PDA

View Full Version : Seen at Hamvention 2012

W3WN
05-20-2012, 01:58 PM
The good news is, no signs of a waste hauler or pumper this year... well, except for pictures of last year's at one or two vendors...
(all photos are at 10% of original size in order to upload, so allow accordingly)
5823 WM3O & WW3DE (formerly of ARRL Hq)
5824WA6MHZ & YF... funny, she doesn't look like a nun...
5825K3LID aka WM3O... don't blame me pal, I didn't force that tag on you...
5826Fred, don't let 'DSG see this one.
5827Mr. MFJ himself, Martin F. Jue... no sign of the other more infamous Martyn...

Hmmm. I must have hit a limit. More to come in a subsequent post.

N7YA
05-20-2012, 05:36 PM
15 years on and my MFJ-949E tuner still works like a charm.

W3WN
05-20-2012, 05:58 PM
A couple more real quick... I have a couple of hundred pictures to go through, there was all sorts of great stuff in the flea market (I drooled over that near-mint SX-117, but alas, $400 for rear brakes and rear springs takes precedence over a toy) :
The new Ten-Tec Argonaut VI, although the debut is now pushed back to the fall. The companion new Model 418 linear was there as well, for some reason that photo won't upload (might need to be resized)

Hmmm. These two look vaguely familiar... 5830

KG4CGC
05-20-2012, 06:08 PM
<snip>

They're in movies.

W3WN
05-20-2012, 06:09 PM
The new Kenwood TS-990S. Display unit was under glass, and the rear panel was hidden from view. It's not yet been approved for sale.

And the new Yaesu FTDX-9000.

KG4CGC
05-20-2012, 06:18 PM
The new Kenwood TS-990S. Display unit was under glass, and the rear panel was hidden from view. It's not yet been approved for sale.

And the new Yaesu FTDX-9000.

Yours didn't show up so here.
http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990-kenwood-dayton-ohio-hamvention/

K7SGJ
05-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Wow, all that and it's only $499.98. I'm puttin in my order tomorrow.

W3WN
05-21-2012, 08:21 AM
http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990-kenwood-dayton-ohio-hamvention/That's odd. I thought they uploaded, but only the attachment tag appeared. Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong...

KB3LAZ
05-21-2012, 10:33 AM
A couple more real quick... I have a couple of hundred pictures to go through, there was all sorts of great stuff in the flea market (I drooled over that near-mint SX-117, but alas, $400 for rear brakes and rear springs takes precedence over a toy) :
The new Ten-Tec Argonaut VI, although the debut is now pushed back to the fall. The companion new Model 418 linear was there as well, for some reason that photo won't upload (might need to be resized)

Fall you say. Hum, perfect. I have a cash stash aside from shack liquidation. When that comes out I may go with that for QRP and get the 100w K3 rather than the 10w. ..Maybe. I really have an urge to go all QRP.

N2RJ
05-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a couple of hundred pictures to go through, there was all sorts of great stuff in the flea market (I drooled over that near-mint SX-117, but alas, $400 for rear brakes and rear springs takes precedence over a toy)

Sometimes I'm so glad I'm able to do my own auto work.

KB3LAZ
05-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Sometimes I'm so glad I'm able to do my own auto work.

Me too. It helps that I oversaw the assembly of my car too (not my particular car, well, its possible). In fact, before I was promoted I assembled the front cradle of my car, did the welding, assembled radiators, etc. Its nice knowing your car inside and out.

W1GUH
05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
WN:

(I drooled over that near-mint SX-117, but alas, $400 for rear brakes and rear springs takes precedence over a toy) :

What was the asking for that rx?

And now I gotta take an OF nap....those pix reminded me of how tiring that hamfest can be. Well, no, it's not the hamfest that's tiring it's the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong drive PLUS all the hassles of getting to Hara once you're there.

W3WN
05-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Sometimes I'm so glad I'm able to do my own auto work.I did my own front brakes, the rear ones caught me by surprise.

Oh well. I do a lot of my own work, but I just can't do everything.

W3WN
05-21-2012, 11:32 AM
WN:

What was the asking for that rx?

