PDA

View Full Version : Fosters

KB3LAZ
06-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Fosters, Australian for laxative. Never again will you need magnesium citrate as long as you keep a can of Fosters on hand!

That is all.

(Did not really want to put this in the food and beverage section due to what might cause loss of appetite.)

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 08:59 AM
What happened to the Spanish beer?

KB3LAZ
06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
What happened to the Spanish beer?

Lol, we were at an Aussie pub and Fosters is what was on tap. I drink what is on tap.

W3WN
06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
That'll teach you.

One must be wary... just because they say it's on tap doesn't mean that what's on tap is what they say it is.

KB3LAZ
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
That'll teach you.

One must be wary... just because they say it's on tap doesn't mean that what's on tap is what they say it is.

Well, in most cases, Mahou is on tap. Either way, I never know because I order una caña. Simply a small draft with my lunch. This so happens to be most Saturdays. Last night was an odd occasion. Im not really a drinker but it seems that a beer with lunch is the norm here and I have grown used to that.

Damn kangaroo piss gave me the poops is all I know, lol.

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I like Corona, Stella and Blue moon.

KB3LAZ
06-05-2012, 09:58 AM

I like Stella and Blue moon but not corona.

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 11:23 AM
COrona is for when "all else fails."

KB3LAZ
06-05-2012, 11:26 AM
COrona is for when "all else fails."

Idk, most 12 packs here are 3-4€. Corona is actually more expensive as it is an import. Quite a bit more expensive.

KG4CGC
06-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I quitr Fosters about 20+ years ago when I bought a 6-pack that tasted like soap. Then about 4 years ago I quit Kirin Ichiban When it immediately gave me the chitz upon drinking it. I suspected a chemical like a soap. I figured that they used a tasteless soap to clean the vats and that they decided that the residue left behind was acceptable.
Diarrhea is one of the prices we pay for mediocrity.

NY3V
06-05-2012, 11:42 AM
British beer must be constipating.

Why else would they be so anal? ;)

KG4CGC
06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
British beer must be constipating.

Why else would they be so anal? ;)

The Brits I've met are all very open minded and accepting of people of all bents. They are damn friendly and honest about and with themselves.

NY3V
06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I should have said Krauts instead. ;)

Your opinion of Brits reminds me of NYC denizens.

KG4CGC
06-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I should have said Krauts instead. ;)

Your opinion of Brits reminds me of NYC denizens.

The Krauts take some getting used to. Often they take a few years to decompress when coming to America.

KC9ECI
06-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Ditto, but add Guinness to the top of that list.

HUGH
06-06-2012, 04:57 AM
I quitr Fosters about 20+ years ago when I bought a 6-pack that tasted like soap. Then about 4 years ago I quit Kirin Ichiban When it immediately gave me the chitz upon drinking it. I suspected a chemical like a soap. I figured that they used a tasteless soap to clean the vats and that they decided that the residue left behind was acceptable.
Diarrhea is one of the prices we pay for mediocrity.

Sodium Carbonate for cleaning, your "friendly" bar uses it as well to clean out the pipes. I'd hope it was well-rinsed, I know this because I owned a pub for a while. Managed to change the lager "style" from some foaming chemical to Red Stripe from Jamaica. Other beers strictly local.

kb2vxa
06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Fostah's, that's Oztraalyan foh soap, mate! My spies tell me nobody down under drinks that swill and they don't throw shrimp on the barbie either, they're prawns. Oh, when in Mexico don't drink the water, when in Japan don't drink the beer. This has GOT to be the worst panther piss I ever tasted, until I had the misfortune of tasting Sam Adams Boston Lager. Give me a cold Yuengling any day!

KB3LAZ
06-07-2012, 04:35 AM
Fostah's, that's Oztraalyan foh soap, mate! My spies tell me nobody down under drinks that swill and they don't throw shrimp on the barbie either, they're prawns. Oh, when in Mexico don't drink the water, when in Japan don't drink the beer. This has GOT to be the worst panther piss I ever tasted, until I had the misfortune of tasting Sam Adams Boston Lager. Give me a cold Yuengling any day!

