PDA

View Full Version : Intros

Pages : 1 [2] 3

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Do you have one for sale?

I will also add that my dad, who will be 67 in three days, always wanted his license and never took it because he couldn't get the Morse Code down. He used to use CBs in the 70s, hopping them up with power, etc. He also used to repair TVs in the 70s, so he is very familiar with electronis. (He also worked for IBM, ITT, Fairchild and Teredyne.) His friend was a serious Ham and he always wanted to do it. I told him I was taking the exam and that he didn't need to know Morse. He started studying and in two weeks was ready to take the test with me. My mother, who is 66, used to do drafting for an engineering firm when she was young. She saw us studying and said she wanted to take it.

Dad and I got our General and Mom only tested for Tech, but she passed, only missing two questions. Her goal is to have extra within a year. Dad is studying extra now. I don't have time now, but I will later. Anyway, we all tested together and got our tickets together, so that was pretty cool.

Now THAT'S a cool story!

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Now THAT'S a cool story!

Yeah! The family that hams together....[somethings] together!

What's the right word here?

WØTKX
12-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Oscillates?

KJ3N
12-13-2012, 05:51 PM
:popcorn:

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Oscillates?

It should rhyme with "ham."

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
slams
jams
crams
m'aams

W7XF
12-13-2012, 06:20 PM

I will also add that my dad, who will be 67 in three days, always wanted his license and never took it because he couldn't get the Morse Code down. He used to use CBs in the 70s, hopping them up with power, etc. He also used to repair TVs in the 70s, so he is very familiar with electronis. (He also worked for IBM, ITT, Fairchild and Teredyne.) His friend was a serious Ham and he always wanted to do it. I told him I was taking the exam and that he didn't need to know Morse. He started studying and in two weeks was ready to take the test with me. My mother, who is 66, used to do drafting for an engineering firm when she was young. She saw us studying and said she wanted to take it.

Dad and I got our General and Mom only tested for Tech, but she passed, only missing two questions. Her goal is to have extra within a year. Dad is studying extra now. I don't have time now, but I will later. Anyway, we all tested together and got our tickets together, so that was pretty cool.

So, how old are you? Need to know that so the bartender knows what to serve you. Just put it on Pope Carlo's (KJ6BSO) tab...

EightGodzillas
12-13-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm 42, so this is the year I learn about life, the universe and everything. We figured the family that hams together jams together.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm 42, so this is the year I learn about life, the universe and everything. We figured the family that hams together jams together.

Yeah, "jams" is no doubt the best option.

Seriously, though, it's a cool thing for your whole family to do this together. I hope all three of you end up enjoying ham radio as much as I have—it's a really great hobby.

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Haaa! Nice. I'm the only radio nerd in my family. They all run away screaming when I turn on a radio.

WØTKX
12-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Haaa! Nice. I'm the only radio nerd in my family. They all run away screaming when I turn on a radio.

That's a handy trick, isn't it?

KA9MOT
12-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Congratulations and welcome to my favorite forum! So, what is the new callsign?

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
That's a handy trick, isn't it?

True. Makes you wonder why it is I can never go to the freakin' bathroom in peace. I turn on a radio, they run away. I go to the bathroom, they gather at the door to ask questions. WTF?

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 08:28 PM
True. Makes you wonder why it is I can never go to the freakin' bathroom in peace. I turn on a radio, they run away. I go to the bathroom, they gather at the door to ask questions. WTF?

By now you pretty much know what they want. Put everything in box and place it on the kitchen counter. When they ask for something, "box in the kitchen on the counter."

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 08:36 PM
By now you pretty much know what they want. Put everything in box and place it on the kitchen counter. When they ask for something, "box in the kitchen on the counter."

Ha! Nice. Actually, I'm glad they ask. I've always taught them to ask for things before they just take and they're really good about that. As they've gotten older I've loosened up on that sort of thing, but they still ask. I'm cool with that, I just wish they'd wait the 45 seconds for me to get in and out of the bathroom. I NEVER take long in the bathroom. I mean, I did radio. I mastered the art of going to the bathroom in 3.5 minutes or less. Usually a lot less. 35 seconds is more like it, but almost without fail, someone will come to the door anyway. A lot of times after 2:45 PM on a weekday, it's to tell me some funny thing that happened at school.

N8YX
12-13-2012, 09:02 PM
No, but go to www.zerobeat.net and look up the Drake List. Post an ad for sale there and you'll have several from which to choose.

That, or head to Dayton. You're always sure to find half a dozen there.

...He also worked for IBM, ITT, Fairchild and Teredyne.
Ask your dad if he ever had anything to do with Mackay Marine while at ITT, and if so: What.

EightGodzillas
12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
No, but go to www.zerobeat.net (http://www.zerobeat.net) and look up the Drake List. Post an ad for sale there and you'll have several from which to choose.

That, or head to Dayton. You're always sure to find half a dozen there.

Ask your dad if he ever had anything to do with Mackay Marine while at ITT, and if so: What.
My mom lived n Woodville back in the 60's. That's close to Dayton, isn't it?

I remember hearing the name Mackey Marine when I was a kid. I'll ask him. He mainly worked in test equipment.

EightGodzillas
12-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Congratulations and welcome to my favorite forum! So, what is the new callsign?
I don't have it yet. But I have checked the site like 50 times. Trust me, when I get it you guys will see my name changed.

kf0rt
12-13-2012, 10:13 PM

You just might have a future in reality TV. :rofl:

NQ6U
12-14-2012, 12:46 AM
You just might have a future in reality TV. :rofl:

Here Comes Kelli Boo-Boo

n6hcm
12-14-2012, 05:34 AM
slams
jams
crams
m'aams

the family that crams together hams together!

N2CHX
12-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Here Comes Kelli Boo-Boo

When you least expect it my friend, I will be waiting for you :twisted:

X-Rated
12-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I just passed my tech and general Saturday. I always wanted to get into Ham and never had the chance. I am tryign to be somewhat old school with my equipment. So I am buying a Drake TR-4C this Saturday. I'm looking for some other parts as I can, when I see deals. I am also very interested in learning all I can, especially in CW. Working on that now.

First off, welcome to the ham community. You will love it.

Secondly, if you really want to learn CW, copy a lot. Back in the 70's, I had to copy 20wpm for my no-code extra I have today. What I did was work my way up through the lower speeds on w1aw and then copy the 18wpm bulletins from w1aw. Get to where you are 100% at that. For me, it's like a bicycle. You fall off and scrape your knees. Now I use computer programs to send, but there is really no substitute on the computer for copying by ear. Only computer assistance. CW never gets old. It is the best mode out there if you like DX. Learning it pays dividends in the hobby.

KC5AT
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
How time flies when you are having fun (or getting old)! It seems I have been lurking for over 2 months now, I reckon I should at least introduce myself;
I have been “doing” Ham Radio since 1993 but never got really serious about it until last summer. The Navy never allowed me to stay in one place very long and setting up temporary stations never really appealed to me. I guess I overlooked the only true and righteous purpose of amateur radio, that of being prepared for “When All Else Fails”. I am now a happy home owner. I looked long and hard to find a place with no restrictions – if I am going to pay a quarter of a million dollars for something, I am going to do with it what I want. Thus, the metallic trees have been sprouting well in my new yard. Only one neighbor seems to have taken notice at all, “I bet you can get TV all the way from NYC with that thing”.
I haven’t been booted from any of the other sites, but, I haven’t seen anything worth responding to on them either. I do, however, present the following as evidence of my “mis-fitness”;
I am not a contester.
I am not a “Big Gun”.
I have yet to earn an award. Maybe because I have yet to attempt any?
I am not a member of any ARES, RACES or SKYWARN group (I do not even own a neon yellow vest or a flashing orange light). I am a longtime member of the ARRL but only because I really like the back half of QST.
I often experiment with different modes but my attention span seems to be too short to stick with any one of them long enough to be able to declare to the world that it is the only one worth working. I am quite content with SSB ragchews and occasional net check-ins. Don’t tell anyone but, I even sometimes stop by 14.313 and take a listen just for a chuckle (although it hasn’t been as enjoyable since the Sheriff got Ol’ Jesse James).
I do not know all there is to know about everything and, stingily, I do not offer what I do know about anything unless I am specifically asked to.
There, Islanders, is my humble plea for acceptance. What say Ye?

KG4CGC
03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
WELCOME TO THE ISLAND!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/02_zpsbb12d19f.jpg

K7SGJ
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the Island. Enjoy you're stay, and I hope you find a cure for those monster crabs. Think pot of boiling water

NQ6U
03-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the Island! Don't worry, the natives are (mostly) friendly and the mahi are always biting down in the cove.

