PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate HT PUXING PX-D03

KC9ECI
05-20-2012, 09:36 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-PX-D03-PUXING-Dual-Band-Radio-for-PX-D03-/130700291073

PUXING PX-D03 Cell Phone Radio Dual Band w/MP3 Player

Frequency Range: VHF/UHF 136-174/400-470MHz
Transceiver U+V dual band
128 channels
PC programming
Dual sim cards,dual standby
MP3 Player
human-based opearational interface
cell phone+transceiver
camerra built-in
FM radio
TV player
Entertainment and Games
Short message send/receive

I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

N8YX
05-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Put 222 and 902MHz in the thing like Alinco just did and I'll gladly buy a pair.

TESLA
05-20-2012, 10:06 PM
$158 shipped from the 409Shop, just ordered one to play with, looks cool :)

Thanks!

ki4itv
05-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Human-based operational interface (?)
How long did I fooking sleep?

NQ6U
05-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Human-based operational interface (?)
How long did I fooking sleep?

[BEEP]That is an illogical question, Charles Unit. Your last reboot took approximately 10E2 solar revolutions.[BEEP]

W3WN
05-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Mike K3AIR found a nice catch at Dayton
I didn't catch the manufacturer ("Bao-" something), but the model is UV-3R
Same basic specs. 5 watts out.

$50

That's not a typo.

He did get the programming cable (software was free), extended antenna, speaker mike, and some other misc. His net cost was about $79.

Virtually a throw-away radio.

And it's Part 90 type accepted, so he can use them with Civil Air Patrol (he's going to recommend the unit to those in his squadron who need a radio). We also learned from N3FB that a lot of commercial broadcasters, including his station, buy these radios for their own internal communication needs as well.

Woof.

kf0rt
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Under $44 with free shipping on fleabay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-New-mode-UV-3R-Mark-II-136-174-400-470Mhz-Dual-Frequency-Display-radio-/110756463618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c9998402

W3WN
05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
OK, I mis-remembered the power out. Put that on me.

Still... woof.

N8YX
05-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Now put 222 and 902 in it...

PA5COR
05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Now, if it had an electric shaver and lighter in it....

KC9ECI
05-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I just got the UV-5R two weeks ago or so.

kf0rt
05-21-2012, 04:12 PM
OK, I mis-remembered the power out. Put that on me.

Still... woof.

Wonder if they're any good. At that price, disposable is about right. OTOH, if you dispose of it right out of the box...

W3WN
05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
I just got the UV-5R two weeks ago or so.
And...?

Also, did you get it from a US source, or from HK? If from HK, did you have to pay import duties to Customs?

wm3o
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Wonder if they're any good. At that price, disposable is about right. OTOH, if you dispose of it right out of the box...

make sure you fill up your landfill with this crap.

kf0rt
05-22-2012, 02:10 PM
make sure you fill up your landfill with this crap.

So... you're saying they're no good?

KC9ECI
05-22-2012, 03:10 PM
And...?

Also, did you get it from a US source, or from HK? If from HK, did you have to pay import duties to Customs?

409shop via ebay. $53 shipped. Nice little disposable radio. Build seems solid enough, but I haven't dropped it off a roof yet to see how it fares compared to the others I've done that to. Sounds good, gets out as well as any I've had including commercial HT's from the FD. Best part, for the price, I'm not going to feel nearly as bad if it gets lost on a camping trip as I would if I lost one of those little Yaesu rigs with the GPS. Nope, no import duties either. The programming software isn't the best, but works. I don't expect it will be long before someone writes some aftermarket programming software for it that works better. End of the day, it's worth $53.

W3WN
05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks. I'll take this under advisement.

wm3o
05-23-2012, 07:01 AM
why are disposable electronics good? heavy metals, rare earth components, and plastics dumped in the landfill in 3 years because you wanted to save $30.00 seems rather, well, stupid. the cost of the item is more than what you spend upfront.

KB3LAZ
05-23-2012, 08:01 AM
I have heard good things about them. RCL likes his UV-5R.

