PDA

View Full Version : Cheap pencils

n2ize
06-01-2012, 02:11 PM
What is it with these cheap crappy pencils they are making these days. I use pencils a lot and these days I end up buying a pack of ten pencils and I end up throwing half of them away. Half the time you can't even sharpen them. Thy sharpen unevenly and the wood covers the lead, the leads keep shattering inside the sharpener, the wood splinters in the sharpener, or I end up grinding down almost the entire pencil before I can manage to get a point. Not to mention the wood is grainy and crappy and they jam the sharpener. I even got one pencil that I kept sharpening and couldn't get a point on it and eventually realized that there was NO LEAD!! in the pencil !! Huh ? One time out of a pack of ten pencils I got only 2 that were usable. The rest were garbage.

Even some brands of pencils that were once very good are now garbage. Apparently they are all made in China these days and they are making them like total crap using substandard wood, brittle leads, etc.

A friend of mine who is a public school teacher say's she's noticed the same thing. Out of a pack of pencils she ends up throwing away half the pack. Kids use them for tests and the leads break at the slightest pressure and when she tries to sharpen them they won't sharpen. More time ends up wasted trying to get a working pencil than taking the exam. She was so discusted one time she broke the pencil, threw it out the window and gave the kid her own mechanical pencil to use for the rest.

What happened to good ol' quality cedar pencils made in the USA ? From now on I'll just have to order quality Ticonderoga pencils online. Must they make even the simplest things like garbage these days ?

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Spend more on your pencils. Go to an art supply house and figure out what you like. There are all types of pencils with various hardness. Look for a solid graphite that is lacquer coated. You may like this one.
I have pencils here that are approaching 30 years old. I got them to draw technical manual illustrations when that was how it was still done in the technical manual publishing world. It was one of the courses I took to explore realism in drawing. Don't just run down to the corner store or Staples or what have you. Those days are gone. Close the lid on that casket.

Once you know what you like, find them cheaper online.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
I use pens.

NA4BH
06-01-2012, 02:54 PM
These last longer than pencils

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cQ-U7kPivCs/TKWjb8VcZiI/AAAAAAAADDs/Tqgeff2eXBc/s1600/abacus.jpg

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I use mechanical pencils, ever since I took technical drawing in high school... this was before schools started teaching CAD and we all drew by hand.

N7YA
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
What is this 'pencil' you speak of? Doth this be some sort of sorcery??

NQ6U
06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I use pens.

I use a triangular stylus. Here's this week grocery list:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Sumerian_26th_c_Adab.jpg/310px-Sumerian_26th_c_Adab.jpg

kf0rt
06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I use a triangular stylus. Here's this week grocery list:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Sumerian_26th_c_Adab.jpg/310px-Sumerian_26th_c_Adab.jpg

You need more fiber.

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 04:39 PM
You need more fiber.
:rofl:
:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

NQ6U
06-01-2012, 04:43 PM
You need more fiber.

Man, can't you read??

Oat bran, five pounds.

kf0rt
06-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Man, can't you read??

Oat bran, five pounds.

In my tribe, that reads: 5 pounds of high fructose corn syrup. It's known as the "death card."

NQ6U
06-01-2012, 05:21 PM
In my tribe, that reads: 5 pounds of high fructose corn syrup. It's known as the "death card."

Your tribe is evil. Your gods are inferior. My tribe will make war and enslave your tribe. Hopefully, my tribal warriors will fare better than the Padres this season.

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 05:34 PM
My tribe has a bigger pencil than your tribe!

N7YA
06-01-2012, 05:52 PM
My tribe didnt make it to the second round of the playoffs...but it was a good hunting season.

NY3V
06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't use pencils. You just need larger erasers.

I use indelible pens, since I never make mistakes.

kf0rt
06-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Your tribe is evil. Your gods are inferior. My tribe will make war and enslave your tribe. Hopefully, my tribal warriors will fare better than the Padres this season.

My tribe hugs trees, has free sex and wonders what a "Padre" is.

You will lose, evil warrior.

We have cookies, too.

NQ6U
06-01-2012, 06:22 PM
My tribe hugs trees, has free sex and wonders what a "Padre" is.

You will lose, evil warrior.

