PDA

View Full Version : Wireless routers can also be wired routers...

W1GUH
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
When I got the tablet I had to put in a wi-fi network; you can't do a wired connection with it. So I asked the guy what was a cheap router, and he sold me a Belkin. Works just fine & was easy to set-up. But I worry about security (even on a locked wi-fi network) and wondered if I could use both the wi-fi and wired. As it turned out the wireless router is also a wired router with four ports. Viola! I can use wired where I can, and only use the wireless connection where I have to.

Probably old news for almost everyone....

NQ6U
06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Probably old news for almost everyone....

Yep. Been using my wireless router that way for over five years. I did have to add a multi-port Ethernet hub to mine, though.

KC2UGV
06-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Yep. Been using my wireless router that way for over five years. I did have to add a multi-port Ethernet hub to mine, though.

Where did you find the hub? I can't find the 5 port units anymore, just 5 port switches (Hubs are handy from time to time).

W1GUH
06-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Got it at Best Buy, this one. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+N150+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-Port+Switch/2089361.p?id=1218309067806&skuId=2089361)

Does 5 port mean wireless + 4 wired? That's what it is.

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Most people today don't know the difference between a hub and a switch. I bet what Carlo has is a switch, not a hub.

n2ize
06-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Where did you find the hub? I can't find the 5 port units anymore, just 5 port switches (Hubs are handy from time to time).

I have a 5 Netlink 5 port hub. Well, it was originally a 5 port hub but lightning converted it into a 4 port hub. I'm not joking. I was sitting here one day during a storm and there was an intense flash, my antenna wire sparked, and instantly followed by a huge clap of thunder. When I calmed down I noticed I had no network connection. The lightning blew out the port my computer was plugged in to and it also burned out the on-board NIC in the computer. Since then I have to use a PCI plug in NIC and a different port on the hub. All the other ports work except for that one.

n2ize
06-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Most people today don't know the difference between a hub and a switch. I bet what Carlo has is a switch, not a hub.

A switch is like an intelligent hub. Rather than pass packets to all the nodes on the hub it passes them to the node to which they are addressed. This is faster and more efficient.

ab1ga
06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Not always faster; switches that store and forward will introduce additional latency. They also require a few extra steps to apply packet sniffers for troubleshooting, but overall I find them very convenient.

KC2UGV
06-05-2012, 08:57 AM
A switch is like an intelligent hub. Rather than pass packets to all the nodes on the hub it passes them to the node to which they are addressed. This is faster and more efficient.

True. However, sometimes, you just need a hub (Or, a very expensive switch that does port mirroring).

But, it's not always faster. Hubs are better for low-latency applications, due to a lack of logic in the switching fabric. Collision domains became the issue with hubs, and why people moved to switches.

NQ6U
06-05-2012, 09:29 AM

No, you're wrong, it's a hub. It's quite old, 10Base-T, but that's fast enough for an Internet connection. Just FYI, I used to build Ethernet networks for Mac-based companies in the printing industry so I'm not totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
No, you're wrong, it's a hub. It's quite old, 10Base-T, but that's fast enough for an Internet connection. Just FYI, I used to build Ethernet networks for Mac-based companies in the printing industry so I'm not totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

Well, most people I talk to interchange "switch" and "hub" frequently. I'm glad you know the difference.

10BaseT! I don't even think I have anything that uses that on my network, and it won't be fast enough for internet at my house either (50Mbps).

Last 10 meg device I had was the old vonage ATA.

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 09:40 AM
True. However, sometimes, you just need a hub (Or, a very expensive switch that does port mirroring).

They're not that expensive, but for a lab demo or a quick lash up I agree a hub is much better.

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 09:41 AM

Yep, I know this. I was referring to the fact that most laypeople don't know the difference. They just know that you plug RJ45s in them and computers can get on the internet.

KJ3N
06-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Same here. With 5 computers, 1 file server, 1 network printer, and at least 2 additional drops for the work bench, I went with a 16-port gigabit switch.

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I have a 24 port managed switch in the house and I am running out of ports.

