PDA

View Full Version : Technology for Country folks.

PA5COR
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM
1. LOG ON: Makin a wood stove hotter.

2. LOG OFF: Don't add no more wood.

3. MONITOR: Keepin an eye on the wood stove.

4. DOWNLOAD: Gettin the farwood off the truk.

5. MEGA HURTZ: When yer not kerful gettin the farwood.

6. FLOPPY DISC: Whatcha git from tryin to carry too much
farwood.

7. RAM: That thar thing whut splits the farwood.

8. HARD DRIVE: Gettin home in the winter time.

9. PROMPT: Whut the mail ain't in the winter time.

10. WINDOWS: Whut to shut wen it's cold outside.

11. SCREEN: Whut to shut wen it's blak fly season.

12. BYTE: Whut them dang flys do.

13. CHIP: Munchies fer the TV.

14. MICRO CHIP: Whut's in the bottom of the munchie bag.

15. MODEM: Whut cha did to the hay fields.

16. DOT MATRIX: Old Dan Matrix's wife.

17. LAP TOP: Whar the kitty sleeps.

18. KEYBOARD: Whar ya hang the dang keys.

19. SOFTWARE: Them dang plastic forks and knifs.

20. MOUSE: Whut eats the grain in the barn.

21. MAINFRAME: Holds up the barn roof.

22. PORT: Fancy Flatlander wine

23. ENTER: Northerner talk fer "C'mon in y'all"

24. RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY: Wen ya cain't 'member whut ya
paid fer the rifle when yore wife asks.

25. MOUSE PAD: That hippie talk fer the rat hole.

N7YA
05-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Sounds like Alaskan speak there.

N2RJ
05-22-2012, 08:56 PM
We heat with wood. Best heat ever.

Heats up the house nice and warm, and cheap to boot.

Last year we heat the house all winter for about $500. Less than 1/10th what it would cost with fossil fuel.

W7XF
05-23-2012, 12:41 PM

Last year we heat the house all winter for about $500. Less than 1/10th what it would cost with fossil fuel.
Use Gov. FatAss' hot air rhetoric; you and 100 neighbours could have heated the houses for FREE xD

W3WN
05-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Use Gov. FatAss' hot air rhetoric; you and 100 neighbours could have heated the houses for FREE xDSadle Ryan with a politician? It may be a free source of hot air, but what did he ever do to you to deserve THAT?

KG4CGC
05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
In the case of Gov. Christie, you could tap methane out of that source too. Copious amounts of methane.

N2RJ
05-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Christie is actually not that bad. My property taxes are going down this year, and some hard caps to combat abuses are now in effect. For example, payout of unused sick and vacation pay for public employees is capped at 15k. Still seems like a lot but it means that we won't see hundreds of thousands of dollars being paid out to retiring employees who "saved up"* their sick and vacation days over the years so they could cash out bigtime upon retirement.

The only things I really disagree with him on are the bear hunt and his unwillingness to relax gun control laws.

His weight? Really none of my business... nor anyone else's.

*Turns out it's easy to "save up" your "unused" vacation and sick pay when they're not being recorded properly.

W3WN
05-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, you're right on that Ryan. We had 8 years of Governor "Smilin' Ed" Rendell. When he shook your hand, you had to remember to keep the other hand on your wallet. He could have had a great career as a slimy used car salesman... only everytime I say that, I have to apologize to slimy used car salesmen over the comparison.

Now we have Gov. Tom "I've Got An Axe To Grind" Corbett. Who's using the need to cut expenses to get back at those who failed to back him in the election (like the teacher's and transit unions)... purely coincidental, he assures us. Right. As the punch line goes: "his lips move!"

KG4CGC
05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Still seems like a lot but it means that we won't see hundreds of thousands of dollars being paid out to retiring employees who "saved up"* their sick and vacation days over the years so they could cash out bigtime upon retirement. What's wrong with that? That's part of the pay package. THEY EARNED IT.

