PDA

View Full Version : Houston we have a problem...

rot
06-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Ok..Let's just say I'm orbiting the moon in a 2001 Ford Ranger.
Everything is hunky dory.
Somehow in my orbit I was space chunked into the field here where I was dickin around...got out for a bit and the truck popped out of gear (automatic). Untethered, I watched my truck back down the hill into the woods to center punch a tree effin up the rear bumper and since the driver's side door was open..it was bent backwards to the point where it would never shut again.
No gross tree damage was done, nor any small animals sacrificed.
Beyond multiple f-bombs being expelled and for about $300 bucks I found a new door and bumper and it works ok.
Electro mirror work...electro windows fine..remote door look yadda yadda is OK...of course I don't have a key to manually lock the door, but no biggie. Open/close lined up well with the door. The bumper was no big and the tag lights work fine.
Just had an inspection, FWIW and that was a pass with no issues.

Now comes the fun part.
About 2 weeks ago..after shutting down and about 3 to 6 hrs of sitting...the effin Brake lights just come on along with the high mount stop light housed on the cab. It stays on until the battery drains or the door is reopened and shut.
Something is triggering the brake switch ( I rekkon) to change and I can not figure this one out.
This was my pop's truck and he passed in 2006. I thought it maybe him stomping the brakes from the nextworld, but I'm pretty sure he have the radio on as well.
Funkiness..I have no idea what to do now beyond taking it somewhere to sit in obervation mode and hope it triggers againlike it has been or just tell them to replace the brake switch. This is the only circuit which would invoke this behavior..but I can't see a short or a voltage bleed triggering this. Might be wrong fer sure.
And no I aint seling it...it's gonna be my son's if I can get it fixed or despooked or something. Only has 44k miles on it.
Ideas from mission control?
rot

N7YA
06-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Ok..Let's just say I'm orbiting the moon in a 2001 Ford Ranger.
Everything is hunky dory.
Somehow in my orbit I was space chunked into the field here where I was dickin around...got out for a bit and the truck popped out of gear (automatic). Untethered, I watched my truck back down the hill into the woods to center punch a tree effin up the rear bumper and since the driver's side door was open..it was bent backwards to the point where it would never shut again.
No gross tree damage was done, nor any small animals sacrificed.
Beyond multiple f-bombs being expelled and for about $300 bucks I found a new door and bumper and it works ok.
Electro mirror work...electro windows fine..remote door look yadda yadda is OK...of course I don't have a key to manually lock the door, but no biggie. Open/close lined up well with the door. The bumper was no big and the tag lights work fine.
Just had an inspection, FWIW and that was a pass with no issues.

Now comes the fun part.
About 2 weeks ago..after shutting down and about 3 to 6 hrs of sitting...the effin Brake lights just come on along with the high mount stop light housed on the cab. It stays on until the battery drains or the door is reopened and shut.
Something is triggering the brake switch ( I rekkon) to change and I can not figure this one out.
This was my pop's truck and he passed in 2006. I thought it maybe him stomping the brakes from the nextworld, but I'm pretty sure he have the radio on as well.
Funkiness..I have no idea what to do now beyond taking it somewhere to sit in obervation mode and hope it triggers againlike it has been or just tell them to replace the brake switch. This is the only circuit which would invoke this behavior..but I can't see a short or a voltage bleed triggering this. Might be wrong fer sure.
And no I aint seling it...it's gonna be my son's if I can get it fixed or despooked or something. Only has 44k miles on it.
Ideas from mission control?
rot

Aah, stand by for a few months while NASA deliberates how much this will cost the taxpayers...over.

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Can you get a brake switch from the same place you got the door?

Sounds like good reasoning to me, rotley. (But I'm sure a real mechanic will be along shortly)

w2amr
06-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Sounds like the brake light switch is hanging up, First thing I would do is replace it. Should be an easy job.

ki4itv
06-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Ground Control to Major Rot
Commencing shuttdown, engines off
Check the handbrake and may God's love be with you.

