PDA

View Full Version : Intros

Pages : [1] 2 3

N2RJ
03-24-2008, 11:02 AM
So much has changed about this so I figured I would start over.

Hello I am N2RJ. Licensed in the late 90s at the encouragement of a teacher.

I enjoy DXing and contesting, home brew, digital and DMR.

What say you?

KC8TCQ
03-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Anyway, my personal belief is that we need to encourage young people in the hobby, especially those that are interested in science and tech.

I had a lot of fun building projects, SWLing and helping out with operating events when I was a high schooler. Unfortunately for me, getting licensed was a lesser priority due to the cost, so I used the club station with a licensed control op.

Hope you all enjoy the Island and the hobby!

Ryan, I agree 100%. I wish I hadn't gotten side tracked years ago, I wanted to get my ticket then but wasn't aware of any hams in my area, and there was no interweb to look up clubs/exam sites etc.

The great thing about amateur radio is the vast diversity of activities one can choose to partake in. Digital modes, Sat work, CW and the list goes on. I wish my stroke didn't effect me as it did as I used to love building kits, unfortunately my motor control skills aren't what they were or I'd be building a K-2.

Anyway, welcome aboard Duncan, and welcome to the hobby.

K0DXC
03-24-2008, 04:15 PM
WOOPEEEEE!

I got a nice little surprise when I saw this forum.

Anyways.... I'm Cal, K0DXC; I am 13 years old. I've been a ham for about 3 years since I was 10.

I am only a general :oops: but I hope to have my extra by the end of June (before they get a new test, I just spent money on a book)

In hamming I most enjoy CW, it is a fine mode. The only thing I enjoy more than that is running a CW contest. I have submitted articles to QST and the FISTS magazine, "the keynote"

The FISTS article will be published but the QST one I just sent off after I got an email from Sean, KX9X, that said he would like to see the article that I wrote for him about my favorite subject of contesting. I was also published in the July/August issue of the National Contest Journal.

I am a moderator on "gokarters" ( gokarters.com/vbforum/ ) and I also moderate this forum here on Hamisland.

that's about it. for more info you can read my qrz.com biography or visit http://www.k0dxc.9f.com

73, thanks to Mike for the new board!

03-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Nice hearing the backgrounds.

I used to be a little kid. I was born and raised in Lawrence, KS. Yup. About 35 miles from KU0DM. I got WN0RXE in 1976. I was Rated X Entertainment. As a farmhand on my parents farm, I was always putting up hay. But I ended going to college at Pittsburg State University.

Guess where I'll be at next Tuesday Night? Ooooh Lay Tha. (That's how you pronounce Olathe). Yup. A visit to Garmin GPS.

Know of any good repeaters around there?

N2RJ
03-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Guess where I'll be at next Tuesday Night? Ooooh Lay Tha. (That's how you pronounce Olathe). Yup. A visit to Garmin GPS.

Not bad. Do you guys supply crystals to them?

03-25-2008, 10:29 AM

Complicated question. Yes, we supply crystals to the guys here in Kansas, but a lot of the manufacturing is in Taiwan, and those buyers like the cheap Taiwanese and Chinese crystals.

I see these crystals from competitors and i know how the different crystals perform. I know that ours (comparing apples to apples meaning same frequency and case size) have a lower crystal resistance than other brands that I look at including the other Japanese manufacturers.

But we have crystals in engine controllers, transmission controllers, tire pressure monitors, dashboard displays, backup cameras, and many other automotive type applications. Maybe someday even in the cupholders.

03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I will look for you there on the repeaters, Duncan.

I used to work at 75th and I-35 for about 7 years until 1999. It was a little sliver of land there belonging to Overland Park North and West of I-35.

While I was there, I developed a design for a double oven crystal oscillator that would remain on frequency from -30C to + 75C to within 0.0002 ppm. I got fired shortly after that development and the company went out of business a few years later.

Wow. That was a fun place.

N2RJ
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM

Complicated question. Yes, we supply crystals to the guys here in Kansas, but a lot of the manufacturing is in Taiwan, and those buyers like the cheap Taiwanese and Chinese crystals.

I see these crystals from competitors and i know how the different crystals perform. I know that ours (comparing apples to apples meaning same frequency and case size) have a lower crystal resistance than other brands that I look at including the other Japanese manufacturers.

But we have crystals in engine controllers, transmission controllers, tire pressure monitors, dashboard displays, backup cameras, and many other automotive type applications. Maybe someday even in the cupholders.

Well so much for that, I agree with you that cost often wins over quality. No wonder so much consumer electronics these days resembles the cheap knock offs you buy in chinatown.

K0DXC
08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
I learned about ham radio in school where one of my teachers (9Y4AL) was a ham.

I wish one of my teachers was a ham.

N2RJ
08-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I learned about ham radio in school where one of my teachers (9Y4AL) was a ham.

I wish one of my teachers was a ham.

It's not too late to encourage them.

K0DXC
08-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, I still have a shot.

One of the high schools in Ohio that I might be going to has a Science teacher that is a ham. I think they may even have a small radio club.

However..... I don't know if I'll be going to that high school.

KC9ECI
05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
I had a teacher in high school that was a ham...I found that out about 20 years after HS.

N8YX
05-30-2011, 06:08 AM
My high-school electronics teacher and Elmer was Stan, WB8WDQ. He scrounged hamfests for broken gear for the club station. Stipulation was that if we wanted to use the equipment, we would have to diagnose and repair it.

sirdrakejr
09-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I started in ham radio at age 13 in 1953. Unfortunately, I found girls and cars more interesting and cheaper so I didn't get my first license until 1966. It has been fun since then too.
Frank
KL7IPV

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the Island, Frank.
Pull up a deck chair and a line because the mahi are biting down at the Island bar at the end of the pier.
Enjoy your stay and the warm breeze.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/EuroTrip313.jpg

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Welcome. Park your dinghy in the cove, grab your drink, a pole, and some mackerel. like the man said the Mahi are biting. WooHoo!

NQ6U
09-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Welcome. Park your dinghy in the cove, grab your drink, a pole, and some mackerel. like the man said the Mahi are biting. WooHoo!

Hey, don't talk about his dinghy. You hardly know the guy.

sirdrakejr
09-14-2011, 12:47 AM
:-D

W5RB
09-14-2011, 03:43 AM
Hey, don't talk about his dinghy. You hardly know the guy.

He can't help it , he's got dinghy fever .

kb2crk
09-14-2011, 08:31 AM
He can't help it , he's got dinghy fever .

dinghy fever or dinghy envy?????

sirdrakejr
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't think it can be "envy" since it is only guesswork ! :snooty:
Frank

WD4ICJ
10-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Hello from a brand new member! WD4ICJ here...handle is Ron...recently retired from commercial radio broadcasting, so have time now to get back on HF ham radio. Been a long time! Hope to be active soon on 80, 40 and 20 AM with an old Knight Kit T150-A.

Another interest tho --- Has anyone tried Part 15 operation on 13.560mhz? Pt 15 allows considerably more field strength there than on the CB band, for example, especially since it's measured at 30 meters instead of 10. I hope to try it soon for some REAL QRP!