And now I gotta take an OF nap....those pix reminded me of how tiring that hamfest can be. Well, no, it's not the hamfest that's tiring it's the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong drive PLUS all the hassles of getting to Hara once you're there.The one I saw? Over 4 bills. I heard about at least two others as well.

W1GUH
05-21-2012, 11:45 AM
The one I saw? Over 4 bills. I heard about at least two others as well.

Thanks. At that price, IMHO, it's proper to walk away. Saw one at Deerfield last year in darn good shape, at least very good if not excellent for nowhere near that.

About working on one's own car...

Did that for years and years. And when I add up all the stuff I had to learn by doing it twice....all the busted knuckles...all the time spent bent over at the sink to scrub and scrub and scrub and STILL have grease "under my fingernails" (Thanks, Mr. Chapin!)....it was a happy day when I got to retire form "backyard auto repair." Of course, that only works if you know a shop that does superb work for a decent and fair labor rate, AND, once the relationship is established starts cutting deals on older car repairs.

W3WN
05-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Fall you say. Hum, perfect. I have a cash stash aside from shack liquidation. When that comes out I may go with that for QRP and get the 100w K3 rather than the 10w. ..Maybe. I really have an urge to go all QRP.Do the K3. And here's why: You can always crank the power down to 10 W or less. Going the other way can be a LOT tougher!

W3WN
05-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Let's try this again:

FTdx5000 5838
FTdx90005839
TS-990 5840

kf0rt
05-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Nice to see that TS-990. Anyone guessing the price?

$5,999.95?

W3WN
05-21-2012, 12:55 PM

$5,999.95?Now, that's a funny thing.

Someone was quizzing the Kenwood rep, and all he would say was that THEIR guess (in not so many words) would be more than $5K but less thatn $10K. It won't get priced until it passes FCC certification... and they're convinced it will, since they have a testing lab with identical conditions.

The '990 is supposed to be direct competition for the FTdx9000. Yeah, he actually said that. But if anyone asked about comparing it to an Elecraft K3 or a Ten-Tec, he repeated that it was competition for the '9000, and wouldn't budge from that position. No mention of ICOM in that breath, either. Take that for what you will.

KB3LAZ
05-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Do the K3. And here's why: You can always crank the power down to 10 W or less. Going the other way can be a LOT tougher!

Oh, I intend to get a K3. I was just thinking that getting that to sit beside it would be nice as well.

N8YX
05-21-2012, 01:53 PM

$5,999.95?
Don't know, but 'DSG wants a pair of PT8000s for our SO2R setup...

KB3LAZ
05-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Hum, been doing some thinking. I may go with a K3/10 for CW and SSB desk top QRP and an Omni VII for casual ragchew. Throw the new ten-tec into the mix when it comes out.

N2RJ
05-21-2012, 02:39 PM

I don't like them. They seem to be an awful waste of money.

If I had to buy a new radio now I would buy the Flex 6000 series.

W3WN
05-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Hum, been doing some thinking. I may go with a K3/10 for CW and SSB desk top QRP and an Omni VII for casual ragchew. Throw the new ten-tec into the mix when it comes out.
Or you could get the new Ten Tec 418 linear when it comes out, which should be soon. 10 in, 100 out. And (they say) it will work on any 10 W piece of amateur gear.

KB3LAZ
05-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Or you could get the new Ten Tec 418 linear when it comes out, which should be soon. 10 in, 100 out. And (they say) it will work on any 10 W piece of amateur gear.

Thats no fun. Then I will only have one rig. Pft.

W3WN
05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Thats no fun. Then I will only have one rig. Pft.
Why, he's no fun. He fell right over!Now, now. I didn't say that. Just giving you another option to consider... you could get both an Elecraft K3/10 and a Ten-Tec 539 this way, and move the 418 amp between the two of them as needed.
Wait a minute! Didn't I say that on the other side of the record? I'd better check...

KB3LAZ
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Now, now. I didn't say that. Just giving you another option to consider... you could get both an Elecraft K3/10 and a Ten-Tec 539 this way, and move the 418 amp between the two of them as needed.

True but I am very indecisive and I really have liked the Omni VII for a long time. xD Thus my reasoning for throwing it in the mix.

kf0rt
05-21-2012, 04:10 PM

One blue, one red?