WØTKX
06-05-2012, 11:21 AM
My three "main" computers run CAT6 and I have one spare connection for my work laptop for the VPN. I can do the VPN stuff fine over wireless, but the extra speed and security is a good thing. At work we use a bunch of HP 2510 and 3510 switches. We are upgrading soon, and I'm making noise to get one of those bad boys.

I leave wireless connections for my laptop and smartphones.

My D-Link fried recently, got almost 4 years out of it. They freak out in power failures sometimes, I lost a cheapo Belkin before that. Borrowed an "Oxygen" WiFi router for a bit, I have recently purchased a Cisco E2000, not hooked up yet. The Oxygen doesn't do "N", nor does it work at 5gig.

Really need to put a small UPS on the cable modem and router power. I have a very beefy unit on the main shack computer, and it never goes down, will power it for about 7 hours. Use that West Mountain battery charger/backup unit for the "main" radios as well.

NQ6U
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
it won't be fast enough for internet at my house either (50Mbps).

Actually, you may have a point here. My ISP has upped the connection speed considerably since I first set up my network. I should probably swap it out for a faster unit.

N2CHX
06-05-2012, 01:05 PM
http://mthruf.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/129210276484975182.jpg

n2ize
06-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm having a generator installed to automatically power the entire building if I lose power. The UPS's will only be required to spolice power for the short time frame between when the power goes out to when the generator starts up and switches into the mains, I want my systems to be able to operate at 100% capacity 24/7/365 despite any problems. It is critical that my infrastructure remain operational always.

W1GUH
06-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm having a generator installed to automatically power the entire building if I lose power. The UPS's will only be required to spolice power for the short time frame between when the power goes out to when the generator starts up and switches into the mains, I want my systems to be able to operate at 100% capacity 24/7/365 despite any problems. It is critical that my infrastructure remain operational always.

This gonna happen before or after you put up your dipole? :stickpoke:

Can't wait to work that great Viking!

KC2UGV
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Plan for 125% capacity then. Even 3 9's is expensive to engineer, even for a single home.

KJ3N
06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
This gonna happen before or after you put up your dipole? :stickpoke:

Oh, definitely after. :rofl:

W1GUH
06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Hmmmm...thinking about the expense of acquiring and maintaining UPS's. (BTW...my radio UPS is also a battery, a West Mountain PowerGate and a What? Meter.)

I know there's lots of opinion against laptops from some quarters, we all have our favorite ways of doing things. But, laptops never have a power-loss issue and all one has to do to maintain that is remember to keep the battery charged. And laptop batteries last longer (it would appear a LOT longer than storage batteries) and over time the costs of maintaining the two is probably greater for the storage battery. And that's for a hamfest special battery (low cost) of about 12 AH. The difference would be even greater with a bigger battery replaced with one at retail.

Just sayin' that this seems a pretty significant consideration when replacing a machine.

n2ize
06-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Hmmmm...thinking about the expense of acquiring and maintaining UPS's. (BTW...my radio UPS is also a battery, a West Mountain PowerGate and a What? Meter.)

I know there's lots of opinion against laptops from some quarters, we all have our favorite ways of doing things. But, laptops never have a power-loss issue and all one has to do to maintain that is remember to keep the battery charged. And laptop batteries last longer (it would appear a LOT longer than storage batteries) and over time the costs of maintaining the two is probably greater for the storage battery. And that's for a hamfest special battery (low cost) of about 12 AH. The difference would be even greater with a bigger battery replaced with one at retail.

Just sayin' that this seems a pretty significant consideration when replacing a machine.

On the other hand workstations are easier to upgrade and maintain. You also get more bang for the buck. Furthermore, if you are into building them yourself it is much easier and cheaper to buy a case, a mainboard and build up a workstation than a laptop. I can make a super powerful desktop/workstation for considerably less than I would pay for an equivalent in a laptop...

As far as batteries go I can get UPS replacement batteries pretty cheap, considerably less than the average laptop battery. And as far as total life goes a typical UPS batter lasts me about 2-4 years which is about the same life span your gooing to get with they typical laptop battery.

So which is better ? It depends on what you are doing. If you need to take the system portable or move it from place to place often then a laptop is probably the better way to go. On the other hand if the other issues I raised above are important than a desktop is probably the way to go. Frankly, in this day and age I think its probably a good idea to have both.