*Turns out it's easy to "save up" your "unused" vacation and sick pay when they're not being recorded properly.

Makes for good rhetoric from the podium but is there proof of egregious abuse? And of that abuse, who was it?

N2RJ
05-23-2012, 03:04 PM
What's wrong with that? That's part of the pay package. THEY EARNED IT.

I'm yet to see this perk for any private sector job. Most jobs are "use it or lose it."

If I'm footin' the bill, I don't want this perk for state employees. We elected the Governor to act on our behalf, and he has.

Makes for good rhetoric from the podium but is there proof of egregious abuse? And of that abuse, who was it?

There's lots of proof of abuse, and bear in mind that some of it is completely legal. Christie worked to remove the legal part.

Even IF an employee came to work every day and didn't take vacation or sick time (super human state employees?) I would hate to think that the state was stressing people out like that. You're given vacation days to take a break from a stressful job. Sick days are for when you're sick. They're not to be banked and cashed out as a a golden parachute.

KG4CGC
05-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm yet to see this perk for any private sector job. Most jobs are "use it or lose it."

If I'm footin' the bill, I don't want this perk for state employees. We elected the Governor to act on our behalf, and he has.

There's lots of proof of abuse, and bear in mind that some of it is completely legal. Christie worked to remove the legal part.

Even IF an employee came to work every day and didn't take vacation or sick time (super human state employees?) I would hate to think that the state was stressing people out like that. You're given vacation days to take a break from a stressful job. Sick days are for when you're sick. They're not to be banked and cashed out as a a golden parachute.

Private sector jobs were not always like that. The shift towards rightwing policies over the last 3 decades made so.
As for proof of abuse, if it was legal at the time, was it them abuse or simply taking advantage of the system in place, much like what businesses do today to squeeze as much profit as possible from each employee, whether it is morally correct or not?

N2RJ
05-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Private sector jobs were not always like that. The shift towards rightwing policies over the last 3 decades made so.
As for proof of abuse, if it was legal at the time, was it them abuse or simply taking advantage of the system in place, much like what businesses do today to squeeze as much profit as possible from each employee, whether it is morally correct or not.

Most of the changes are in effect for new hires.

With regard to the benefits and pay, it also wasn't always that way. Under previous administrations they sweetened the deal as much as they could get away with.

I don't really mind the payout of unused vacation days. Sick days? Use it or lose it. Also, pay them out at the rate at which they were earned. 100% fine with that.

KG4CGC
05-23-2012, 03:21 PM
And when I was making kayaks, the use it or lose policy was in effect BUT, if you put in for vacation and were denied time because they would always say, "We can't spare you at the moment." The policy of lose it also meant that you not only lost the days at the turnover period, you lost the pay out. Even if you were denied the requested time.
Right to work basically means that an employer has the right to tell you to get fucked.

kf0rt
05-23-2012, 04:29 PM

Truth, though I'm not sure if this is due to rightwing policies.

Untill 11 years ago, I had no cap on vacation or personal time. They'd even buy back any personal time over 80 hours once a year. I had about 1,000 hours on the books. Then a rule was made (just for us "abusers") that said we had to burn one more week than we got each year. Get 4, you have to take 5. This lasted until 3 years ago when they capped everything to 240 hours vacation and pure use/lose on personal. Everyone in excess was paid out the difference. Then this year, they moved the cap to 200 hours. At 200 hours, you stop accumulating. Haven't lost any money over the deal, and it was fun taking 5 weeks off for a few years.

This has all been a pushed policy from the Corporate folks. They're in Europe.

Part of the problem is that companies don't escrow this, so it can really screw them if someone leaves with a lot of hours on the books or if they're facing a layoff situation (I've seen it).

Public sector -- I have no problem with capping vacation there either, provided the employees are given a fair chance at actually taking the time off. They really did earn it - if there's abuse, fix THAT.