I have buddies in Perth and Sydney and both say that Fosters is not of the norm but rather something marketed to Americans, lol.

N7YA
06-07-2012, 05:26 AM
I was just about to say, Fosters is not what they drink. They make it because we are used to drinking pisswater.

N7YA
06-07-2012, 05:33 AM
The Brits I've met are all very open minded and accepting of people of all bents. They are damn friendly and honest about and with themselves.

I agree. I love the Brits. Good folks. I heard from some Brits on holiday that its not very safe over there right now, crime is really bad in the smaller towns and hamlets, but tourists should be ok in the city...go figure.

VK3ZL
06-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Guess I had better put you right on this Travis....Never drink anything named Fosters....Wombat's piss....Like sucking cotton wool....Bloody horrible stuff and I believe we exported that crap to England and other unfortunate buggers years ago....Probably payback for all the whinging Poms who came to live here after WW2...Poms are like Piles....They come out easy but are hard to push back....Had to drop that in...:snicker:

If you want a good honest Aussie Beer try Victoria Bitter...That is really nice drop...You have to chill it to get the best flavor....Personally I prefer to drink Guinness Stout or my own home brew stout....Puts lead in yer pencil....In fact I drank so much of it in my younger days that the lead has given my pencil a permanent droop...Be wary in your young age and take note of my wisdom and you will live a long and happy life....:lies:

Bob..VK3ZL....

KB3LAZ
06-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Guess I had better put you right on this Travis....Never drink anything named Fosters....Wombat's piss....Like sucking cotton wool....Bloody horrible stuff and I believe we exported that crap to England and other unfortunate buggers years ago....Probably payback for all the whinging Poms who came to live here after WW2...Poms are like Piles....They come out easy but are hard to push back....Had to drop that in...:snicker:

If you want a good honest Aussie Beer try Victoria Bitter...That is really nice drop...You have to chill it to get the best flavor....Personally I prefer to drink Guinness Stout or my own home brew stout....Puts lead in yer pencil....In fact I drank so much of it in my younger days that the lead has given my pencil a permanent droop...Be wary in your young age and take note of my wisdom and you will live a long and happy life....:lies:

Bob..VK3ZL....

I have still yet to drink Guinness from the tap. Only from a can. Everyone tells me that is the wrong way. There is a pub in Alicante, Alicante that has like 500 types of beer. Pili wants to go there next weekend for a taste test. She is determined to turn me into a Spaniard. At first I didnt want a beer with my lunch, everyone found that odd as they normally have one with all meals. I asked but isnt that Alcoholism? They said, only to Americans, lol.

VK3ZL
06-07-2012, 06:27 AM
It is traditional in Mediterranean countries to have a glass of wine or other beverage with meals....I have always enjoyed my time with Italians who always had a roll of bread, a concoction of sausage and a big round of the best rich smelling cheese and a large carving knife....No plates, just break off some bread, cut a chunk of dong and a lump of cheese....Eat that and wash it down with a glass of RED that usually tasted like soldering fluid but left you happy and full....It is not alchoholism as such, just tradition....Now when we went to a bar in the evening, that was alcoholism, but I found Italians the happiest and friendliest people in the world and the most hospitable and I guess you will find the Spaniards very similar..I think it is the sunshine...

Bob..VK3ZL..

W4GPL
06-07-2012, 06:30 AM
My Aussie friend always says.. Fosters, Australian For Export.

KB3LAZ
06-07-2012, 06:59 AM
It is traditional in Mediterranean countries to have a glass of wine or other beverage with meals....I have always enjoyed my time with Italians who always had a roll of bread, a concoction of sausage and a big round of the best rich smelling cheese and a large carving knife....No plates, just break off some bread, cut a chunk of dong and a lump of cheese....Eat that and wash it down with a glass of RED that usually tasted like soldering fluid but left you happy and full....It is not alchoholism as such, just tradition....Now when we went to a bar in the evening, that was alcoholism, but I found Italians the happiest and friendliest people in the world and the most hospitable and I guess you will find the Spaniards very similar..I think it is the sunshine...

