PDA

View Full Version : AES and my Birthday

W9JAM
05-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Well, I'm now 30. I was in Las Vegas for my birthday and ended up at AES. I got a new handheld, the data cable, and the adapter for my old BNC antenna so it would work with the handheld. To my surprise, AES gave me a 2011-2012 Desktop Edition of the ARRL Repeater Directory, and a Yaesu Ball Cap. On top of that, I ended up getting a tooth pulled while I was in Vegas... Makes it kinda hard to talk on the new handheld while your mouth is packed with gauze pads. Oh well.

Btw, the radio is the Wouxun KG-UV3D. http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uv3d-dual-band.html

N7YA
05-18-2012, 05:00 AM
...ive been here for far too many birthdays.

Happy (hammy) Birthday.

XE1/N5AL
05-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Walking into the ham radio candy store and then trying to make up one's mind on what to buy is like pulling teeth. :)

Happy 30th birthday!

PA5COR
05-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Happy Birthday, enjoy your new toy's ;)

KJ3N
05-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Well, I'm now 30.

Get off my lawn! :neener: :lol:

suddenseer
05-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Happy late birthday. I think W7XF started a birthday thread for you. Hamvention is happening right now as I write this. Every Ham radio operator should do Hamvention at least once in their lifetime. It is like making the journey to Mecca. AES is a close second. They have good stuff. Oh, they have a booth at Hamvention as well.

K7SGJ
05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Again, Happy Birthday. Since you're in Vegas, I know you'll get laid.

KB3LAZ
05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Happy late birthday. I think W7XF started a birthday thread for you. Hamvention is happening right now as I write this. Every Ham radio operator should do Hamvention at least once in their lifetime. It is like making the journey to Mecca. AES is a close second. They have good stuff. Oh, they have a booth at Hamvention as well.

Shelby is a second (A first IMO but that is beside the point) but AES is fun too.

Oh and happy Birth Day to the OP.

n2ize
05-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Well, I'm now 30. I was in Las Vegas for my birthday and ended up at AES. I got a new handheld, the data cable, and the adapter for my old BNC antenna so it would work with the handheld. To my surprise, AES gave me a 2011-2012 Desktop Edition of the ARRL Repeater Directory, and a Yaesu Ball Cap. On top of that, I ended up getting a tooth pulled while I was in Vegas... Makes it kinda hard to talk on the new handheld while your mouth is packed with gauze pads. Oh well.

Btw, the radio is the Wouxun KG-UV3D. http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uv3d-dual-band.html

I have heard some good things about those Wouxon's. Aside from an affordable price they are supposedly good performers. I was thinking of getting one for myself. Only thing I am not too clear on is if the Wouxon dual banders can do fully split vfo, i.e. receive on one band while receiving (or transmitting) on the other. Someone told me they can't. In any event that's a nice feature but a relatively small issue since most of the time I am going to operate in one band or the other. Even when I had my old Yaesu which could do full split vfo and crossband repeater operation there were few, if any, time that I actually needed it.

NQ6U
05-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Many hams around here are using the Wouxon HTs. All reports have been good; the only question at this point would be longevity. They haven't been around long enough to know how they'll hold up to hard usage.

KA9MOT
05-18-2012, 01:11 PM
And wasn't that Vegas store a disappointment? I expected allot more and bigger! I imagined walking through the doors and being surrounded by thousands of square feet of ham radio joy. 4 shelves, some stuff hanging from the ceiling and a counter is what I found. :( Oh Yeah, a small table with some radios and other stuff on it close to the door so the street urchins could grab and dash. I parked at the truckstop that was 3 or 4 blocks away and walked in. Dirt, Prostitution waybills nailed to the telephone poles, and all manner of outlaws checking out that new box that had the big dark word YAESU printed on it while walking back to the truck.....I still got what I needed and that is what counts and I still enjoyed myself.

The website is much cleaner.....

N8YX
05-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Tuesday was 'DSG's birthday. AES is here at the Hamvention and I just treated myself to a brand-new pair of BC-996XT scanners. :lol:

No one else had the units in stock and I ended up getting them each for fifty bucks under list. You have to bring things in order to sell things, gang...I can mail-order from anybody, any time.

Congrats on your birthday haul, J!

N7YA
05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
And wasn't that Vegas store a disappointment? I expected allot more and bigger! I imagined walking through the doors and being surrounded by thousands of square feet of ham radio joy. 4 shelves, some stuff hanging from the ceiling and a counter is what I found. :( Oh Yeah, a small table with some radios and other stuff on it close to the door so the street urchins could grab and dash. I parked at the truckstop that was 3 or 4 blocks away and walked in. Dirt, Prostitution waybills nailed to the telephone poles, and all manner of outlaws checking out that new box that had the big dark word YAESU printed on it while walking back to the truck.....I still got what I needed and that is what counts and I still enjoyed myself.

The website is much cleaner.....

Steve, all the room of the store is in the back (where you cant go). Its true, thats a shitty neighborhood, but its far better than where the old store once was on Rancho, in North Las Vegas. But that area on Polaris, right off Trop, is known for being a drug/hooker/homeless/destitute, end of the line for many. Glad you made it to your truck!

This place sucks.

n2ize
05-18-2012, 11:46 PM
f Trop, is known for being a drug/hooker/homeless/destitute, end of the line for many. Glad you made it to your truck!

Sounds like my kind of town. I'm moving out there ASAP !!

XE1/N5AL
05-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Sounds like my kind of town. I'm moving out there ASAP !!
Will Work
.................QSOs
For Food