PDA

View Full Version : A Pittsburgh-South Hills Field Day?

W3WN
05-29-2012, 06:36 PM
OK, before I get started... if you already have plans for Field Day, or are too far to travel, or don't operate contests... yes, I know Field Day is not a contest... or contest-like events, no need to read further or comment, move along, nothing to see here...

With that said:

As many of you know or may have surmised from some of the various posts back-and-forth in a multitude of threads here on the Island the last few months, Paul W1GUH has been planning to visit Pittsburgh on Saturday, June 23rd, to amongst other things take on a Pirates game (interleague, Detroit Tigers will be in town).

This also happens to be Field Day Saturday.

Now the good news is that this is a 4:05 PM game, should be over between 7 & 8. So after the game is over, I'll be taking the family home & then heading out to N3SH Field Day in Allegheny County's South Park for the evening shift. Paul has been invited to join us if he would like.

So: If you have no FD plans, or would like to take in a (hopefully) exciting ball game, or would like to combine both... give the date a little consideration.

If enough of us gather, we can try to meet before the game in one of the food courts to grab a bite, or whatever. We can play that by ear as we get closer to the date. And I'll get directions from the park to the FD site for anyone who needs it.

I don't know where Paul's seat(s) are. We'll be in our usual seats this year, Section 323 Row J, on the 3rd base side. So if you'd like to be in the general vicinity,call 1-800-BUY-BUCS ; ask for Val (she's our account rep) but don't be surprised if you don't get her, she's pretty busy.

( Don't know where the seats are? Seating chart at http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/pit/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp )

So if this intrigues you, give it some thought. If it doesn't, well, don't worry about it.

KJ3N
05-29-2012, 08:21 PM
... yes, I know Field Day is not a contest...

Tell that to the idiots at certain FD operations who berate others for not keeping the rate up. :roll:

BTW, if you're keeping score to tell who comes in 1st, 2nd, etc., it's a contest. :neener: ;)

N7YA
05-31-2012, 08:00 AM
I wont because i wouldnt work them to begin with.

kf0rt
06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm actually thinking I might operate battery from the cave here as a lazy man's Field Day.

It's been awhile.

W3WN
06-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Update... or, some things have changed...

Turns out, I'm going to the game alone, thanks to Paul W1GUH (can't leave him there by himself, now can I? Don't answer that). Little Miss Field Day's birthday is this coming Thursday (Sweet Sixteen, and she wants her learner's permit), and as usual, we're going to the game.

And we already had tickets for Friday. Factor in several graduation parties LMFD is going to on Saturday, and the last straw is a ladies-only event on Sunday (charity fund-raiser) which both the boss & LMFD are going to, and that includes tickets to Sunday's game...

So: If there are two fellow Misfits out there that would like to come to the ballgame on Saturday, and then join us for a few hours of Field Day operating fun over at N3SH... let me know.

( Hey, if nothing else, the promotion on Saturday is a Pirates baseball cap, woo hoo! And a scratch-and-win ticket from Eat-N-Park... )

Oh, on a related note... the club members voted at the last meeting to have grilled steaks for dinner on FD Saturday. Since the FD food budget had already been set, and not everyone wants steak, there is a small charge of $5 each for those who want one. Paul, since you're my guest, if you want one, I'll cover it. Anyone else... depends on how nice you've been to me lately... and not just here... :twisted:

W3WN
06-20-2012, 10:27 AM
...and as it turns out, Paul is going to the game FRIDAY night, not Saturday afternoon as I first thought. So I WILL be able to hook up with him at some point. (yea!)

Now... anyone interested in 3 tickets to Saturday's game, Section 323 Row J (actually the 'front' row right above the entry tunnel, 3rd base side, great view)? No? Oh well, I figured as much...