N7YA
05-23-2012, 04:37 PM
In the case of Gov. Christie, you could tap methane out of that source too. Copious amounts of methane.

Shit, he would produce enough oil to keep a fishing village going all winter!

YEAH! Got my 'fat governor' joke of the day in there! :bbh:

KG4CGC
05-23-2012, 05:12 PM
From my point of view, I've been watching it from the front row seats of a hardcore rightwing state.
Rut Rut Rightwing.

N2RJ
05-24-2012, 08:26 AM
And when I was making kayaks, the use it or lose policy was in effect BUT, if you put in for vacation and were denied time because they would always say, "We can't spare you at the moment." The policy of lose it also meant that you not only lost the days at the turnover period, you lost the pay out. Even if you were denied the requested time.
Right to work basically means that an employer has the right to tell you to get fucked.

Well in that case, instead of paying overtime and sick days, the Governments really should hire enough staff instead of laying them off (yes, I agree that layoffs that result in short staffing are bad).

N2RJ
05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
This has all been a pushed policy from the Corporate folks. They're in Europe.

Part of the problem is that companies don't escrow this, so it can really screw them if someone leaves with a lot of hours on the books or if they're facing a layoff situation (I've seen it).

We have a "use it or lose it" and a limited carryover. But the employee handbook says that we really should take our vacation. Nobody I know of loses any vacation time. I get a little over a month each year including floating holidays (which are treated like vacation days) and I use it all.

Vacation is there for a reason - people need to unwind and de-stress.

Public sector -- I have no problem with capping vacation there either, provided the employees are given a fair chance at actually taking the time off. They really did earn it - if there's abuse, fix THAT.

Agreed 100%. Instead of paying large amounts of overtime, hiring should be streamlined so there's enough staff.

kf0rt
05-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Vacation is there for a reason - people need to unwind and de-stress.

True, and that's policy here too. Problem is, I'm usually rewound and restressed by 8 AM on the day back. :wtf:

WØTKX
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
As soon as everybody else shows up. :yes:

kf0rt
05-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Ayup.

KC2UGV
05-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Still seems like a lot but it means that we won't see hundreds of thousands of dollars being paid out to retiring employees who "saved up"* their sick and vacation days over the years so they could cash out bigtime upon retirement.

Why shouldn't people be paid what they earn? They earned both the sick and vacation days, so they shouldn't get paid for them?

KC2UGV
05-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Depending on your stove, you might be able to retrofit it (With minimal work) to use waste oil or wood. I just saw a Youtube video of a guy who did it. Use wood? Load it in, and burn. Want to burn off some waste oil? Insert burning can, turn on blower fan, and start dripping oil. Pretty slick.

The guy was burning filtered used motor oil, and it burned clean, with no smell. He filtered it to get out the heavy metals to not cause contamination.

N2RJ
05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Why shouldn't people be paid what they earn? They earned both the sick and vacation days, so they shouldn't get paid for them?

You don't "earn" sick days. They're given as a courtesy to you so you don't come to work sick. Many private companies call them "salary continuation" which implies that it is a courtesy.

If people are coming to work sick just so you can cash out the sick days, what's the point of giving them in the first place?

N2RJ
05-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Depending on your stove, you might be able to retrofit it (With minimal work) to use waste oil or wood. I just saw a Youtube video of a guy who did it. Use wood? Load it in, and burn. Want to burn off some waste oil? Insert burning can, turn on blower fan, and start dripping oil. Pretty slick.

The guy was burning filtered used motor oil, and it burned clean, with no smell. He filtered it to get out the heavy metals to not cause contamination.

I would rather use carbon neutral wood than oil.

I recycle all of my used oil anyway.

KG4CGC
05-24-2012, 03:41 PM
You don't "earn" sick days. They're given as a courtesy to you so you don't come to work sick. Many private companies call them "salary continuation" which implies that it is a courtesy.

