PDA

View Full Version : 5 common items found at your local butcher

KB3LAZ
06-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Can you name 5 of the most common items found at your local butcher? I bet they differ from region to region, and country to country but not so much as here. =)

Yes, for awhile this blew my mind but now it is a common thing.

I will start.

Horse meat, Cow tongue, Cow testicles, Pigs feet, and rabbit brain.

Your turn. (Yes, these are common items not rarities.)

NQ6U
06-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Gato, perro, mofeta, comadreja y pereza (tres puntas).

KB3LAZ
06-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Gato, perro, mofeta, comadreja y pereza (tres puntas).
o.0

W3WN
06-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Can you name 5 of the most common items found at your local butcher? I bet they differ from region to region, and country to country but not so much as here. =)

Yes, for awhile this blew my mind but now it is a common thing.

I will start.

Horse meat, Cow tongue, Cow testicles, Pigs feet, and rabbit brain.

Your turn. (Yes, these are common items not rarities.)And that's no bull?

That's a hard one to quantify Trav. Locally, the one butcher shop closed up a few years ago (mini-mall that housed it was torn down for a highway project), and the other one... is more of a specialized gourmet-catering market than a butcher shop anymore. First place I ever saw a frozen, skinned rabbit, ready for cookin', though.

Then there's the place a couple of miles from here, across the highway from a couple of malls: The UnCommon Market. You want exotic meats? There you go...

KB3LAZ
06-08-2012, 01:50 PM
And that's no bull?

That's a hard one to quantify Trav. Locally, the one butcher shop closed up a few years ago (mini-mall that housed it was torn down for a highway project), and the other one... is more of a specialized gourmet-catering market than a butcher shop anymore. First place I ever saw a frozen, skinned rabbit, ready for cookin', though.

Then there's the place a couple of miles from here, across the highway from a couple of malls: The Common Market. You want exotic meats? There you go...

Nope, no BS, what I mentioned is rather common.

The horse I was told is a special kind of small horse made particularly to produce meat. Tried it, didnt much care for it. Pigs feet are not really a new thing as I have seen them before in the states. Tripe or cow tongue as well but less common. Rabbit brain threw me a curve ball and I have yet to bring myself to try it. Cow testicles are not on my list to try any time soon either.

Now, as for meat in general. Rabbits are sold head and all with the eyes and brain in. Chickens as well. Both of which are often cooked that way and no parts go to waste. The first few times this bothered me but you would be surprised how quick you get used to something.

Examples of things that took time to get used to.

Full head, feet, eyes, brain, etc on an animal when it is cooked. Just something about it looking at you when you eat it. Over that now.

Jamon. Which is basically salt cured pork. Like pig jerky. It comes in different forms. Soft, mild, hard. Soft is like raw bacon, mild is similar, and hard is like jerky which I have grown a taste for.

Pork and beef jaw is another thing that took some time for me to try but the meat is just out of this world tender.

Prawn, like large shrimp are served every which way you can think but always head on. Even when fried. I had never eaten the head of a shrimp but I now have. Not my cup of tea as it taste like brine. I will simply remove the head before I eat them. Octopus and squid served whole as babies. Cooked ofc. Fried, normally. Aside from the ink sack its quite good.

Goat is somewhat common here, more so up north. That as well as ox tail. Both of which are rather good.

So sea food markets and butchers shops are something that has taken time to get used to. As well as the food that is prepared from them. But once I opened my mind gradually and tasted some things I found out they were either not my thing or quite good but either way not the end of the world.

One thing they looked at me funny for. I asked for pounded pork belly. They asked me what I wanted that for. I didnt say it this way but Spanish bacon sucks. I wanted a something a little closer to home.

Now, I realize a lot of what I listed you can not eat but, you get the idea. That is one thing about the Moorish influence in Spain, there are a lot of alternatives to pork. Many of the dishes are substituted with chicken, goat, lamb, or ox. Now, I realize that you are not of Moorish decent but I think that the work arounds would suit the Jewish religion as well, to an extent. I really dont know what is and is not considered kosher. I do know that they bleed out the meat without removing anything before it is butchered or sold.

K7SGJ
06-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Mice, cockroaches, silverfish, and dung beetles. I got to find a new butcher store.

KB3LAZ
06-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Mice, cockroaches, silverfish, and dung beetles. I got to find a new butcher store.

I would say. Unless you find any of those to be appetizing.

kf0rt
06-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Around here, you can get just about anything you want, as long as it came from a cow, pig, chicken or turkey.

PA5COR
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Oxtail, pigsfeet, marrow bones, blood sausage, xmoked bacon

K7SGJ
06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Around here, you can get just about anything you want, as long as it came from a cow, pig, chicken or turkey.

Sounds a little like Alice's Restaurant.

KB3LAZ
06-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Oxtail, pigsfeet, marrow bones, blood sausage, xmoked bacon

I forgot marrow and blood sausage. QQ I cant get smoked bacon.

kf0rt
06-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Sounds a little like Alice's Restaurant.

Alice just takes those things and makes 'em better!

WN9HJW
06-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Deleted

KB3LAZ
06-09-2012, 04:42 AM
Knives, saws, meat grinders, meat hooks, and bandages.

We cant get any of that at the butcher store. We would have to go to a hardware or kitchen store.

WN9HJW
06-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Deleted

KB3LAZ
06-09-2012, 05:27 AM
The question you asked was items "found" at butcher store, not items you can purchase there.

Lol.

suddenseer
06-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Glad I am 99% vegan.

KB3LAZ
06-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Glad I am 99% vegan.

I dont think anything sold in the butcher shops here would be of much good to you. Save maybe the wine.

KG4CGC
06-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Various brands of packaged, nitrated meats contain the Cūlus de porc.

suddenseer
06-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I dont think anything sold in the butcher shops here would be of much good to you. Save maybe the wine.I don't eat the meat, the eggs, the dairy. 2 of my 3 health issues disappeared when I went vegan. YMMV.

kb2vxa
06-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Must be a rare delicacy... cow testicles? What's more surprising is that none of you caught it.

KB3LAZ
06-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Must be a rare delicacy... cow testicles? What's more surprising is that none of you caught it.

So-so. Everything else is very very common. Particularly rabbit brain.

KB3LAZ
06-10-2012, 03:06 AM
I don't eat the meat, the eggs, the dairy. 2 of my 3 health issues disappeared when I went vegan. YMMV.

I dont doubt that in the least. Beef and dairy are the hardest things on my stomach and digestive system. Next in line is citrus and tomatoes.

suddenseer
06-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I dont doubt that in the least. Beef and dairy are the hardest things on my stomach and digestive system. Next in line is citrus and tomatoes.I would never eat those two fruits in tandem.