We have cookies, too.

Free sex and cookies?!

Can I join your tribe? I wish I wondered what a "Padre" is too

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Free sex and cookies?!

But first you must wear the traditional tribal loin cloth. HAHA! We can see your junk!
Don't worry. Everyone's junk is hanging out.

NA4BH
06-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Wimmen too

http://sassygoatmilksoap.com/SassyGoatMilkSoap.jpg

NQ6U
06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Wimmen too

http://sassygoatmilksoap.com/SassyGoatMilkSoap.jpg

Remind me of Old Country. Many goat in Old Country. Mostly goat in Old Country.

W3WN
06-01-2012, 07:28 PM
My tribe has a bigger pencil than your tribe!It's not how big it is. It's how you use it!

n2ize
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
I use pens.

I do too. I particularly like to use good quality fountain pens, and, when writing romantic letters a quill pen (yes, the kind that comes from a large bird and that you have to dip in an ink well). . But for a lot of day to day stuff the humble pencil fits the bill. Unfortunately China is not making the humble pencil very well these days.

n2ize
06-01-2012, 07:34 PM
:rofl:
:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

^^^^ This means something !!!

WØTKX
06-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Twirling pencils, I remember it well. Really enjoyed drafting.

Bright yellow Bruning was my favorite pencil type.

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 07:38 PM
^^^^ This means something !!!

Heliographaglyphs.

kf0rt
06-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Free sex and cookies?!

Well, now. I always thought a Padre was the Shaman, ya know?

My tribe likes to think that there's more to life than spinning dollars. Sadly, we've been unable to prove this thesis because well, that's all everybody thinks about.

The cookies ARE good, though.

kf0rt
06-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I do too. I particularly like to use good quality fountain pens, and, when writing romantic letters a quill pen (yes, the kind that comes from a large bird and that you have to dip in an ink well). . But for a lot of day to day stuff the humble pencil fits the bill. Unfortunately China is not making the humble pencil very well these days.

I actually use a Cross mechanical pencil (and don't know where I got it). Kinda prefer the rollerball wet ink pens, but...

Y'know, Bic used to make a pretty fine quill for about 10 cents.

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 08:06 PM
I actually use a Cross mechanical pencil (and don't know where I got it). Kinda prefer the rollerball wet ink pens, but...

I used to use a Bic med point for drawing. Often had to clean the ink build up off the section of point where the ball is held in.

kf0rt
06-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I used to use a Bic med point for drawing. Often had to clean the ink build up off the section of point where the ball is held in.

Kind of amazing, no? Used to love the Bic pens in the 70's. Pilot mechanical pencils, too, but it's always a bit of work. You'd think that in 2012, there would be the perfect graphite writing instrument and it'd cost like 2 bucks. Instead, we get iPads.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Bic made pens? hum..xD

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Bic made pens? hum..xD

Yeah. They even ran commercials on the television touting their greatness.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Did they double as a lighter? Bic still makes a good throw away lighter.

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Bic was like the #1 brand of pen I knew. That and pilot.

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I use pens.

I preferred pencils because I could easily erase construction lines.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 09:04 PM
I preferred pencils because I could easily erase construction lines.

I wright with a pen. I dont draw. I can not draw for the birds.

W4GPL
06-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Hey nerds...

34 replies about pencils? :lol: Just sayin'..

NA4BH
06-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey nerds...

Sad, isn't it..............

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey nerds...

We cant all use a cell to write. xD

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Hey nerds...

I hear ya, Mr Beefy Miracle!

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Hey nerds...

Some of us learned to draw properly before our computers did.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Some of us learned to draw properly before our computers did.

I cant even draw with a computer. I am drawing disabled.

NA4BH
06-01-2012, 09:33 PM
I took two years of mechanical drawing in high school. The one class I still remember anything about. The teacher was a Ham operator, last name was Tunstill from Huntsville AL. Most of you older ops probably talked to him. Damn good teacher, damn good man.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I took two years of mechanical drawing in high school. The one class I still remember anything about. The teacher was a Ham operator, last name was Tunstill from Huntsville AL. Most of you older ops probably talked to him. Damn good teacher, damn good man.