If people are coming to work sick just so you can cash out the sick days, what's the point of giving them in the first place?

It is factored in as a part of your total pay. The bean counters will tell you this. Anyone who tells you it is a courtesy is blowing smoke up your skirt.

N7YA
05-24-2012, 03:54 PM

I drink it!! Im just manly that way...

N2RJ
05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
I drink it!! Im just manly that way...

I tried using it as starter fuel for the tire fire... :lol:

N2RJ
05-25-2012, 12:33 PM
It is factored in as a part of your total pay. The bean counters will tell you this. Anyone who tells you it is a courtesy is blowing smoke up your skirt.

Even so, it should be paid out annually at the rate it was earned, if it is to be paid out at all.

KC2UGV
05-26-2012, 10:27 AM

Sick days are part and parcel of your compensation package. People are adults, and they get to decide how to use their own pay.

Oh, for sure, wood is better. But, you can also burn waste veggie oil (Carbon neutral). I guess it's moot, since you recycled the used motor oil anyway. I just look at it as "do the conversion so it's there when you need it" kind of thing.

Even so, it should be paid out annually at the rate it was earned, if it is to be paid out at all.

Fine, pay it out annually then. I don't like the use/lose thing, it's a way of paying employees less than what they earned.

kb2vxa
05-26-2012, 11:04 AM
"I would rather use carbon neutral wood than oil."

How do you achieve carbon neutrality? It may be offset two ways, do you plant an equal number of trees or buy carbon credits? I'll go with James Hansen who describes offsets as “modern day indulgences, sold to an increasingly carbon-conscious public to absolve their climate sins.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hansen

KG4CGC
05-26-2012, 11:11 AM

How do you achieve carbon neutrality? It may be offset two ways, do you plant an equal number of trees or buy carbon credits? I'll go with James Hansen who describes offsets as “modern day indulgences, sold to an increasingly carbon-conscious public to absolve their climate sins.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hansen

You can make carbon neutral fuels with hemp and it's less damaging to the soil than corn, sugar beets and sorghum. Carbon neutral methane can be obtained after extracting the carbon neutral oils and carbon neutral fibers for carbon neutral paper and carbon neutral clothes.
I haven't even started on the carbon neutral medicines in abundance from the various strains of hemp. The British have even developed a pain reliever from hemp extract that doesn't produce that undesirable euphoria that makes so many governments angry.

ki4itv
05-26-2012, 11:44 AM
...The British have even developed a pain reliever from hemp extract that doesn't produce that undesirable euphoria that makes so many governments angry.

This is what happens when hall monitors grow up and try to prove how smart they are.

ad4mg
05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
The British have even developed a pain reliever from hemp extract that doesn't produce that undesirable euphoria that makes so many governments angry.

Undesirable? Damn Brits know how to ruin a party...

NQ6U
05-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Carbon neutral methane can be obtained after extracting the carbon neutral oils and carbon neutral fibers [...]

Or by a trip to Taco Bell for a bag full of bean burritos.

KG4CGC
05-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Or by a trip to Taco Bell for a bag full of bean burritos.

OK, but you first. Stick that extraction tube up yer hindquarters.

kb2vxa
05-26-2012, 06:39 PM
That's the answer to our problem right there, burn hemp, plant hemp. Earn carbon credits, plant more hemp. Never mind balancing the carbon budget, plant a surplus and sell... uh... credits to the Brits.

N2RJ
05-28-2012, 03:16 PM

You achieve it by clearing trees that have fallen and not cutting standing trees and harvesting sustainably. When you clear fallen trees you make room for new growth which arbsorbs CO2.

The state has a homeowner firewood program which allows people to get a few cords per person per year from the state forest. It is vital forestry work that helps leave room for new trees.

What I don't get is how natural gas can be environmentally friendly. It's fossil fuel and burning it releases CO2. Not to mention extracting it isn't the cleanest process either.