Also in the market for a Globe Scout 65-A. Had one as a kid ---- thought I had bought another one several weeks ago, but it looks liked I was scammed. Anybody have one? '73s! Ron WD4ICJ, Palm Coast, FL

ad4mg
10-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Hello from a brand new member! WD4ICJ here...handle is Ron...recently retired from commercial radio broadcasting, so have time now to get back on HF ham radio. Been a long time! Hope to be active soon on 80, 40 and 20 AM with an old Knight Kit T150-A.

Another interest tho --- Has anyone tried Part 15 operation on 13.560mhz? Pt 15 allows considerably more field strength there than on the CB band, for example, especially since it's measured at 30 meters instead of 10. I hope to try it soon for some REAL QRP!

Also in the market for a Globe Scout 65-A. Had one as a kid ---- thought I had bought another one several weeks ago, but it looks liked I was scammed. Anybody have one? '73s! Ron WD4ICJ, Palm Coast, FL

Top of the morning to ya, Ron, and welcome to the Island!

K7SGJ
10-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Hello Ron, and welcome. You'll enjoy retirement and wonder how the hell you ever found time for work.

The barkeep will be along shortly. Enjoy the cocktail and don't put your eye out with the umbrella.

eddie

KC2UGV
10-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Welcome to the shores here Ron :)

NQ6U
10-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Welcome to the Island, Ron. I haven't experimented on 13.560MHz—too many other things I want to do on the regular ham bands first—but it sounds like it might be fun. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Barkeep, set this man up with the umbrella drink of his choice and put it on my tab!

K7SGJ
10-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Welcome to the Island, Ron. I haven't experimented on 13.560MHz—too many other things I want to do on the regular ham bands first—but it sounds like it might be fun. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Barkeep, set this man up with the umbrella drink of his choice and put it on my tab!

There's no more room on your tab. It's worse than the national debt.

KG4CGC
10-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Also in the market for a Globe Scout 65-A. Had one as a kid ---- thought I had bought another one several weeks ago, but it looks liked I was scammed. Anybody have one? '73s! Ron WD4ICJ, Palm Coast, FLhttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/9c3db128.jpg

NQ6U
10-27-2011, 09:03 AM
There's no more room on your tab. It's worse than the national debt.

Not true! My tab is less than $1 million!

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 02:26 PM
And a hearty welcome to you, too, Ron. I see our Island Bartender, Charles has already set up up. Enjoy!

What rx you suing with that T150-A. By any chance an R-100? That was my step-up rx from an AR-3 and I LOVED it! If ya don't have one, that'd make a wonder vintage radio. My R-100 lived up to all of Allied's specs. It was fabulous!

Again, welcome to the island!

N2CHX
12-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Welcome Ron. I have a solar powered beacon on 13.5605. I also used to be a broadcast engineer.

K7SGJ
12-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Welcome Ron. I have a solar powered beacon on 13.5605. I also used to be a broadcast engineer.

Used to be? Honey, once a broadcast engineer, always a BCE. It's an "in the blood" thingy. We are a dying breed. I wonder how many of them today can run radial readings on an AM or do a proof. It's been so long for me, I don't even know if that has to be done anymore with all the dereg and what not. I would think you would to ensure compliance with rules, regs, and station license parameters.

mw0pob
01-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Just thought i would complete the union mandated greeting post, the names Jamie and i live in sunny south wales ( about 30 miles from cardiff). Glad to be a member of this here forum provided we dont have badges saying Full Member (mw0uzo will know what i mean )

K7SGJ
01-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Owdy mate. Welcome to the island shores. Pull up a rock, relax, and our pub tender will be along shorty to serve you an umbrella drink or an ale. I'll join you, and we'll put them on Carl's tab.

NQ6U
01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Nice to meet you, Jamie and welcome to The Island. I think you'll find the natives friendly and the umbrella drinks to your liking—especially since all drinks here go on my tab, which I never pay.

I see you're a fan of the digital modes so perhaps we can make a PSK31 QSO one day. With my wimpy little station, it's my preferred mode of operation as well.

ki4itv
01-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi Jamie,

So do tell...
Is ARSE an actual radio society that doesn't translate well across the pond?
Or is it a hilarious, intentional spoof designed to make me laugh my ARSE off, like I did?

mw0pob
01-07-2012, 01:15 PM
its the radio society of great britain 'arris gb, they having a lot of problems and basically cant tell their arse from their elbow

N8YX
01-07-2012, 01:21 PM
:lol:

Hi Jamie - and welcome!

I recently got into PSK31 - perhaps I can put you in the log on 20-10M some time.

ki4itv
01-07-2012, 01:28 PM
its the radio society of great britain 'arris gb, they having a lot of problems and basically cant tell their arse from their elbow
Well Jamie...you have certainly found the right place.
Welcome to IOMH!

KG4CGC
01-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Welcome aboard! Or as I like to say, Welcome Abroad!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/boat_drinks.jpg

suddenseer
01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Hello Jamie, N8TB here the name is Tim. A big welcome to the Island. If you're no a typical ham, then you fit right in with us misfits.

mw0pob
01-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks barkeep, say do you know how to make a holy bartender :D , alcohol free for me please dont want to lose my AA token

ki4itv
01-07-2012, 01:56 PM
If you're token, then the coffee house is this way ------->next to the BBQ pit.
You can tell which one is which by the color of the smoke.;)

NQ6U
01-07-2012, 02:10 PM

And you may want to avoid that shack from which smoke of another sort altogether is issuing. It's easy to spot, however, by the sign over the door which reads "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

KG4CGC
01-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks barkeep, say do you know how to make a holy bartender :D , alcohol free for me please dont want to lose my AA token

We have carrot juice and seltzer, or god forbid, you prefer, cola. (watch, I'm gonna get some shit for that comment)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/imagesdon-27t-20snort-20coke.jpg

KG4CGC
01-07-2012, 02:30 PM

You guys are going to make the new guy think we're all a bunch of druggies.
Hey, Jamie, how are you on nicotine?

kf0rt
01-07-2012, 02:32 PM

You're the one who posted the picture of a guy snortin' Coke. :lol:

Hi Jamie; welcome to the Island.

mw0pob
01-07-2012, 02:35 PM

I will answer that after i get back from having a smoke

KG4CGC
01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
This is an island. The breeze will waft your smoke over to the mainland and there's nothing to be done about it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/picture-52.jpg

ki4itv
01-07-2012, 02:53 PM
:wtf:...a little big for a tobacco suppository, but if this is where we've come in our anti-smoking politically erect nahzyness, so be it.

KJ3N
01-07-2012, 02:53 PM
This is an island. The breeze will waft your smoke over to the mainland and there's nothing to be done about it.

If that was filled with da ebil weed, Bob Marley would be proud. :lol:

mw0pob
01-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Bet its like smoking 10 fags at once

KG4CGC
01-07-2012, 03:13 PM
If that was filled with da ebil weed, Bob Marley would be proud. :lol:Fuente Opus X.
Don't ask me what this configuration is called. I'm more familiar with Robustos and Torpedoes.

K7SGJ
01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
And you may want to avoid that shack from which smoke of another sort altogether is issuing. It's easy to spot, however, by the sign over the door which reads "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

Aw shit, and here I thought it meant they just picked a new Pope.