P.S. I remember back in the 1980's we marveled at having an Atari 800 in the house connected to a TV set that everyone shared. I was able to actually create programs and my folks could play games stored on single sided single density 5.25" floppy discs. That's the machine I used to write the program that eventually taught me morse code.

P.S. Why do they call them "desktops" when most people I know keep them anywhere but on the desk top ? I keep mine on a raised platform near the floor and very often the "desktop" system I am accessing might be in an entirely different part of the building.

W1GUH
06-06-2012, 06:23 AM
OTOH......;)

What maintenance do laptops need? Next to zero.

Desktops are heavy and bulky and need UPS's.

Desktops eat more power.

Upgrades? Got me there...but how many systems, excepting those that truly need state of the art performance, really need upgrading? The only thing you can't upgrade on a laptop is the processor and GPU...everything else IS easily upgradable.

Laptop are easy to move around.

For some systems, you won't need a separate monitor or keyboard.

If needed, laptops are much easier to ship.

etc...etc...etc...

UNCLE!

WØTKX
06-06-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm about to crack the case on my HP laptop. It's been around for about three years, and I'm sure it's got a fuzzy overcoat over enough things to impede airflow. And the keyboard needs a good cleaning. Pretty much the same with desktops OR laptops.

Have an APC external battery pack for my laptop, a 70Wh unit... and a 400W pure sinewave inverter.

Pretty set for "aux" power.

W1GUH
06-06-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm about to crack the case on my HP laptop. It's been around for about three years, and I'm sure it's got a fuzzy overcoat over enough things to impede airflow. And the keyboard needs a good cleaning. Pretty much the same with desktops OR laptops.

Have an APC external battery pack for my laptop, a 70Wh unit... and a 400W pure sinewave inverter.

Pretty set for "aux" power.

Why does a laptop need backup power? Isn't it built-in?

WØTKX
06-06-2012, 08:24 AM
You can keep running for much longer than the standard battery allows, without hassling with a recharge.
At low power settings I can get about 7 hours with the HP. The battery pack at least doubles that.

N2RJ
06-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I get 8 hours on my MacBook Pro easily. If I really push it I can get close to 10.

I agree on not needing UPSes for laptops. My UPSes are for other things - DVR, router/firewall, AT&T microcell etc.

We have a lot of 1-2 second outages here. WHat happens is that the overgrown brush and trees or maybe critters rub on power lines. They trip out and then either a recloser kicks in or we get switched to an alternate route. That's OK for keeping the lights on but wreaks havoc with these devices, especially the DVR. I would always recommend at least a small $30 UPS on a DVR.

n2ize
06-06-2012, 12:10 PM
OTOH......
;)
What maintenance do laptops need? Next to zero.

Things break in laptops. Not long ago I had to replace a blown fan in a laptop. replacing it was a major job. Took a few hours. had to completely strip the entire laptop apart. Same job would have taken 5 minutes on a desktop. Also, desktops give more flexibility with respect to expansion. There is more real-estate and more place for expansion cards, extra drives, etc. Also parts are generally less expensive.

Desktops are heavy and bulky and need UPS's.

But you generally don't carry them around. You don't need UPS's but they are handy.

Desktops eat more power.

True

Upgrades? Got me there...but how many systems, excepting those that truly need state of the art performance, really need upgrading? The only thing you can't upgrade on a laptop is the processor and GPU...everything else IS easily upgradable.

Depends what you are into. I find myself often wanting to upgrade things like the GPU. I also find I like to add additional cards. Due to the availability of mainboards with expansion slots this comes in very handy.

Laptop are easy to move around.

True

For some systems, you won't need a separate monitor or keyboard.

True

If needed, laptops are much easier to ship.

true

etc...etc...etc...

UNCLE![/QUOTE]

Generally I see no issue over which is better because most people have at least both. Everyone I know has at least two desktops and at least two or three laptops. I have 2 laptops and about 5 desktops. Most of us have the best of both worlds.

