just install an AOSP ROM, minus all the Google Framework services.

W1GUH
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
That game would be enough to make me ditch my iPhone for Android, Eddie.

Far as I can tell, there's enough motivation for that even without playing a game about a long-haired hippie.

No...wait....this is a tablet and a lot of its goodness comes from the larger screen and the docking station. Dunno if I'd be this ecstatic with "just" an Android phone. YMMV, as always.

K7SGJ
06-10-2012, 04:53 PM
'SGJ:

:clap::lol::rofl::cheers:

Charles, set this man up with anything he wants! Just outstanding! Hope you didn't spend TOO much time on it. Freakin' great! Is this app available yet?

Since starting this thread I plugged in my USB hub that has a disk and a wireless keyboard/mouse receiver and all is just as if I plugged it into a laptop only better...no friggin' around with drivers. Is the anything that damn table won't do? Haven't found anything yet. Can I get to morph into a 19 year-old....no...that'd probably kill me!

So....going huntin' for a convenient portable keyboard. The one in the docking station works, but it's not full size and it'd be good to get something else.

Go blutooth. You can get them all the way from small (used with the old PDAs) up to full size. I just ordered one from Amazon that has the keyboard and mouse pad. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboards/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400

W1GUH
06-10-2012, 04:56 PM
You can gut that, if you like. Just install an AOSP ROM, minus all the Google Framework services.

Thanks, Cory...probably save me a bunch of time. On my list, for sure.

W1GUH
06-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Go blutooth. You can get them all the way from small (used with the old PDAs) up to full size. I just ordered one from Amazon that has the keyboard and mouse pad. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboards/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400

Wouldn't want the touchpad. Just a keyboard and mouse. What I've got in mind is one that'll fold up into a small package.

NQ6U
06-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Eddie, you forgot one thing in your game: while in San Diego, the player should stop in for an audience with Da Pope.

K7SGJ
06-10-2012, 05:15 PM
No I didn't. Check out the stop at Lindbergh Field. Two guys. One driving a town car, and one with a pointy hat. Got ya covered Brah

W1GUH
06-10-2012, 05:53 PM
This explains why lately I've felt like some geek is controlling my every movement?

K7SGJ
06-10-2012, 06:43 PM
This explains why lately I've felt like some geek is controlling my every movement?

Hopefully that doesn't include the bowel variety.

W1GUH
06-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Dunno. They putting that in games now? You could tell Scarface to take a leak.

BTW...credit where it's due. That was a gag in the original Max Payne. IMHO, much better than II or III.

NQ6U
06-10-2012, 08:16 PM
No I didn't. Check out the stop at Lindbergh Field. Two guys. One driving a town car, and one with a pointy hat. Got ya covered Brah

Duh. Totally missed the connection.

K7SGJ
06-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Duh. Totally missed the connection.

Perhaps you need to loosen the pointy hat a bit. Wearing them too tight is a Cardinal Sin.

NQ6U
06-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Perhaps you need to loosen the pointy hat a bit. Wearing them too tight is a Cardinal Sin.

Now, now, we'll have nun of that.

—Pope Carlo I

K7SGJ
06-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Don't act so pius.

NQ6U
06-10-2012, 09:30 PM
You're pretty tonsure of yourself.

n2ize
06-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Just to give you guys an idea how far removed I am from this, I have only the vaguest idea of what you are talking about. I guess you mean you have a mobile device which runs under the Android operating system which is a flavor of the Linux OS. To my best knowledge most of the popular applications are programmed using Java so I guess you guys are into writing complex games and apps in Java on the Android platform ?? No ?? Okay maybe simpler things... I would also expect that if it can run Java apps you can also program/run apps programmed in just about any language, i.e. C++ C, Perl, Python, etc. I would imagine you can install the needed compilers, editors, interpreters needed for these other languages. I guess from what you write her it has a lot done for it and makes it quite versatile.

n2ize
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
You know, it's kinda funny you should mention all that, for I, too, am amazed with some of the stuff you can do with the Android platform. It's size vs it's ability to do so much, so well, is really cool. And yes, they are watching YOU. In fact, in the Google app store they have an interesting, multi-level game they just put out. It's call "Ham Hippie Geek Pilot".:rofl:

Good lord... how tacky :chin:

n2ize
06-10-2012, 10:37 PM
The problem I have with android is that it is njot a true free GNU operating system. While it is a step in the right direction and a cut above Apple/Microsoft it still does not represent t the true freedom that GNU'ers cherish. For this reason I refrain from involving myself with android until it becomes a true free (as in beer) public license in the spirit of the GPL.

