PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone point me to where I can learn about Lyme Disease?

W1GUH
05-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Someone close to me has it and says that there's lots about it that just isn't understood. There are those who say it's easy to cure and that's that. There are others who say, no -- it isn't that simple. It and a bunch of other infections can result in mysterious and frustrating symptoms.

If you've been through this or know someone who has, I'd really appreciate any info you can offer about this. I'm seeing the person on Friday & would like to be as informed as possible.

Thanks, much!

KK4AMI
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Someone close to me has it and says that there's lots about it that just isn't understood. There are those who say it's easy to cure and that's that. There are others who say, no -- it isn't that simple. It and a bunch of other infections can result in mysterious and frustrating symptoms.

If you've been through this or know someone who has, I'd really appreciate any info you can offer about this. I'm seeing the person on Friday & would like to be as informed as possible.

Thanks, much!

Best place is CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/diagnosistreatment/index.html

My wife and dogs had it. Hmm?? Anyway its treated with antibiotics like Amoxycillian (SP). THe dogs now have a vaccine, wish humans could but they can't use it.

N8YX
05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
A cousin of mine had it at one point in her life. Next time I see her I'll ask a few questions regarding treatment.

n2ize
05-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Person I knew had it and needed a long course of antibiotics. I heard that sometimes it can seem to go away on its own but the infection stays live and can cause damage. It has to be killed with antibiotics. Good advice above is to check the CDC site.

W1GUH
05-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the comments. The difficulty in this case seems to be that there are malingering side effects that can go on for years and can seem debilitating to the sufferer, but nobody can really do much about it and there are those who say that this is nonsense, there's something else wrong. I have no clue WHAT the real story is, but would like to have as much good info as I can get.

ab1ga
05-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I know of one case, a friend's daughter, who contracted Lyme disease and didn't realize it for a couple of years. She steadily worsened and was ultimately hospitalized. After diagnosis, and months of recovery, she still suffers from fatigue and joint pain which limit her ability to stand for long periods, a serious impairment for a teacher. I do not have any recent info on her status, but the last I heard there was no expectation of improvement.

W5GA
05-30-2012, 05:26 PM
That's the shit that you get thrown on you in the mass grave.

n2ize
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Lyme is serious business and must be taken seriously, just as you would take tuberculosis or hepatitis very seriously. Not feeling symptoms doesn't mean the disease is not present and not doing damage. It appears to be one of those stealth illnesses that is very sneaky and once you notice something isn't right the damage has been done. I would advise finding a good doctor who specializes in such diseases. There should be plenty throughout the Northeast.

KC9ECI
05-31-2012, 03:10 PM
I was just treated for Lyme disease a few weeks ago. Had some painfull swelling and redness on my leg. I caught it early so it wasn't the typical bullseye pattern when I caught it. Doc give me some doxycycline hyclate for a 10 day treatment and it all went away. My daughter had it last summer. We didn't catch it with her until she has the bullseye. Former Chief of Police here had it a few years ago and it nearly killed him. He was off work for a long while and was even hospitalized for a time.