Barkeep, give this man the top shelf adult beverage of his choice and put it on the Vatican's tab. Those boys in red are sucking down so much "sacramental" wine right now that no one would ever notice.

PA5COR
03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Welcome to the Island!.
Not doing conntests just to give a few points away, max 1000 watts here ( FT 2000-D and Heathkit SB-1000) and a buch homebrew/given antenna's on the edge of the city, se qrz page.
Hope we meet up anywhere on the bands.
Have fun ;)

VE7DCW
03-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the Island! Don't worry, the natives are (mostly) friendly and the mahi are always biting down in the cove.

Barkeep, give this man the top shelf adult beverage of his choice and put it on the Vatican's tab. Those boys in red are sucking down so much "sacrificial" wine right now that no one would ever notice.

"The Vatican's tab"??? ... my,my, we're being presumptious......pass the Island pope test and now you believe the the rest of the cardinals can now be bought? ......

Hail Pope Carlo !!!!

....and to KC5AT .....welcome to the Island ........ The management keeps claiming the Pope's bar tab never gets paid,but it's not safe really to question the faith of a religious man.....:rofl:

KA9MOT
03-12-2013, 05:05 PM
WHAT? NO YELLOW VEST? Git a rope!

Welcome to the Island!

WX7P
03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Welcome to the Island.

Righteous, dude...

KC5AT
03-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks to all. I think I may like it here. Barkeep, make it rum and coke, hold the rum. Fact; I drink, I go to jail. EVERYTIME! I don't enjoy jail as much as I used to.

K7SGJ
03-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks to all. I think I may like it here. Barkeep, make it rum and coke, hold the rum. Fact; I drink, I go to jail. EVERYTIME! I don't enjoy jail as much as I used to.

It's strange how one kind of bars leads to another kind of bars, no?

X-Rated
03-13-2013, 09:28 AM
How time flies when you are having fun (or getting old)! It seems I have been lurking for over 2 months now, I reckon I should at least introduce myself;
I have been “doing” Ham Radio since 1993 but never got really serious about it until last summer. The Navy never allowed me to stay in one place very long and setting up temporary stations never really appealed to me. I guess I overlooked the only true and righteous purpose of amateur radio, that of being prepared for “When All Else Fails”. I am now a happy home owner. I looked long and hard to find a place with no restrictions – if I am going to pay a quarter of a million dollars for something, I am going to do with it what I want. Thus, the metallic trees have been sprouting well in my new yard. Only one neighbor seems to have taken notice at all, “I bet you can get TV all the way from NYC with that thing”.
I haven’t been booted from any of the other sites, but, I haven’t seen anything worth responding to on them either. I do, however, present the following as evidence of my “mis-fitness”;
I am not a contester.
I am not a “Big Gun”.
I have yet to earn an award. Maybe because I have yet to attempt any?
I am not a member of any ARES, RACES or SKYWARN group (I do not even own a neon yellow vest or a flashing orange light). I am a longtime member of the ARRL but only because I really like the back half of QST.
I often experiment with different modes but my attention span seems to be too short to stick with any one of them long enough to be able to declare to the world that it is the only one worth working. I am quite content with SSB ragchews and occasional net check-ins. Don’t tell anyone but, I even sometimes stop by 14.313 and take a listen just for a chuckle (although it hasn’t been as enjoyable since the Sheriff got Ol’ Jesse James).
I do not know all there is to know about everything and, stingily, I do not offer what I do know about anything unless I am specifically asked to.
There, Islanders, is my humble plea for acceptance. What say Ye?

I didn't know that turning in my meager CQWW CW results would have gotten me an award one year, but it did.

Welcome to the Island. Bill would have welcomed you too but he was perma banned.

KG4CGC
03-13-2013, 11:05 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Cacocalo_zps4b59899f.png

K7SGJ
03-13-2013, 12:05 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Cacocalo_zps4b59899f.png

That's exactly how I feel. A lone Pepsi Cola in a world of Coca Cola.

KG4CGC
03-13-2013, 12:06 PM
That's exactly how I feel. A lone Pepsi Cola in a world of Coca Cola.

Yeah but you still have to eat your broccoli.

kb2vxa
03-13-2013, 01:56 PM
"That's exactly how I feel. A lone Pepsi Cola in a world of Coca Cola."

You've got your troubles, I've got mine
You need some sympathy, well so do I
She used to drink Pepsi, that I know
And it don't seem so long ago
That we were walking
That we were talking
And drinking Pepsi
The way that lovers do
------ instrumental break ------
I too have lost my love today
All of my dreams have flown away
And so forgive me if I seem unkind

"Yeah but you still have to eat your broccoli."

Cubby Broccoli?

W2NAP
03-13-2013, 05:39 PM
im more of a mt dew kinda guy.

X-Rated
03-13-2013, 07:48 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzWHwNEAFNxAdVYdb4moA4hsAFbDcMg h-brDBX55I072lPDBsnAg

K7SGJ
03-13-2013, 10:22 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzWHwNEAFNxAdVYdb4moA4hsAFbDcMg h-brDBX55I072lPDBsnAg

^^^This. +1E12

NA4BH
03-13-2013, 10:39 PM
^^^This. +1E12

What does that mean? Is it hyrogliffs? Click language? Sub human grunting? Maybe porcine love speak? :whistle:

K7SGJ
03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
What does that mean? Is it hyrogliffs? Click language? Sub human grunting? Maybe porcine love speak? :whistle:

Pig Latin. Maxwell taught it to me.

VE7DCW
03-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Pig Latin. Maxwell taught it to me.

That little Weeeeeeeee is great teacher!:rofl:

kb2vxa
03-15-2013, 07:33 PM
It's Maxwell Speak for the number one, "this +1". It's scientific notation, instead of ^ E is used to indicate exponent. Work it out, one times itself twelve times is still one. He sneaky but me smart... smart enough to look it up. (;->)

K7SGJ
03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
It's Maxwell Speak for the number one, "this +1". It's scientific notation, instead of ^ E is used to indicate exponent. Work it out, one times itself twelve times is still one. He sneaky but me smart... smart enough to look it up. (;->)

Damn, I figured I could just sorta slip that past everyone, but not you, ya little rascal you.

X-Rated
03-17-2013, 08:37 AM

Negatory good buddy. 1E+12 is scientific notation for 1 times 10 to the 12th power. So in this instance it is a trillion.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081021150304AASqnUA

Also if you have a spreadsheet program you can do this instead of zeros.

kb2vxa
03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Uh uh, the notation was 1E12, not 1E+12 so penalty, penalty, send you back to factory. (;->)

"Damn, I figured I could just sorta slip that past everyone, but not you, ya little rascal you."

X-Rated
03-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Same thing. Try it on the spreadsheet. "+" isn't necessary except to assure that it is not "-".

1e12 = 1e+12 = 1E12 = 1E+12 = 1,000,000,000,000.

Sorry.

K7SGJ
03-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Sorry I brought it up. Next time I use a metric shit ton. (which everyone knows is equal to +1E12)

NQ6U
03-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Sorry I brought it up. Next time I use a metric shit ton. (which everyone knows is equal to +1E12)

No, you're thinking of an Imperial shit ton. A metric shit ton is equal to +1E12+200

K7SGJ
03-17-2013, 10:49 AM
No, you're thinking of an Imperial shit ton. A metric shit ton is equal to +1E12+200

Damn it, I always get those confused. Thank you. I stand erected.

Mahalo Nui Loa

kb2vxa
03-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Mahalo Nui Loa

F4GUG
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Hello

Sorry if it is not the good thread

I am Sylvain, 44 old, french
And i use a simple english:(

Novice with F0 since september 2011
Hamradio since October 2012

I come here to learn by reading

73 GUG

W4GPL
04-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Welcome Sylvain!

Glad to have you with us! :cheers:

NQ6U
04-16-2013, 11:57 AM
No worries, Sylvain, this is exactly the right thread for your post. Welcome to the Island, I think you'll find the natives (mostly) friendly—at least, as long as you stay out of the political section—and there is a very large amount of knowledge available for the asking.

Barkeep, pour M. Gambade a Pernod and put it on my tab.

WX7P
04-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Bonjour mon ami from *lovely* Illinois.

73 de WU9G, Janet

F4GUG
04-16-2013, 12:19 PM
thank you for your welcome ;)

PA5COR
04-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Welcome Sylvain from the Netherlands/Pays Bas.
We've been a few times to Bordeaux in our hollidays to France.
Have fun here, hope to read a lot from you ;)

N2CHX
04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Welcome, Sylvain.

NA4BH
04-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Welcome from Alabama. Glad to have you here.