W7XF
01-07-2012, 05:43 PM

That would be Hut # 420 xD :lol:

KG4CGC
01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
That would be Hut # 420 xD :lol:
Just keep in mind that near the end of March, Pope Carlo I will be collecting urine samples for the random Island drug test.

W7XF
01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Bet its like smoking 10 fags cigarettes at once

PLEASE don't use THAT F-word here.... several of us Islanders are... peculiar xD (Yes, I'm one of the Island's token GLBT family...)

Other than that, welcome to our fair shores...I see Charles has already taken your order....down the pier a piece grab a pole...the mahi are biting xD

kf0rt
01-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Just keep in mind that near the end of March, Pope Carlo I will be collecting urine samples for the random Island drug test.

Anyone who comes up negative gets to haul the beer kegs in April.

K7SGJ
01-07-2012, 11:48 PM
You want me to do WHAT in that cup? From HERE?

rot
01-08-2012, 01:18 AM

:lol:

ki4itv
01-08-2012, 06:55 AM

So what do we win?

N8YX
01-08-2012, 09:37 AM

You could almost play football with that thing. :shock:

rot
01-08-2012, 10:14 AM
So what do we win?

How about a chance to participate in Pope C's hawt new WhziFi ePee technology or maybe even an on demand Peetweet?
:shhh:...top secret stuff.
rot

kb2vxa
01-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Or collect a pissolene reserve for Tron's Slimatron?

KG4CGC
01-08-2012, 04:02 PM
So what do we win?

Cheese Whiz.

NQ6U
01-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Cheese Whiz.

Cheeze? Jeeze.

I think we scared Jamie off...

W7XF
01-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Carlo..... I thought the weiner would get use of the Island station with the seriously narrow radiation pattern 20m yagi pointed at Victoria, BC....... :rofl:

(Oh shit....I'll pass the pee-in-the-Dixie-cup test with flying yellow colours!)

kb1qkq
01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
I've been away a while, 18-20 months or so. I've been lurking and before I post, should reintroduce myselves I guess. "Shawn", used to live in NW Maine and moved to KY about 18 months ago.

N8YX
01-08-2012, 07:08 PM
I've been away a while, 18-20 months or so. I've been lurking and before I post, should reintroduce myselves I guess. "Shawn", used to live in NW Maine and moved to KY about 18 months ago.

Welcome back, Shawn. The misfits are still mis-fitting. :lol:

K7SGJ
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Welcome back, all of you.

W5RB
01-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Maine's maple syrup sure tastes better than KY's jelly :-p

NQ6U
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Okay! Now let's see if we can scare Shawn off like we did Jamie!

KJ3N
01-08-2012, 08:12 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

W5RB
01-08-2012, 08:18 PM

I'm bettin' a FFL-holding , Harley-riding farmer ain't real easy ta scare ;-)

KG4CGC
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I haven't figured out why there was a need to correct a Welshman over his native vernacular. A smoker over there, can blow through a pack of fags in a day or two. That's what they're called over there by most everyone. My Facebook friends in England and the surrounding areas, all call cigarettes, fags.
Let's not give our new friends across the pond a hard time over using their common terms.
Did you know that in Australia, fanny means vagina?

W5RB
01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I haven't figured out why there was a need to correct a Welshman over his native vernacular. A smoker over there, can blow through a pack of fags in a day or two. That's what they're called over there by most everyone. My Facebook friends in England and the surrounding areas, all call cigarettes, fags.
Let's not give our new friends across the pond a hard time over using their common terms.
Did you know that in Australia, fanny means vagina?

Well THAT adds a whole new meaning to "fanny pack" , don't it ?

KG4CGC
01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Well THAT adds a whole new meaning to "fanny pack" , don't it ?
Well yes. Yes it does.
I forget what they're called there. Butt pack? Butt bag? Waist pack? What does the military call them here? Forward facing waist pack?

K7SGJ
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Well yes. Yes it does.
I forget what they're called there. Butt pack? Butt bag? Waist pack? What does the military call them here? Forward facing waist pack?

Remains pack.

kb1qkq
01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the welcoming "us" back, I'll be sure to behave myself (yea right) I do miss that Maine maple syrup but that's about the only thing. Oh OK, lobster. Scare me, hmmm. That's hard.

VE7DCW
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Welcome back, all of you.

Roses are red ....... violets are blue ......I'm schizophrenic ......and so am I

Welcome back ....... indeed, all of you :yes:

mw0pob
01-09-2012, 03:57 AM
Aint scared me off, didnt get a chance to spend a lot of time on here, was rtty'ing this weekend

NQ6U
01-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Aint scared me off, didnt get a chance to spend a lot of time on here, was rtty'ing this weekend

Oh, good! (I guess we aren't trying hard enough... ;) )

kb1qkq
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Roses are red ....... violets are blue ......I'm schizophrenic ......and so am I

Welcome back ....... indeed, all of you :yes:

Thanks, we appreciate it. >:)

W7XF
01-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Beware if someone gives you some Lone Star Beer......that will scare you!

NQ6U
01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Beware if someone gives you some Lone Star Beer......that will scare nauseate you!

Fixed that for ya, Kevin.

N2RJ
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi guys,

I'm Ryan, N2RJ and I'm a recovering... something or the other.

How YOU doin'?

N1LAF
02-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Welcome back, Ryan!!

Glad to see your return!

N2RJ
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Hi Paul!

Glad to see you.

Yeah, I've come back here for some familiar faces and old friends.

However, we do need to get together on the radio sometime. My radio time is limited these days with the kids though.

ki4itv
02-07-2012, 02:20 AM
Welcome back Ryan. Very nice to see you.

N8YX
02-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Hi Paul!

Glad to see you.

Yeah, I've come back here for some familiar faces and old friends.

However, we do need to get together on the radio sometime. My radio time is limited these days with the kids though.
Wait wut?

Plural?

You two have triplets or something? :lol:

KC2UGV
02-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Welcome back to the shores Ryan :)

KB3LAZ
02-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Welcome back.

KG4CGC
02-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Hello Ryan. Long time. What 'you drinking these days?

W2NAP
02-07-2012, 01:52 PM
welcome back

N2RJ
02-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Hello Ryan. Long time. What 'you drinking these days?

Probably some rum punch. My aunt brought some from Trinidad. It was good!

KG4CGC
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/657649bb.jpg

N2RJ
02-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Gracias Charles.

Always enjoy a good rum punch!

It's actually quite a hit around here. Everyone loved it.

K7SGJ
02-07-2012, 08:14 PM
NFU

KG4CGC
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't know your family recipe so I hope you enjoy it.
I enjoy most rums, the way one would enjoy a nice whiskey. That does not however, diminish merit from a fine punch recipe.

K7SGJ
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
NFU

W7XF
02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Heya Ryan!!!! Welcome back!!!!

N2RJ
02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Well hello there Kevin!

W5IEI
02-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Good to see you again Ryan.
What rig you running now days?
Mike

N2RJ
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Good to see you again Ryan.
What rig you running now days?
Mike

Still Icom Pro3 and Icom 746. Love my Icom although I think I'll be getting a K3 sometime.

I've learned from the gurus in our contest club how to adjust the Pro3 to work in crowded conditions. SO far it's been doing well.