I took drafting, the teacher used to smack us in the back with t-square things. Hurt like a bitch. He was an ass. His idea of rewarding us was beaming us in the head with a snickers when we were least expecting it.

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 09:50 PM
I hated tech drawing back then but love it now. The education ministry in its infinite wisdom decided that industrial arts students should learn TD but not students who were preparing for engineering programs. My HS went ahead and taught us TD anyway, because they knew better. Sometimes the schools themselves know better than the bureaucracy.

NA4BH
06-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Two words: Isometric Circles

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Concentric?

NA4BH
06-01-2012, 10:05 PM
http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/machinery/Shop-Practice-V2/images/Isometric-of-a-Cylinder.png

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 10:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Archery_Target_80cm.svg

n2ize
06-02-2012, 12:14 AM

Bic writes first time... everytime. Remember the fugure skater whi used to skate on one then show it still writes. Or, the one they fired through a block of wood ?

N7YA
06-02-2012, 02:33 PM
I took drafting, the teacher used to smack us in the back with t-square things. Hurt like a bitch. He was an ass. His idea of rewarding us was beaming us in the head with a snickers when we were least expecting it.

These days, that would get him in the news from all the cellphone video of the incident from the other students, Youtube virals and subsequent firing and burned at the stake of public opinion...teaching days over! Either that, or he would be shot and killed in the class for "disrespecting".

n2ize
06-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Are you sure it was a "quill" pen or was it a nib pen. In the old days my parents used to have ink wells in school and they used to buy these nib pens (basicallly a stick with a metal nib on the end) which you dip in the inkwell and write with. I used to have so many of those. Don't know what happened to them. A 'quill" on the other hand is usually a large feather from a bird with the end carved and sharpened to a "nib-like" shape. On most of the real quills the majority of or all of the feather plume was removed. leaving a large plume on the quill was usually for romanticization in the movies. All my functional quill pens have most or all of the feather removed. Which reminds me, I need to go out and look for some goose feathers.

NQ6U
06-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Watch out, John--geese bite.

n2ize
06-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Watch out, John--geese bite.

Yeah, I know. Fortunately they tend to leave a lot of feathers laying around that are perfect for making pens. They also leave a lot of other things laying around but those things you don't want.

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Are you sure it was a "quill" pen or was it a nib pen. In the old days my parents used to have ink wells in school and they used to buy these nib pens (basicallly a stick with a metal nib on the end) which you dip in the inkwell and write with. I used to have so many of those. Don't know what happened to them. A 'quill" on the other hand is usually a large feather from a bird with the end carved and sharpened to a "nib-like" shape. On most of the real quills the majority of or all of the feather plume was removed. leaving a large plume on the quill was usually for romanticization in the movies. All my functional quill pens have most or all of the feather removed. Which reminds me, I need to go out and look for some goose feathers.

I was using "quill" in the colloquial. I'm talking about those cheap ballpoint stick pens Bic makes that used to be everywhere. http://www.staples.com/BIC-Cristal-Ballpoint-Stick-Pens-Medium-Blue-Dozen/product_123836

KB3LAZ
06-03-2012, 06:33 AM
I was using "quill" in the colloquial. I'm talking about those cheap ballpoint stick pens Bic makes that used to be everywhere. http://www.staples.com/BIC-Cristal-Ballpoint-Stick-Pens-Medium-Blue-Dozen/product_123836

I am sorry but you can not currently visit our website due to region restrictions. At fucking staples, really? lol

I find it odd that I have issues with the following sites

Staples
Macy´s
Walmart

The last two surprise me a lot more than the first.

Websites that I am still happy to be able to utilize in Spain + Buy from with cheap or no shipping costs.

Sears
PacSun
TigerDirect

n2ize
06-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Oh !! Those. yeah, I have one in my hand right now. Those are the ones that made the name BIC famous. I generally hate ball points but, if I need to use one I prefer those.

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Oh !! Those. yeah, I have one in my hand right now. Those are the ones that made the name BIC famous. I generally hate ball points but, if I need to use one I prefer those.

I use a cheap PaperMate stick pen -- bought a couple boxes of them a few years ago and they're not all lost yet.

I like the Uniball Vision liquid ink pens. They write "nicely" for a $2 pen.