PDA

View Full Version : Friend or Fraud ?

n2ize
05-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Wonder what this means. I was about to order a part for something from ebay. I logged into my ebay account but then when i went to pay ebay said I need to log into my paypal account. So I tried but I forgot my password so they sent me an email with a link to reset my password. I followed the link and then it says they want additional verification and they ask me for my credit card number. Immediately a red flag goes up. The site seems legit, and seems to have the proper security certaificates and my browser says it is a trusted site. But I am still a bit wary. Does pay pal generally request that you enter credit card numbers for additional verification ? Anyone ever experience this ? its probably legit but I just want to make sure.

W3WN
05-23-2012, 08:03 PM
I've had to log into PayPal from eBay when completing a transaction. That part is routine.

But I never recall being asked to verify a credit card number. Yellow flag, proceed with caution.

(Is it possible that your cc info on file is expired?)

KG4CGC
05-23-2012, 08:07 PM
I say Red Flag and check the address in the navigation bar. You should find some awry there. If not, then they are very good and I'd notify PP either way.

WØTKX
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Go to PayPal directly and see what's up.

n2ize
05-23-2012, 11:32 PM
I decided not to submit the credit card number. I am ordering a carb repair kit for that weed trimmer I wrote about a week or so ago. I found it on sale elsewhere for a buck more than they wanted on ebay. I'll buy it there instead of ebay. I prefer not to use paypal anyway.

KG4CGC
05-24-2012, 12:59 AM
It still just sounds fishy. Then again, I've never reset a PW through PP.

n2ize
05-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Well no worry's about paypal now. I bought all the parts I needed from a lawn mower repair shop in Texas. Saves me the trouble of having to order the carb kit from one place and the fuel lines and filters from another. Plus, they had a good price on the carb repair kit. Between $6 and $7 bucks instead of $12 - $15 bucks that a lot of other places were charging. Now I've got to get my chainsaw fixed. I'll probably order the parts from the same place if their service is as good as their prices.