Bob..VK3ZL..

You just reminded me of something that at first struck me as odd but I have grown to like. Often times meals here are what are considered courses of tapas. Most of the time the first things brought to the table would be a cheese plate, a basket of bread, aioli de mayonesa (garlic, olive olil, and mayo), ground tomato, and beer. Ofc other plates are brought out as well "to order". But the odd part is that no one gets plates just a fork or a large toothpick. You just reach in and grab what you want. The first meal here seemed so outlandish to me. However, as I said I now like it.

One of the main things that I have learned about the Spaniards is that they are not near as formal as Americans, even less so than the Brits. If you want something, grab it, dont ask for it. Eating from the same plate is quite common. Etc. However, I have noticed that the mood is much lighter during meals and gatherings here.

I get told a thousand times a day that I say please and thank you way too much. Example, when being brought a drink by a waiter I say thank you. One guy explained to me that it was his job and there was no need to thank him. He then ofc asked me, by chance are you from the states. We had a good laugh and I go back there frequently.

So yes I agree, the people here are quite friendly (as in Italy. Cant wait to go back to Italy.) and really relaxed.

NQ6U
06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
My Aussie friend always says.. Fosters, Australian For Export.

Back in my heavy-drinking days, my friends and I used to refer to a can of Fosters as a Depth Charge.

W3WN
06-07-2012, 10:26 AM
My Aussie friend always says.. Fosters, Australian For Export.Isn't that like calling Coors Light a beer, instead of what it really is, Screwing in a Canoe?

KG4CGC
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Back in my heavy-drinking days, my friends and I used to refer to a can of Fosters as a Depth Charge.

Oil Can.

N7YA
06-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Good beer in the states is expensive and you have to drive a bit to get it, plus you have to know what it is you are after. The basic store bought variety here is mass marketed sour, pungent water, nothing more. Complete garbage and an insult to the long legacy of beer from around the world, spanning back thousands of years, including our early colonies...American beer is an embarassment!

NQ6U
06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Good beer in the states is expensive and you have to drive a bit to get it, plus you have to know what it is you are after. The basic store bought variety here is mass marketed sour, pungent water, nothing more. Complete garbage and an insult to the long legacy of beer from around the world, spanning back thousands of years, including our early colonies...American beer is an embarassment!

Twenty years ago I would have agreed with you on that. It's not so much the case any more, although it's true that the many decent American brews are not as readily available as the cheap pisswater Bud/Miller crap.

KG4CGC
06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Twenty years ago I would have agreed with you on that. It's not so much the case any more, although it's true that the many decent American brews are not as readily available as the cheap pisswater Bud/Miller crap.

Newcastle Brown Ale has gone the road of crap beer at a premium price. Wasn't always like that with them.
Young people today don't know what beer is. Drinking Four Loko and calling it beer? I guess when your mother raises you on Capri Sun etc, you'll drink sewage and enjoy it.

N8YX
06-07-2012, 04:44 PM
This right here:

Or this:

Or this:

Anything else simply isn't worth drinking. Except for the two stouts suddenseer gave me. The jury is still out, as the bottles are still full.

KG4CGC
06-07-2012, 04:50 PM
That reminds me of Flying Dog. Not too shabby. The porter was a bit thin though.

N7YA
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Again, boutique beers...expensive and you have to look for them. Ours is a nation of corner-cutting these days. get away with what you can in the manufacturing end and make a larger profit margin, beer is one of those victims.

N8YX
06-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Again, boutique beers...expensive and you have to look for them. Ours is a nation of corner-cutting these days. get away with what you can in the manufacturing end and make a larger profit margin, beer is one of those victims.
The Thirsty Dog varieties are actually reasonable in price and are brewed right here...a high-school acquaintance/former gEEk is their brewmeister. Took a look at the corporate world, said fuggit; I wanna brew beer...and many of their offerings are the result.

