PDA

View Full Version : Paella Revisited

KB3LAZ
06-06-2012, 06:17 AM
I have in the past mentioned Paella which is a dry rich dish that consists of either seafood, meat, or mixed. This is a dish that has become a weekly treat for me. Each weekend we go to the family country house and gather together for a lunch/dinner event that lasts into the wee hours of the night. Much of this time is spent cooking, eating, and drinking over conversation which is a very typical Sunday here in Spain.

IMO Paella is a great dish in all forms but none match the greatness of that my mother in-law makes on Sundays. I have tried Paella from various sources and I hold to that belief.

For those of you who do not know what Paella is; It is a dish made with (I will describe the particular type that is made in this family) Bomba rice, red sweet peppers, chickpeas, artichoke, tomatoes, rosemary, saffron, sweet paprika, salt, olive oil, water, rabbit, chicken, and duck. It is also topped off with fired prawns.

This dish should be cooked over a wood fire however many people use gas due to the heat restrictions and time consumption of wood. It starts off with a hot pain with olive oil where the prawns are friend and removed (whole but without whiskers). After this the veggies are added and fried and then some are removed for topping. With what is left of the veggies the seasonings are then added. After, the meat is added (pre-boiled), fried, and removed. Last the rice is added and fried. At this point everything except the extra veggie toppers and the prawns are re-added to the pan. The pan is then filled with just enough water to come to the top of the rice and let simmer for 15-20 mins until the water has evaporated. At that point the veggie toppers and prawns are placed on top of the dish. Then you are ready to serve.

Note: Saffron is rather pricey in the US. However, it only takes a few springs as it is a very powerful spice. You may pay 10$ for 15-20 springs of saffron but that is enough for 5-6 4 person meals.

At any point if anyone is interested in the recipe let me know. I should be able to get you measurements of what to use. However my MIL does everything by eye.

Anyone here aside from JTY (who is no longer around the site) ever had Paella? If so what were your thoughts? I suspect that Cor has had the opportunity to try Paella as well.

I will attach a picture of my MIL's homemade Paella below. (My apologies for the quality of the photo, we had a bit to drink and it was taken with a cell.)

KG4CGC
06-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Mmmmmm ... ...
Looks gooooooooooo ooo oooooooooood.
Had Spanish anchovies for the first time last month. DAMN! I could eat those all day. Normally, we just have the little brown ones that are excessively salted.
All this gives me an idea: Mahi Paella in a wrap.

WØTKX
06-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Yummy. Compare that to a typical "nacho platter".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xAygEV_nzw0/TIfK7b2ghsI/AAAAAAAABo0/V3auxNCeu-A/s1600/sausage+nacho+platter+006.jpg

KB3LAZ
06-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Mmmmmm ... ...
Looks gooooooooooo ooo oooooooooood.
Had Spanish anchovies for the first time last month. DAMN! I could eat those all day. Normally, we just have the little brown ones that are excessively salted.
All this gives me an idea: Mahi Paella in a wrap.

We always have leftovers and I make various things out of them. One day it was leftover Paella inside toasted pita with fresh grilled chicken, fried corn and black beans, topped with mixed Mexican style shredded cheese and Greek cucumber sauce.

WØTKX
06-06-2012, 07:58 AM
My YL has discovered I am the King of Leftovers. :lol:

KB3LAZ
06-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Yummy. Compare that to a typical "nacho platter".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xAygEV_nzw0/TIfK7b2ghsI/AAAAAAAABo0/V3auxNCeu-A/s1600/sausage+nacho+platter+006.jpg

My in-laws love it when I make nachos. That as well as baked, breaded, stuffed pork chops. Burgers, etc. We have fun cooking for one another. My friend, Leo likes to note that much of what I make seems to have either a Mexican, German, Italian, and most of all French influence. He ofc puts pride in the French influence being a Frenchmen.

I find that every time we go out for tapas there is something new to try. Often times they have a Moorish influence, which is obvious. For example, Pinchos Morunos: which is like a kebab but only pork. It has a special dry rub on it, quite good. Another thing I like a lot is chopitos which is simply a tiny shrimp sized squid breaded and deep fried whole.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Abisinios are quite good as well. It is basically a hard boiled egg battered in egg and pan fried.

KG4CGC
06-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Travis said, "cucumber sauce!"

KB3LAZ
06-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Travis said, "cucumber sauce!"

Roflmao. Homemade at that.