PDA

View Full Version : Thunder storms

W5GA
06-04-2012, 09:16 AM
NOTE TO SELF: From now on, when thunderstorms are present, unplug the tower motor!!!

We got hail with the storm, about half dollar size. The hail flipped the motor switch to lower the tower, but the rotor wasn’t aligned to allow it to come all the way down (T2X has to be aligned just so to fit inside), so it sat there with the rotor housing bolt ears resting on the top of the #3 section, pulling like hell until the storm had passed and I heard the motor. Don’t know yet if it hurt anything.

N8YX
06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I hate it when that happens. Hope everything turns out okay.

N7YA
06-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Maybe its time to upgrade to painters poles, Doug!

Twist, lower, storm passes, raise, twist, and not work nearly as much DX as the guy with the tower. :lol:

K7SGJ
06-04-2012, 03:41 PM
NOTE TO SELF: From now on, when thunderstorms are present, unplug the tower motor!!!

We got hail with the storm, about half dollar size. The hail flipped the motor switch to lower the tower, but the rotor wasn’t aligned to allow it to come all the way down (T2X has to be aligned just so to fit inside), so it sat there with the rotor housing bolt ears resting on the top of the #3 section, pulling like hell until the storm had passed and I heard the motor. Don’t know yet if it hurt anything.

Boy, that's a real pisser. I hope the damage, if any, is minimal. (After all, you want to be able to get on during the next contest and "clog" up all the bands, eh?)

kf0rt
06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Would some sort of limit switch fix that? Bummer, but seems like something that could do with a design change.

N7YA
06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Boy, that's a real pisser. I hope the damage, if any, is minimal. (After all, you want to be able to get on during the next contest and "clog" up all the bands, eh?)

DOH!!

KG4CGC
06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
It can be a real pisser but lesson learned.

W5GA
06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Would some sort of limit switch fix that? Bummer, but seems like something that could do with a design change.
No, but changing the rotor to something like a Ham IV instead of a T2X would. The Ham series will fit down inside regardless of beam heading.

N2RJ
06-05-2012, 08:42 AM
We had a lightning strike here a few weeks ago.

Killed the CI-V port in my ProIII along with a tower mounted receive preamp (for TV purposes). Those are known issues.

No other damage whatsoever. Good grounding works!