PDA

View Full Version : Question about using a snake for plumbing experts.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I've got a clog in the drain somewhere below where the sink drain and tub drains meet. Water from the sink backs up into the tub. Had this same situation in another apartment & when I tried to use a snake it went all the way down (or maybe up?) & I didn't find any clog. A couple of years later a pro plumber snaked that drain nice and clean -- I musta been doing something wrong.

I'm tempted to try it again here myself, but with reservations. Are snakes safe for amateur (plumbers), or am I well advised to have the landlord do this?

WN9HJW
06-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Deleted

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks. Some google-fu may have provided an answer. Said to go in through the overflow drain. I was going in through the tub drain.

KG4CGC
06-09-2012, 09:59 AM
<snip> How it got in there is anyone's guess.
KIDS!
Tell your kids, DRAINS ARE NOT TOYS!
Apologies if she has no kids.

Here's one. Wait until you have to fix a clog of someone else's pubic hair and you can identify the OWNERS by the color and texture.

KB3LAZ
06-09-2012, 10:02 AM
KIDS!

Here's one. Wait until you have to fix a clog of someone else's pubic hair and you can identify the OWNERS by the color and texture.

My brother had to get a toy car out of the toilet because his three year old decided to stuff it down there. That was a pain in the ass. Had to remove the toilet as the car was stuck in the ¿neck? Also, he once decided to flush a bar of soap. Less a pain but still not treat.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 10:09 AM
One thought as I was trying that time was what if it ws going up someone else's toilet and someone was sitting on it?

KG4CGC
06-09-2012, 10:12 AM
One thought as I was trying that time was what if it ws going up someone else's toilet and someone was sitting on it?

Depends. Others would be having back ups?

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
KIDS!

And just as I was leaving for brunch. :yuck: Thanks, Charles, you made my day! Nah, I'll stop by the hardware store on my way.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Depends. Others would be having back ups?

Depends may be what's down there!

Not mine, tho'. I may be be an OF and getting more "O" all the time, but I'm not there yet.

N8YX
06-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Get yourself one of these:

http://www.remodelr.com/Prod/General-Wire-KR-A-Kinetic-Water-Ram/RM8185/Cat/457?gclid=CKHwscO5wbACFeEDQAodlya0iw

I bought a complete kit on eBay a couple years back. Best $200 I ever spent...has paid for itself a dozen times over.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the tip. I've seen those and they look far easier and safer, and probably much less messy. But I don't see how that would help in this situation. Wouldn't that "burst of compressed air" just go uselessly out another hole? Like the overflow drain?

N8YX
06-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the tip. I've seen those and they look far easier and safer, and probably much less messy. But I don't see how that would help in this situation. Wouldn't that "burst of compressed air" just go uselessly out another hole? Like the overflow drain?
Get yourself a strong helper to hold a wet rag or towel over the overflow. Make sure you have filled drain and overflow with water before discharging the shot, so it has something to work against.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks. Thought it was something like that. But now, no matter, got a snake and problem is fixed. No backup from the sink & now I'll be able to take a shower without winding up knee-deep in water. Sweet!

AND...now I know this is really a non-problem....easily and quickly fixed. The snake was $22.95 from my friendly neighborhood mom & pop hardware store. And the guy I got it from echoed the comments here & on the web. Will be safe & go in through the overflow.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 01:16 PM
And let me be the first to say it. See what happens when you're a long haired hippie?

NQ6U
06-09-2012, 01:21 PM
And let me be the first to say it. See what happens when you're a long haired hippie?

You forgot about the LSD-smoking part.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
You're right....thanks for the addition, Carl!

NQ6U
06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
You're right....thanks for the addition, Carl!

You're welcome. Now, go get a haircut.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 02:02 PM
gfy

K7SGJ
06-09-2012, 03:38 PM
For those "stubborn" clogs, a cherry bomb is very effective. And I guarantee that anyone on the upstairs crapper will notice.

As far as snaking a drain goes, I've had my best luck going down the roof vent if it's a single story, and you have access. It's usually a straight shot down without traps and stuff unless you had a creative plumber do the install.

kf0rt
06-09-2012, 03:49 PM
gfy

That's the spirit. :rofl:

NQ6U
06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
gfy

As Principal Poop once said:

"Thank you! And fuck you too! ;)

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 04:56 PM
And the thread about cleaning out pipes in the drain goes down the drain. Well, now that the gate's open, guess my long hippie hair was the source of the problem.

NQ6U
06-09-2012, 04:58 PM
And the thread about cleaning out pipes in the drain goes down the drain. Well, now that the gate's open, guess my long hippie hair was the source of the problem.

Maybe, but even my short straight guy hair clogs 'em too. Hair is the natural enemy of drains—ask any plumber.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 05:00 PM
For those "stubborn" clogs, a cherry bomb is very effective. And I guarantee that anyone on the upstairs crapper will notice.

As far as snaking a drain goes, I've had my best luck going down the roof vent if it's a single story, and you have access. It's usually a straight shot down without traps and stuff unless you had a creative plumber do the install.

Probably N/A here. Didn't have all that much trouble getting the snake down there. Just had to learn that patient, slow cranking with moderate steady pressure will eventually catch and get past any difficult places.

K7SGJ
06-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Maybe, but even my short straight guy hair clogs 'em too. Hair is the natural enemy of drains—ask any plumber.
I hear the short curly hairs are the ones that wrap around the pipes and cause all the trouble.

W5GA
06-09-2012, 07:06 PM
What's the last sound heard before one of those short and curlies goes down the drain?

A. Ptuuiii

n2ize
06-09-2012, 08:05 PM

In my old high school "the sea creature" (that;s what the kid was called) flushed a blockbuster down the toilet ans it blew in the drain and started a massive leak. We were in the bleachers smoking heavilly opiated pot and drinking 100 proof scotch and "the creature" claims he did it. Those were the days when school was cool and all the cool students were stoners.

N2CHX
06-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Get yourself one of these:

http://www.remodelr.com/Prod/General-Wire-KR-A-Kinetic-Water-Ram/RM8185/Cat/457?gclid=CKHwscO5wbACFeEDQAodlya0iw

I bought a complete kit on eBay a couple years back. Best $200 I ever spent...has paid for itself a dozen times over.

I've seen those that use .22 blanks.

kf0rt
06-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I've seen those that use .22 blanks.

I got a hammer that uses those. It'll drive a 3" nail into cement with one whack. Please use hearing and eye protection.

WØTKX
06-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Snakes in a Drain! AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh!

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2010/3/9/16/snakes-in-a-drain-10981-1268171815-26.jpg

NA4BH
06-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Hair is the natural enemy of drains—ask any plumber.

Ask the postman
Hi Mr.Smith

NQ6U
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Ask the postman

Ask the mail man
Ask the milk man, white with foam!