PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Relatives Sucks

ka4dpo
05-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Over the holiday weekend we drove to Akron Ohio to visit my cousins and to attend a family reunion. I would not have done this except that my mom flew out from California so we kind of had to. Anyway I thought it would be an opportunity to meet N8YX on Saturday afternoon and have an eyeball. Well it started out OK, I got in touch with him and he said he would ride his bike over to my cousins house so we gave him the address. Then there was a hitch. Cousins wanted to go to lunch which we did, on my dime of course. Told Fred we would call him as soon as we got back. At that point it turned into a world class goat rodeo. Mom got upset, cousin got upset, XYL got upset, and I got a sore backside and the sked was officially killed by angry women.

The only good thing that came out of it is that I broke in my new pickup. I bought it on Wednesday and drove to Ohio on Friday so it got a good workout.

So N8YX I officially and publicly appologize for not getting back to you and I hope you are not too disapointed. Also, I would like to work you on 40 meters and propose a sked. I am retired so I'm good almost any time and Virginia to Ohio on 40 is a slam dunk most days and evenings. Please let me know if you would like to do that and I would encourage other Islanders to jump in as well. So lets pick a time and frequency, we have radios, it's time we did more than type at one another.

KA4DPO.

N2RJ
05-29-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm good on 40 too jus sayin ;)

First week I got my car we drove up to toronto Canada. Nice 8 hour break in drive. I think the next new vehicle we get we will do the same. Need passports for the kids though.

N8YX
05-30-2012, 03:02 AM
John,

Kidnapping is just one more service I offer...shoulda said something and it could have been arranged! :rofl:

Be glad to work you on 40. Assuming you have wifey's permission, natch. ;)

N7YA
05-30-2012, 04:53 AM
This Islander is 40 capable!

PA5COR
05-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Me too, actually 160 - 70 cm's all ccan do all mode as well, hanging out now on 7077 KHz at the moment.

ka4dpo
05-30-2012, 08:08 AM
John,

Kidnapping is just one more service I offer...shoulda said something and it could have been arranged! :rofl:

Be glad to work you on 40. Assuming you have wifey's permission, natch. ;)

Wifey's permission is no problem as she wasn't mad at me anyway, she was mad at my mom and cousins for being pains in the ass. Family trips are always so much fun.:hyper:

Anyway, let me know a time and frequency and I'll be there barring any thunder storm activity. Only glitch would be today before about 2 PM since I have to drive up to Arlington for a while this morning.

N8YX
05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Anyway, let me know a time and frequency and I'll be there barring any thunder storm activity. Only glitch would be today before about 2 PM since I have to drive up to Arlington for a while this morning.
I am going to change the oil in my touring bike in a few minutes but should be good to go after that. Say around dusk - look for a notice in the Sked Thread area. Might swap the Paragon for the Omni VI beforehand.

ka4dpo
05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
OK, so notice is in the Sked Thread. I'll be on 40 most of the day and into the evening listening for Islanders, frequencies posted under Sked.

No LIDs No Kids No Space Kadets....:neener:

N7YA
05-30-2012, 09:54 PM
OK, so notice is in the Sked Thread. I'll be on 40 most of the day and into the evening listening for Islanders, frequencies posted under Sked.

No LIDs No Kids No Space Kadets....:neener:

Well, that counts me out, im an "N" call...im not good enough.

Oh, and im kind of a space cadet.

KG4CGC
05-30-2012, 10:19 PM
On the way to Key West last month, the XYL and I stopped in Ft. Lauderdale to spend a night with my cousin and her husband. Also saw my other cousin, his family and my second cousin. Left the next morning and continued to KW.
Perfect.

XE1/N5AL
05-31-2012, 01:35 AM
Unfortunately, I have seen my own relatives so few times during my life that I wouldn't recognize them if I passed them on the sidewalk. But, I would easily recognize any of my wife's relatives, even though she comes from a big family. My wife comes from a family of seven kids and her mother also comes from a family of seven kids: it's an exponential kind of thing! I get along fine with all of them.

W3WN
05-31-2012, 07:45 AM

No LIDs No Kids No Space Kadets....:neener:Channelling W2OY(SK) again?