K7SGJ
04-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Aloha, Sylvain. There is much here to learn, as long as you do as our Island Pope says, and you don't go near the politics section. Glad to have you here.

WØTKX
04-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Hey there Sylvain! Who's the smiling imp on your shoulder?

F4GUG
04-16-2013, 04:10 PM
thank you

Hey there Sylvain! Who's the smiling imp on your shoulder?
My daughter, she listens radio with me when i am at my office

Politic : no problem, i never speak politic :)

73 GUG

X-Rated
04-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Welcome to America (internet). Don't let me scare you off.

WØTKX
04-16-2013, 10:22 PM
She's a cutie. :yes:

Alas I know little French, and have had to read translations of your great authors, like our Mark Twain, eh? I took some German in school years ago. Oh well. But mess with us, you'll learn a lot of USA slang around here. Oh, videos and cartoons as well. That's my fault, usually. :lol:

However, most of us here dig this serenade... does your daughter dance to this song? ;)

http://youtu.be/8hrbkn7Vwd4

http://youtu.be/8hrbkn7Vwd4

N2NH
04-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the Island Sylvain. Bonjour et bontemps.

KC9SQR
04-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the Island! I think you will like it around here :)

KG4CGC
04-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Welcome!
The bar is open, literally. Just grab something. I'm trying to learn a new machine and OS on a touch screen ... sooooo ... http://s25.photobucket.com/user/bebop5/library/drinks?sort=3&page=1

NQ6U
04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Welcome!
The bar is open, literally. Just grab something. I'm trying to learn a new machine and OS on a touch screen ... sooooo ... http://s25.photobucket.com/user/bebop5/library/drinks?sort=3&page=1

I'll fill in for you here, Charles.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Pernod_p_006.jpg/250px-Pernod_p_006.jpg

K7SGJ
04-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Welcome!

Last time I "just grabbed something" at the bar, I got a swift kick in the nuts.

kb2vxa
04-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Uh oh, at a bar that can give you beer nuts. Itchy nuts is a symptom so then it must be treated immediately before it goes into the terminal stage, cotton balls.

NA4BH
04-17-2013, 10:40 PM
And then after the neglect, they turn into cheese balls.

VE7DCW
04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
And then after the neglect, they turn into cheese balls.

Bob...... you were in the running to becoming an honourary Canadian ....... now with that remark......I don't know ....:lol:

K7SGJ
04-17-2013, 11:38 PM
When I was younger, a cheese ball wasn't a food, it was an activity with a dairy farmers daughter.

NA4BH
04-17-2013, 11:40 PM
You're thinking of the cheese log.

K7SGJ
04-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Oh Damn, I always get those confused.

kb2vxa
04-18-2013, 06:37 AM
You were saying something about cheese balls?

N8YX
05-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Please welcome Ryan, "Jazz003" to the Island. Ryan is unlicensed, has been studying mobile/portable radio technologies and is somewhat interested in amateur radio. He likes the climate of our forums.

Anyone want to help Elmer a newcomer into the ARS ranks?

KG4CGC
05-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Welcome Ryan.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Copy_of_IMG_01731_zpsd1f9f3ae.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/bebop5/media/drinks/Copy_of_IMG_01731_zpsd1f9f3ae.jpg.html)

NQ6U
05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Welcome, Ryan! Keep in mind the Island motto:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/43/6/AAAAAsV55wwAAAAAAENpGQ.jpg?v=1177361869000

NA4BH
05-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Welcome Ryan. Enjoy the Island.

WØTKX
05-31-2013, 10:11 PM
Jazz? Did someone say Jazz? Hiya Ryan, and welcome!

K7SGJ
05-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Hello Ryan, welcome to the Island. Since none of these other one eyed bastids mentioned it, take the umbrella otta the glass before you try to slam the drink down. This was a public service announcement.

F4GUG
06-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Welcome Ryan ;)

W3WN
07-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah but you still have to eat your broccoli.I just spent the last three months tilling the garden, planting the vegetables, weeding, mulching, watering, the whole schmear.

Yesterday afternoon, my wife walks out with a basketfull of broccoli, peppers, and lettuce... first harvest.

She's taking it to work today. To give away. Although she's leaving me one head of broccoli and one bell pepper.

*sigh*

Bubba
07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Welcome Ryan.

W9JEF
02-23-2014, 09:59 PM

Just noticed this thread. Sorry to keep y'all waiting.
I thought the PROFILE page was for that, but then,
the space there is rather limited.

Not enough information? To conserve bandwidth, for those interested,
there's the bio (& equipment info) at http://www.hamqth.com/w9jef

Here's Church Lady's kind of ham:

http://screen.yahoo.com/cold-opening-church-lady-saddam-000000151.html

X-Rated
02-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Just noticed this thread. Sorry to keep y'all waiting.
I thought the PROFILE page was for that, but then,
the space there is rather limited.

Not enough information? To conserve bandwidth, for those interested, there's the bio
(& equipment info, including my NVIS turnstile) on my Zed callsign page.

Here's Church Lady's kind of ham:

http://screen.yahoo.com/cold-opening-church-lady-saddam-000000151.html

Hi JEF. Yeah, I used to live down that way. You ever heard of Pittsburg, KS? I went to school there back in the 70's. Took several trips into Arkansas to see the scenery. Fun times.

W9JEF
02-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi JEF. Yeah, I used to live down that way. You ever heard of Pittsburg, KS? I went to school there back in the 70's. Took several trips into Arkansas to see the scenery. Fun times.

Pittsburg! (Minus the "h" at the end). Yeah, I was CE
at KKOW for a couple months, back in 1997.
The one friend I had there was Ol' Dan Willis (may he rest in peace).
They advertised for an "RF engineer" and first thing I did
was look at the ATU's at each tower base.
At one tower, the bottom of the lighting choke enclosure
had rusted out, and the unit is hanging there by its leads.
The whole infrastructure was badly deteriorated.
You could literally sprout seeds in the XMTR RF compartment dirt.
Second day on the job, it was raining, and I noticed water leaking
into the RF compartment of the Collins 10 kW main XMTR.
Had to fire up the RCA backup (5kW).

When they installed computers, I asked about my work station.
The reply was, "Why would YOU need one?" Left shortly after that.

X-Rated
02-26-2014, 06:52 PM
LOL. You know Pittsburg really well then. When I lived there, the callsign was Kiss Our A$$, Man. I don't think I remember a Dan. Was he a ham? That attitude employers had was pretty similar across Kansas. WTF do you need equipment to work? Do your work without any tools. Kiss Our A$$ Man.

At night, I could receive that station in Austin, TX, but I couldn't hear it in Arma. It seemed pretty directional at night.

In 1997, I lived in Lawrence. Inlaws lived in Neosho, Mo. I was taking that bypass around Pittsburg all the time back then.

Did you belong to the PRO? Pittsburg Repeater Organization? The 146.94 repeater was on the TV tower and the transmit side used the batwing antenna at about 650 feet. It was horizontally polarized. The receiver was on the tall tower at about 800 feet. Those were the good old days.

W9JEF
02-27-2014, 11:18 AM
I kinda had mixed feelings about Pittsburg. The cobblestone streets were neat,
but not the drivers. They were forever cutting you off, and didn't seem to give a rat's patoot
about courtesy. But there was the YMCA swimming pool, with water at 93F. :)

"Ol' Dan joined KKOW in 1964, and his career began at KUOA (1955),
which gave us more in common besides being old farts. I went with him
on all his many remotes. He had a huge fan base, he was much in demand.
His folksy voice reminded me of the Motel 6 guy whose spot ended with,
"We'll leave the light on."

http://www.kkowradio.com/upload/image/dan.jpg
Dan "Ol Dan" Willis

http://www.kkowradio.com/page.php?page_id=86

Was mostly on the DC bands, and didn't get to know any of the local hams;
renovating the station kept me quite busy. Since I own our home here in NW Ark.,
the commute was a bit long, so I rented an apartment in Pittsburg. Some neighbors
had a dog who, at daybreak, would emit a single "yip" once per minute until he got fed.
Not very conducive for sleep after an all-nighter of maintenance.