W1GUH
04-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Still Icom Pro3 and Icom 746. Love my Icom although I think I'll be getting a K3 sometime.

I've learned from the gurus in our contest club how to adjust the Pro3 to work in crowded conditions. SO far it's been doing well.

Do anything with BA"s? You've got a GREAT QTH for the AM window!

N2RJ
04-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Do anything with BA"s? You've got a GREAT QTH for the AM window!

Nope. I'm primarily a contester... but I am open to try anything new. So who knows what kind of treasure I may bring home from the next hamfest! *wink*

Actually I do have a lot of vintage gear but on the RX side of things - nearly every model of Zenith trans-oceanic (almost all of them fully operational, re-capped, selenium rectifier replaced), and even a radiola 18 which seemed to be designed for Edison DC power.

I have done a bit of AM here and K4KYV gives me good signal reports.

TESLA
04-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Hello, is it safe to come out?

ki4itv
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
No. That's why I'm holding this tiny drink umbrella over my head.

NA4BH
04-10-2012, 10:33 PM

Welcome to the Island. Laid back folks around here. Make yourself at home. It's safe until goat night at the bar (a hint: wear your rubber pants that night).

NQ6U
04-10-2012, 10:36 PM

Sort of depends of what you're coming out of, really. An alcoholic coma? No problem—you'll fit right in.

Welcome to the Island, Mark!

TESLA
04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, I think. I'm coming out of my shell, I'm a true lurker.

ki4itv
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Completely sorry about that...you did set me up rather well. ;)
My name is Trey...welcome to The Island. What brings you here???
Other than great entertainment with a fine blend of technical knowhow?

TESLA
04-10-2012, 10:53 PM
What brings you here???
Other than great entertainment with a fine blend of technical knowhow?

It's Pat's fault, he posted a link on "the zed" that said he was hated here, I knew that couldn't be true, no one can hate Pat. After lurking a bit I thought the place was kind of cool, in an odd sort of way. The political overtones are a little harsh but if that is as bad as it gets I think I can handle it. When do we start drinking?

ki4itv
04-10-2012, 10:59 PM
If you're waitin' on us...then you're backin' up.
I'm sure The Bartender will be along soon...He's kinda like OPEC of the place, only he doesn't charge.
and it is a cool place to hang out and be exposed to differing opinion.

TESLA
04-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks! I'm going back to "lurker mode", I'll be here if you need me. :cool2:

VE7DCW
04-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Yes indeed..... welcome ...... and what Bob said about goat night at the bar is true..... Bob was the one who started it!!! :dance:

NQ6U
04-10-2012, 11:03 PM
When do we start drinking?

Barkeep? That's your cue!

As far as the political stuff goes, if you don't troll and back up your statements with verifiable facts (which does not include merely linking to places with a political axe to grind, such as the Fox News or Daily Kos Websites), you'll find that we're not all that bad.

VE7DCW
04-10-2012, 11:07 PM

As far as the political stuff goes, if you don't troll and back up your statements with verifiable facts (which does not include merely linking to places with a political axe to grind, such as the Fox News or Daily Kos Websites), you'll find that we're not all that bad.

.....and if you're not Canadian the excuse can be that all that political stuff is because you're American...... :-D

KG4CGC
04-10-2012, 11:18 PM

<snip>

<snip>

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/501f232c.gif

N8YX
04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Mark,

Welcome!

The Forbidden Zone is the only true "political" subforum here, but we don't get our panties bunched if someone inadvertently starts a politically oriented thread in one of the other ones. We'll just move it.

So...what's your favorite mode/band/rig? Are you a boat anchor fan, or does your shack consist of strictly bleeding-edge equipment?

wa6mhz
04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
WA6MHZ Pat

OH, everyone already knows me and my story, but here is some concise data:

Have 2 cats (Phoebe and Penelope) Phoebe bites and scratches. Mean cat. Penelope is a Model Cat.
Have 2 Town Cars (1 daily driver, one full of Black Widow Spiders sitting in the yard)
Has thousands of Vintage Radios and continuously restores them.
Lives in SoCal, where we have PERFECT Weather Yearound( bit of rain today though...)
Conservative, listens to RUSH all the time (that oughta be a sour note with some on here!)
Goes to Church every Sunday, but watches the cute girls while there. (that MUST be a SIN!)
Eats Top Ramen and McDonalds unless in Dayton where it is White Castles, Forgets what Prime Rib tastes like.
(Money NOT spent on food leaves more money for more radios!)
Hates working, but spends 90% of my life here.
Ardent DXer, Contester and Honor Roll member.
My Station is a Yaesu FT-107M line driving a Drake L7 KW. Also an Icom IC-736 for Digital/RTTY, Beam is a KT-34 (missing one element. Fell off, can't figure out how to get it back on without a Bucket Truck.)
Want a Yaesu FT-5000 but can't figure out how to come up with the 6 THOUSAND bucks for one.
OK, guess thats enough data

NA4BH
04-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Welcome Pat, we're glad to have you. No spiders here, just crabs.

KJ3N
04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Welcome Pat, we're glad to have you. No spiders here, just crabs.

You need to hang out in the higher class hooker joints so that doesn't happen. :rofl:

K7SGJ
04-11-2012, 05:59 PM
If you're waitin' on us...then you're backin' up.
I'm sure The Bartender will be along soon...He's kinda like OPEC of the place, only he doesn't charge.
and it is a cool place to hang out and be exposed to differing opinion.

Maybe tht's why there aren't more chicks around.

At any rate, welcome Mark, and hello Pat. Even though it's not your birthdays, I hope you both get laid, on the beach, in the sand, with the crabs.....

KG4CGC
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Wait, what?
More Drinks?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/de31fda0.jpg

Just don't drink too much.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/942b4a8c.gif

K7SGJ
04-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Wait, what?
More Drinks?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/de31fda0.jpg

Just don't drink too much.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/942b4a8c.gif

\
I like a well stocked bar, but us short shits can't reach the top shelf, and where the hell are the umbrellas?

KG4CGC
04-11-2012, 06:17 PM
\
I like a well stocked bar, but us short shits can't reach the top shelf, and where the hell are the umbrellas?

Behind you.

N2RJ
04-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Hi Pat!

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Hello all on the island!

I recently discovered this site.. And from the looks of things around here boy am I glad to have found it :)
I've been a member of some of the other ham forums for a while now.. And to be honest I don't really approve or like the way things are going on that "other" ham site (I'm not mentioning any names out of respect)...

I think I'm gonna like it around here from what I've seen in reading the past 2 days :)

Thank you all for letting me be a part of the forum

NQ6U
09-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Welcome to the Island, William. The natives are friendly and your first round of drinks are on me. Barkeep, give the man the umbrella drink of his choice and put it on my tab (still unpaid after two years of Island residence and approaching the GNP of Uruguay in size).

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I'll try not to drink that drink too fast... Don't want the umbrella getting stuck up the nose, or poking an eye out lol
I'm reminded a bit of a wifi forum I used to frequent quite a bit that basically died :(
I think I'm gonna like it around here

Welcome to the Island, William. The natives are friendly and your first round of drinks are on me. Barkeep, give the man the umbrella drink of his choice and put it on my tab (still unpaid after two years of Island residence and approaching the GNP of Uruguay in size).

