PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Minimalism

kf0rt
06-01-2012, 05:02 PM
So, I've had this Tracfone that I bought at Target about 5 years ago. Easy peasy to set up then and they even transferred my old Qwest cell number. No frills flip-phone. It'll do the Internet, if you're a masochist. Text messaging is a PITA, but it works. Push 4 times for 'S' and Gawd help you if you want punctuation.

Sold a buddy of mine on this some years ago because, well... it's damn cheap if you're an OF and don't have yer damn ear glued to the damn phone all day. 'Bout 6 months ago, he tells me that you can upgrade phones pretty cheap, too. Got to looking at that, and he's right. Bought a Samsung T404G for $60 and they transferred all the pre-paid stuff from the other phone. This one has a real keyboard and a POS camera! Took me about an hour and a half to manually key in the phonebook, but it's working. Took Tracfone a couple hours last night to switch everything over (part of that might be my fault, but I never had to call cussedomer service).

Total airtime on that 5 year old Motorola? A tad over 42 hours. Total investment? About $400. Sucks per minute, but beats the heck out of a $69.95 a month contract for those who don't use it much. Yeah, I'd have a damn iPhone iff'n it was worth the freight.

Just passing along some OF tips. :lol:

W4GPL
06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
You couldn't pry my Galaxy S2 from my cold dead hands.

And I'll stay off your lawn. :)

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 08:48 PM
So, I've had this Tracfone that I bought at Target about 5 years ago. Easy peasy to set up then and they even transferred my old Qwest cell number. No frills flip-phone. It'll do the Internet, if you're a masochist. Text messaging is a PITA, but it works. Push 4 times for 'S' and Gawd help you if you want punctuation.

Sold a buddy of mine on this some years ago because, well... it's damn cheap if you're an OF and don't have yer damn ear glued to the damn phone all day. 'Bout 6 months ago, he tells me that you can upgrade phones pretty cheap, too. Got to looking at that, and he's right. Bought a Samsung T404G for $60 and they transferred all the pre-paid stuff from the other phone. This one has a real keyboard and a POS camera! Took me about an hour and a half to manually key in the phonebook, but it's working. Took Tracfone a couple hours last night to switch everything over (part of that might be my fault, but I never had to call cussedomer service).

Total airtime on that 5 year old Motorola? A tad over 42 hours. Total investment? About $400. Sucks per minute, but beats the heck out of a $69.95 a month contract for those who don't use it much. Yeah, I'd have a damn iPhone iff'n it was worth the freight.

Just passing along some OF tips. :lol:

In the states when I had a cell I used straight talk. 45$ a month for unlimited everything. Problem was I didnt need it, lol. I have a smart phone now that I am in Spain, and their plans bite. However, I only pay 10€ a month. Mind you thats 200m and 500mb a month. However, 10 numbers for unlimited calling coupled with Whatsap (some kind of SMS style text message system) means no worries and a small bill.

kf0rt
06-01-2012, 09:00 PM

I'll have you know that I wrote a paper on Edison in the 5th grade and have hated the telephone since. That was in the 60's. And I hate lawns.

Love the gadgets, but... man... a hunnert bucks a month to keep up with Facebook and similar ilk? Screw that. Isn't this Internet fad about over?

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I don't pay a hundred bucks... Well I almost do ($98 ) but it's for two lines with data plans, all taxes and fees included.

W4GPL
06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Shit, I think I pay closer to $130.. *sigh* And I don't have Facebook on my phone, it's too creepy. I just like Google and Twitter track, but NOT Facebook. ;)

W4GPL
06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't pay a hundred bucks... Well I almost do ($98 ) but it's for two lines with data plans, all taxes and fees included.Are you able to tether? (within the terms of service of your carrier)

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I'll have you know that I wrote a paper on Edison in the 5th grade and have hated the telephone since. That was in the 60's. And I hate lawns.

Love the gadgets, but... man... a hunnert bucks a month to keep up with Facebook and similar ilk? Screw that. Isn't this Internet fad about over?

I hate talking on the phone. I hate texting too. Most of all I hate facebook. Pilar said I needed a phone. She is right, I got lost the other day, lol. That little fucker has a GPS! Found out I only needed to turn around and walk up the sidewalk in the other direction...Never said I was bright.

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Tether? No. I turned that off when I got 4G LTE on my iPad. The ipad plan includes tethering.

With tethering my bill was $113.

I was considering dropping my iPhone back to 200mb since I hardly use data now and have wifi where i am the most but it's only a $5 difference (no discount on the 200mb plan) and I hate watching usage.

WØTKX
06-02-2012, 06:53 AM
This old pharte digs his Lumia 900. :yes:

I pay $65 a month for the high end data and tethering on AT&T. It's cheap because I'm in a family plan. Actually, I'm kicking in a little extra to help out. YL's grandkids are on this plan... being "Nana's boyfriend" and all.