X-Rated
02-27-2014, 12:52 PM
I kinda had mixed feelings about Pittsburg. The cobblestone streets were neat,
but not the drivers. They were forever cutting you off, and didn't seem to give a rat's patoot
about courtesy. But there was the YMCA swimming pool, with water at 93F. :)

"Ol' Dan joined KKOW in 1964, and his career began at KUOA (1955),
which gave us more in common besides being old farts. I went with him
on all his many remotes. He had a huge fan base, he was much in demand.
His folksy voice reminded me of the Motel 6 guy whose spot ended with,
"We'll leave the light on."

http://www.kkowradio.com/upload/image/dan.jpg
Dan "Ol Dan" Willis

http://www.kkowradio.com/page.php?page_id=86

Was mostly on the DC bands, and didn't get to know any of the local hams;
renovating the station kept me quite busy. Since I own our home here in NW Ark.,
the commute was a bit long, so I rented an apartment in Pittsburg. Some neighbors
had a dog who, at daybreak, would emit a single "yip" once per minute until he got fed.
Not very conducive for sleep after an all-nighter of maintenance.

Jack Lawrence (W0TTF) was the engineer at KOAM-TV for many years. He was just a really great guy. He passed away just a few weeks ago. He was one of a few hams I knew who were very proud of their Advanced class licenses and refused to upgrade even thought they could easily. They were making a statement about the incentive license band planning that took away their band privileges and gave those to Extras only.

The pool water at the University was always hot as well. I lived on the cobblestone street of S. Elm not far from campus. I was able to buy the house for $4000 in 1977. We had royalty on campus as well. King Saud's grandson and I tooled around town in his new V-12 Jag. Maybe it is just me, but when I go back there, it seems like a very depressed place. I get depressed just looking at it. It is not the place it was nearly 40 years ago. Way downhill, kinda like the depressed condition you speak about of the KKOW equipment.

W9JEF
02-28-2014, 12:21 PM

Forgot to mention KRPS (89.9, "Radio Pittsburg State").
Our FM antenna was on their tower, xmtrs in same room.
I particularly like their early evening jazz programs.

X-Rated
02-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Forgot to mention KRPS (89.9, "Radio Pittsburg State").
Our FM antenna was on their tower, xmtrs in same room.
I particularly like their early evening jazz programs.

As I understand it, KRPS studios is in Shirk Hall. It is the same room I had when I was there my freshman year in 1976, the year before I got my house. I built an 80M antenna in that room and made CW contacts in 1976. Since that room already had radio background, I assume they felt it was best to use as a broadcast room and to commemorate me in some small way. KA0BNR says he was in the studios and that they are specifically in my old room 301 Shirk Hall. I was the floor rep. there. When someone had issues with something on the floor, they came to me. I was the liaison to the administration. I also served on the dorm committee and we scheduled keg parties and such. Back then, Kansas has a law to where an 18 year old could buy and consume 3.2% beer. The guy who lived in the room next door to me was a ~33 year old diabetic. He stayed in another dorm over the winter holidays. He apparently went into a diabetic fit during the holiday and died. That is where I met the Saudi prince as well. His room was decked out like a palace with a very fancy bed and draperies. He was in the dorm for one semester and then he bought a house. That southside third floor is rich in history that will never be properly recorded.

X-Rated
02-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Here is a view I found on the internet. I circled where my room was at Shirk (Shirar/KRPS Shirk). The cemetery was there as well.

Did you stay at the Bess hotel? I installed antennas on the Bess. I remember getting to go inside the Hotel Stillwell when I first got to town in 1976. The Democratic Party had offices there for the 1976 elections. The Hotel (http://www.hotelstilwellkansas.org/) looked a lot like the old picture back then. I thought they would demolish it. Fly a model airplane into it and watch it collapse.

My college job was working at Dick's Lectronics. I wanted them to use the slogan "Chicks like Dick's...Dick's Lectronics, 119 W 5th St, Pittsburg, KS." but they weren't too fond of that idea. Dick Parrish owned and ran the place. I worked on the bench in the back repairing 8-track tape players and other home and auto entertainment systems.

In the summer of '79, I worked at Chambers' Electronics. It was in Lowell, KS, right between Galena and Baxter Springs. Can't miss it. Built many UHF repeater systems for farmers wanting communications to family and workers. WA0UPB Rex Chambers was my boss there.

W9JEF
02-28-2014, 01:29 PM
I have a vague memory of visiting the KRPS studios.
(Something to do with our xmtrs' co-location.)

The strange thing is, as a Pizza Hut delivery driver,
had I not accepted the CE position at KKOW,
I'd still be working for this Gene Becknell, who
bought a series of Pizza Huts shortly after I was hired.

By the early 2000s, Pizza Hut entrepreneur Gene Bicknell
owned American Media Investments along with KOAM-TV
(reversing the 1981 split between KOAM TV and radio),
and AMI acquired a number of radio stations in the Joplin
-Pittsburg market with the newly relaxed ownership rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKOW_(AM)

X-Rated
02-28-2014, 01:44 PM
I have a vague memory of visiting the KRPS studios.
(Something to do with our xmtrs' co-location.)

The strange thing is, as a Pizza Hut delivery driver,
had I not accepted the CE position at KKOW,
I'd still be working for this Gene Becknell, who
bought a series of Pizza Huts shortly after I was hired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKOW_(AM)

I didn't know Gene Becknell, but I remember the name. Another big name in the area was Papa Joe Saia. I think the eastern bypass viaduct was named after him. When I moved to town, Papa Joe had a batch brewing in the basement that exploded and he was injured somewhat. Frontenac was huge back in the prohibition days and most people who lived there had surnames ending in "i" or "a", if you know what I mean. I bought my house from a Frontenac resident V. Macelli. Her husband used the house in Pittsburg as a getaway. He had passed on and she wanted rid of that hideous "miner's shack".

I have no idea about the studio. Wikipedia says that the KRPS studios is in Shirk.

Back in 1976-80, the transmitter was KSEK/KMRJ out there east of town. I am assuming that is where the KRPS transmitter is. They had a studio at the AM/FM transmitter. I guess I don't know where the KKOW studios were. I wasn't into country.

W9JEF
02-28-2014, 02:26 PM
I didn't know Gene Becknell, but I remember the name. Another big name in the area was Papa Joe Saia. I think the eastern bypass viaduct was named after him. When I moved to town, Papa Joe had a batch brewing in the basement that exploded and he was injured somewhat. Frontenac was huge back in the prohibition days and most people who lived there had surnames ending in "i" or "a", if you know what I mean. I bought my house from a Frontenac resident V. Macelli. Her husband used the house in Pittsburg as a getaway. He had passed on and she wanted rid of that hideous "miner's shack".

I have no idea about the studio. Wikipedia says that the KRPS studios is in Shirk.

Back in 1976-80, the transmitter was KSEK/KMRJ out there east of town. I am assuming that is where the KRPS transmitter is. They had a studio at the AM/FM transmitter. I guess I don't know where the KKOW studios were. I wasn't into country.

This was in 1997...

The KRPS transmitter (along with KKOW-FM)
was southwest of town, on 103, near Weir.

KKOW studios were collocated at the antenna farm
on 126, east--about half-way to the MO border.

X-Rated
02-28-2014, 02:57 PM
I see. I brought up Google Maps and see that the tower out east on Quincy was the KSEK/KMRJ complete station. However now there is no studio there. We had studios at the KOAM TV tower back in the day. One day they were doing their midday show when a massive chunk of ice came crashing through the roof from the tower. I see they have their studios in Joplin now.

When I worked for Chambers, we had responsibility for the 102.5 in Joplin as well. Somebody went out with a .22 and shot holes through the heliax near the transmitter. Amazingly, the station continued to operate without issue. Rex saw the damage when he went out there and took electrical tape to tape it all up. That worked until it rained and sparks flew. He ordered a section of heliax when he noticed the damage so it was on its way at the time. In the meantime, a friend of mine and I got permission to go out and hook up an FM receiver to the thing. We were receiving some St. Louis station quite well. Couldn't get anything on the low end of the band since KSYN and KOBC were blowing out the front end on the receiver down there.

So what is the tower on east Quincy now? Is that an AM station at all anymore?

W9JEF
02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Don't remember Quincy Street anymore, let alone the tower.
I do recall another station in town, but not the call.

Your Heliax story reminds me of when I was CE at Tulsa University's KWGS.
The off-air audio had a "gurgling" sound to it. On inspection, there was water
inside the coax which was actually boiling. Fortunately, there was more coax
than needed in the run, so the short leaky section was removed.

X-Rated
02-28-2014, 04:08 PM
We had the thing basically charred carbon all through the heliax. So the engineer climbed to the top of the tower and dumped trichlor down the hose to clean out the carbon from the heliax. Yeah. We had trichlor.

NM5TF
03-03-2014, 12:43 PM
even tho I've been here since 2012, I never introduced myself formally...like anyone cares..

and yeah, I'm a refugee from the cesspool....like quite a few others here...

some know me here as "Dish Boy" from my former avatar....quite the honor I think...

retired after 46+ years doing electronics stuff...mostly for da Gov't in various capacities...

if ya really want to know about me, you can always visit my personal website in my sig line

tommy

ad4mg
03-03-2014, 03:41 PM
some know me here as "Dish Boy" from my former avatar....quite the honor I think...