N8YX
09-15-2012, 08:39 AM
What he said.

And I'll proffer one bit of advice:

NEVER read anything here with a mouth full of liquid.

Trust me on this. :yes:

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 08:49 AM
And ignore the graphs. You'll be fine. :lol:

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah I had to use that technique on the wifi forum I used to frequent quite a bit (netstumbler)...

What he said.

And I'll proffer one bit of advice:

NEVER read anything here with a mouth full of liquid.

Trust me on this. :yes:

ki4itv
09-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Welcome to The Island, William.

The installation of monitor wipers, keyboard condoms, and political chart blocker are helpful upgrades...but are not IOMH minimum requirements.:lol:

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Thank you..
I LOVE that pic too lol
I think I've got that one covered ;)

Welcome to The Island, William.

The installation of monitor wipers, keyboard condoms, and political chart blocker are helpful upgrades...but are not IOMH minimum requirements.:lol:

KG4CGC
09-15-2012, 09:56 AM

WØTKX
09-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Oh Hai William/Will/Bill (let us know). It's not a matter of if you will do a "spit take", but when.

With your call ending in 'SQR... you must be a "squirter". :neener:

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Hello, I usually go by Will, or William..

And actually with my callsign I've been deemed locally in my area as "the squirrel" which I had to run with it just so people didn't try to make it stick... Truth is I hate squirrels lol
Squirter is a new one though lol

First thing I thought when I saw my brand new callsign was "squirrel really? damnit, I hate squirrels"
I was going to vanity it to something else but the main one I wanted wasn't available (KC9GFY) :)
and after a while I figured screw it.. Everyone around here knows me by this callsign, and just figured it wasn't a big deal and kept it..

Oh Hai William/Will/Bill (let us know). It's not a matter of if you will do a "spit take", but when.

With your call ending in 'SQR... you must be a "squirter". :neener:

WØTKX
09-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Will you Am!

Of course there is Structured Query Language.

SELECT ham FROM aresmember
WHERE mind = 'whacker'

'GFY, eh" :shifty: :chin:

Well, dive in and have fun.

Maybe at some point we can use Silly Queen Regina? :neener:

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Kinda funny you mention ARES... I WAS an ares member for a little bit there, but got tired of the whacker mentality, political BS, and the big competition of who had access to the EOC in the Sheriffs department and quit.. The group disbanded shortly after (Not because I left hahaha). And myself and a couple of other hams formed a skywarn group and it's been smooth sailing since.. All the politics and drama are GONE!
Also thanks for the reminder to remove any mentioning of ares from my qrz bio (I know you didn't say anything about the bio, but I remembered to check to see that I got all of it removed)..

We run this skywarn group as a GROUP, not a totalitarian dictatorship.. And it really works great..
I'm glad I learned the ARES lesson early on...

Silly Queen Regina is a new one too lol

You've got a tough one to get any good comebacks on :)
I'm not too good with coming up with the funny phonetics.. The best one I've heard so far was Shooting Quality Rounds
I have to give Henry WB9TFX (my VERY first ham radio contact) credit for that one

Will you Am!

Of course there is Structured Query Language.

SELECT ham FROM aresmember
WHERE mind = 'whacker'

'GFY, eh" :shifty: :chin:

Well, dive in and have fun.

Maybe at some point we can use Silly Queen Regina? :neener:

KG4CGC
09-15-2012, 01:26 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/3856cc96.gif

X-Rated
09-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Hello all on the island!

I recently discovered this site.. And from the looks of things around here boy am I glad to have found it :)
I've been a member of some of the other ham forums for a while now.. And to be honest I don't really approve or like the way things are going on that "other" ham site (I'm not mentioning any names out of respect)...

I think I'm gonna like it around here from what I've seen in reading the past 2 days :)

This is a horrible board. You won't like it. Blah blah blah. Not sure someone from Rockford can handle this. :hyper:

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Hello all on the island!

Bienvenidos a la isla, amigo.

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
That's pretty cool! Thanks :)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/3856cc96.gif

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Ah if I can handle living in Rockford. I think I can handle here :) hehehe

This is a horrible board. You won't like it. Blah blah blah. Not sure someone from Rockford can handle this. :hyper:

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Bienvenidos a la isla, amigo.

Muchas gracias por la cálida bienvenida amigo.

por cierto no sé españoles pero sé cómo utilizar el traductor de google:lol:

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Muchas gracias por la cálida bienvenida amigo.

por cierto no sé españoles pero sé cómo utilizar el traductor de google:lol:

Lol, my Castellano is a bit spotty but my wife makes sure to correct me. With a touch of Valenciano.

KC9SQR
09-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Lol, my Castellano is a bit spotty but my wife makes sure to correct me. With a touch of Valenciano.

Sad part about me using google translate and not knowing spanish is that I can't tell how bad the translator butchered what I am saying lol

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Sad part about me using google translate and not knowing spanish is that I can't tell how bad the translator butchered what I am saying lol

Translate it back to English and divide by two. Easy peasy. :mrgreen:

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:33 PM

It is not great, google that is. Though, for Spanish it is not too bad. A little formal but it does get the point across. Its quite rough with Portuguese and worse with Tagalog.

WØTKX
09-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I used to have a poster of that squirrel holding a pair of Hart skis.

The caption read... "Hart Skis. Weird DNA".

kds
09-16-2012, 03:25 AM
Huh, an intro thread... cool... didn't see that this was around.

"The name here" is Kevin. I've been at this game relatively shortly... since 2008. Not much to say. I am president of the local ham club, in my second year, but will probably be giving it up when my term is up in the spring. I currently hold a general class license, but I plan on getting my extra this winter (I have been saying that for a while now though).

I dropped out of college in 2006ish to work full-time (and then some) on the campaign trail as a contract photojournalist (http://kds.me/photo) for the news wires and magazines/newspapers. It was fun and the money was good during the election, but after the election season ended and the recession was in full-swing in the midwest, there wasn't much work to be had, and the Register had laid off a bunch of its staff photographers, so it was getting rough. In 2010, I started working for one of the major Fortune 100 property/casualty insurance companies, where I now work in administration for the claims contact centers (we have 4 centers around the nation, about 450 employees in the department total). I am sure I will probably move to a different position within the company later on down the road. It was really a drastic change for me, working for myself out in the field seeing cool things, to being a 7:30-4 cubicle dweller 5 days a week, but I'm happy with the company that I work for so it evens out for me.

After I covered the aftermath of the 2008 Parkersburg EF-5 tornado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkersburg,_Iowa#2008_tornado) (first reports of damage came via ham radio) and the 2008 midwest floods, among other disasters, I thought it would be a good idea to get my license. I already had a scanner in the car and at home -- I've been into scanners since a little kid, since my dad had been on the fire department for 35 years (retired as assistant chief when I was in high school). I remember spending a big chunk of my change buying scanner crystals and other gizmos at Rat Shack. Oh, the decisions I had to face with what to put in an 8-channel Bearcat!

Even though natural disasters somewhat prompted me to get my ticket, I'm not big into ARES/emcomm. I've taken some heat about it from the community for various aspects, but I'd rather give back to the community and further amateur radio by promoting educational programs and public events to increase our hobby's exposure. There's just so much to do in ham radio other than doing emcomm, imho. I don't think anyone should focus on just one aspect of the hobby.

