PDA

View Full Version : Riding to Pittsburgh today.

N2CHX
06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Family stuff. I was going to take the car but it's well overdue for an oil change (and being a Prius hubs has always had it done at the dealership). So I'll be doing 500 miles on my Ninja today. Wish me and my back luck.

KG4CGC
06-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Family stuff. I was going to take the car but it's well overdue for an oil change (and being a Prius hubs has always had it done at the dealership). So I'll be doing 500 miles on my Ninja today. Wish me and my back luck.

Good luck and stay safe. ☺
I did 246 miles yesterday to Mount Mitchel and back home on a 50 so enjoy the ride while your doing whatever it is you need to do. ☺

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Probably headed out to Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks, FD Weekend! Got a ticket for the Tigers/Pirates & an invite from Ron to his FD site. Looking forward to it.

N8YX
06-09-2012, 10:22 AM
On a stock seat...good luck with that! A co-worker recently did a 50CC (50hrs, coast-to-coast) ride as part of the Iron Butt awards program. He made it in 48, and his aftermarket saddle really helped.

KC9ECI
06-09-2012, 11:00 AM
I had a Katana for a while. I will never understand how anyone with balls can ride a crotch rocket. In any event, good luck to you and your back. 500 miles in the saddle is a long day.

suddenseer
06-09-2012, 12:05 PM
You are gonna be sore. My best.

N2CHX
06-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Well, I made it. Had a great day. Left around 12:30 AM and arrived home at just about 5 this morning . Logged over 500 miles. My butt doesn't hurt, but my shoulders do, from the backpack.

KC9ECI
06-10-2012, 11:00 AM
+1 for a bike with saddlebags.

N2CHX
06-10-2012, 11:03 AM
+1 for a bike with saddlebags.

Yeah, tell me about it. I don't want to get rid of the Ninja because it's great for buzzing around town and trips up to 60 miles or so, but I'm thinking about something better suited for long trips. Nothing like 9,500 RPM against your twat for 550 miles though. I won't need sex for weeks now.

KC2UGV
06-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Yeah, tell me about it. I don't want to get rid of the Ninja because it's great for buzzing around town and trips up to 60 miles or so, but I'm thinking about something better suited for long trips. Nothing like 9,500 RPM against your twat for 550 miles though. I won't need sex for weeks now.

lol

Friend of mine just bungee cords the backpack to the back area somewhere on the bike. He told me not to bother trying to wear a back pack for riding, it'll kill you.

N2CHX
06-10-2012, 11:17 AM
lol

Friend of mine just bungee cords the backpack to the back area somewhere on the bike. He told me not to bother trying to wear a back pack for riding, it'll kill you.

I have a little net hold-down thingy that Dan bought me last year and I had it with me. I had enough stuff on board that the net had a load and so did the backpack. Saddle bags really are a necessity for a long trip like that.

suddenseer
06-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah, tell me about it. I don't want to get rid of the Ninja because it's great for buzzing around town and trips up to 60 miles or so, but I'm thinking about something better suited for long trips. Nothing like 9,500 RPM against your twat for 550 miles though. I won't need sex for weeks now.I was always curious about that. How would a 2 cylinder American made make you feel? My brother left me his low rider 80 cubic inch when he died. i sold it to pay for a legal retainer. i want to ride again.

N8YX
06-10-2012, 11:48 AM
How would a 2 cylinder American made make you feel? My brother left me his low rider 80 cubic inch when he died. i sold it to pay for a legal retainer. i want to ride again.
Made after the early 90's, and regularly maintained...doable for a woman.

Prior to that? You had better have a knowledgeable support staff (spouse or friend who wrenches) and a chase van. Especially in the case of a Shovelhead and anything older, though parts are getting hard to find for certain early model Evo-engined offerings.

A few friends of mine work for The Motor Company and most commute to summertime rallies, events and corporate-sponsored demo rides on their bikes. To a man (and woman), everything ridden is either a late-model Evo or Twin-Cam engined Ultra Classic or Tour Glide. Each owns a number of older Big Twins but they don't get taken on the road.