It sure is. They hang a nickname on you here, and you're good to go! It's not unlike the butt-sniffing thing dogs do to a new member of their pack. :)

KK4AMI
03-03-2014, 04:11 PM
even tho I've been here since 2012, I never introduced myself formally...like anyone cares..

and yeah, I'm a refugee from the cesspool....like quite a few others here...

retired after 46+ years doing electronics stuff...mostly for da Gov't in various capacities...

if ya really want to know about me, you can always visit my personal website in my sig line

tommy

JAGE - Just Another Government Employee like a lot of us :) Welcome to the Island. Gotta ask, did you get to meet Jody Foster?

NM5TF
03-03-2014, 04:50 PM
JAGE - Just Another Government Employee like a lot of us :) Welcome to the Island. Gotta ask, did you get to meet Jody Foster?

actually, I did meet Jody Foster & James Woods at the lunch tent on site....they had a 50 foot semi that was a rolling
commisary....they cooked almost anything to order that you could think of....the lunch tent was the size of a large
circus tent....they had almost 150 people on site...no wonder movies cost so much to make

Warner Bros was kind enuff to let us eat in the lunch tent with them...I was sitting with a couple of co-workers having
some Crab Salad...yeah fresh Crab flown in from the coast that morning.....

Jody saw us sitting there in our coveralls & asked if she could join us to get a feel for what it was like to work at the VLA

of course we said yes...while we were conversing with her James Woods walked up & also joined in the conversation...

we all thought she was very nice & genuinely interested in what we did there.....Woods is as wacky off screen as the
characters as he plays on screen....

Tom Berenger is a real man's man....he spent his off screen time playing poker with the crew...just one of the guys...

K7SGJ
03-03-2014, 06:21 PM
I always liked JF. She seems very down to earth. And welcome, 253 posts and over a year ago. Next time we go by there when we take the scenic route to Austin, we'll have to try to meet up for an eyeball. I try to go different ways since I-10 is such a boring drag.

AE5CP
05-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Well, I suppose I should introduce myself.
I am Billy, AE5CP.
I also live in Northwest Arkansas, and work for the big one that is homed there.
I have spent my fair share of time in southeast Kansas, Pittsburg, Fredonia, Parsons, Coffeyville, Iola for work in the past (just because I recognize some of the names and places mentioned).
I am a half-assed homebrew radio operator who gave up and bought a kenwood ts-590.
I actually participate in my local club, and chair the field day committee. I am also an ARRL member, but mostly for QST.

I can't stand anything Gordon West does, that dude is a douche.

I also drink Miller Lite, and TONS of it.

NQ6U
05-22-2014, 09:43 PM

You're gonna fit in here just fine. Welcome to the Island, Billy. Order up whatever you like and put it on the Vatican's tab.

—Pope Carlo l

NA4BH
05-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the madness Billy.

K7SGJ
05-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Welcome to these sunny shores.

And, don't listen to anything the last two guys say. They will steal you blind, and leave your Grandma in a ditch.

AE5CP
05-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Grandma is dead. They'd need some manual labor to achieve that particular task.

Barkeep, I'll take a case of Miller Lite. Put it on anyone's tab that isn't paying attention.

KG4CGC
05-22-2014, 11:40 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Timeline-of-Miller-Lite-Can-Designs1_zps3646f2d2.jpg

KG4CGC
05-22-2014, 11:42 PM
FBOM on the TS-590.

KJ3N
05-23-2014, 03:22 AM
I am a half-assed homebrew radio operator who gave up and bought a kenwood ts-590.

Nice radio. If I didn't have a K3, I would give that one serious consideration.

I like you so far. ;) :lol:

n0iu
05-23-2014, 05:32 AM
Welcome to Hamis Land!

But before you make another post, ask yourself one question...

http://electrokami.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dirty-harry-clint-eastwood.jpg

"Do you feel lucky today... punk?"

VE7DCW
05-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Welcome to Hamis Land!

But before you make another post, ask yourself one question...

http://electrokami.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dirty-harry-clint-eastwood.jpg

"Do you feel lucky today... punk?"

"........ and seeing this is a .44 magnum and it'll blow your head clean off...... "

I say gun violence belongs in the gun thread...... :mrgreen:

But welcome to the Island in any case AE5CP

:welcome:

VE7DCW
05-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Welcome to these sunny shores.

And, don't listen to anything the last two guys say. They will steal you blind, and leave your Grandma in a ditch.

You have to include yourself in that bunch too Eddie...... that strange Arizona desert does strange things to people :mrgreen:

kb2vxa
05-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the Island, and welcome to the Jersey Shore. When you get some time after the Memorial Day season opening, do as Barking Bob said; "Come on down!"

W9JEF
05-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Well, I suppose I should introduce myself.
I am Billy, AE5CP.
I also live in Northwest Arkansas, and work for the big one that is homed there.
I have spent my fair share of time in southeast Kansas, Pittsburg, Fredonia, Parsons, Coffeyville, Iola for work in the past (just because I recognize some of the names and places mentioned).
I actually participate in my local club, and chair the field day committee. I am also an ARRL member, but mostly for QST.

I also drink Miller Lite, and TONS of it.

Hi neighbor. :)

I'm in the Benton County boot-heel just off US412,
about halfway between Siloam and Springdale.

Back in '89, I chose the site and did the paperwork
for that 450 foot tower just west of Tontitown.
Also worked a few months as CE for KKOW in Pittsburg.

The "big one?" Would that be U of A, or Walm*rt?
The only Fayetteville ham I've met is W6JVE.

A homebrew op?
My Grounded B+ thread could use competent input. :yes:

. . . . . . . . . . . .73,

. . . . . . . . . . . . .Jim

An update on my bio and rig (no longer on the Zed)
--now at http://www.hamqth.com/w9jef

W2NAP
05-23-2014, 11:21 PM
oh kb2vxa (https://forums.hamisland.net/member.php/81-kb2vxa) that's nasty.

NA4BH
05-23-2014, 11:29 PM
oh kb2vxa (https://forums.hamisland.net/member.php/81-kb2vxa) that's nasty.

Nasty hot

:vomit:

AE5CP
05-24-2014, 12:29 AM
Hi neighbor. :)

Howdy!

I'm in the Benton County boot-heel just off US412,
about halfway between Siloam and Springdale.

Down by the river?
I love that area.

Back in '89, I chose the site and did the paperwork
for that 450 foot tower just west of Tontitown.

Know that site well. I worked for the local cable operator for 8 years starting as a cable guy and working my way up to a Network Engineer.
We did some work for them as well. We had a headend off of brush creek road just up the hill from that site.

Also worked a few months as CE for KKOW in Pittsburg.

During my stint with the cable operator I wound up in Pittsburg pretty often, we call it the crown jewel of southeast Kansas.
I liked the town, especially the speed trap near the university.

The "big one?" Would that be U of A, or Walm*rt?

Yes.

The only Fayetteville ham I've met is W6JVE.

Can't say I know that call. I am into the ham community, but not until relatively recently. My first club meeting was about 3 years ago.

A homebrew op?
My Grounded B+ thread could use competent input. :yes:

Good luck with that!
Competency in actually making homebrew electronics work is not my forte. I can fix things all day, but creating from scratch is a challenge.
[.

AE5CP
05-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Nasty hot

:vomit:
I love how the puke comes out of the nose as well... reminds me of my first encounter with too much vodka.

W9JEF
05-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Howdy!

Down by the river?
I love that area.

Yeah, from where we are, we look through the river valley to the south,
and to the west, where it makes a left and heads toward Lake Francis.
Good aperture for the Tulsa market TV's and Fort Smith to the south.
Not to mention DX--worked Christmas Island during a 160 CW 'test. :)

Know that site well. I worked for the local cable operator for 8 years
starting as a cable guy and working my way up to a Network Engineer.
We did some work for them as well. We had a headend off of brush creek road
just up the hill from that site.

It's a wildlife protected area, but devoid of trees where the guy wire anchors would go.
It was the perfect site for FM 2-county area coverage, and only 4 miles from our home.
The irony is, before construction began the new owners tried to screw me out of two weeks pay,
so we parted ways.

During my stint with the cable operator I wound up in Pittsburg pretty often, we call it the
crown jewel of southeast Kansas. I liked the town, especially the speed trap near the university.

Never got a traffic ticket, but there were lots of discourteous drivers in that town.

Good luck with that [grounded B+ thread]!
Competency in actually making homebrew electronics work is not my forte.
I can fix things all day, but creating from scratch is a challenge.