W4GPL
06-10-2012, 10:49 PM
How does using Opera play into your pure GNU ideals?

You're not Richard Stallman, don't act like it.

n2ize
06-10-2012, 11:08 PM
How does using Opera play into your pure GNU ideals?

You're not Richard Stallman, don't act like it.

I am running opera by choice.. To me Android just goes to far as the OS itself is not GNU and thus not "free" as in beer. I would never adopt an OS such as Android until it is GPL /GNU compliant. A lot of Linux flavours unfortunately violate the GNU/GPL to a greater or lesser degree. And yes, I am not a GNU purist. But Android simply takes the idea of GNU non-compliance too far for my liking.

Simply put, most Linux distors respect my freedom to a reasonable degree. What apps I choose I am free to choose. Unfortunately Android does not respect the users freedom. It falls too short.

W4GPL
06-10-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm running my own custom build of Cyanogen's Ice Cream Sandwich, other than some license ambiguity, what freedom am I lacking? I can build & run any app I want.. I can remove any app that may be 'included' by default..

n2ize
06-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Stallman raises some key points regarding what is wrong with Android. Now I'll admit, I am not a GNU/free (as in beer) software purist in the sense that Stallman is but, he raises some points about Android that I find a bit disturbing. Still, it's better than going Apple or Microsoft.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/sep/19/android-free-software-stallman

W4GPL
06-11-2012, 01:30 AM
I knew that would be your reply, I had read that article previously. RMS is a fanatical, petty, emotionally stunted fruitcake. His point about non-free firmware exists widely among existing PC hardware, it's just a fact of life. I have to use the Broadcom firmware cutter to make my WiFi card work. As for the source code concerns, there's been enough of Android properly released to the public that forks and hacks and other sane branches are being adopted by all sorts of groups & individuals. There's little stopping direct community development without the need for Google at this point.

And you'll find no bigger advocate of Linux and F/OSS on this forum than myself. But I'm also a realist who wants to use new technology rather than simply being relegated to complaining about it. He's correct in that Android isn't perfect, but given the marketplace, it's as good as it could possibly be. Feel free to sit on the sidelines, but some really cool stuff is passing you by.

Apple intentionally tries to damage/sabotage users who jailbreak or hack any of their devices. The fact that Google has made no such effort indicates they rather enjoy input and innovation of their users. Even most of their stock firmwares allow for a lot 'not recommended' usage.. e.g. installing unsigned/unknown apps.

n2ize
06-11-2012, 04:40 AM
I knew that would be your reply, I had read that article previously. RMS is a fanatical, petty, emotionally stunted fruitcake.

I agree for the most part. While I agree with much of Stallman's philosophies I also acknowledge that he is quite extreme and unyielding. Then again, sometimes a movement needs an extreme one to keep things in check.

His point about non-free firmware exists widely among existing PC hardware, it's just a fact of life. I have to use the Broadcom firmware cutter to make my WiFi card work.

I had to do the same thing for a laptop with a Broadcomm card. This is where I tend to part ways with Stallman. Sometimes you need to accept some "evil" or things just won;t work.

As for the source code concerns, there's been enough of Android properly released to the public that forks and hacks and other sane branches are being adopted by all sorts of groups & individuals. There's little stopping direct community development without the need for Google at this point.

And you'll find no bigger advocate of Linux and F/OSS on this forum than myself. But I'm also a realist who wants to use new technology rather than simply being relegated to complaining about it. He's correct in that Android isn't perfect, but given the marketplace, it's as good as it could possibly be. Feel free to sit on the sidelines, but some really cool stuff is passing you by.

