PDA

View Full Version : Another of the Disco era gone

K7SGJ
05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
It appears that Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees has died at 62 from cancer. This on the heels of Donna Summer passing last week. RIP

N8YX
05-20-2012, 07:54 PM
That family has had its share of successes and tragedies over the years...sad to see the band checking out one by one.

W4GPL
05-20-2012, 08:08 PM
sad to see the band checking out one by one.Would you rather they all go at once? :P

N8YX
05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Would you rather they all go at once? :P
We could go a ways down the philosophical trail with this line of thought...who knows what the Gibb family might have wanted in this regard? I can only speak for myself in that it would be extremely difficult for me to watch both family members and business partners - close one at that - succumb one by one to the ravages of time and of affliction.

Maybe it would be best to go with your band mates, a la Skynyrd.

W4GPL
05-20-2012, 08:28 PM
:dunno: Other than being celebrities, I'm not sure how their situation is any different than what millions of families go through every day. Family members get sick and die.

Your comment struck me as odd, I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it though. :)

N8YX
05-20-2012, 08:37 PM
:dunno: Other than being celebrities, I'm not sure how their situation is any different than what millions of families go through every day. Family members get sick and die.

Your comment struck me as odd, I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it though. :)
I watched a documentary about the Bee Gees a while back...losing Maurice and Andy one by one really did some emotional damage to the balance of the family. What I took away from the program is that they were more tightly knit than your average group of kinfolk and relied heavily on each other for their successes.

Makes it hard to go on when you're among the last, or so was the impression I got.

KB3LAZ
05-21-2012, 05:49 AM
I actually know who this one is. Er..was.

koØm
05-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Would you rather they all go at once? :P

Our local Library had a book sale and my daughter (born 1982) found this book (http://books.google.com/books/about/Do_You_Remember.html?id=w3li4BH-pggC) for 2 bucks.

"Chronicle Books, May 1, 1996 - 144 pages
Remember the Bionic Woman, Dippity Doo, Pop Rocks, Planet of the Apes, Peter Frampton, and white lipstick? Do You Remember? takes readers back to a simpler, tackier time, when TV shows were unabashedly corny and shags (carpets and hairdos) were all the rage. Over 130 images of long-lost-pop-culture items and unforgettable icons from the '50s, '60s, '70s, and even early '80s fill the pages of this wacky collection. Do You Remember? is the perfect gift for baby-boomers. "

She thought it was a riot, so many items that are taken for granted now were "POP" then.

Where did all my cultural Icon go?