PDA

View Full Version : TIL :: Android/iOS Echolink

W4GPL
06-10-2012, 01:01 AM
TIL, there's an Android Echolink app..

:clap:

Nice job, whoever wrote this thing! I'm not much of an Echolink guy, but every once in awhile it's useful to jump on a repeater with someone who wants to test out their rig.. or just play around for a minute.

I'll never use Echolink on my computer again as long as this thing keeps working well.

FWIW, I used it on my 3G connection, not WiFi and had absolutely no performance issues. Also works with my earbuds with built in microphone.

W4GPL
06-10-2012, 01:10 AM
There's an iOS app too. Spiffy.

WØTKX
06-10-2012, 06:56 AM
But, but, but... is it legal for Field Day? :snicker:

suddenseer
06-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Will it work on I-Phone?

W4GPL
06-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Yup.

suddenseer
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I am trying to convince my bf to get his Tech ticket. he noted that we have cell phones. Why would we need to communicate on a frequency that everyone can listen to. I offered if the cell phones die, our HT's might work. He then countered, "I don't want to live in that world"

KC2UGV
06-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I am trying to convince my bf to get his Tech ticket. he noted that we have cell phones. Why would we need to communicate on a frequency that everyone can listen to. I offered if the cell phones die, our HT's might work. He then countered, "I don't want to live in that world"

You said he's kinda nerdy? I'm actually quite surprised.

You could try to show him some digital modes. It's what got me steered into ham radio, myself. Mainly the HSMM project.

N7YA
06-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I know it violates the principles and raises the hair on the back of some hams (yes...hair on the back) to use modes that arent what they grew up using, and would somehow be looked at as not "real" ham radio.

The way i see it, if you are keeping your ticket active, you are a good person and basically follow the rules, especially the gentlemens agreements, and are simply and truly having fun communicating with other licensed hams...then these are ALL great ideas.

NQ6U
06-10-2012, 04:25 PM
The way i see it, if you are keeping your ticket active, you are a good person and basically follow the rules, especially the gentlemens agreements, and are simply and truly having fun communicating with other licensed hams...then these are ALL great ideas.

Not me. Echolink is teh ebil. So are them digital modes. Nothin' but a bunch of annoying whistles. And then there's that "SSB" stuff, what's that about? Makes people sound like Donald Duck. None o' them newfangled modes for me.

N7YA
06-10-2012, 04:56 PM
...and dont forget to GET OFF MY LAWN!!