Apple intentionally tries to damage/sabotage users who jailbreak or hack any of their devices. The fact that Google has made no such effort indicates they rather enjoy input and innovation of their users. Even most of their stock firmwares allow for a lot 'not recommended' usage.. e.g. installing unsigned/unknown apps.

I think that is Stallman's main point., He does seem to give credit where its due. He does point out that Google/Android is closer to the free (as in beer) utopia that GNU/GPL purists envision as opposed to the hard core anti-free (as in beer) tactics of Apple , Microsoft, etc. At the same time he does raise the point that it is still not entirely free (as in beer) for reasons mentioned and he wants to remind us of that. What we do or where we go with it is up to each of us as individuals. There is no right or wrong approach.

W1GUH
06-11-2012, 07:18 AM
"If ya can't do what you really want to do, do what ya CAN do."

Waiting for utopia can take a mighty long time.

K7SGJ
06-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Yeah. What he ^^^said. Maybe John should download the Ham Hippie Geek Pilot game, eh?

NQ6U
06-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree about Open Source and the freedom to hack in most cases. However, for me, my phone is primarily a communications device and I don't care whether or not I can modify it as long as works reliably.

K7SGJ
06-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Just leave the damned thing alone. You're going to break it, and start to whinny about it.

By the way, is it true that nuns don't get nun?

KB3LAZ
06-11-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm running my own custom build of Cyanogen's Ice Cream Sandwich, other than some license ambiguity, what freedom am I lacking? I can build & run any app I want.. I can remove any app that may be 'included' by default..

Have you used Ice Cream Sandwich on a netbook or laptop? I have been reading up on this and it seems to be becoming quite popular. Although it would seem that there are quite a few flaws. One example would be getting the app market to work and it would seem that often times wifi connectabllity is shot from the get go.

Im getting tired of lugging my laptop around as it is a desktop replacement and I tend to travel a lot these days. I have an older netbook (not archaic) sitting around going to waste that someone thought it a good idea to install win 7 home premium on..what a dog. I was thinking about throwing an android OS on there due to its lightweight platform. Stories of uber battery life that I have heard on the net would be another plus. Its either that or I may dick around with mint.

W1GUH
06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Have you used Ice Cream Sandwich on a netbook or laptop? I have been reading up on this and it seems to be becoming quite popular. Although it would seem that there are quite a few flaws. One example would be getting the app market to work and it would seem that often times wifi connectabllity is shot from the get go.

Im getting tired of lugging my laptop around as it is a desktop replacement and I tend to travel a lot these days. I have an older netbook (not archaic) sitting around going to waste that someone thought it a good idea to install win 7 home premium on..what a dog. I was thinking about throwing an android OS on there due to its lightweight platform. Stories of uber battery life that I have heard on the net would be another plus. Its either that or I may dick around with mint.

Haven't see any of the problems you mention in the first paragraph. It's been solid in all respects so far....

W4GPL
06-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Have you used Ice Cream Sandwich on a netbook or laptop?No, just a tablet and phone..

n2ize
06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
I agree about Open Source and the freedom to hack in most cases. However, for me, my phone is primarily a communications device and I don't care whether or not I can modify it as long as works reliably.

Stallman's point is that other might care and they might find themselves limited in what they can do. I would like to see these systems 100% free (as in beer) and open. But that is not likely to happen. So we need to struggle for what we can get and hopefully convince more vendors to deliver more openness with regards to platforms. Unlike the Stallman purists I am willing to compromise (to a degree) for practical reasons.

W4GPL
06-11-2012, 09:19 PM
For this reason I refrain from involving myself with android until it becomes a true free (as in beer) public license in the spirit of the GPL.

Unlike the Stallman purists I am willing to compromise (to a degree) for practical reasons.

So which is it?

n2ize
06-11-2012, 09:37 PM
So which is it?

A combo. I continue to use GNU Linux and experiment with different distros and GNU tools. At the same time I am waiting on Android (which I feel violates GNU/GPL values) and avoiding it until it better fits the GNU/GPL protocol.