Victory Brewing's wares are affordable by the case. Last case of Storm King I bought ran me $36, and the average person only needs a couple bottles to set him or her flat on their ass.

KG4CGC
06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
The Sierra Nevada brand had some nice offerings. They all tasted prime in the 90s. Since then I've heard that the owner has turned into a pretty shitty asshole. Going to war with other companies like Mendocino Brewing Company.
Shameful really. He's forgotten what made him rich and popular.

Now here's a name you may remember, Blatz. Ever had Blatz beer? There's some truth in the name as it describes the sounds emanating from your backside not too much later after consuming some.

Carling Black Label! Long time no see.

N8YX
06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Now here's a name you may remember, Blatz. Ever had Blatz beer? There's some truth in the name as it describes the sounds emanating from your backside not too much later after consuming some.

We termed that effect the "Blatz Splats".

Old Dutch. (Old Douche?)

Iron CityShitty.

Hudepohl. A regional concoction, and y'all are damned lucky the stuff never made it out of the area.

KG4CGC
06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
You know what bothers me about a lot of the pale ales? Too salty. Especial IPA. More thirsty after having one than I was before. Is the salinity supposed to add body? I could do without it. Ranger IPA is an exception.
Samuel Adams had some brew that was super hoppy. Now that stuff was a treat. I forgot the name but a 4 pack was 9 bucks.

N8YX
06-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Samuel Adams had some brew that was super hoppy. Now that stuff was a treat. I forgot the name but a 4 pack was 9 bucks.
Whitewater IPA.

A 12-pack is 15 bucks here.

NQ6U
06-07-2012, 06:06 PM
The Sierra Nevada brand had some nice offerings. They all tasted prime in the 90s. Since then I've heard that the owner has turned into a pretty shitty asshole. Going to war with other companies like Mendocino Brewing Company.
Shameful really. He's forgotten what made him rich and popular.

Ken Grossman, yes. I was actually on a first-name basis with him and his SNBC co-founder, Paul Camusi at one time. There was an ugly split, Grossman came out on top and then turned into a real a-hole; he thinks he's hot shit but he's really nothing more than a big fish in a small pond—that pond being Chico, California. The way he treated my oldest and closest friend who was one of the people who helped him build up his current fancy brewery doesn't help his case with me either. The beer is still pretty decent but I don't buy it any more.

I've heard of Blatz but do not believe they ever sold it on the West Coast.

Carling Black Label! Long time no see.

KG4CGC
06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Whitewater IPA.

A 12-pack is 15 bucks here.

Our sin tax has a bigger dick than your sin tax.

N8YX
06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Our sin tax has a bigger dick than your sin tax.

On the other hand, Great Lakes' Nosferatu (red ale) and Siberian Night (Russian Stout) are $10/4 here.

KG4CGC
06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Bud and Miller products are all $6.99 a six pack here. Cheaper ''beers'' can be had. Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, etc.

NY3V
06-07-2012, 07:14 PM

I only serve "Milwaukee's Best".

N7YA
06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Glad i only drink coffee these days. Geez!

KC9ECI
06-07-2012, 07:33 PM
http://minhasbrewery.com/our-brews/premium-brews/boxer-lager

36 cans for $12 and 5% ABV. Clean, crisp, and palatable around the campfire with a wedge of lime. Occasionally with a wedge of lime, splash of tequila and some lite margarita mix.

NY3V
06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
http://minhasbrewery.com/our-brews/premium-brews/boxer-lager

36 cans for $12 and 5% ABV. Clean, crisp, and palatable around the campfire with a wedge of lime. Occasionally with a wedge of lime, splash of tequila and some lite margarita mix.

Wow! only $12 for 36 cans?

I pay that for 24 cans of Milwaukee's Best here. (& it's the cheapest in my grocery store)

KC9ECI
06-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Wow! only $12 for 36 cans?

I pay that for 24 cans of Milwaukee's Best here. (& it's the cheapest in my grocery store)

$12 if I buy it here in town. $11 if I'm in La Crosse and buy it at Woodmans.