N8YX
05-21-2012, 05:06 PM
One blue, one red?
Green and gray, and I tend to agree with Ryan's comments. I just wish Elecraft would put the K3 in a bigger box.

suddenseer
05-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Don't know, but 'DSG wants a pair of PT8000s for our SO2R setup...It has to be wonderful to be married to a YL operator who wants to spend more on radio equipment, and antenna systems than you do.

KG4NEL
05-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Green and gray, and I tend to agree with Ryan's comments. I just wish Elecraft would put the K3 in a bigger box.

Small fingers crew checking in :-D

N2RJ
05-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Hell I just wish they wouldn't make the radio so damned ugly and cheap looking.

N7YA
05-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Appearances notwithstanding, i would be all about a K3.

KB3LAZ
05-23-2012, 04:19 AM
I am not a fan of the looks either. Then again, I have not been crazy about the looks of any amateur radio made in the last half century.

N7YA
05-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Yeah, i certainly wont be buying it to enter a beauty contest, im looking to log some DX.

N8YX
05-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Yeah, i certainly wont be buying it to enter a beauty contest, im looking to log some DX.

It's a little on the small size for me. Make a K4 version with the same overall dimensions and ergos as the Orion and I'm definitely going to buy one - or two.

N7YA
05-23-2012, 05:35 AM
They have a K1 and a K2...im sure its coming.

W3WN
05-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah, i certainly wont be buying it to enter a beauty contest, im looking to log some DX.I hear ya. But, do you buy the radio for it's looks, or for how it works?

Is this pretty? 5848

Or is it functional?

On the other hand... is this pretty?5849

I'd say that there's no doubt, but IIRC, Hallicrafters hired someone at the time to make the radios LOOK good as well as operate good. Who spends money on that anymore?

NQ6U
05-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, in this beholder's eye, the beauty of the K3 comes from the performance of it's receiver. It's simply the best on the market right now at any price. Ten Tec comes close, but is not quite the Elecraft's equal.

KB3LAZ
05-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, in this beholder's eye, the beauty of the K3 comes from the performance of it's receiver. It's simply the best on the market right now at any price. Ten Tec comes close, but is not quite the Elecraft's equal.

I have grown to have a fascination with the K3 that is quite significant. That being said, I still want to get it as the K3/10 for dedicated QRP use. Where as I do like to play with CW it does not thrill me to the ends of the earth, nor am I very good at it, in fact I am dreadfully slow. The K3 seems to be the main choice for DXers, Contesters, and heavy CW users. I on the other hand am 95% SSB ragchew in mornings and early evenings. I seem to only get competitive when I am running QRP, Idk why. From what I have heard on many accounts is that the K3 is quite narrow on both receive and transmit. I assume this can be remedied somewhat by the use of the AM filter and the DSP on sideband but I am not yet that intimate with the radio. Point is, before I decide to put that much faith (or at least more than I already have) I will need to have it sitting on my desk, at my fingertips for a few months.

This is where the Omni VII comes into play, my SSB ragchew needs. And ofc my picky ears. I have heard this on the air numerous times and have got to chat on one extensively in the past. I just adore this radio for such uses. Yes, I am one of those ESSB bums but that is another story.

Anyway, I have got to play with both the K3 and the Omni VII but neither for what I would consider a satisfactory amount of time. Also, never on the same bench. This is something I must do. I need a dedicated QRP rig, dedicated SSB/CW 100w rig, and ofc a dedicated AM setup. That is just my way. Ofc, this excludes my crazy need to collect receivers but again, that is another story.

I sure do miss having my vintage receivers at my finger tips. But alas, nothing will be decided until later this year. Im the move to Spain is a permanent thing they will make their way over here. xD

N8YX
05-23-2012, 10:26 AM
You can always get an RX-340 and a Jupiter or Omni VII then use N4PY's software to slave them together, thereby turning the transceiver into the sub-receiver.

W3WN
05-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, in this beholder's eye, the beauty of the K3 comes from the performance of it's receiver. It's simply the best on the market right now at any price. Ten Tec comes close, but is not quite the Elecraft's equal.One can argue the point, and it may come down to the actual radios being looked at. It's very close, IMHO, almost a photo finish.

Right now, W3WH has a K3 and an Omni V. Which receiver performs better? You might be surprised.