KB3LAZ
06-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Haven't see any of the problems you mention in the first paragraph. It's been solid in all respects so far....

Yes, but you mean on your tablet PC, right. I want to put it on a non android device. If you do have it on normal netbook or laptop Id love to hear what your experiences have been like. Here in Spain android comes dual booted on some Acer Netbooks however I dont want to buy a new one. I want to see how it works on my current netbook.

KB3LAZ
06-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Ah hell, Im just gonna do it and see how it goes.

W4GPL
06-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Travis.. Are you think of ChromeOS and not Android, by chance?

KB3LAZ
06-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Travis.. Are you think of ChromeOS and not Android, by chance?

No.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/629971/acer-aspire-one-android-netbook-review

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-android-netbook/

Just an idea of what I am doing. Aside from that, android netbooks are like a fad here in Spain. Being sold at places such as PC box for around 150€. Yes, they are refurbished. I was just curious how well these actually run.

KC2UGV
06-12-2012, 06:22 AM
A combo. I continue to use GNU Linux and experiment with different distros and GNU tools. At the same time I am waiting on Android (which I feel violates GNU/GPL values) and avoiding it until it better fits the GNU/GPL protocol.

You know you can build an Android distro from source, right? You'll just lack the Google Framework, which is not, nor will never be, GPL licensed.

W1GUH
06-12-2012, 06:57 AM
My comment about solid Wifi performance was based on a nice cozy home environment. Now I'm on Amtrak & the connection is solid as a rock.

Now, if I could only figure how the heck text entry here on the Island works. Just typing can send the cursor into hyperspace & I get those funny little two_tone houses marking something. Help!!!! Android/Asus/Google ui tutorial puh-leeze!

W4GPL
06-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Now, if I could only figure how the heck text entry here on the Island works. Just typing can send the cursor into hyperspace & I get those funny little two_tone houses marking something. Help!!!! Android/Asus/Google ui tutorial puh-leeze!Let's not assume you're doing something wrong.. Rob has a Kindle Fire that does the same thing. It's a new bug that was introduced into the system a few releases ago. I can't reproduce it on ANY of my devices.. Linux (Firefox & Chrome), Windows (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari), iOS (Safari), and Android (default Webkit-POS browser).. I can't figure what the difference is.

Hey Paul, would you be willing to get on the forum from your tablet and call me at the same time so that I can snag your user agent data?

Can you tried selecting the mobile theme? I hear that works..

W1GUH
06-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Let's not assume you're doing something wrong.. Rob has a Kindle Fire that does the same thing. It's a new bug that was introduced into the system a few releases ago. I can't reproduce it on ANY of my devices.. Linux (Firefox & Chrome), Windows (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari), iOS (Safari), and Android (default Webkit-POS browser).. I can't figure what the difference is.

Hey Paul, would you be willing to get on the forum from your tablet and call me at the same time so that I can snag your user agent data?

Can you tried selecting the mobile theme? I hear that works..

sure, from home later. thanks for the info.

n2ize
06-12-2012, 12:16 PM
You know you can build an Android distro from source, right?

Sounds good.

You'll just lack the Google Framework, which is not, nor will never be, GPL licensed.

Thats a bummer. :(

KC2UGV
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Sounds good.

Yes. Android itself, is open source.

Thats a bummer. :(

You don't need the Google Framework. It is just the google-parts (GMail, Market ,etc etc). You can, however, download them from Google, and install. You just can't see the source code for it.

n2ize
06-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes. Android itself, is open source.

You don't need the Google Framework. It is just the google-parts (GMail, Market ,etc etc). You can, however, download them from Google, and install. You just can't see the source code for it.

So in other words I can download and compile it and use it and then if I want added functionality I can install only the Google components that I need (or want). Not bad. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

KC2UGV
06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
So in other words I can download and compile it and use it and then if I want added functionality I can install only the Google components that I need (or want).

More or less. Except for the "Google Components I need or want". It's kind of complicated, but you can't have GMail without the Market (And some other parts).

Not bad. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Not bad at all :)