WØTKX
06-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Screw that. Suzuki C90T.

N2CHX
06-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I was always curious about that. How would a 2 cylinder American made make you feel? My brother left me his low rider 80 cubic inch when he died. i sold it to pay for a legal retainer. i want to ride again.

Seems kinda small >giggle<

NQ6U
06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Screw that. Suzuki C90T.

Yeah, but they don't leak oil like a Harley. Oh, wait, that's a good thing...

W3WN
06-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Sorry I missed you. I didn't even have the computer on until this afternoon, just busy with family things.

suddenseer
06-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Seems kinda small >giggle<80 cubic inch displacement is 1340 CC. I had a 900 Kawasaki, the HD made me feel manly. I got hit on alott too. from men and women. My next bike will be another HD. No one hit on me when i rode rice burners.

N2CHX
06-11-2012, 04:15 AM
80 cubic inch displacement is 1340 CC. I had a 900 Kawasaki, the HD made me feel manly. I got hit on alott too. from men and women. My next bike will be another HD. No one hit on me when i rode rice burners.

Ah, OK. I noticed you said inch but thought maybe it was a typo. That's a big bike. Probably way too much bike for me but it sounds like a nice ride. As for getting hit on, lol when people aren't busy trying to kill me at intersections, I do often get nice comments from people, both men and women. Women usually say something about girl power and men compliment my ride or say something about how it's a nice day for a ride. Guys at gas stations are particularly chatty.

N8YX
06-11-2012, 06:45 AM
80 cubic inch displacement is 1340 CC. I had a 900 Kawasaki, the HD made me feel manly. I got hit on alott too. from men and women. My next bike will be another HD. No one hit on me when i rode rice burners.
My friend...you really need to read and digest the following:

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/main.htm

And if you can't get hit on while riding a sport bike at certain venues - college-related activites and urban rallies being only two - you are doing something seriously wrong.

N2CHX
06-11-2012, 07:09 AM
My friend...you really need to read and digest the following:

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/main.htm

And if you can't get hit on while riding a sport bike at certain venues - college-related activites and urban rallies being only two - you are doing something seriously wrong.

OMFG!! That site is freakin' hilarious. TY!

W3WN
06-11-2012, 07:31 PM
So Kelli, how did you enjoy the Melissa Ethridge performance?

N2CHX
06-11-2012, 08:31 PM

What?

KG4CGC
06-11-2012, 09:20 PM
If you're ever in this part of the country on your bike, check out NC Hwy 80 and the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you want tome more hardcore twisties, make your way south to Hwy 276 over Cesar's Head.

N2CHX
06-11-2012, 09:39 PM

LOL, you think I went to PGH for a concert? No, actually it was for my son's graduation. It was a great time and for the first time in five years I'm getting along perfectly well with my ex. Win and win.

N2CHX
06-11-2012, 09:43 PM
If you're ever in this part of the country on your bike, check out NC Hwy 80 and the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you want tome more hardcore twisties, make your way south to Hwy 276 over Cesar's Head.

I'm considering trading in the Ninja for a Honda CBR 600. I'd do a trip that far on the bigger bike. I have a bunch of friends I'd like to visit down there too, including you. Especially if I'm possibly moving to the west coast. I want to see all my friends, old and newer, before I do that.

NQ6U
06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm considering trading in the Ninja for a Honda CBR 600. I'd do a trip that far on the bigger bike. I have a bunch of friends I'd like to visit down there too, including you. Especially if I'm possibly moving to the west coast. I want to see all my friends, old and newer, before I do that.

Where on the West Coast might you be moving, Kelli?

N2CHX
06-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Where on the West Coast might you be moving, Kelli?