That said, I'd love to get my hands on an Eagle or an Omni VII and do the same comparison. (Not that I'd turn down an Orion or Orion II, mind you, but let's be practical...)

Also, it must be stated: Why do so many DXpeditions of late seem to favor the K3 over everyone else's equipment?

(1) No doubt, it's one of the best transceivers on the market.
(2) It's smaller & lighter than most of the transceivers in it's class. Considering weight issues and luggage limitations while travelling by air, that IS a significant factor.
(3) Elecraft, to their credit, arranges loans of equipment to DXpeditions under the right circumstances (no, I don't know how they determine that). Yaesu & ICOM do as well, of late. Ten-Tec does not, as far as I know. I don't know about Kenwood either way.

Clearly, Elecraft is taking the same road that Yaesu & ICOM have (and I think Kenwood used to... again, I honestly don't know). And there's nothing at all wrong with reaping some free publicity via the equipment loans. Plus, having a crew of experienced ops sing the praises of your equipment definitely helps. Not every manufacturer chooses or has chosen in the past to do so.

If you look on the Ten-Tec web site, their "community" photo gallery shows quite a few DX stations with their equipment, including a recent DXpedition to Costa Rica. Who knew? I certainly didn't, and TT didn't sing the praises of this station using their gear. I guess they've chosen a different route.

This is not intended as a criticism of Elecraft, mind you. Just pointing out that there are extenuating circumstances as to how & why a DXpedition picks certain equipment, having a top-notch rig isn't enough.

N8YX
05-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Give me a spot that's rare enough and I'll generate a pileup with an RCI-2950. Might piss off those who want to work the location on anything except 10M, but them's the breaks. :snicker:

KG4CGC
05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/e1a4f30d.jpg

N2RJ
05-23-2012, 03:13 PM

The K3 isn't the best on the market, but it's up there. The FTDX5000D is at the top of the list.

THe receiver specs of the K3 are top notch but I do like a good looking radio.

NQ6U
05-23-2012, 03:22 PM
The K3 isn't the best on the market, but it's up there. The FTDX5000D is at the top of the list.

THe receiver specs of the K3 are top notch but I do like a good looking radio.

I'm strictly talking about the quality of the receiver, nothing else, and in that respect the K3 outperforms the absurdly overpriced Yaesu. The FTDX5000D is for people who have lots of money and can't read a spec sheet.

N8YX
05-23-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm strictly talking about the quality of the receiver, nothing else, and in that respect the K3R-4C outperforms the absurdly overpriced YaesuCollins. The FTDX5000D75S-3C is for people who have lots of money and can't read a spec sheet.
...the more things change, the more they stay the same...

WØTKX
05-23-2012, 04:03 PM
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

The spec wars! My best rig is the Flex 3000.

And the specs for rejecting strong signals shows some interesting info, comparing the K3 and Ten Tec specs to the Top Gun Yaesu. Many of the specs that give the Yaesu top billing are past the point of mattering very much. FWIW, even the older rigs further down the list hear well enough, with extra points for selectivity more important once again.

Spec hounds? :hand:

They got sold Bose 901's and Marantz amps/receivers. Those that listened got sold Sansui and Yamaha.

My name is Dave, and welcome to (Sound West/Schaak/Audio King/Team Electronics)!

Everybody got a Dual Turntable and a Micro Acoustics cartridge, or STFU. :lol:

KG4CGC
05-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Everybody, wang chung tonight.

N8YX
05-23-2012, 04:09 PM

They got sold Bose 901's and Marantz amps/receivers. Those that listened got sold Sansui and Yamaha...
Sansui 9090 or G8000 FTW! :rock:

WØTKX
05-23-2012, 04:11 PM
This is an older crowd, for the most part. Hokie Pokie or Polka is more like it. ;)

WØTKX
05-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I had two 9090's. Liked 'em better than Crown.

Speaker freaker, I loved Heil ESS, Dahlquist, and Tannoy. MmmMmmm, Tannoy.
Some Bose were decent, like the 501's. JBL bothered me, too much mid highs.

I built some particle board towers that sounded effing great years ago.

Ever notice how speakers are like antennas?
As in more important than anything else?

: hijack: :lol:

N7YA
05-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I hear ya. But, do you buy the radio for it's looks, or for how it works?

