PDA

View Full Version : frequency question

kk4fpx
05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Is there a trick to finding what frequency someone is broadcasting on? Several times I have picked up a station that could be heard on several adjacent frequency's and sometimes even got back to them only to find out later I was off frequency and thats pribally why I got a bad signal report.

NQ6U
05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Generally, if the station you're talking to sounds intelligible on SSB, you're probably as close to being on frequency as you need to be. Of course, that's assuming your rig is working properly.

N8YX
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
If they're transmitting a carrier mode, tune for zero beat. SSB...is a little more subjective due to some folks being tone-deaf. This of course assumes that the stations in use at either end of the circuit are themselves 'on frequency' and set up correctly with regards to BFO adjustment, filter selection and passband, etc.

Tune until the other guy sounds good and ignore the rig's frequency display, unless you're operating near a band edge.

N2CHX
05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Make sure, if your rig has an RIT or other transmit/receive offset adjustment, that it is set to zero (no offset).

NQ6U
05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Make sure, if your rig has an RIT or other transmit offset adjustment, that it is set to zero (no offset).

Good advice right there. I've been burned by that one a time or two.

N2CHX
05-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Me too :-)

KG4CGC
05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh. I though this might be about finding an AMBCB or SWBCB all over the the place on frequencies they should not be on either due to poor transmission facilities or a fault in the front end of the receiver being used.
Back in the day, well it wasn't that long ago, 660 in Dixie had the trashiest transmitter around. These days I think they're under new ownership and I think they made some upgrades as they're certainly not all over the dial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLFJ_%28AM%29

kk4fpx
05-29-2012, 02:15 PM
I forgot to say I'm working ssb.I once made a contact that wasen't good on his end,when I looked him up on qrz I noticed he was sending one up.I contacted him again and he said I was clearer this time.

NQ6U
05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Oh. I though this might be about finding an AMBCB or SWBCB all over the the place on frequencies they should not be

At first, I thought it was about how often he should have sex.

NQ6U
05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
I forgot to say I'm working ssb.I once made a contact that wasen't good on his end,when I looked him up on qrz I noticed he was sending one up.I contacted him again and he said I was clearer this time.

What kind of rig are you using? Does it have RIT? If it's an older radio, has it been aligned recently?

kk4fpx
05-29-2012, 06:25 PM
It's the Radioshack htx-10.I haven't got my htx-100 yet.All it's got is a fine tuning knob.

W5GA
05-29-2012, 10:07 PM
If you're getting lousy signal reports, you're probably on frequency ok. If you were off, you'd be told about it because you'd be mostly unintelligible. If you have a really low antenna, or a lot of loss in the antenna/transmission line combo, you'll get lousy reports. Also, except for one or two days recently, 10m has been pretty much a dead zone. MUF hasn't been that high.

kk4fpx
06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I finally got my htx-100.It seems to tune in to the transmittinf frequency better. After a day of use I did the mic mod for higher mic gain seems to work better.

N8YX
06-01-2012, 07:16 PM
IMO, the '100 was the better rig. Its RF/AF board is similar to the HR-2510/2600, albeit with a better SSB filtering scheme.

I made a bunch of mobile contacts with my HR-series rigs throughout the late 80s into the 90s...and afterwards pressed them into service in a multiport packet radio BBS/gateway. They ran nonstop for over 10 years without a failure.

KG4CGC
06-01-2012, 07:59 PM
At first, I thought it was about how often he should have sex.

There's an app for that.

W1GUH
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM

That's what made the Eico 753 so much fun. You couldn't turn off the RIT. Bigger problem than the drift.

NQ6U
06-04-2012, 07:07 PM
That's what made the Eico 753 so much fun. You couldn't turn off the RIT. Bigger problem than the drift.

That wasn't a "problem," it was a feature—Eico's patented Lid-O-Matic tuning!

NY3V
06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Was the station DX?

If so, he may have been expecting stations calling him to be furthur offset from his frequency.

(Was he operating Spread Spectrum?) ;)