I have a blog (http://kds.me/radio) and twitter (http://kds.me/radiotwitter) where I post about anything that interests me.

I don't remember how I found the site, I think I was probably reading something about the Island being the anti-Phred. I'm glad I found it, because a good lot of you guys are pretty messed-up. I lurk primarily because it's hard for me to keep up with all of the topics here since it is so active.

I had a teacher in high school that was a ham...I found that out about 20 years after HS.

Crazy. My high school debate teacher/coach that I hadn't seen since my freshman year showed up at the local hamfest this year. I could barely recognize him. I had no idea he was a ham, not only that, but he was an extra. I really wish he'd come to one of our meetings.

PA5COR
09-16-2012, 04:17 AM
Welcome to the Island.

I'm glad I found it, because a good lot of you guys are pretty messed-up.

Yep, good description for most of us even here on the other side of the pond ;)

KJ3N
09-16-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm glad I found it, because a good lot of you guys are pretty messed-up.

Hey! I resemble that remark! ;)

K7SGJ
09-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark! ;)

The rest of us have pretty much always felt that way about you, too. :stickpoke:

KG4CGC
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/97168fa5.jpg

kds
09-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Haha whoa, I got a little queazy looking at that atrocity of a sandwich.

NQ6U
09-16-2012, 08:56 PM

Yeah. Everyone knows it should have been on a bagel.

K7SGJ
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah. Everyone knows it should have been on a bagel.

Yeah, but the cops are going to be his new best buddies.

KG4CGC
09-16-2012, 10:19 PM

All it needs is some pulled pork BBQ and a some onion ring fritters stacked on it. Maybe a little Dukes mayonnaise and salt.

Yeah, not my style but I've seen drunks eat worse. Believe it or not.

NY3V
09-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Ah if I can handle living in Rockford. I think I can handle here :) hehehe

At least you're not from Moline! ;)

(former K9JXE)

NA4BH
09-16-2012, 10:57 PM

Just one look at that and I had to go poop.

KG4CGC
09-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Just one look at that and I had to go poop.

Happy to be of service.

KC9SQR
09-17-2012, 12:04 AM
At least you're not from Moline! ;)

(former K9JXE)

LOL I've never actually been to or through Moline.. I suppose that may be a good thing? :)

KC9SQR
09-17-2012, 12:05 AM

Needs bacon :)

NY3V
09-17-2012, 10:01 AM
LOL I've never actually been to or through Moline.. I suppose that may be a good thing? :)

Nothing runs like a Deere! ;)

(I've never been to Rockford either) ;)

K7SGJ
09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Nothing runs like a Deere! ;)

(I've never been to Rockford either) ;)

Count your blessings.

Dr. Detroit
09-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Hello all,

Despite my screen name, I live in Cleveland, Ohio, the aptly named "Mistake on the Lake." Looking forward to moving back to semi-rural upstate NY as soon as someone there will hire me. I'm an Extra Class ham and also hold a Canadian Advanced amateur license. My 12-year-old son just earned his Tech license and we're very proud of him.

I have an interest in getting CQ's WAZ (worked all zones) award, but, after almost 25 years in the hobby, I still need zones 23 and 26. I am the perfect definition of an underachieving ham. Hope I fit in here OK.

If you're not already bored nearly to death: I hold 3 FCC commercial licenses (Radiotelephone with Radar Endorsement, GMDSS Op and Maint., and Second Class Radiotelegraph). I'm also the author of a best-selling book on the history of the Second Amendment.

I will probably hide behind the "Dr. Detroit" moniker for awhile until I am sure that most people here are as crazy as I am. Eventually I'll share a link to my web page where a more complete recitation of lies is available (actually everything I wrote here is true ... for a change).

Dr. Detroit

K7SGJ
09-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Hello all,

Despite my screen name, I live in Cleveland, Ohio, the aptly named "Mistake on the Lake." Looking forward to moving back to semi-rural upstate NY as soon as someone there will hire me. I'm an Extra Class ham and also hold a Canadian Advanced amateur license. My 12-year-old son just earned his Tech license and we're very proud of him.

I have an interest in getting CQ's WAZ (worked all zones) award, but, after almost 25 years in the hobby, I still need zones 23 and 26. I am the perfect definition of an underachieving ham. Hope I fit in here OK.

If you're not already bored nearly to death: I hold 3 FCC commercial licenses (Radiotelephone with Radar Endorsement, GMDSS Op and Maint., and Second Class Radiotelegraph). I'm also the author of a best-selling book on the history of the Second Amendment.

I will probably hide behind the "Dr. Detroit" moniker for awhile until I am sure that most people here are as crazy as I am. Eventually I'll share a link to my web page where a more complete recitation of lies is available (actually everything I wrote here is true ... for a change).

Dr. Detroit

Welcome to the Island Doc. The first drink is on Pope Carlo I. The bartender will be by to take your order shortly. You'll probably find you're the only sane one here. The rest of us Islanders are Batshit crazy.

BTW The Mahi fishing is great. Especially down by the bar on the beach. Watch out for the crabs.

N2CHX
09-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome, Double-D :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
09-19-2012, 07:17 PM

I could just bust.

KG4CGC
09-19-2012, 08:07 PM
How about something triple stout?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/60791021.jpg

N8YX
09-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Welcome!

I'm just down the pike from you, and our paths have probably crossed at some point if you've made it to any of the area hamfests. A number of my friends are associated with CFARC and the MARC club in Massillon. Don't know if Goodyear's club is still around or not.

X-Rated
09-19-2012, 09:42 PM

Dr. Dean Detroit.

WØTKX
09-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Get off of that thing, who called the Doctor?

Welcome to the Island, Mon! :omg:

http://youtu.be/xcX11TRTETU

http://youtu.be/xcX11TRTETU

VE7DCW
09-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the Island Dr.Detroit ...... did you get a Canadian callsign when you achieved that advanced qualification? ..... a nice feather in the cap! :agree:

Dr. Detroit
09-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the Island Dr.Detroit ...... did you get a Canadian callsign when you achieved that advanced qualification? ..... a nice feather in the cap! :agree:

Yes, and Industry Canada was kind enough to let me keep it after returning to the U.S., since I continue to have a station address in Toronto that suits their requirements.

I'll never forget the day I called the Canadian amateur radio office (at the time I believe they were still called Communications Canada, before it was consolidated to Industry Canada) to see if I could get a callsign containing my initials. I was fully prepared to pay a fee, fill out paperwork, and wait it out, as we've become accustomed to doing with the FCC. The representative's response was, "No problem, that call is available, and I just put it through for you. You can use it from now on. Have a nice day." That's the kind of government agency I can dig.

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit
09-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Welcome!

I'm just down the pike from you, and our paths have probably crossed at some point if you've made it to any of the area hamfests. A number of my friends are associated with CFARC and the MARC club in Massillon. Don't know if Goodyear's club is still around or not.

I'm going to try to make the big hamfest this Sunday at the fairgrounds in Berea.

Dr. Detroit

W3WN
09-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Haha whoa, I got a little queazy looking at that atrocity of a sandwich.Yeah. Everyone knows it should have been on a bagel.Nah. You don't do something like THAT to a bagel.