Bay area. Several reasons. First, because I'm not tolerating extreme cold in winter and high humidity very well these days. Two of my kids also have asthma, as does my ex, so we would all benefit from the climate change. Second, both Dan and I would have better job opportunities in our fields there. I would do engineering again and Dan would do his emergency management thing. Third, half of our family will move with us because my SIL can move there with her job, as can my ex. Fourth, because two of my children are extremely talented in the arts and my son seriously wants to be in film production for a career. They'd have better opportunities to at least get a foot in the door there than here in Buffalo.

Dan's best friend that he has known since childhood lives there too. Moved there two years ago.

Right now it's just a little more than an idea. It could be 2-5 years before it actually happens.

NQ6U
06-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Well, kewl! I grew up in the Bay Area and still have lots of family there. If you move there, it's almost a certainty that we'd get a chance to meet up sooner or later.

N8YX
06-12-2012, 07:13 AM
I have a suggestion regarding bikes, given the fact you're tall enough to handle one of these:

Cut straight to the chase and pick up a Suzuki SV1000, a Kawasaki Versys or an older Concours. A Connie made from 2003-2007 is a capable machine and you have the resources of COG to keep you on the road.

Yamaha's FJR1300 is another good choice if you can find one reasonably priced.

As far as I'm concerned, Honda lost me as a customer when they dropped the Valkyrie in favor of (yawn...) yet another V-twin clone, coupled with the fact that their two wonderful supersport touring platforms - the CBR1000 and ST1100 - were reduced to one, the ST1300...which IMNSHO handles like a pig.

And the older I get, the less I want a new Gold Wing - though I think the pre-'88 models are still cool. Especially the Standards (non-bagged version).

W3WN
06-12-2012, 08:07 AM
LOL, you think I went to PGH for a concert? No, actually it was for my son's graduation. It was a great time and for the first time in five years I'm getting along perfectly well with my ex. Win and win.Ah.

Yes, I thought that. This weekend was pretty busy... last weekend of the Arts Festival, several graduations, home Pirates series, and the annual Pride March & related activities, which this year included a live performance by Melissa Ethridge. Whole mishagosh took place a couple of blocks from my workplace... needless to say, I was glad I didn't have to drive dowtown this weekend!

W3WN
06-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Bay area. Several reasons. First, because I'm not tolerating extreme cold in winter and high humidity very well these days. Two of my kids also have asthma, as does my ex, so we would all benefit from the climate change. Second, both Dan and I would have better job opportunities in our fields there. I would do engineering again and Dan would do his emergency management thing. Third, half of our family will move with us because my SIL can move there with her job, as can my ex. Fourth, because two of my children are extremely talented in the arts and my son seriously wants to be in film production for a career. They'd have better opportunities to at least get a foot in the door there than here in Buffalo.

Dan's best friend that he has known since childhood lives there too. Moved there two years ago.

Right now it's just a little more than an idea. It could be 2-5 years before it actually happens.Ah, I'm almost afraid to ask this, but isn't San Diego in the bay area, or do I have my geography messed up?

NQ6U
06-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Ah, I'm almost afraid to ask this, but isn't San Diego in the bay area, or do I have my geography messed up?

You have your geography mixed up—but only by about 500 miles.

http://www.destination360.com/maps/california-map.gif

KG4CGC
06-12-2012, 09:32 AM

http://www.destination360.com/maps/california-map.gif
California is a hellofva state. Long called the land of fruit and nuts by the rightwingers, I think they forget how hardcore the rightwingers are in that state.

N2CHX
06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Well, kewl! I grew up in the Bay Area and still have lots of family there. If you move there, it's almost a certainty that we'd get a chance to meet up sooner or later.

Cool :-)

N2CHX
06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I have a suggestion regarding bikes, given the fact you're tall enough to handle one of these:

Cut straight to the chase and pick up a Suzuki SV1000, a Kawasaki Versys or an older Concours. A Connie made from 2003-2007 is a capable machine and you have the resources of COG to keep you on the road.

Yamaha's FJR1300 is another good choice if you can find one reasonably priced.

As far as I'm concerned, Honda lost me as a customer when they dropped the Valkyrie in favor of (yawn...) yet another V-twin clone, coupled with the fact that their two wonderful supersport touring platforms - the CBR1000 and ST1100 - were reduced to one, the ST1300...which IMNSHO handles like a pig.