Is this pretty? 5848

Or is it functional?

On the other hand... is this pretty?5849

I'd say that there's no doubt, but IIRC, Hallicrafters hired someone at the time to make the radios LOOK good as well as operate good. Who spends money on that anymore?

Ill be honest, Ron, if i had a sparkling new K3 sitting on this desk right here, it would sure look beautiful to me! :yes:

The Hallicrafters is a gorgeous rig, to be sure. But i would have one for that and the nostalgic value, even though its a great rig in its own right.

kf0rt
05-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Heath AR-1500 :neener: :rofl:

N8YX
05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
HeathBushmaster AR-1500 :neener: :rofl:

Serious thread hijackery, and the only Halli products I'm interested in are the SR-2000 and the FPM-200. Sorry, Pat...

W1GUH
05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I had two 9090's. Liked 'em better than Crown.

Speaker freaker, I loved Heil ESS, Dahlquist, and Tannoy. MmmMmmm, Tannoy.
Some Bose were decent, like the 501's. JBL bothered me, too much mid highs.

I built some particle board towers that sounded effing great years ago.

Ever notice how speakers are like antennas?
As in more important than anything else?

: hijack: :lol:

The way I learned to put together a system is to find the speakers you like, then get the power they need. Guess we could bring up east coast (subdued and stuffy, as in AR) vs West Coast (bright and open) sound? Always favored West coast sound.

W3WN
05-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Ill be honest, Ron, if i had a sparkling new K3 sitting on this desk right here, it would sure look beautiful to me! :yes:

The Hallicrafters is a gorgeous rig, to be sure. But I would have one for that and the nostalgic value, even though its a great rig in its own right.Well, that was kinda the point.

If you want a radio that LOOKS good, you can find some gorgeous LOOKING radios without too much difficulty. (That the pictured SX-115 also PERFORMED well is a bonus).

In terms purely of aesthetics, the K3 will never LOOK as good as an SX-115. Performance wise? Take the K3 every night of the week and twice on Sunday, without thinking about it.

W3WN
05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Serious thread hijackery, and the only Halli products I'm interested in are the SR-2000 and the FPM-200. Sorry, Pat...I don't remember seeing any FPM-200's in the flea market, or an FPM-300 for that matter. I'm pretty sure I spotted one SR-2000, but my mind may be playing tricks & I'm thinking of last year. I'll have to go through the photos to see if I snapped one.

Closest I saw was an SR-160. Tempting, if I'd had the shekels. But still a touch on the high side, price wise.

I hope one day to have the "classic" station back together -- HT-37, SX101A or 111 or 115, and an HT-32 linear (mine was modded for 572B's, I'm so sorry I had to part with it). But the odds don't look good. The Hallicrafters gear has attracted a lot of attention from the collector's market, and they are or have been driving prices up.

KG4NEL
05-23-2012, 08:51 PM

At one of the local audio BBQ/get-togethers around here, someone brought a G-33000. Now that's a receiver...

I don't think Hallicrafters rigs look all that good, personally :(

N8YX
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
At one of the local audio BBQ/get-togethers around here, someone brought a G-33000. Now that's a receiver...

I don't think Hallicrafters rigs look all that good, personally :(

Are ye worthy?

Only 25 of these were built. Two years ago I saw an example which had been submerged fetch in excess of $2500! :shock:

KB3LAZ
05-24-2012, 04:39 AM
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

The spec wars! My best rig is the Flex 3000.

And the specs for rejecting strong signals shows some interesting info, comparing the K3 and Ten Tec specs to the Top Gun Yaesu. Many of the specs that give the Yaesu top billing are past the point of mattering very much. FWIW, even the older rigs further down the list hear well enough, with extra points for selectivity more important once again.

They got sold Bose 901's and Marantz amps/receivers. Those that listened got sold Sansui and Yamaha.

My name is Dave, and welcome to (Sound West/Schaak/Audio King/Team Electronics)!

Everybody got a Dual Turntable and a Micro Acoustics cartridge, or STFU. :lol:

How many people are even going to notice the slight difference between the top ten rigs on the sherwood chart anyway? I mean practically, not with test equipment.

PA5COR
05-24-2012, 07:12 AM
I listen with my ears, not with the Sherwood table.
Te FT 847 wit Collins filters and FT 2000 D pulled in stations from all around the world and i worked them too.