Well, except maybe those frozen things that Lenders sells as bagels... but not real ones.

W3WN
09-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Hello all,

Dr. DetroitFunny, you don't look like Dan Aykroyd.

Welcome, welcome. 2nd drink is on my tab. Feel free to borrow my beach chair, down on the south side of the outside bar. It's the one with the unobstructed view of the attire-optional ladies-only beachfront... don't tell my wife...

suddenseer
09-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Hello all,

Despite my screen name, I live in Cleveland, Ohio, the aptly named "Mistake on the Lake." Looking forward to moving back to semi-rural upstate NY as soon as someone there will hire me. I'm an Extra Class ham and also hold a Canadian Advanced amateur license. My 12-year-old son just earned his Tech license and we're very proud of him.....

Hi Doc. I am in the process of moving to east of Cleveland. I will soon be operating 2M FM from the 22nd floor. I hope to work some Islanders nearby soon. I don't know if you are weird enough for this group, but 'normal' is a math term. It's all good.:cool2:

ki4itv
09-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Welcome to The Island Dr. D...
The collection of personalities here is a little unusual and not for everyone.
Frankly, I can't wait till late November when the tension subsides just a little.
I do hope you find a home here and enjoy your stay.
...and do wear your glasses around the bar, we've lost three eyes already this year do to malfunctioning Chinese drink umbrellas and one unfortunate drunken EZ-hang antenna party mishap. ;)

Dr. Detroit
09-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the welcome notes. This Island is a goodly, righteous and blessed land, and I shall dwell here.

Dr. Detroit

KG4CGC
09-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all the welcome notes. This Island is a goodly, righteous and blessed land, and I shall dwell here.

Dr. Detroit

Grass skirts are hanging on the fence on the pier nearest the shore. You will find yours there. Optional thigh straps are available for those who need them at the concierge's office located on the mezzanine in the Alpha Hotel. Custom tailoring available.

NQ6U
09-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Optional thigh straps are available for those who need them

I got the last of the XXXL, though.

—Pope Carlo l

N2NH
09-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Welcome to our sunny shores. Hope you enjoy the stay.

X-Rated
09-23-2012, 05:36 PM

Dr. Detroit

Have it your way. Your loss. ;)

KJ3N
09-23-2012, 07:21 PM
I got the last of the XXXL, though.

—Pope Carlo l

Yeah, for your nose, Pinocchio. :roll:

kf0rt
09-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, for your nose, Pinocchio. :roll:

The Pope has "thunder thighs." :rofl:

NA4BH
09-23-2012, 07:34 PM
The Pope has "thunder thighs." :rofl:

Or is that a pocket rocket?

KG4CGC
09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Or is that a pocket rocket?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICa3jop6HS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICa3jop6HS0

AE1PT
09-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Hello all,

Dr. Detroit

Welcome! What part of Upstate are you considering?

Please don't wait for the villagers to pretend that they are sane. The first thing a severely mentally ill person will tell you is that they are fine--its everyone else. Also, beware the guy that has put 3 of his eyes out. He only has 3 left now, and is getting a bit bitchy about it.

Stay away from the Island Girls--regardless of how they look in those flimsy grass skirts. You may get more than you bargained for...

P.S. Don't piss off the bartender. It is rumored that he will take a leak in the drinks if goaded. He is also the head resident cigar aficionado...

KG4CGC
09-24-2012, 09:12 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/15RJ_zpsc2b073b7.jpg

Dr. Detroit
09-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Welcome! What part of Upstate are you considering?

Back to Rochester, I hope. Do you use the WR2AHL system near Bristol Mtn.? Awesome wide-area repeater.

Stay away from the Island Girls--regardless of how they look in those flimsy grass skirts.

Ha! After 33+ years of loyal, happy marriage, I am a grandmaster of self-restraint. Trust me.

. . . the bartender . . . is also the head resident cigar aficionado...

That's good to know. Here's hoping he's well-stocked with Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Classics.

73 de Dr. Detroit

KG4CGC
09-25-2012, 12:15 AM
How about something from Carlito Fuente's private vault?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Boda%20Pipes%20Alec%20Bradley%20Black%20Market%20S moker/Overflow/085_zps50dd86f2.jpg

Can't tell you how but there it is.

KA9MOT
09-25-2012, 12:41 AM
OK, I just saw this. Allow me to contribute (better late then never)!

Hi, My name is Steve and I'm a Radioholic.

More about me:

Opinionated Asshole since 1961.

Retired OTR Trucker 1979-2006. 3,000,000 accident free miles in a big truck.

Ham since 2003, originally licensed as kcØrey.

Married to Mellisa KC9NSE, and father to Jeff (28 ) and Steven Jr. (13) that we know of.... (fast trucks and faster women).

And that pretty much encompasses who I am.

Dr. Detroit
09-27-2012, 12:52 AM
How about something from Carlito Fuente's private vault?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Boda%20Pipes%20Alec%20Bradley%20Black%20Market%20S moker/Overflow/085_zps50dd86f2.jpg

Can't tell you how but there it is.

That there is a thing of beauty.

Dr. Detroit

KK4AMI
10-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Welcome Sir. Ya gave away too much in your description. I figured out who you are. If you are going to move to upstate New York, any chance you could move next door to Cory (KC2UGV)? :lol:

KC2UGV
10-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Welcome Sir. Ya gave away too much in your description. I figured out who you are. If you are going to move to upstate New York, any chance you could move next door to Cory (KC2UGV)? :lol:

My two neighbor's houses are for sale... lol

KB3ZGV
12-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi, my name is Joe and I am a Misfit Ham :(

N8YX
12-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Welcome, Joe. By any chance do you know Charlie Babbitt?

KB3ZGV
12-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Welcome, Joe. By any chance do you know Charlie Babbitt?

From Rain Man?

KA9MOT
12-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Uh-huh....Got yourself banned didn't you...... :clap:

Welcome to the Island Joe. Great bunch of people here, and the native girls are HAWT! Hell, we'll even let ya' talk about CBs!

KB3ZGV
12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Do I have to genuflect before I say "ARRL" here?

KA9MOT
12-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Don't forget the Holy Water and Incense :lol:

NQ6U
12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the Island, Joe. I think you'll find that the natives are (mostly) friendly.

Barkeep, give this man the umbrella drink of his choice and put it on my tab.

KJ3N
12-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the Island, Joe. I think you'll find that the natives are (mostly) friendly.

Barkeep, give this man the umbrella drink of his choice and put it on my tab.

Is that the same tab that's fast approaching the GDP of Brazil? ;)

N2CHX
12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Uh-huh....Got yourself banned didn't you...... :clap:

Welcome to the Island Joe. Great bunch of people here, and the native girls are HAWT! Hell, we'll even let ya' talk about CBs!

Yes we are.

Welcome, Joe.

NQ6U
12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Is that the same tab that's fast approaching the GDP of Brazil? ;)

No, I paid it off last month. It's gone up since then but its nowhere near where it was. Now it's roughly equal to the GDP of Tuvalu.