I started with a big tube-type regulated power supply that Tulsa U no longer needed.
The power transformer was the only useful component--built the amp around it.
Yes, good luck to anyone discussing a tech subject amidst constant childish distractions.

[.

W3NCH
07-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Greetings and Salutations!
My name is Ali, and I've been a HAM for just over a year (May 2013)
started in the cb when I was a kiddo, in high school some friends for their HAM licenses but I kept dragging my feet.
Got a wild hair last year and went for it. Got my tech and then my general the following week.
I have pretty much just hung out on 2 meter, but eventually plan to get an HF rig and go play with the big kids
I am originally from IL, but I now call Colorado home.
:)
nice to meet you!

KD0VND

KG4CGC
07-18-2014, 12:06 AM
started in the cb when I was a kiddo, in high school some friends for their HAM licenses but I kept dragging my feet.
Got a wild hair last year and went for it. Got my tech and then my general the following week.
I have pretty much just hung out on 2 meter, but eventually plan to get an HF rig and go play with the big kids
nice to meet you!

KD0VND

Welcome to the Island, Ali. The grass skirts are hanging on the nails by the pier.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Copy_of_IMG_01731_zpsd1f9f3ae.jpg

KG4CGC
07-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Oh, and, we're all wearing grass skirts.

K7SGJ
07-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Hello Ali. The fish are biting down by the the Lagoon bar. Poles are complementary, as are Sweds. Welcome and enjoy.

NQ6U
07-18-2014, 12:39 AM

Those of us who are wearing anything at all, that is. Don't worry, though, the nudists have their own beach where you're not forced to look at them. If you've ever been to a hamfest, you'll understand why we set things up that way.

n0iu
07-18-2014, 05:23 AM
nice to meet you!

KD0VND

Sure, you say that now. You may change your mind once you get to know us!

But in the mean time, welcome to The Island and to amateur radio!

KC2UGV
07-18-2014, 06:12 AM
nice to meet you!

KD0VND

Welcome to the Isles! Has the bartender arrived yet with your drink?

N8YX
07-18-2014, 06:38 AM
Welcome, Ali!

PA5COR
07-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Welcome, settle down, get a drink, and enjoy the place ;)

KJ3N
07-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Those of us who are wearing anything at all, that is. Don't worry, though, the nudists have their own beach where you're not forced to look at them. If you've ever been to a hamfest, you'll understand why we set things up that way.

Now pass me the brain bleach before I puke.

Bastid...

W5BRM
07-18-2014, 07:52 AM

And some of us are GRASSIER than others as well. Dont mind that.

And Welcome to the Island

WØTKX
07-18-2014, 08:35 AM
:lol:

Ali has arrived on our shores!

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bmqs_JXIIAAN_9d.jpg:large

W3NCH
07-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Lol it is nice to meet you *picks out a grass skirt*
my spork is better than Spock's spork.

WX7P
07-18-2014, 03:58 PM
nice to meet you!

KD0VND

Welcome to ham radio, Island style.

Congratulations on your Escape from Illinois! I'm completing my escape from the Bloomington area in mid-August to Eastern Washington...

Don't be shy about posting opinions or threads. Bear in mind this is a cantankerous bunch (Me? Sweet li'l old me?), so the more pointed the post, the more pointed the response may be. I have spears in the Island locker for my "special friends"....

Oh, BTW, you don't need to capitalize ham. We aren't THAT impressed with our bad selves.

NA4BH
07-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the Island Ali....

N2NH
07-18-2014, 04:47 PM
nice to meet you!

KD0VND

Welcome to the sunny shores. What do you use on 2M? Got a Yaesu VX-8 here.

Oh and very impressive Spork too.

KG4CGC
07-18-2014, 06:08 PM

OMG it's a woman!
*proceed with typical ham behavior when a woman keys up OTA*

WØTKX
07-18-2014, 06:29 PM
It's my fault, I invited her. Believe me, she can handle allayousefools! :shifty:

W7XF
07-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Ali.....this is the ONLY Bud served on the Island:

NQ6U
07-19-2014, 12:44 AM
She's got a Lava Lamp. That right there makes her okay in my book. The fact that she's deescalating the situation by waving her spork around just makes it better.

W3NCH
07-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Muhahahahaha
I will corrupt you :D

in my car I have a yaesu ft-270 in the house it's a yaesu ft-5100 I think? I'm not at home so I'll have to peek tomorrow when I return to my abode.

WX7P
07-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Muhahahahaha

That'll be preeeeety hard to do.

We're already mainly corrupt, or more likely warped...

N8YX
07-19-2014, 08:15 AM

Serviceable villains, the lot. :snicker:

K7SGJ
07-19-2014, 08:22 AM

Speak for yourself. Everyone knows I am totally uncorruptable as well being planed and sanded flat.

n0iu
07-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Serviceable villains, the lot. :snicker:

Damn! My service contract just expired!

KJ3N
07-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Muhahahahaha

Pfftt... you're way too late.

By the looks of her picture, quite a few of us were corrupt before she was born.

Can I yell at her to Get Off My Lawn, now? ;) :lol:

N2CHX
07-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Welcome, Ali.

WX7P
07-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Speak for yourself. Everyone knows I am totally uncorruptable as well being planed and sanded flat.

We KNOW what you think!

NM5TF
07-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Ali.....this is the ONLY Bud served on the Island:

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12717&stc=1

I see your bud & raise you 2 of these....

and welcome to these shores Ali....I have fond memories of Aurora, Colorado....went to USAF Electronics School at Lowry AFB

K7SGJ
07-19-2014, 12:08 PM
We KNOW what you think!

And something tells me, you don't care, either.

Pffft. I'll go reread my Guatemalan post card from some who DOES care. Oh........wait.........never mind.

W3NCH
07-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Hee hee. I'm not quite as young as I look. I did manage to reach 40 this year. Huzzah!

KK4AMI
07-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Hee hee. I'm not quite as young as I look. I did manage to reach 40 this year. Huzzah!

In this group, you are as young as you look and as young as we can remember. Welcome to the neighborhood.

NQ6U
07-19-2014, 04:56 PM
40?? Get off my lawn, kid!

N2CHX
07-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Hahahaha! Yeah, you'll soon figure out that you're on a site full of old men. You get used to it though, and they're pretty cool. Except that Pope Carlo guy.

NQ6U
07-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Hahahaha! Yeah, you'll soon figure out that you're on a site full of old men. You get used to it though, and they're pretty cool. Except that Pope Carlo guy.

For that, young lady, you better drop and give me twenty Hail Marys or you'll be doing an aeon of hard time in purgatory after you die. After you're done with the prayers, fetch me one of Charle's excellent mohitos then go, and sin no more.

—Da Pope

WX7P
07-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Hahahaha! Yeah, you'll soon figure out that you're on a site full of old men.

Whaddaya mean by that?

N2CHX
07-19-2014, 05:59 PM
For that, young lady, you better drop and give me twenty Hail Marys or you'll be doing an aeon of hard time in purgatory after you die. After you're done with the prayers, fetch me one of Charle's excellent mohitos then go, and sin no more.

Purgatory? No way man... It's hell or no deal.

Whaddaya mean by that?

Well yeah... I know there are exceptions... OBVIOUSLY! :mrgreen:

KC2UGV
07-19-2014, 07:39 PM

That is one baddass tat!

NM5TF
07-19-2014, 08:24 PM

OLD who's OLD ???

oh wait, just looked in the mirror & saw my Dad...

KJ3N
07-19-2014, 10:23 PM
OLD who's OLD ???

oh wait, just looked in the mirror & saw my Dad...

Which is even more upsetting if you're a woman.

W7XF
07-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Hmmm.....am I on 75???

W3NCH
07-20-2014, 06:28 PM
That is one baddass tat!

Thank you! I need to figure out the other arm or my forearm. Not sure which I want to do first :)

WØTKX
07-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Dragons. You need dragons. :yes:

K7SGJ
07-20-2014, 08:12 PM
I suppose your call sign is out of the question.........

NQ6U
07-20-2014, 08:21 PM
I have one tat. It's on my forehead and it says "POOR IMPULSE CONTROL".

Let's see how many of you folks get that literary reference

KG4CGC
07-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Dragons. You need dragons. :yes:

Tree frogs. Get tree frogs. I have a lot of original pictures of gray tree frogs.
I am the dragon. Tree frogs are our friends.

Not my work but I think it's cool. No, I don't wear any ink. If I ever do, it must be sacred. Nothing and everything is sacred.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/001/lizard_king_by_corcullah_zps0914b781.png

WØTKX
07-20-2014, 08:33 PM
I have the common allergy to nickel, and such. I think tats are cool, but my lily white skin is pretty sensitive to lots of things.