Glad you're OK, I have a close friend who actually ran himself over with his Jeep doing something very similar.
While very funny and useful when trying to make him shut his pie hole on occasion, he was nearly killed.

rot
06-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah guess I'll give the brake switch a try. Fortunately not a must do today deal. I got sidetracked on this remote personal anti theft defibrillating geopositioning and metal finding device crap....gave me a headache. I got the door from friend's son who is starting a body shop type deal..Good kid..hope he does well. Fits great, but the truck is green and the door is blue with funk flame pinstriped down it. Looks wierd...hey I told him i didn't care if was pink as long as it fit. Pop was real picky with his stuff.. now it looks..well..sort of..parade-ish I guess. :-D
rot

NQ6U
06-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Tim Bob Terry, try disconnecting the brake light switch first. If that doesn't do it, the Ranger has a box called (I think) the Generic Electronic Module that does the heavy lifting for a lot the electronic functions including the wipers and door/ignition switch warning chime. I know this because the one in my '95 Ranger went bad after I hit someone who made a left turn in front of me. Now, the wipers sometimes start up on their own accord or won't shut off and the chime sounds whenever I open door whether I have the keys in it or not. Anyhow, if disconnecting the brake light switch doesn't fix the problem, it cold be the GEM.

rot
06-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Tim, try disconnecting the brake light switch first. If that doesn't do it, the Ranger has a box called (I think) the Generic Electronic Module that does the heavy lifting for a lot the electronic functions including the wipers and door/ignition switch warning chime. I know this because the one in my '95 Ranger went bad after I hit someone who made a left turn in front of me. Now, the wipers sometimes start up on their own accord or won't shut off and the chime sounds whenever I open door whether I have the keys in it or not. Anyhow, if shorting the brake light switch doesn't fix the problem, it cold be the GEM.
Name on this end is Terry..bwaaa!
Yeah I saw a bit on the GEM..gawd I was hoping to bypass that...but you might be right on the money.
Thanks man!
Damn..hit a tree and probably wiped out command central...
I need a low power up sequence...
Houston! No burn! No burn! but the wipers are working FB!
Good thing I didn't get the torpedo tube add on...:doh:
Lordy..
rot

NQ6U
06-03-2012, 10:39 AM

I knew that...

Sorry, Bob! ;)

N7YA
06-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Theres a lot of that going around the Island right now. :lol:

KG4CGC
06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Does your Ford use that switch on the brake pedal stem like they did on some years of Taurus? That one breaks, wire breaks etc, it's bitchy to fix.

At a different residence several years ago, my next door was towing a small pick up home. He got home, got it into his driveway around back, stopped and got out of his truck and the truck he was towing rolled off the trailer and backed right into my backporch. THE ANTENNA MAST KEPT THE PORCH FROM CRASHING INTO AND THROUGH THE TRAILER I WAS RENTING!
Within minutes a few neighbors were there with tools and lumber helping rebuild the porch. Added a scooter ramp too.

w2amr
06-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah I saw a bit on the GEM..gawd I was hoping to bypass that...but you might be right on the money.
Thanks man!
Damn..hit a tree and probably wiped out command central...
I need a low power up sequence...
Houston! No burn! No burn! but the wipers are working FB!
Good thing I didn't get the torpedo tube add on...:doh:
Lordy..
rot
Let me know how you make out Rottie. I'll try to get you a wiring diagram for the brake light circuit if you need it.

N2RJ
06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
I bet it's just the switch.

In other news I had to replace a turn signal flasher in the Honda. Thought it was just a simple relay? Nuh uh. Has an IC in it and all. $10 part from my go to mail order place, but I was using my hand signals for a week. Easy replacement, just stick my hand up above the fuse box, pull and replace.

Next work I gotta do is that fu#$ing CV joint.

rot
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Tim Bob Terry, try disconnecting the brake light switch first. .
:rofl:
Gents..you rock.
Looks like about a 20 buck switch...so I might get lucky.
rot