PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite SCRAPPLE recipe?

WN9HJW
05-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Post Deleted

kb2vxa
05-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Scrapple is a finished product, never heard of it as an ingredient. Pan fried is excellent and the taste is like none other and no wonder when what goes into it is every part of the pig but the squeal. I have no idea where I heard that but it's something I'll never forget. Great for breakfast with eggs any way you like them.

KA9MOT
05-28-2012, 01:26 AM
We were forced to eat Scrapple when I was young.... The best way to prepare it is to remove it from the refrigerator and toss it in the trash....stir well. Nasty shit!

W3ZR
05-28-2012, 06:28 AM
I love scrapple fried hard as toast... then spread some apple butter on and enjoy.... MMMMMMMMMM Damn now I am hungry !!!!

kb2vxa
05-28-2012, 02:21 PM
So why Am I not surprised? In Eastern Pennsylvania scrapple is a staple food. On the other hand Illinois moms don't know how to cook it, if I was forced to eat it raw I'd hate it too.

KG4CGC
05-28-2012, 02:31 PM
You can't talk about scapple without mentioning livermush.

"Livermush."

Shelby: The livermush capitol of the world.

KA9MOT
05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
So why Am I not surprised? In Eastern Pennsylvania scrapple is a staple food. On the other hand Illinois moms don't know how to cook it, if I was forced to eat it raw I'd hate it too.

'Cept, I grew up in NE PA........ We ate allot of Scrapple because it was cheap.

kf0rt
05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Is that anything like "Potted Meat Product?"

KG4CGC
05-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I recall seeing real scrapple in the grocery stores when I was younger. You could see the small chunks of parts in gelatinous suspension.

WØTKX
05-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Head cheese 'n blood sausage.

kf0rt
05-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Girl at work once described something like that. Said her husband would eat it right out of the can. I didn't believe her, so she brought me a can. Still have it at work, still don't believe her.

KA9MOT
05-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Is that anything like "Potted Meat Product?"

Potted meat gave me food poisoning in 1983......... don't wanna do that again.

kb2vxa
05-29-2012, 02:19 PM
The Shelby City Council passed resolutions proclaiming that "livermush is the most delicious, most economical and most versatile of meats." Not far off the beam, it's scrapple with a few parts missing Pennsylvanians pay extra for. Now if you can see gelatin globs and various bit's it's not scrapple, just crapple. Last but not least, NEPA is EPA with an N added, scrapple is also made in SEPA or more specifically Philadelphia. Put it on a train and you have SEPTA.

"Said her husband would eat it right out of the can."
Are you sure it wasn't Spam? I've never seen scrapple in a can but I've eaten Spam that way when I discovered the bread went moldy. Deviled ham and chicken make for good sandwiches BUT I wouldn't touch potted meat with a ten foot pole or a Hungarian midget.

KA9MOT
05-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I recall seeing real scrapple in the grocery stores when I was younger. You could see the small chunks of parts in gelatinous suspension.

Head Cheese:

Scrapple:

Both are Nasty!

KA9MOT
05-29-2012, 03:39 PM
The Shelby City Council passed resolutions proclaiming that "livermush is the most delicious, most economical and most versatile of meats." Not far off the beam, it's scrapple with a few parts missing Pennsylvanians pay extra for. Now if you can see gelatin globs and various bit's it's not scrapple, just crapple. Last but not least, NEPA is EPA with an N added, scrapple is also made in SEPA or more specifically Philadelphia. Put it on a train and you have SEPTA.

"Said her husband would eat it right out of the can."
Are you sure it wasn't Spam? I've never seen scrapple in a can but I've eaten Spam that way when I discovered the bread went moldy. Deviled ham and chicken make for good sandwiches BUT I wouldn't touch potted meat with a ten foot pole or a Hungarian midget.

Potted meat right out of the can.

I am aware that NEPA is EPA. You said I was from Illinois and couldn't get good scrapple. I was just letting you know that I am from EPA, but more specifically NEPA (I grew up on Back Mountain) and not Illinois. I miss my mountain. I did not own the mountain, but in my mind it will always be MY mountain........ You can't get real Kielbasa here either. Sux to be a Polish guy in Illinois.
Also, there is no such thing as "Good" Scrapple. NASTY stuff!

KG4CGC
05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
That scrapple looks like meatloaf. A meatloaf consisting of beef, pork and liver. Seen it.

WØTKX
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2721752486_30f597faa8.jpg

KA9MOT
05-29-2012, 04:27 PM
That scrapple looks like meatloaf. A meatloaf consisting of beef, pork and liver. Seen it.