Except for mosquitoes and poison ivy, for some reason. Spider bites and wasp stings are nasty for me, bees not so much.

DNA weirdness. But yea... tree frogs are cool as shit. So are dragonflies. The YL has a neato dragonfly tat.

KG4CGC
07-20-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm really very much a lot allergic to poison ivy, fire ants and ant species that bite with acid, some types of bees more than others and medical epinephrine. Just found out about that one while at the dentist. Maybe it was the mix of Novocaine and epi that they use now. Didn't have a full reaction but my throat started closing up. He stopped the dosage and in a couple of minutes I was OK. From now on I have to be driven there and back as I must be put under strong drugs vs oral anesthesia.

NQ6U
07-20-2014, 08:55 PM
I have the common allergy to nickel [...]

Me too, and I discovered that the alloy called white gold, which is what our wedding bands are made of, contains it. I have to take mine off periodically for several weeks at a time.

K7SGJ
07-20-2014, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=WØTKX;599648]I have the common allergy to nickel [...] /QUOTE]

Me too, and I discovered that the alloy called white gold, which is what our wedding bands are made of, contains it. I have to take mine off periodically for several weeks at a time.

Usually while at the nunnery?

W3NCH
08-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Lol

N2NH
08-10-2014, 07:02 AM
No, I don't wear any ink. If I ever do, it must be sacred. Nothing and everything is sacred.

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12867&stc=1

kb2vxa
08-10-2014, 07:38 AM

ad4mg
08-10-2014, 09:22 AM

VE7DCW
08-12-2014, 06:26 PM

As Groucho used to say on You Bet your Life...... " say the secret word and win a hundred dollars....."

The secret word is .......... "bushtits" :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
08-12-2014, 06:43 PM
As Groucho used to say on You Bet your Life...... " say the secret word and win a hundred dollars....."

The secret word is .......... "bushtits" :mrgreen:

Where is the duck that drops down with the money?

NM5TF
08-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Where is the duck that drops down with the money?

it ain't no duck...it's a....R U ready 4 it...it's a BUSHTIT of course :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::hittingself::hittingself: :hittingself:

kb2vxa
08-15-2014, 09:52 AM
The bushtit delivers a hundred bucks that trample the stage, the duck comes down and poops on your head, the bird of paradise flies up your nose and lays an egg behind your eyeballs. Did you think I forgot why we call you egghead, George? You Bet Your Life I didn't! No matter what it is or who commenced it, I'm against it.

n0km
10-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Hello to all of you out there in misfit land! Another ham told me about this site on 160 last night, and now he denies that he encouraged me to join. :) Hope that I will misfit right in.

I am in my fifties, been a ham since 16, and try to stay active.

Maybe I'll think of something else to say before long.

Dave

K7SGJ
10-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Welcome Dave. Pull up a rum barrel and enjoy the view. Our resident bartender will be along to take your order, and our resident Pope will be along to hear your confession and see if you want to meet Sister Hottie.

PA5COR
10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Welcome Dave, have some fun here ;)

NQ6U
10-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Welcome Dave. [...] our resident Pope will be along to hear your confession and see if you want to meet Sister Hottie.

Drop and give me twenty Hail Marys.

Domini Domini Domini [waving aspergillum and flinging cheap vodka around rather than holy water]. Okay, you're forgiven. Go, and sin no more.

BTW, sinning in this case means saying "N0KM for ID" on your local repeater. If you have an unforgiven incident of that on your soul when you die you go straight to amateur radio hell, where your transmitter's VFO is permanently tuned to the MMSN at 14.300 MHz.

Yours in Marconi,

Da Pope

WØTKX
10-16-2014, 02:41 PM
N0KM is a local I've been talking to for a long time. He heard about this site from another local that we both know.

Mostly because we are librul loons, because that just ain't "right".
According to the guy that sent him here. :lol:

But Dave is an even keeled decent guy, pragmatic critical thinker.
Similar to our man Ron with the baseball bat.

Nice to see ya here Dave!

Frank, WB4CIW, signed up too, we'll see if he posts anything. ;)

K7SGJ
10-16-2014, 03:09 PM
N0KM is a local I've been talking to for a long time. He heard about this site from another local that we both know.

Mostly because we are librul loons, because that just ain't "right".
According to the guy that sent him here. :lol:

But Dave is an even keeled decent guy, pragmatic critical thinker.
Similar to our man Ron with the baseball bat.

So............he's a Tea Party Member?

ad4mg
10-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Welcome aboard, Dave! Frank needs to reply to the email address confirmation the board sent him so I can add him to the list of victims members... :-D

WX7P
10-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Ham radio sure is swell, kilo mexico...

...even if you ARE a friend of the Miata Man

kb2vxa
10-16-2014, 07:10 PM
"BTW, sinning in this case means saying "N0KM for ID" on your local repeater."

To that I'll add saying destinated when you arrive in the mobile and saying your phonetics N0 Kiddin' Man instead of 10-4. You won't like Ham Hell, due to circumcisions beyond control that's where I'm posting from having no antennas and a bunch of radios gathering dust. You'll like our Island, we're not Misfits for nothing and I'm a Misfit everywhere I go, clues are in my official title and my avatar. If you can make it here you can make it anywheer... welcome, we'll leave the light on for you.

WØTKX
10-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Well, now's he's skeered. :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
10-16-2014, 07:37 PM
I don't blame him. I'm new here, and I'm skeered shitless of all of you, too.

WØTKX
10-16-2014, 07:48 PM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/ea8b4b20e28e9d0561b5a263183171d3/tumblr_n0k1dkXeZS1t04x43o1_500.gif

n0km
10-16-2014, 10:20 PM
I also turned off the safety feature switch on my youtube account, so there is no hope...........:scared:

WØTKX
10-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Mighty Marv told me to get a Vimeo account.
It's pretty neat, especially for music videos.

KG4CGC
10-16-2014, 11:01 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Copy_of_IMG_01731_zpsd1f9f3ae.jpg

W7XF
10-16-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't blame him. I'm new here, and I'm skeered shitless of all of you, too.

I thought you didn't give a rat's ass.

VE7DCW
10-16-2014, 11:27 PM
I thought you didn't give a rat's ass.

I see a terrific theme for Eddie coming up! :rofl:

KC2UGV
10-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Hello to all of you out there in misfit land! Another ham told me about this site on 160 last night, and now he denies that he encouraged me to join. :) Hope that I will misfit right in.

I am in my fifties, been a ham since 16, and try to stay active.

Maybe I'll think of something else to say before long.

Dave

Aw hell! Who was that sumnabetch?!?!

j/k mate, welcome to Island! Seriously, who was it? :P

WØTKX
10-17-2014, 10:04 AM
It was me, by way of a local ragchewer who won't show up here after reading some of our (my) posts. Oh well.

Stay tuned. :mrgreen:

KJ3N
10-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Frank needs to reply to the email address confirmation the board sent him so I can add him to the list of victims members... :-D

I think you had it right the first time. :muhahaha:

WØTKX
10-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Frank is a great guy. And a JT-65 enthusiast.

K7SGJ
10-17-2014, 11:57 AM
I see a terrific theme for Eddie coming up! :rofl:

Just what I need, another "theme" name.

Most all of the members of a local group I belong to, have said "fuck you Eddie" so much, that I am now introduced to new members as Fuck You Eddie. I was thinking about having my name legally changed, but I figured the judge would probably look at the petition and say, "Fuck You Eddie".

WØTKX
10-17-2014, 01:36 PM
http://youtu.be/M0HPdut6qio

http://youtu.be/M0HPdut6qio

n0km
10-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Does getting Impeached from a 2 Meter repeater club count for anything?? I didn't even get a t-shirt or a helicopter ride....:(

WØTKX
10-18-2014, 05:51 PM
That's funneh Dave. What repeater? Did you make comments about knobs? :mrgreen:

NQ6U
10-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Does getting Impeached from a 2 Meter repeater club count for anything??

Damned rebel scum! (You'll do well here.)

n0km
10-19-2014, 02:58 PM
I got tired of traveling to Taos each month or so for a club meeting with little or nothing on the agenda. So I said we would have the next one in about six months or so, unless something pretty important comes up. A couple of months later I find that someone else is Pres, so I decided with that kind of treatment I would do something different. Years later that club merged into a Santa Fe club. Kind of funny given that the club was originally a Southern Colorado club. Somehow, the repeater has stayed up, but almost zero activity.