W4GPL
06-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Generally I see no issue over which is better because most people have at least both. Everyone I know has at least two desktops and at least two or three laptops. I have 2 laptops and about 5 desktops. Most of us have the best of both worlds.Whuuuuut? You're crazy. That's no where near my personal experience. I have a laptop, a tablet, a smart phone, and a NAS -- And a half assembled home theatre PC.

n2ize
06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Whuuuuut? You're crazy. That's no where near my personal experience. I have a laptop, a tablet, a smart phone, and a NAS -- And a half assembled home theatre PC.

Most of my friends have numerous desktops. One or two few have homebrew Beowulf clusters and workstation clusters. Others like me just accumulate old and new desktops and integrate them into networks for use as servers, storage, various specialized tasks, general workstations, terminals, etc. etc. And just about everyone I know has at least 2 laptops and maybe a tablet or two,

N2RJ
06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I would like to trim down to a laptop only but for the ham station I need a dedicated PC for contesting.

NQ6U
06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I would like to trim down to a laptop only but for the ham station I need a dedicated PC for contesting.

Yeah, I am forced to keep an XP machine out in the shack. Ham radio software is one place where the Mac is sadly lacking. There is a decent logging app but not much in the way of radio control software. I tried running HRD/DM780 using WINE under Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro but it was unstable.

n2ize
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Wow !! Guess they've got it down to a hi-tech science these days. In the old days we had our radio, a key or a mike, and our "contest / logging software" was a spiral bound notebook and a pencil. Back in those days hams were REQUIRED by FCC rules to keep a log and it had to be available for inspection by the FCC.

N2RJ
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I am forced to keep an XP machine out in the shack. Ham radio software is one place where the Mac is sadly lacking. There is a decent logging app but not much in the way of radio control software. I tried running HRD/DM780 using WINE under Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro but it was unstable.

Did you see lee WW2DX's website? www.machamradio.com

N2RJ
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Wow !! Guess they've got it down to a hi-tech science these days. In the old days we had our radio, a key or a mike, and our "contest / logging software" was a spiral bound notebook and a pencil. Back in those days hams were REQUIRED by FCC rules to keep a log and it had to be available for inspection by the FCC.

Yeah dude... if you don't have a computer you're not competitive these days. Nobody I know of uses manual dupe sheets anymore.

N2RJ
06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Back to the routers... and why I don't use their switches for anything serious. The switch fabric in most consumer broadband routers is total crap. The SoC can barely power the firewall/router functions... try passing gig traffic on all ports, the thing will choke. A decent web managed switch is not that expensive. But most home users won't really know the difference.

NQ6U
06-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Did you see lee WW2DX's website? www.machamradio.com

Yeah, I have. As good a site as one could hope for but, let's face it, when it comes to ham radio software the Mac comes in a distant third after Windows and Linux. I noticed that he had an article on WaveGuide which is interesting because I just downloaded it onto my iPhone—it's not bad, but it could use some refinement.

n2ize
06-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Yeah dude... if you don't have a computer you're not competitive these days. Nobody I know of uses manual dupe sheets anymore.

For me ham radio is a throwback to the past. and the analog world. I like to play around with the old stuff and get away from the computers, the Internet, and the digital world. I spend enough time around computers and fiddling with the bits and bytes. I like for a hobby or interest to take me away from the computers and the digital world for a while. I guess I like the hobby to remind me of the way it was. I still log stations I speak to on paper and transfer them to computer later on.

I'll put it this way. Day by day I struggle to get away from the computers and I cannot catch a break.

n2ize
06-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I have. As good a site as one could hope for but, let's face it, when it comes to ham radio software the Mac comes in a distant third after Windows and Linux. I noticed that he had an article on WaveGuide which is interesting because I just downloaded it onto my iPhone—it's not bad, but it could use some refinement.

Well, one solution is, of the software is lacking then write it. I don;t know much about programming on the Mac but I presume it's very similar to programming on Linux.

NQ6U
06-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Well, one solution is, of the software is lacking then write it. I don;t know much about programming on the Mac but I presume it's very similar to programming on Linux.

I'm not a programmer and have no interest in becoming one. I messed around with BASIC back in the day but that's about it.

n2ize
06-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm not a programmer and have no interest in becoming one. I messed around with BASIC back in the day but that's about it.

Another problem might also be that if it is software to control a particular radio you might need access to proprietary info that the companies may not want to release

W4GPL
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Hamlib is an excellent resource for the radio control protocols.