PDA

View Full Version : $300 motherboard, or $25 PCIe card?

KJ3N
05-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Picked up an HP Pavilion p6210y (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01859864&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4006020) as a junker a few days ago. Previous owner was told that the onboard SATA ports were dead and a replacement MB was going to cost in the neighborhood of $300. They opted to buy another PC and left this one to rot. Hey, I can always use parts. ;)

Sure enough, when I get it home, it does not recognize anything plugged into the onboard SATA ports. Well, it's not a total loss. There's an AMD II quad core CPU, 6GB of DDR2 memory, a DVD burner, and a 640GB HD. I'm sure I can use the parts in something else. Still, it's a shame to just pitch the rest, so I start doing some experimenting.

Out of curiosity, I plug the HD into my SATA to USB cradle I sometimes use to do malware and virus scans, and plug the USB cable into the back of the HP. I boot the machine and it does see the HD through the USB port. It even starts booting from the HD. :chin:

Imagine my surprise when I see a Windows 7 Ultimate boot screen. :wtf: The labels on the outside say it should have Windows 7 Home Premium. Very interesting....

Now, obviously, Windows isn't going to fully boot from USB (and it doesn't), but it indicates that the OS is somewhat intact. If I can find a way to get the HD and DVD recognized by the system, maybe I can use the recovery partition to rebuild the machine to factory spec.

So, I get one of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115072) PCIe cards that has bootable support. It's less than $30, so it's not going to cost much to at least try it.

Once the card arrives, I install it and plug in the HD and DVD. Turn on the machine, and up comes Windows 7 Ultimate with a logon with a password required. :irked: No problem; I know how to handle that. :shhh: ;)

Examination of the (now-working) system reveals nothing in the way of personal files (the shop did get those onto DVDs for them), but it looks like the recovery partition is empty. Not totally surprising, given that (technically) the wrong version of 7 is on the machine. I've seen this scenario more than a few times.

No biggie. Just whip out a bootable install DVD of anything on hand, and away we go, right? WRONG! Seems that although both the DVD and HD are now seen, the add-on card doesn't support booting from the DVD. Nuts! :irked:

Well, I did get the HD to boot from USB, so now I'm getting one of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106356) to add to the bench. That should solve the problem nicely. I'm so confident that it will, that I ordered a set of recovery DVDs from HP. Only cost me $15.

$25 + $15 = $40 spent so far. I'm not counting the USB DVD burner, because I'm sure I'll find many uses for it down the road. But, even if I did, that still brings me in at $75. I can live with it.

Once the USB burner gets here (only ordered it today), I'll report back on how the total wipe and reformat went. :muhahaha:

KG4CGC
05-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Cool :)

KJ3N
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Update:

USB burner arrived yesterday afternoon. Recovery discs from HP arrived this morning.

"New" factory fresh image installed as of noon today. Ripped out that POS Norton Internet Security :yuck: and installed AVG. Firefox installed. Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy are next.

It's actually not a bad machine. Pretty peppy.

kf0rt
05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Cool hardware tale - good job!

That's going to be a Winders machine? Must admit, I've finally given up on Firefox for Windows 7. FF has a memory leak / caching problem that's been there forever -- fixed (finally) in 11.0 and broken again in 12.0. I give up. Switched to Chrome over the weekend.

KJ3N
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Cool hardware tale - good job!

That's going to be a Winders machine?

Yes, because I'm not going to keep it. I really don't have a use for it. It will probably go to my mother who has been using a P4 2GB XP machine that I built for her many years ago.

Must admit, I've finally given up on Firefox for Windows 7. FF has a memory leak / caching problem that's been there forever -- fixed (finally) in 11.0 and broken again in 12.0. I give up. Switched to Chrome over the weekend.

Never noticed it. I've run FF for the longest time. Don't know that I've ever had a problem with it. What should I be looking for?

N2RJ
06-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Man so much antimalware software?

I just use MSSE.

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Never noticed it. I've run FF for the longest time. Don't know that I've ever had a problem with it. What should I be looking for?

Go to a photo site (like flickr.com) and spend some time looking at pictures while you watch your memory usage. In 15-20 minutes, FF is using over a Gig of RAM. It's like the cache isn't flushing or something. This might not be an issue on a 64-bit machine with a lot of memory, but on my 32-bit Win7 machine, once FF starts pushing a lot of memory, it gets slow as hell. Swear they had it fixed in v11, but the problem's back in 12.

KJ3N
06-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Go to a photo site (like flickr.com) and spend some time looking at pictures while you watch your memory usage. In 15-20 minutes, FF is using over a Gig of RAM. It's like the cache isn't flushing or something. This might not be an issue on a 64-bit machine with a lot of memory, but on my 32-bit Win7 machine, once FF starts pushing a lot of memory, it gets slow as hell. Swear they had it fixed in v11, but the problem's back in 12.

Well, that would explain why I've never seen it. 1) I don't go to many (if any) photo sites on a regular basis. 2) I'm now running Win 7 64-bit with 8GB of RAM.

N2RJ
06-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I have 16GB in all my machines yet the mem leak is annoying.

NQ6U
06-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I've noticed this problem on my XP machine but the Mac version of FF doesn't seem to exhibit the same behavior as far as I can tell.

On edit: Okay, it does, but not to the extreme described. After several hours of use, I found FF's memory use was about 120MB larger than it was after a relaunch.

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I finally gave up. Have been using Chrome for over a week now and so far, it "just works."

N2RJ
06-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I use Chrome on mac exclusively, except for a few sites which apparently only work with Safari.

I have FF for testing and whatnot though.

NQ6U
06-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I tried Chrome on both Mac and PC but didn't like it much. YMMV, of course. FF is still my fave.

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Been using FF for years, but this leak problem is what swayed me. Just got tired of restarting the browser. That, and Google never continued FF support for Google Toolbar. All that stuff's just ingrained in Chrome, so...

ad4mg
06-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I finally gave up. Have been using Chrome for over a week now and so far, it "just works."

I am using the Chromium browser in Ubuntu right now, it's much the same as Chrome. It's a little flaky, I see that problem with Chromium that some are reporting here, when you try to reply with a quote to a particular message, no quote is displayed. All you get is a blank slate. Intermittent, happens when it wants to.

That hasn't happened with Firefox yet. Haven't checked for the memory leak in FF under Ubuntu, but I'll monitor it next time I run the FF browser. I see it big time with XP.

N2RJ
06-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I tried Chrome on both Mac and PC but didn't like it much. YMMV, of course. FF is still my fave.

Yeah the fullscreen mode could use some work but Chrome is nice otherwise.