Looking at the Sherwood table i woul have been glad to just work Europe ....
LOL.

suddenseer
05-24-2012, 07:51 AM
How many people are even going to notice the slight difference between the top ten rigs on the sherwood chart anyway? I mean practically, not with test equipment.I have tinnitus in both ears, I don't notice the difference of cheap, or expensive gear anymore.

N8YX
05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
I have tinnitus in both ears, I don't notice the difference of cheap, or expensive gear anymore.

The real gotcha here is frequency stability and internally generated noise...and there are trade-offs when either criteria is emphasized. I had an interesting discussion with a Ten-Tec rep yesterday regarding this.

N2RJ
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
How many people are even going to notice the slight difference between the top ten rigs on the sherwood chart anyway? I mean practically, not with test equipment.

Anything above 80dB dynamic range narrow spaced, 99% of people will be happy with.

Certainly casual rag chewers like yourself and Cor won't really notice the difference.

N2RJ
05-24-2012, 08:34 AM
I have tinnitus in both ears, I don't notice the difference of cheap, or expensive gear anymore.

The difference is when dealing with a lot of signals packed closely together, such as a contest or DXpedition. That is where rigs like the K3 shine, but mostly on CW.

N2RJ
05-24-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm strictly talking about the quality of the receiver, nothing else, and in that respect the K3 outperforms the absurdly overpriced Yaesu.

No it don't, at least not according to lab tests.

BUt practically speaking they are pretty much the same.

N7YA
05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
The difference is when dealing with a lot of signals packed closely together, such as a contest or DXpedition. That is where rigs like the K3 shine, but mostly on CW.

Perfect! Im sold.

suddenseer
05-24-2012, 10:44 AM
The difference is when dealing with a lot of signals packed closely together, such as a contest or DXpedition. That is where rigs like the K3 shine, but mostly on CW.CW has always been my main hf/vhf mode. I wear earphones. Nowadays, I have trouble picking out strong signals with a narrow crystal filter. I have WAS qrp, so I know the frustrations many cw ops have. it took me 25 years to get the last 5 states. I messed up my hearing playing loud music without protection. When I get a gig now, I put in the foam earplugs to protect what I have left. I am thinking of going digital.

WØTKX
05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Have you tried dropping your CW "note" to about 400hz?

That's what I do, it helps a lot, even without tinnitus. After chemo and radiation, I developed tinnitus as well.
Mostly in my right ear. It comes and goes, and is slowly improving.

W3WN
05-24-2012, 10:56 AM
How many people are even going to notice the slight difference between the top ten rigs on the sherwood chart anyway? I mean practically, not with test equipment.None.

How many will be honest enough to admit that?

None.

W3WN
05-24-2012, 10:59 AM

That's what I do, it helps a lot, even without tinnitus. After chemo and radiation, I developed tinnitus as well.
Mostly in my right ear. It comes and goes, and is slowly improving.When we gave N3ZNI his code test to upgrade to General, we had to request a special set of tapes from ARRL. Ed simply couldn't hear the "standard" (800 Hz?) tone due to his tinnitus. Slightly lower tone -- no problem, he passed on the first time.

(Yeah, I know, I'm dating myself)

WX7P
05-24-2012, 11:06 AM
When we gave N3ZNI his code test to upgrade to General, we had to request a special set of tapes from ARRL. Ed simply couldn't hear the "standard" (800 Hz?) tone due to his tinnitus. Slightly lower tone -- no problem, he passed on the first time.

(Yeah, I know, I'm dating myself)

Just don't marry yourself. That would be weird.

suddenseer
05-24-2012, 11:10 AM

Mostly in my right ear. It comes and goes, and is slowly improving.That note is about all I can hear these days. 400-500 hz pokes through the tinnitus 'roar'.

wa6mhz
05-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Serious thread hijackery, and the only Halli products I'm interested in are the SR-2000 and the FPM-200. Sorry, Pat...
I need those too! AND the SX-115!

W3WN
05-24-2012, 11:20 AM
I need those too! AND the SX-115!You missed out on the SX-115. So did I, by the time I saw it (see photo above) it had already been marked sold.