W3WN
05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
why are disposable electronics good? heavy metals, rare earth components, and plastics dumped in the landfill in 3 years because you wanted to save $30.00 seems rather, well, stupid. the cost of the item is more than what you spend upfront.Not saying that they are, nor am I saying that when their life cycle is over, the materials shouldn't be properly disposed of.

I look on these class radios the same way I look on the small digital cameras that my daughter used to learn on... these are a cheap "starter" rig. This is something that I might keep, for example, at work for use on breaks or lunch, or carry with me on events or in situations where I don't want to risk my IC-W32A.

In this situation, by "disposable" I mean that I don't expect to be able to repair it if something happens, that the cost of replacing it is less than the cost of repair (in the value my time alone)... not that I don't take care of my rigs, but things do happen & you can't anticipate anything.

More importantly... we all know of new hams or potential new hams who are concerned about the cost of equipment. (Or their spouses/parents/significant others are, on their behalf). A $50 HT to get them on the air & active strikes me as a good starter radio in these situations, and again, if something untoward happens, it can be easily replaced without much expenditure of shekels.

W3WN
05-23-2012, 08:51 AM
On that note (see above), let me add one thing...

I've asked K3AIR to give me a small write-up on his UV-3. As I think I mentioned, if they work out (and from what we saw at Hamvention on Saturday, I think they will) he's going to recommend them to his CAP troops, and I think an article in the newsletter will give the gang some ideas.

Here's one to consider: Have your club offer a Tech class for, say, $75. Cost includes ARRL (or equivalent) study guide as a "text book." Anyone who passes their Tech gets issued a UV-3, pre-programmed for the club & other local repeaters. Will people pay it? I'm going to say "Yes" because I used to teach a Novice class at CCAC Allegheny & CCAC Boyce campuses, back in the day. And people paid over $100 each for the class.

(Funny thing, people will pay for a class you'd teach for free, but not come to the free class... even if it's the exact same class. Perception is that if it's free, it's obviously not "worth" as much as the one you have to pay for. I'm sure some psychologist will analyze the heck out of that one...)

We all know people who passed their tests but never got on the air. This can, presumably, minimize the use of that excuse. Sure, the club breaks even at best... presuming no quantity discount & everyone passes... but so what? It's worth it!

suddenseer
05-23-2012, 09:06 AM
$50.?? Wow. My vhf/uhf walkie talkies are motorola or GE I had to mod them for ham radio. They don't have mp3 players. wow. I want one.

W3ZR
05-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Mike K3AIR found a nice catch at Dayton
And it's Part 90 type accepted, so he can use them with Civil Air Patrol.

While no one in National may catch him at first with that unit, just because it is part 90 accepted does NOT mean its good for CAP...
National has a growing list of forbidden radios, and basically if it not capable of P25 encrypted... its out.

N8YX
05-28-2012, 05:20 AM
National has a growing list of forbidden radios, and basically if it not capable of P25 encrypted... its out.
Interesting. So CAP is thinking about utilizing P25 or perhaps is doing so already?

W3ZR
05-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Doing so already... Real nice EF Johnson stuff.... sucks though... finally when gear has gotten inexpensive enough you can outfit an entire squadron
for around a grand or two, they change the rules... I guess security vs. being able to notify the membership rapidly was a trade off national was
willing to make...

(not that much CAP does is or should be "secret", and those are the exceptions.)

W3WN
05-28-2012, 09:21 PM
While no one in National may catch him at first with that unit, just because it is part 90 accepted does NOT mean its good for CAP...
National has a growing list of forbidden radios, and basically if it not capable of P25 encrypted... its out.I think you are extrapolating more than you should from a single sentence. If you have a concern, talk directly to Mike.

But if you think I'm going to argue with a communications attorney, who is retired USAF, about an area of his expertise that I know nothing about... you've got another thing coming.

In short: don't sweat the small stuff.

KK4AMI
05-29-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm selling my wife on this little gem. If I put the sim card from my current phone in the PX-DO3, I solve all my communications needs. My first 2m radio, a cell phone and VHF Marine for on my boat.

KC9ECI
07-02-2012, 03:30 PM
$158 shipped from the 409Shop, just ordered one to play with, looks cool :)

Thanks!

Ever show up?