With corn meal...allot of it. No noticeable meat in it... Nasty stuff.

KA9MOT
05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2721752486_30f597faa8.jpg

That is not real scrapple either..... you can't see the meat in scrapple. Did I mention it's nasty stuff? :lol:

KG4CGC
05-29-2012, 04:29 PM
With corn meal...allot of it. No noticeable meat in it... Nasty stuff.

And when you said that I noticed the carved corn on a plate in the picture.

kf0rt
05-29-2012, 04:38 PM
And when you said that I noticed the carved corn on a plate in the picture.

That's the toilet paper for after you eat the scrapple.

KG4CGC
05-29-2012, 04:44 PM
That's the toilet paper for after you eat the scrapple.

I saw those at gift shops in quaint little redneck towns in the mountains. Scared the bejezzuz out of me! 8 years old and I could only think what?

kb2vxa
05-29-2012, 10:21 PM
"...(I grew up on Back Mountain) and not Illinois. I miss my mountain."
You miss the way it used to be, before the cowboys broke it.

"You can't get real Kielbasa here either."
All I can get is Hillshire Farm, not the best but edible.

"Sux to be a Polish guy in Illinois."
Don't feel bad, I'm German/English/Slavic and haven't had a decent meal since mom died. If I want German I have to go to Kutztown, PA, the only fish and chips around here is served with French fries and NOBODY has even HEARD of halupka or halushka! Last time I was in the local diner and ordered corned beef and cabbage with a decanter of cider vinegar the waitress gave me this odd look and what really pisses me off is they don't serve goulash anymore.

W3ZR
05-30-2012, 12:33 AM
'Cept, I grew up in NE PA........ We ate allot of Scrapple because it was cheap.

Where at in NEPA ?

kb2vxa
05-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Right about here.

KA9MOT
05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Right about here.

Yes, only a little closer to Wilkes-Barre. It's a big mountain.....

Right here: ------> https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=103+Butler+ST.+West+Wyoming,+PA&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c518ffb6f55c43:0x5f4095425f383767,103+Bu tler+St,+West+Wyoming,+PA+18644&gl=us&ei=o-fGT7KMD4qZgwf28_nzDQ&oi=geocode_result&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA

Google Maps sux.... The correct address was 107 Butler Street.

KA9MOT
05-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Crap, it is still wrong! You can see where Butler Street makes a small curve and dead ends. The street actually dead ends right before the curve. After the curve is Uncle Jack's driveway. I lived right at the curve. All of Butler Street and most of the upper portion of Brady Street is relation. My grandparents bought the whole side of the mountain (about 6 city blocks) in the early 1900's.

KA9MOT
05-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Where at in NEPA ?

Hey! You're not to far from Rickett's Glen! We used to go camping and fishing at Rickett's Glen. Also Harvey's Lake before it went all private too.

n2ize
06-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Is "scrapple" kind of like "corned beef hash" ? Or is it more like "spam: ? Spam I could never eat, so damned salty it can give a person with low blood pressure a stroke.

On the other hand I used to like corned beef hash. Either cold, right out of the can or, fried along with some sunny side up eggs and maybe some hash browns, I haven;t had it in many years though. One of these days I'll buy myself a can. I remember the brands, "Broadcast" and "Armour"... I think "Armour" also used to make sand paper.

kb2vxa
06-04-2012, 09:23 PM
"Is "scrapple" kind of like "corned beef hash" ?"

Scrapple is like... scrapple. It's unlike anything else.

"You're not to far from Rickett's Glen!"

Stop shouting at him and give him vitamin D, he'll be OK.

suddenseer
06-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Damn glad I am vegan.

KA9MOT
06-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Damn glad I am vegan.

Scrapple is mostly corn meal. That's vegetable. It just has some juices and brains mixed in. Did I mention it was NASTY stuff? :lol:

EDIT: Actually corn is a fruit, not a vegetable. My bad. Fruit comes from a flower and is pollinated, while vegetables grow under the ground (roots and tubers).

suddenseer
06-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Scrapple is mostly corn meal. That's vegetable. It just has some juices and brains mixed in. Did I mention it was NASTY stuff? :lol:

EDIT: Actually corn is a fruit, not a vegetable. My bad. Fruit comes from a flower and is pollinated, while vegetables grow under the ground (roots and tubers).I only eat fruits, veggies, and legumes, and grains. I don't think I can do the stuff in the video.

suddenseer
06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
I only eat fruits, veggies, and legumes, and grains. I don't think I can do the stuff in the video.i can still have a meal with most ham operators, ask Fred.