N7YA
05-31-2012, 07:48 AM
He would talk to you, you are a 1x2 W call....unless its a vanity, then you can get lost! :lol:

ka4dpo
05-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey I'm just kidding I'll talk to anyone except Burt and vanity calls are welcome.

N8YX
05-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Hey I'm just kidding I'll talk to anyone except Burt and vanity calls are welcome.You can talk to Burt. I'm sure he's much different on-the-air than he is behind the keyboard. Too many folks forget that Internet =/= Amateur Radio, even though the Winlink and Echolink crowds would have you believing the contrary.

KG4CGC
05-31-2012, 08:45 AM
You can talk to Burt. I'm sure he's much different on-the-air than he is behind the keyboard. Too many folks forget that Internet =/= Amateur Radio, even though the Winlink and Echolink crowds would have you believing the contrary.

I have noticed another here who is much different on the air. Something about those damn keyboards does something to a lot of people which was why I was so surprised after our conversation when he, ''changed.''

N7YA
05-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Im going to go out on a limb here and say, judging by how he has acted here so far, that Burt is an asshole that i wouldnt want to talk to anyway. All of us have edgy humor, we dont all agree on things and many of us have had spats with oneanother, but i would gladly talk to any of you on the air. He strikes me as a lid with a chip on his shoulder and i dont have time for that.

W3WN
05-31-2012, 09:26 AM
He would talk to you, you are a 1x2 W call....unless its a vanity, then you can get lost! :lol:It is, and he wouldn't.

W3WN
05-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Im going to go out on a limb here and say, judging by how he has acted here so far, that Burt is an asshole that i wouldnt want to talk to anyway. All of us have edgy humor, we dont all agree on things and many of us have had spats with oneanother, but i would gladly talk to any of you on the air. He strikes me as a lid with a chip on his shoulder and i dont have time for that.Now you know that sooner or later he's going to read these statements, and then proclaim that they are a clear & obvious personal attack. And in a subsequent post, there will be some name calling from him... which won't be.

Just sayin'

N8YX
05-31-2012, 09:31 AM
I have noticed another here who is much different on the air. Something about those damn keyboards does something to a lot of people which was why I was so surprised after our conversation when he, ''changed.''So if we all ran RTTY, PSK or some other digital/keyboard mode, we wouldn't miss a beat? ;)

KG4CGC
05-31-2012, 09:35 AM
So if we all ran RTTY, PSK or some other digital/keyboard mode, we wouldn't miss a beat? ;)

LOL! After monitoring PSK, I would say no. Maybe it's the group viewing the posts and knowing that which does it.

N7YA
05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Now you know that sooner or later he's going to read these statements, and then proclaim that they are a clear & obvious personal attack. And in a subsequent post, there will be some name calling from him... which won't be.

Just sayin'

Yeah, whatever on him, this is as far as my "personal attack" goes with him since i think he seems to enjoy it and wants us all riled up with him in the middle. Hes just not that important to me, i even tried to extend the olive branch, but its a perfectly good olive branch that i want back...ill use it for someone more worthy. Fuck that unimportant non-event of a sad old man, on to more important things...

I tried to get on the air last night and found a seriously dead band. I could hear some DX, and a few stateside guys, but wow...big disturbance in the force! How have the bands been out that way?

W3WN
06-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Sorry, never got on the air yesterday. Was busy picking up 30 feet of used tower from NØVLR last night instead, thanks to Rich N3SBF & his truck.

N8YX
06-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Me and the beertender got on 40 for a bit last evening then tried 75; thunderstorms and related lightning crashes conspired against us. The Omni VI is ~100hz off frequency - so it's coming back out of the lineup this evening, awaiting inbound parts.

ka4dpo
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
It doesn't look too good for tonight, we are supposed to have severe weather from sometime this afternoon till after midnight. I'm going to disconnect my equipment in a little while.

So Fred, 100 HZ is not much deviation, what is the offending part?

N8YX
06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
It doesn't look too good for tonight, we are supposed to have severe weather from sometime this afternoon till after midnight. I'm going to disconnect my equipment in a little while.

So Fred, 100 HZ is not much deviation, what is the offending part?
BFO crystals. TenTec used a 5PPM part; inbound are .005PPM versions. Also ordered a TCXO from Sevierville, as the other issue with drift is often caused by an out-of-spec crystal oven.