And the older I get, the less I want a new Gold Wing - though I think the pre-'88 models are still cool. Especially the Standards (non-bagged version).

I really don't want a huge bike. I actually like the size and weight of the Ninja most of the time. I just think long trips at high speed are hard on it. I want that good gas mileage. Nothing less than 60 mpg. I dunno, maybe I'm not considering everything.

N2CHX
06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Ah.

Yes, I thought that. This weekend was pretty busy... last weekend of the Arts Festival, several graduations, home Pirates series, and the annual Pride March & related activities, which this year included a live performance by Melissa Ethridge. Whole mishagosh took place a couple of blocks from my workplace... needless to say, I was glad I didn't have to drive dowtown this weekend!

I can imagine! Buffalo likes to schedule several things at once too. Downtown is already a nightmare on a normal day. With two or more events going? Forget it.

But yeah, I was about 25 miles outside the city for the party and then at my ex's house until about midnight, just hanging out and chatting. I barely even remember the ride home, lol.

N2CHX
06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Ah, I'm almost afraid to ask this, but isn't San Diego in the bay area, or do I have my geography messed up?

Hell will freeze over before I move closer than 500 miles to that.

N8YX
06-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I really don't want a huge bike. I actually like the size and weight of the Ninja most of the time. I just think long trips at high speed are hard on it. I want that good gas mileage. Nothing less than 60 mpg. I dunno, maybe I'm not considering everything.
The Connie and Versys can tour well, but the latter of the two is a more nimble around-town proposition. It can be fitted with bags and a trunk if desired. On the other hand, the C10's stock bags can easily be removed and the bike used as a commuter.

You want big? My Valkyrie Interstate tips the scales at ~900lbs with fluids and a full gas tank. Once in motion, the bike feels half its size - and I've ridden middleweights which felt a lot larger than they actually are. Chassis setup is everything. The bikes I mentioned are correctly appointed right out of the box, although Progressive-brand shocks and fork springs will turn a good motorcycle into a great one.

N2CHX
06-12-2012, 11:08 AM
The Connie and Versys can tour well, but the latter of the two is a more nimble around-town proposition. It can be fitted with bags and a trunk if desired. On the other hand, the C10's stock bags can easily be removed and the bike used as a commuter.

You want big? My Valkyrie Interstate tips the scales at ~900lbs with fluids and a full gas tank. Once in motion, the bike feels half its size - and I've ridden middleweights which felt a lot larger than they actually are. Chassis setup is everything. The bikes I mentioned are correctly appointed right out of the box, although Progressive-brand shocks and fork springs will turn a good motorcycle into a great one.

I may have to shop around a bit and do some test-driving. I did like the feel of a couple of 600's I've ridden. We actually have an old Honda CX-500, but it only has a 2 gallon tank and right now, an oil leak I need to fix.

W3WN
06-12-2012, 12:38 PM

http://www.destination360.com/maps/california-map.gifI see. Thanks for the correction; I wouldn't want to read about Kelli in the paper one day, 500 miles should be sufficient distance.

N2CHX
06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I see. Thanks for the correction; I wouldn't want to read about Kelli in the paper one day, 500 miles should be sufficient distance.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure if it is.

KG4CGC
06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Think I know what this means.

N8YX
06-12-2012, 02:05 PM
'ITV's avatar has more than a little significance here.

NQ6U
06-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Quite honestly, I'm not sure if it is.

ABNS's eyesight is so poor she needs help negotiating a crowded room. She's all talk and no real threat to anyone.

N2CHX
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29_lhRjuuw

KC2UGV
06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
She's all talk and no real threat to anyone.

It's what I've known for a long time. But, then again, generally speaking, that's how it goes with hams (Generally speaking).

W3WN
06-12-2012, 06:42 PM
< snip > She's all talk and no real threat to anyone.I strongly suspect you're right, but why look for trouble?