:lol:

Who the eff needs Facebook when there's an Island Beach to hang out at? ;)

W1GUH
06-02-2012, 08:30 AM
I will only relinquish my trusty, friendly RAZR when the make fancy phone that doesn't butt-call. When I HAD a fancy phone I found that the way I carry a phone (stuffed down in my jeans front pocket, I nut-called (?) regularly AND when the phone rang I'd "nut-answer"...twice and thereby cutting off the call. Forget it! Was never so happy to lose an expensive thing 'cuz that meant I got my RAZR back.

What I'd like is a RAZR with a bigger screen that retains the flip feature, something the manufacturers are resisting mightily. BUT...considering what kind of innovative strides that Asus is making....I'm thinking....is a phone my next hi-tech toy from them?

W1GUH
06-02-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't pay a hundred bucks... Well I almost do ($98 ) but it's for two lines with data plans, all taxes and fees included.

"I got passion in my pants and I ain't afraid to show it... I'm sexy and I know it."

Who you trying to convince? Us or yourself? ;)

KB3LAZ
06-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I will only relinquish my trusty, friendly RAZR when the make fancy phone that doesn't butt-call. When I HAD a fancy phone I found that the way I carry a phone (stuffed down in my jeans front pocket, I nut-called (?) regularly AND when the phone rang I'd "nut-answer"...twice and thereby cutting off the call. Forget it! Was never so happy to lose an expensive thing 'cuz that meant I got my RAZR back.

What I'd like is a RAZR with a bigger screen that retains the flip feature, something the manufacturers are resisting mightily. BUT...considering what kind of innovative strides that Asus is making....I'm thinking....is a phone my next hi-tech toy from them?

The phone that I have now you have to both push a button to unlock the screen and then slide your finger across the screen making the green lock touch the red lock. Pocket dialing is unlikely.

W1GUH
06-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks! Was thinking that the butt-dialing issue would be addressed.

WØTKX
06-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I still have my Razr V3i as a backup phone. It's my favorite regular cellphone ever.

Tho I liked the Sony Ericcson phones quite a bit as well.

N2RJ
06-02-2012, 12:44 PM
"I got passion in my pants and I ain't afraid to show it... I'm sexy and I know it."

Who you trying to convince? Us or yourself? ;)

It's a song by LMFAO. :)

N2RJ
06-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks! Was thinking that the butt-dialing issue would be addressed.

Butt dialing is a problem with my blackberry. I have had angry 911 dispatchers call me back several times. Now I use a belt case.

KB3LAZ
06-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Just cuz there is a vibe app does not mean you have to store your cell in your butt. No more butt dialing. Mwhaha.

N2RJ
06-02-2012, 12:47 PM
The phone that I have now you have to both push a button to unlock the screen and then slide your finger across the screen making the green lock touch the red lock. Pocket dialing is unlikely.

Apple pioneered this "slide to unlock" feature. It's been a staple since the first iPhone. :)

N2RJ
06-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Just cuz there is a vibe app does not mean you have to store your cell in your butt. No more butt dialing. Mwhaha.

Sadly even side pocket storage doesn't prevent butt dialing. :(

N2RJ
06-02-2012, 12:51 PM
This old pharte digs his Lumia 900. :yes:

I pay $65 a month for the high end data and tethering on AT&T. It's cheap because I'm in a family plan. Actually, I'm kicking in a little extra to help out. YL's grandkids are on this plan... being "Nana's boyfriend" and all.

:lol:

Who the eff needs Facebook when there's an Island Beach to hang out at? ;)

Yeah our plan is a family plan but we get an extra 21% off because we're FAN (http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Cingular#Business_or_School_discounts)s.

Sadly our discount on Verizon is only 15% and on the primary voice plan only otherwise I would have gone that way. My wife's is 18% but voice only too. Verizon is pretty stingy with the discounts. :(

WØTKX
06-02-2012, 01:08 PM
I can get 18% from Verizon, through work. But my YL was all set with AT&T.

So, I have a work iPhone on Verizon as well. Two phones on my belt AND and an HT?

See ya at the hamfest. :lol:

N2RJ
06-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Is the 18% on the data plan too? My wife's plan (and my work's verizon plan) only cover the primary voice plan.

n6hcm
06-06-2012, 01:59 AM

this. plus: my galaxy note has that extra large screen ... it's like the escalade of smartphones!

N2RJ
06-06-2012, 10:10 AM
this. plus: my galaxy note has that extra large screen ... it's like the escalade of smartphones!

Jeebus, I hate large phones. I am hoping Apple won't make the next iPhone much bigger. If they kept the same size I would be happy.

I have an iPad and a laptop if I want a big screen.

n2ize
06-06-2012, 10:44 PM
In my ideal world I would have no cell phone.

KB3LAZ
06-07-2012, 04:20 AM
In my ideal world I would have no cell phone.

I agree. Even though at times I do find it useful I miss the simplicity of not having one.