PDA

View Full Version : Get Power Distribution Blocks from Crutchfield

KK4AMI
05-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm trying to setup my Mobile in my truck. I managed to cleanly install 4 gauge wire from the Battery to my radio rack. I went to the Auto Parts Stores looking for a power distribution block that would handle up to 50 amps. They all gave me the stink eye and tried to sell me a cheap fuse block. Somebody turned (around 25 years old) me on to Crutchfield. Wow, those kids have to handle much more power in their souped up stereo systems. Crutchfield carries a full line of power distribution blocks that are almost pretty and can handle any mobile RF amp I will ever use.

kf0rt
05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Crutchfield's a great place to do business with, too.

KK4AMI
05-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Crutchfield's a great place to do business with, too.

My days of putting stereo systems in cars ended about 20 years ago. I could get along with just an AM radio now. I guess the music has left my soul. Since I listen to talk radio most of the time, I just can't see listening to Rush with 400 watts and a giant bass speaker in my trunk.

KG4CGC
05-21-2012, 01:30 PM
My days of putting stereo systems in cars ended about 20 years ago. I could get along with just an AM radio now. I guess the music has left my soul. Since I listen to talk radio most of the time, I just can't see listening to Rush with 400 watts and a giant bass speaker in my trunk.

Why not? It would be a good way to piss off those GD libs and receive the nod of approval from old coots everywhere, on every street corner.

KJ3N
05-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Since I listen to talk radio most of the time, I just can't see listening to Rush with 400 watts and a giant bass speaker in my trunk.

I can't see listening to Rush in the first place, but that's another discussion. :neener: :lol:

kf0rt
05-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Well, I just can't see listening to Rush at any power. :lol:

Crutchfield sells a lot of other a/v stuff too. Bought my home theater receiver there several years ago.

KK4AMI
05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I can't see listening to Rush in the first place, but that's another discussion. :neener: :lol:

Just using him as an example. Listening to him can make me wince with as little as 500 milliwatts. We do have great local talk radio in C-ville. Unfortunately, they do carry some of the national crap like him.

KK4AMI
05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Why not? It would be a good way to piss off those GD libs and receive the nod of approval from old coots everywhere, on every street corner.

... and for miles away! :)

ki4itv
05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Pick up any oxygen free wire?
I hear that's the sht. ;)

KK4AMI
05-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Pick up any oxygen free wire?
I hear that's the sht. ;)

Not at my age. I need all the oxygen I can get.

KA9MOT
05-24-2012, 12:19 AM

Ah shit... I got all excired because I thought you meant RUSH! :rock: Neil Peart is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USfsPTwSinw&feature=colike

And after watching that video, I think maybe I'll get an Amp and a Sub so I can play RUSH real load and us old guys can remember when we were carefree and invincible!

KG4NEL
05-24-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm trying to setup my Mobile in my truck. I managed to cleanly install 4 gauge wire from the Battery to my radio rack. I went to the Auto Parts Stores looking for a power distribution block that would handle up to 50 amps. They all gave me the stink eye and tried to sell me a cheap fuse block. Somebody turned (around 25 years old) me on to Crutchfield. Wow, those kids have to handle much more power in their souped up stereo systems. Crutchfield carries a full line of power distribution blocks that are almost pretty and can handle any mobile RF amp I will ever use.

4 gauge is small these days when it comes to power wires :)

I've also had good luck with these guys for 12VDC hardware, as well as audio cables: http://www.knukonceptz.com/index.cfm

kf0rt
05-25-2012, 06:29 AM
For cables, go here: http://www.monoprice.com/

I once won a bet from a guy who didn't think you could buy a HDMI cable for under $35. :lol:

KG4NEL
05-25-2012, 09:51 PM
The Monoprice RCA cables were great, but the engineers I worked with would have probably hanged me with their Displayport cables if we kept ordering them. I lost count of how many we had to return, the connectors would crack after two or three uses.

n2ize
06-02-2012, 01:13 AM

Imagine driving through the heart of ultra liberal democrat left wing San Francisco with 400 watts of Rush blasting out. Imagine shaking and rattling all those liberal commie hippie beattniks and feminazi's and democrats hanging around Haight-Ashbury with 400+ solid watts of Rush Limbaugh !! Awesome !!! A Neocon's dream !!

ad4mg
06-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Imagine driving through the heart of ultra liberal democrat left wing San Francisco with 400 watts of Rush blasting out. Imagine shaking and rattling all those liberal commie hippie beattniks and feminazi's and democrats hanging around Haight-Ashbury with 400+ solid watts of Rush Limbaugh !! Awesome !!! A Neocon's dream !!

400 watts is for wanna-be's. The Alpine system in my 4 door Bonneville is rated at 2700 watts PEP, 900 watts RMS (as noted on the amplifiers), at 4 ohms.

I'd prefer to drive through an affluent conservative neighborhood playing Linkin Park with the volume knob at 25 (max is 30). I could split their pointy little heads with that...

ETA: All purchased at Crutchfield's in Harrisonburg, Va when I was working at the (now) Miller-Coors brewery in nearby Elkton.

ki4itv
06-02-2012, 05:19 PM
400 watts is for wanna-be's. The Alpine system in my 4 door Bonneville is rated at 2700 watts PEP, 900 watts RMS (as noted on the amplifiers), at 4 ohms.

Certifiably loud as F*** too.
One of the few places I've been, in recent memory, where I could discern the various resonant frequencies of my internal organs. :cool2::yes:

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah. But... ...in a Bonneville? :lol:

ki4itv
06-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Obviously the THUMPERS with their 24" wheels never see this thing coming. :lol:

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Obviously the THUMPERS with their 24" wheels never see this thing coming. :lol:

Well, now that's a good point. :yes:

ad4mg
06-03-2012, 03:20 PM

It's a sleeper. :shock:

My wife calls it my mid-life crisis. i think she's grateful it isn't a motorcycle!

kf0rt
06-03-2012, 03:25 PM
It's a sleeper. :shock:

My wife calls it my mid-life crisis. i think she's grateful it isn't a motorcycle!

Did you "get it for a song?"

Be honest, now... :lol:

ad4mg
06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Did you "get it for a song?"

Be honest, now... :lol:

Ha! I think I paid $1800 for it in 2006. It's been a pretty good ride, still in good shape. Here's a picture I took in '06 at the house we stayed in on Massanutten Mountain, just outside of Harrisonburg:

Stealth isn't just for fighter jets... :)

KG4NEL
06-03-2012, 07:09 PM
One of the first SPL competition vehicles I sat in was a Bonny, actually...

32 8" subwoofers, around 4kW at a quarter of an ohm or thereabouts, IIRC. Needless to say, it wasn't that stealthy :-D Capable of over 150dB at the driver's headrest.

n2ize
11-16-2012, 06:41 AM

I prefer putting a shortwave receiver in my car so I can tune in to WBCQ and drive around listening to Brother Stair with the volume up full blast.

w0aew
11-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Ha! I think I paid $1800 for it in 2006. It's been a pretty good ride, still in good shape. Here's a picture I took in '06 at the house we stayed in on Massanutten Mountain, just outside of Harrisonburg:

Stealth isn't just for fighter jets... :)

Ohhhh. I thought you meant....

K8YS
11-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Crutchfield is a good resource for mobile equipment, BUT... you will find the same thing a whole lot cheaper at Parts Express.

I did the same thing when I put a big amp in the van. Distribution blocks, fuses, fuse blocks, #4 copper from a field that used to install 220V stove connections, it was beautiful.