KJ3N
12-03-2012, 12:02 PM

Congratulations on getting yourself sent to the corn field so soon. :agree:

It took me at least a few years to get the boot off of QRZ. I bow before the master. :bowdown: :rofl:

WØTKX
12-03-2012, 01:17 PM

Wear a proper bowler hat, use a bumbershoot as a cane, now proceed with your personal method of a silly walk.

kf0rt
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Welcome to Hamis Land. We're looking forward to all your Hamis stories.

X-Rated
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM

No. But you do before you say "A RLR".

WØTKX
12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Aaaaaaye, four-roger!

KG4CGC
12-03-2012, 02:53 PM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Copy_of_IMG_01731_zpsd1f9f3ae.jpg

Welcome to the Island. Grab a pole and a deck chair and throw your mahi on the fire or smoke pit. The grass skirts are an option we just ask that you keep your junk covered.

K7SGJ
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Hello Joe. Grab your drink at the bar on the beach, grab a complimentary pole and bait, and troll away.

AB3MV
12-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Hi All, I'm Mark, AB3MV. I was in the process of self-deporting from amateur radio when I discovered this place.

KA9MOT
12-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Welcome Mark! Kick back, put your feet up and the bartender will be by in a minute.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi All, I'm Mark, AB3MV. I was in the process of self-deporting from amateur radio when I discovered this place.

Welcome, Mark. I assure you, if radio is the problem, then the spoon makes you fat.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/ZoltansNoseThatsadouble_zps95f05fcd.jpg

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Yeah, this place will do that to you...

K7SGJ
12-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Hi ya Mark, welcome to a little slice of ham heaven.

BTW, hang on to the rig, we may have an all band, all month, all mode, Island contest soon. Mostly just to tie up the bands, especially on the weekends. The staff is very well paid here, and I'm certain that they will donate big bux to insure that substantial cash awards will be issued. Any signal report other than a 5x9 will be automatically disqualified. Contact station information accuracy is not required. You don't need no stinking logs, LOTW, or any of that shit for proof either, we all lie so you won't be believed anyway. Operation in an altered state is encouraged and will earn extra points.

KJ3N
12-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Operation in an altered state is encouraged and will earn extra points.

*reaches for his stash and papers* :cool2:

;) :lol:

N8YX
12-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Welcome, wilkommen. Why don't you loosen up your bullets or sumpthin'?

PA5COR
12-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Welcome, think you are in the right place ;) Nutters united we are.

K7SGJ
12-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Welcome, think you are in the right place ;) Nutters united we are.

Nutters untied for us dyslexics.

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 10:42 AM
*reaches for his stash and papers* :cool2:

;) :lol:

Hey, that's my job.

KJ3N
12-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Hey, that's my job.

Too late. :neener:

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Too late. :neener:

Meh, my shit's better anyway. And you can't have any, so nyahhhh!

AB3MV
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
BTW, hang on to the rig, we may have an all band, all month, all mode, Island contest soon. Mostly just to tie up the bands, especially on the weekends. The staff is very well paid here, and I'm certain that they will donate big bux to insure that substantial cash awards will be issued. Any signal report other than a 5x9 will be automatically disqualified. Contact station information accuracy is not required. You don't need no stinking logs, LOTW, or any of that shit for proof either, we all lie so you won't be believed anyway. Operation in an altered state is encouraged and will earn extra points. You're too late. I sold my last all-mode, multi-band radio on the Zed a week and a half ago. :)

K7SGJ
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
You're too late. I sold my last all-mode, multi-band radio on the Zed a week and half ago. :)

Yeah, but just like Frito's , you can get more.

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
You're too late. I sold my last all-mode, multi-band radio on the Zed a week and a half ago. :)

Q R Zed.... Slowly i turned. Step by step. Inch by inch.....

X-Rated
12-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Pfred is Zed.
That's what I said.

kf0rt
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Meh, my shit's better anyway. And you can't have any, so nyahhhh!

You didn't bring enough for the whole class? :wtf:

N8YX
12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
You're too late. I sold my last all-mode, multi-band radio on the Zed a week and a half ago. :)
But you can always build another rig...right? ;)

W3WN
12-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Do I have to genuflect before I say "ARRL" here?Hell no.

KA9MOT
12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but just like Frito's , you can get more.

But not Twinkies, Ho-Hos or Zingers!

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
But not Twinkies, Ho-Hos or Zingers!

Mexican Hostess treats are better anyway. Sugar and butter vs HFCS and plastic. Looks like Bimbo will probably start making them unless we all die 3 days before Christmas.

AB3MV
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
But you can always build another rig...right? ;)

The only HF radio that I currently own is a Ten-Tec 1330 30m CW rig that I built back in 2009.

K7SGJ
12-05-2012, 09:59 PM
The only HF radio that I currently own is a Ten-Tec 1330 30m CW rig that I built back in 2009.

Nothin wrong wid dat.

N8YX
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Nothin wrong wid dat.
Unless you're an SSB-only op. :snicker:

KJ3N
12-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Unless you're an SSB-only op. :snicker:

That's what RTTY and PSK are for.

EightGodzillas
12-13-2012, 04:32 PM
I just passed my tech and general Saturday. I always wanted to get into Ham and never had the chance. I am tryign to be somewhat old school with my equipment. So I am buying a Drake TR-4C this Saturday. I'm looking for some other parts as I can, when I see deals. I am also very interested in learning all I can, especially in CW. Working on that now.

N8YX
12-13-2012, 04:41 PM
I just passed my tech and general Saturday. I always wanted to get into Ham and never had the chance. I am tryign to be somewhat old school with my equipment. So I am buying a Drake TR-4C this Saturday. I'm looking for some other parts as I can, when I see deals. I am also very interested in learning all I can, especially in CW. Working on that now.

Buy the RV-4C. You'll thank me.

KC2UGV
12-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Congrats on your ticket :)

VE7DCW
12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Congratulations Shane on passing your Exams.......and welcome to the Island! :agree:

KK4AMI
12-13-2012, 04:57 PM

Welcome to the Island. I appreciate having some fellow newbies! :) I hate being the only one asking dumb questions.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the Island. I appreciate having some fellow newbies! :) I hate being the only one asking dumb questions.

It's okay--you can make up for having competition by asking the dumbest ones ;)

KK4AMI
12-13-2012, 05:10 PM
It's okay--you can make up for having competition by asking the dumbest ones ;)

Good to know I have a place in Society. :hyper:

EightGodzillas
12-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Buy the RV-4C. You'll thank me.

Do you have one for sale?

I will also add that my dad, who will be 67 in three days, always wanted his license and never took it because he couldn't get the Morse Code down. He used to use CBs in the 70s, hopping them up with power, etc. He also used to repair TVs in the 70s, so he is very familiar with electronis. (He also worked for IBM, ITT, Fairchild and Teredyne.) His friend was a serious Ham and he always wanted to do it. I told him I was taking the exam and that he didn't need to know Morse. He started studying and in two weeks was ready to take the test with me. My mother, who is 66, used to do drafting for an engineering firm when she was young. She saw us studying and said she wanted to take it.

Dad and I got our General and Mom only tested for Tech, but she passed, only missing two questions. Her goal is to have extra within a year. Dad is studying extra now. I don't have time now, but I will later. Anyway, we all tested together and got our tickets together, so that was pretty cool.