WØTKX
10-19-2014, 04:28 PM
OIC. Politics. :mrgreen:

VE7DCW
10-19-2014, 05:38 PM
OIC. Politics. :mrgreen:

Politics...... now there's a subject that's quite taboo here on The Island! :rofl:

WØTKX
10-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm waiting for Dave to dive in somewhere, but I bet he'll be more interested in the music and technical threads.

Yoohoo, Frank? Tap tap tap, is this thing on?

K7SGJ
10-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Please don't spit into the mic.

WØTKX
10-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Belch! Packet burst. :evil:

n0km
10-20-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm waiting for Dave to dive in somewhere, but I bet he'll be more interested in the music and technical threads.

Yoohoo, Frank? Tap tap tap, is this thing on?

You guys have been treating me with kid gloves, and I've been enjoying it! :-D

K7SGJ
10-20-2014, 12:40 PM
You guys have been treating me with kid gloves, and I've been enjoying it! :-D

Once you get past 10 posts, you will be unmercifully harassed, by a select few of us anyway.

KG4NEL
10-20-2014, 09:05 PM
They can't do that to our pledges...

K7SGJ
10-20-2014, 09:46 PM

How the hell did you squeak through unscathed?

KG4CGC
10-20-2014, 10:46 PM
I got tired of traveling to Taos each month or so for a club meeting with little or nothing on the agenda. So I said we would have the next one in about six months or so, unless something pretty important comes up. A couple of months later I find that someone else is Pres, so I decided with that kind of treatment I would do something different. Years later that club merged into a Santa Fe club. Kind of funny given that the club was originally a Southern Colorado club. Somehow, the repeater has stayed up, but almost zero activity.

Be glad it's modern times. In the past, they would have just killed ya and mounted your head on a spike as a warning to others.

WØTKX
10-20-2014, 11:36 PM
:lol:

Like I said.. POLITICS!

:monkeydance:

KJ3N
10-21-2014, 06:16 AM

Only we can do that to our pledges.

http://www.movingimage.us/images/calendar/media/AnimalHouse_web2-detail-main.jpg

n0km
10-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Once you get past 10 posts, you will be unmercifully harassed, by a select few of us anyway.

Thank you sir, may I have another !!!!

KC4TIR
02-01-2015, 11:33 AM
I am new to the list. I guess I belong on the island because I like Cubic and Signal One radios.
Don KC4TIR

KG4CGC
02-01-2015, 11:40 AM
I am new to the list. I guess I belong on the island because I like Cubic and Signal One radios.
Don KC4TIR

Welcome, Don.

KG4NEL
02-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Welcome!

PA5COR
02-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Welcome to our shores ;)

N2CHX
02-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Welcome. What's a radio?

n0iu
02-01-2015, 02:41 PM

But don't believe anything you read here...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-glKGjp50Ug/hqdefault.jpg

"You fucked up, you trusted us!"

K7SGJ
02-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Welcome to the FNG. Fell free to jump right in. Here, you needn't worry about over moderation, just a lot of over MODULATION.

N8YX
02-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Don KC4TIR
Welcome, Don!

If ye seek things Cubic, I have them measured in tons ... :yes:

KG4NEL
02-01-2015, 03:42 PM
But don't believe anything you read here...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-glKGjp50Ug/hqdefault.jpg

"You fucked up, you trusted us!"

They even took the things we didn't steal!

NQ6U
02-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Don KC4TIR

Welcome, Don!

I live in San Diego, the home of Cubic (which still exists, BTW—they make fare collection machines for public transit) and I own a Cubic ST-3B antenna tuner.

KC4TIR
02-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Welcome, Don!

If ye seek things Cubic, I have them measured in tons ... :yes:

I would like another ASTRO D.
DON KC4RIR

VE7DCW
02-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Welcome, Don!

I live in San Diego, the home of Cubic (which still exists, BTW—they make fare collection machines for public transit) and I own a Cubic ST-1B antenna tuner.

......and basically you have to watch out for that BeeSo character.....really watch out for him. :shifty:

:mrgreen:

KC4TIR
02-01-2015, 07:28 PM
hey!!!!! If you will not sell me an Astro D at least sell me an ST 4.

N8YX
02-02-2015, 05:41 PM
hey!!!!! If you will not sell me an Astro D at least sell me an ST 4.
An ST-4...help me out here. Is that the remote control random wire tuner which was offered to mate up with the Astro D and Astro 150C versions?

I do have three -Ds sitting here at the moment and all three are going to need some work. I may sell one of them.

KC4TIR
02-02-2015, 06:01 PM
The st 4 came in some suit cases, I used mine with an outback antenna. The bad news is it was stolen. I bought another system and it has an st 5 in the case. my plan was if I could find an st 4 I would leave the system intack oter wise I am going to use the astro d, which works fine, in my jeep wrangler. This would give me ten meters and cb. I have 3 of the 150a ubits, all need work. Also have you ever seen a mobile mount for the 150 or astro d?

N8YX
02-02-2015, 07:32 PM
The st 4 came in some suit cases, I used mine with an outback antenna. The bad news is it was stolen. I bought another system and it has an st 5 in the case. my plan was if I could find an st 4 I would leave the system intack oter wise I am going to use the astro d, which works fine, in my jeep wrangler. This would give me ten meters and cb. I have 3 of the 150a ubits, all need work. Also have you ever seen a mobile mount for the 150 or astro d?

The commercial version of the MMBX mini-matcher? The ST-5 tuner is the only one I've ever seen packaged with the suitcase Astro units.

An ST-4 remote matcher (of which I have a prototype) is almost as big as the suitcases themselves.

I have heard of a mobile mount for the Astro series but haven't seen one. Since the rigs are the same width as the Swan Astro, a Swan mount could be used as well.

KC4TIR
02-02-2015, 07:57 PM
I guess I am wrong, it has been almost twenty years. But I thought I rembered not having to do much to tune the whip. I am sure that it looked different than the ST 5. I guess I will make a mount because I do not have a 150 mobile mount. I welded up the gross bar mount for the jeep and have it installed so onward ever onward. Don

KC4TIR
02-02-2015, 07:58 PM
I mrant cross bar.

N8YX
02-02-2015, 07:59 PM
If you haven't heard of the outfit, look up American-Milspec. They occasionally list Cubic stuff for sale on their site.

KC4TIR
02-02-2015, 09:58 PM
What I do need badly is the seven pin acessory plug on the back of the D. Don

KC4TIR
02-03-2015, 03:26 AM
I was wrong mine is 9 pin. It was driving mr crazy, I knew I had seen these. While laying in bed it hit me where, on the back of my lathe dro. So out to the shop I went, sure enough that was it. So checking ebay, there they were. So bottom line no stinking plug needed. If you need part number for amphenol let me know. Don

N8YX
02-03-2015, 04:22 AM
There were two versions of that circular Amphenol connector (7 and 9 pin) used with Cubic's various gear. A$k me how I know... :-|

BTW, an eBay seller was offering the voice scrambler module which plugs into one of those connectors...on the Astro D.

ETA: Still there. Do a search for "TCC 105RP".

KC4TIR
02-03-2015, 04:53 AM
So another person who does not sleep regular hours. My D that was stolen had a scrambler like that. You should here the racket they make in a regular radio. That damn tuner is still driving me crazy, could it be it was not a Cubic product? I know it connected to the large molex on the back of the radio. Funny that the dro had the same exact plug as the radio and the manual even gave the part number.

KC4TIR
02-03-2015, 04:56 AM
I take you foun out the hard way about the 7 and 9 pin plugs? I have a instillation manual for the D, dated 1982, if you need a copy.Don

N8YX
02-03-2015, 07:13 PM
I take you foun out the hard way about the 7 and 9 pin plugs? I have a instillation manual for the D, dated 1982, if you need a copy.Don
I have almost every manual printed for those rigs, Don - with the exception of the ST-4. It's a Cubic product, all right...at least the one I have is. Connects to the rectangular Molex receptacle on the back of the set. There is band info and control sequencing data present on the lines. In the tuner itself, a 74154 decodes the band data lines and engages a rotary switch to "preset" the tuner range by selecting taps on a coil. One tunes the antenna system via adjustment of compression trimmers for each band of interest.

The two circular Amp connectors are used for various things on different models: None of my Astro 15xA (amateur band coverage) have them, all of my Astro 150C rigs use both types and my Astro D has the 9 pin type for audio and PTT I/O.

N8YX
02-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Some Cubic rack mount goodness. Presented here is the so-called "Cubic Kilowatt", of which 20 were made. It's combined with an even rarer Astro-DR, which will eventually be connected to that ST-4 I mentioned.

NQ6U
02-03-2015, 08:26 PM
The ATU on that thing uses the same forward and reflected power meters as my ST-3B.