W1GUH
05-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Anything above 80dB dynamic range narrow spaced, 99% of people will be happy with.

Certainly casual rag chewers like yourself and Cor won't really notice the difference.

For that matter, a casual rag-chewer (like me) will do very nicely with an HW-101 - & save a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in the process, PLUS, have a really good time fixing it!

Why don't I ever take my own advice?

KG4NEL
05-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Are ye worthy?

Only 25 of these were built. Two years ago I saw an example which had been submerged fetch in excess of $2500! :shock:

Just not feelin' it :(

W3WN
05-25-2012, 07:54 AM
A long, long time ago... it was most likely 1981... I went to the Gaithersburg Hamfest with some friends. I should have gone with some shekels, but my paycheck hadn't shown up the Friday before (it came on Monday, too late of course) so my funds were limited.

Near the end of our day, I spotted someone that had on their table what looked like a Hallicrafters 2 meter all mode. Price was very reasonable, something like $75. Seemed odd though, as I'd never heard of one, and the seller told me that it had come from a lab that was doing testing & the company had just gone belly up, so they kept the test rigs. Was willing to take a chance, but by the time I tracked down the companion who'd offered to loan me a few bucks, the seller & the rig were gone.

So close... I now know that was one of only 3 or 4 Hallicrafters H2M-1000 units. It was actually a Japanese radio that they were re-branding in a desperate attempt to stay in business... and the story was true about the lab testing (Part 15 certification on the receiver).

Told Chuck "The Hallicrafters Collecter" Dachis about it a few years later, and he told me I must have imagined it, there never was such a unit. And then he came across one on eBay & got it for his collection. See http://www.hallicraftercollector.com/unusual_hallicrafters.htm For all I know, that might even be the one that slipped through my fingers.

So it goes.

suddenseer
05-25-2012, 08:25 AM
$75? That rare radio would be worth thousands today. I would have jumped on that. I have been cursed with bad timing. Whenever i go to any kind of flea market, the only stuff I can afford is junk I don't want.

N8YX
05-25-2012, 08:28 AM
A number of folks will also swear on a mighty high stack of Bibles that there's no such thing as an RME 6950 - yet one rests in a friend's basement less than 5 miles from me.

The only one, I might add...and parts of it remain unfinished, though the engineering notes which detail the work to be done were obtained with the set.

suddenseer
05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
A number of folks will also swear on a mighty high stack of Bibles that there's no such thing as an RME 6950 - yet one rests in a friend's basement less than 5 miles from me.

The only one, I might add...and parts of it remain unfinished, though the engineering notes which detail the work to be done were obtained with the set.Where did he obtain this oddity/treasure?

KG4CGC
05-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Where did he obtain this oddity/treasure?

Sounds like one of those, "If I told I'd have to ..." moments.

W3WN
05-25-2012, 10:04 AM
$75? That rare radio would be worth thousands today. I would have jumped on that. I have been cursed with bad timing. Whenever i go to any kind of flea market, the only stuff I can afford is junk I don't want.Yeah, I know. :(

But back then? (it was either 1981 or 82) Who knew? The word hadn't even gotten out that the current incarnation of Hallicrafters had gone belly up, let alone that they were trying to market said rig.

N8YX
05-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Where did he obtain this oddity/treasure?
I'm thinking it was from the Electric Radio site or classifieds. Guy has got some pretty interesting connections. What's funny is that he isn't an EE or engineer of any sort, yet he knows his way around the inside of the 'oldies' as well as some of the so-called experts.

Totally self-taught. Repairs restaurant equipment for a living.

W1GUH
05-26-2012, 09:01 AM

The only one, I might add...and parts of it remain unfinished, though the engineering notes which detail the work to be done were obtained with the set.

Does he have pix on the web? Or can you get one? Or at least describe it here? That'd be a wonderful thing to see. Put that on the same shelf with the T-400, The SX-112, and the rumored plate modulator for the Chippewa!

N8YX
05-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Does he have pix on the web? Or can you get one? Or at least describe it here? That'd be a wonderful thing to see. Put that on the same shelf with the T-400, The SX-112, and the rumored plate modulator for the Chippewa!
Next time I visit I'll take a bunch of pictures of the thing and post them. I'm on the hook for some tech help for a blown-up R71A so that's my 'price'. ;)