PDA

View Full Version : Let's not forget where we came from... amazing stuff

KC2IFR
05-26-2012, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S6gXmElHoI&feature=related

NQ6U
05-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Man, and I thought the fan on my 12V power supply was loud...

VE7DCW
05-26-2012, 11:25 PM
....... and what can you say about that cooling water fountain? Both decorative and functional at the same time!! :-D

A very cool video ...... I enjoyed watching that! :yes:

N8YX
05-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Meh...I've seen bigger stations in the rear sections of the more prominent Super Bowler's Suburbans...:whistle:

kb2vxa
05-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Once upon a time we had one in Tuckerton, New Jersey, the beast used a 200KW Goldschmitt alternator.

KG4CGC
05-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Meh...I've seen bigger stations in the rear sections of the more prominent Super Bowler's Suburbans...:whistle:

Truth. I hear that now, 5 alternators is passe and they've gone to more along with what basically equals a mobile sub station power grid.

suddenseer
05-27-2012, 03:41 PM
My friend K8IO (ex WD8KMX) was the chief engineer at WLW which means he lived at the transmitter site. There was a time that "the nation station" ran 500,000 watts. I think I could consider myself as Paul's Elmer as i got him interested in ham radio when he was a c'ber on my neighborhood. We got our first phone license about the same time. He did something with it compared to me. He is truly a radio god. That vid showed an awesome curtain array, btw.

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/cinc/wlwpix.htm

KG4NEL
05-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Always liked the look of those Blaw-Knox towers :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/WLW_mast.jpg

N2RJ
05-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Once upon a time we had one in Tuckerton, New Jersey, the beast used a 200KW Goldschmitt alternator.

I think w2gd may have used one of those for a 160m contest.

kb2vxa
05-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Sounds like another N2OO only Bob wouldn't lug that mofo out on Sandy Hook.

N2RJ
05-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Sounds like another N2OO only Bob wouldn't lug that mofo out on Sandy Hook.

John used the USCG station in sandy hook. He beat out W8JI among others. They got a bc site to use this year. Killer signal. John is like the amazing spider man - climbs that mofo like it was an escalator at the mall.

kb2vxa
05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
This year's contest info is just a bit confusing. I don't know where the "N2CW club station at the former marine radio WSC site" came from, as I know it that's the South Jersey DX Association W2WSC club station. Then they say it's near West Creek, it's IN West Creek at the foot of Murphy Drive and I should know, I lived in the shadow of the LW tower. I don't know where the idea it's a broadcast site came from, WYRS (LPFM) is a Christian non commercial station located entirely in Bob Wick's basement in Manahawkin.

"John is like the amazing spider man - climbs that mofo like it was an escalator at the mall."

Like the Spider Man who fairly recently did a face plant into the stage John is lucky to be alive after a tower he was installing collapsed and took him down with it. Lucky he landed in a mud puddle when the tower fell on him, DAMN lucky.

N2RJ
05-29-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't know where the idea it's a broadcast site came from, WYRS (LPFM) is a Christian non commercial station located entirely in Bob Wick's basement in Manahawkin.

That's what they used. Still a broadcast site, even though LPFM.

wm3o
05-30-2012, 09:49 AM
i have driven by WYRS many many times. my XYL is from Manahawkin.

kb2vxa
05-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Manahawkin, gateway to LBI, summer home of horseflies, green heads, mosquitoes and shoobies. Ask her what she hates most.